Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The first season of Murder in the First on TNT had just one case that took up the whole season, from investigation to trial and a little after. The second season largely abandoned that structure, but still only focused on two or three investigations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks, at least one person found those examples amusing.

I guess my problem is that I binge-watched all the episdoes on the weekend so the artifice of solving one crime and then getting assigned to another one immediately after without even one day between cases to type up a report really stood out.
Also noticed how Decker and Luci stomp through crime scenes and handle evidence without gloves and basically ignore all standard procedures.

Tiggum posted:

That sounds terrible.

I don't know how closely you are watching this show but there is an overarching unsolved crime being investigated that's being very slowly revealed and might not even be resolved or concluded in Season 1. Sorry you think that sounds terrible but it's important to Decker's character arc.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Binary Logic posted:

I don't know how closely you are watching this show but there is an overarching unsolved crime being investigated that's being very slowly revealed and might not even be resolved or concluded in Season 1.

Then what in the world are you bitching about?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TMMadman posted:

You would have been better off going with the Law & Order shows, but that's because that stuff is the whole premise of them.

It's not explicitly emphasized in Law & Order, but the trial stuff takes place 6-8 weeks after the guy gets arrested.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Broadchurch does the whole shebang, though the season with the trial kinda sucked.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
"You'll make an embarrassing spectacle to help the case, it's what you do".

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
"The devil usually has IMPECCABLE Gaydar." It's hard not to love this show.

Edit: And now we get to see if the theory holds where he's only mortal-ish around Decker.

Edit 2: Oh, look. He is!

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 12, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Did not see that coming.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

AAaahahaha. This is wonderful. Luci is piiiiissed.

Edit: Luci figured it out! Now things get fun.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 12, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That was definitely one of my favorites so far. Maze was fun, we got some more mythology, Lucifer gets to do what he does best. Good stuff. Really looking forward to seeing that brawl from the preview.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Interesting. Apparently Lucifer is only vulnerable around Chloe.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Astrofig posted:

Interesting. Apparently Lucifer is only vulnerable around Chloe.

Which holds up to the long-standing theory of this thread that she's some sort of divine offspring and that's why his powers don't work on her (or, apparently, around her now in some cases).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite part of this episode was the guy completely believing Lucifer about what the coin was, no questions asked.

It's not like one of his titles is Lord of Lies or anything, just "Welp, ok cool" and that's it.

Thinking maybe that time in the coma done gave him the brain damage.

EVEN if it does turn out that yes, he wasn't lying, that is still one loving MASSIVE gamble to make at the moment. Not even a thought of "Let me just kill him and take the coin" or anything, just "Yup. I'm out!"

I love this show :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I like them explaining why he was eating so much though, it was touching.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Could Chloe be Lucifer's half-sister or something like that?! Cousins? (Maybe that's why he didn't have sex with her when the opportunity was there?)

"The Devil does indeed wear Prada" - Saint Lucifer. :devil:

Also funny was that Amenadiel won't take a drink of wine - but will get to 'know' Maze in the Biblical sense.

SiKboy posted:

Then what in the world are you bitching about?

Okay I'm only going to explain this once more, and then restrict my comments to enjoyment of the series and storylines.

In this episode, the philanthropist's wife publicly 'confessed' . But she had not been read her rights so the confession would not be admissible in court. She would need to be arrested, offered a lawyer, statement taken, Decker would have to gather evidence, get witness statements, wait for the coroner's report, type up all the notes, etc etc. She'd work on this case for weeks.
However tomorrow (ie next episode) this will all be forgotten and Chloe will be assigned a new homicide case. Because Lucifer. Or because "police procedural". This 'murderer of the week' angle is the weakest, or thinnest, part of the show for me.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The murder of the week part of the show is the lamest part, but if the only thing dumbest and less interesting than tv police procedurals is actual real procedurals. What you describe would be far worse television.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Binary Logic posted:

In this episode, the philanthropist's wife publicly 'confessed' . But she had not been read her rights so the confession would not be admissible in court. She would need to be arrested, offered a lawyer, statement taken, Decker would have to gather evidence, get witness statements, wait for the coroner's report, type up all the notes, etc etc. She'd work on this case for weeks.
However tomorrow (ie next episode) this will all be forgotten and Chloe will be assigned a new homicide case. Because Lucifer. Or because "police procedural". This 'murderer of the week' angle is the weakest, or thinnest, part of the show for me.

I don't know how closely you are watching this show but there is an overarching unsolved crime being investigated that's being very slowly revealed and might not even be resolved or concluded in Season 1.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think my favorite part of this episode was the guy completely believing Lucifer about what the coin was, no questions asked.

The dude puts Tabasco on Korean food, you can't expect logical thought from the insane.

Binary Logic posted:

In this episode, the philanthropist's wife publicly 'confessed' . But she had not been read her rights so the confession would not be admissible in court.

She confessed on stage in a crowded room after beings asked what she wanted. Her confession would most certainly be admissible. The police and prosecution are 100% not penalized for you yelling out how you killed someone just by their showing up and saying "gotcha" without doing anything else. Now if Decker arrested her without mentioning her rights and then while in custody she made a confession, that would have some issues with being admitted.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I thought the whole 'inadmissible if they don't read you your rights' thing was a myth----isn't that only if they're going to question you?

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Not sure if it's been specifically mentioned in the show, in the comics Luci doesn't lie and makes it a point not too.

In the show he's complained about how humanity has him all wrong. He was more than likely telling the truth about the coin although the cop wouldn't know that. The main reason the guy didn't shoot Luci was because he would just end up back in hell when he died anyway.

Edit: Also, being the person who sends Lucifer back to hell is probably a bad idea since you'd end up there when you die with a very angry Lord of Hell waiting for you. Coin or not he'd be tortured more than anyone has been tortured in the history of torture.

Titan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 12, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget, he also said that angels can't kill mortals.

Here's hoping for that dude's sake that he wasn't bending the truth a bit on that one as well, because I am pretty sure Amenadiel would gladly gently caress that dude up if given the chance.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Astrofig posted:

I thought the whole 'inadmissible if they don't read you your rights' thing was a myth----isn't that only if they're going to question you?

More or less, after you're arrested and are being questioned you have to be made aware of your rights. However if you just start saying/yelling poo poo at the cops while they're talking to you on the street or in their squad car while in transit, well that's on you being a dummy. Not being read your rights just makes things harder for the DA, it's not a magic spell that the lack of utterance means your attorney gets to go legally hog wild and you get to skip on home.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I just wanted to ask, that bit at the end with a knife, it seems like he hesitated after he unsheathed it before cutting himself. Had he planned to use it on Chloe?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pan Dulce posted:

I just wanted to ask, that bit at the end with a knife, it seems like he hesitated after he unsheathed it before cutting himself. Had he planned to use it on Chloe?

That's what I had thought as well! It woulda meshed well with what she was saying about trust and vulnerability very nicely.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think it was a mix of apprehension of the pain and the forthcoming knowledge that he's vulnerable around her.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's not like one of his titles is Lord of Lies or anything, just "Welp, ok cool" and that's it.

Thinking maybe that time in the coma done gave him the brain damage.

EVEN if it does turn out that yes, he wasn't lying, that is still one loving MASSIVE gamble to make at the moment. Not even a thought of "Let me just kill him and take the coin" or anything, just "Yup. I'm out!"

I love this show :allears:

It was kinda strange because for someone who wanted to avoid going back to hell, and who thought that meant killing Lucifer, he sure wasn't in any big hurry to do so. It's almost like he really didn't want to do it, even though nothing about him says anything other than "bad guy".

Pan Dulce posted:

I thought he was going to ask her to cut him, but the method he used worked just as well. I don't think he had any murderous intentions towards her. It might in fact not be possible for him to kill her (technically still an angel).

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I thought he was going to ask her to cut him, but the method he used worked just as well. I don't think he had any murderous intentions towards her. It might in fact not be possible for him to kill her (technically still an angel).

I thought he was going to stab himself in his leg in front of her or something.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I could see him having a more dramatic plan that changed once she started talking.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

Also funny was that Amenadiel won't take a drink of wine - but will get to 'know' Maze in the Biblical sense.

My favorite part of that scene has to be that instead of getting the big dramatic "hand pushes against fogged over window" shot that's always in these sorts of scenes we get Amanadiel's wings snapping out and nearly shattering the drat back window.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It is interesting that the only Devil power he seems to lose in Decker's presence is immortality. Still can do the demon face, force desire from people other than Chloe, make everyone attracted to men horny, and apparently has super strength.

Actually, we know that at least at first he was still immortal, since the record producer shot him a few times as Chloe was bleeding out. The only thing that never worked around her was the whole hypnotic demand of what she desired.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Gyges posted:

Actually, we know that at least at first he was still immortal, since the record producer shot him a few times as Chloe was bleeding out.
As opposed to the "nephilim in some manner" theory, it could be possible that whatever he did to save her in that situation is the root cause.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Has that ever happened in any TV show ever?

The Wire, though they don't really go much into the court aspects of it aside from the Bird case.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

bio347 posted:

As opposed to the "nephilim in some manner" theory, it could be possible that whatever he did to save her in that situation is the root cause.

That's a solid theory. When he saved her maybe he had to give her some of his "Grace" or Angelic Light. Whatever it is that makes him an Angel, and it created a sort of bond between them. Luci is vulnerable around her and Chloe has said that she feels vulnerable around him as well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Titan posted:

That's a solid theory. When he saved her maybe he had to give her some of his "Grace"

Supernatural fan spotted

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Didn't he try the 'tell me what you want' trick before she got shot, and was confused when she blew him off? It'll be interesting to see what happens with all of it, I hope they at least really progress that plotline this season, and don't try to drag it out for the life of the show.

Theory If Luci raising Chloe makes Luci vulnerable around Chloe, then maybe the way he gets rid of Amenadiel is to put him near glutton coma cop, whom Amenadiel recently raised.

I was kinda disappointed that glutton cop hadn't even considered that murder would eventually lead him back to hell until Luci pointed it out. You'd think after what he went through figuring out exactly what to avoid to not go back to hell would be a major priority for him. I also hope if he lasts a few seasons that he gains weight like hell, now what we know it's just a mental thing causing him to eat so drat much now.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was kinda disappointed that glutton cop hadn't even considered that murder would eventually lead him back to hell until Luci pointed it out. You'd think after what he went through figuring out exactly what to avoid to not go back to hell would be a major priority for him. I also hope if he lasts a few seasons that he gains weight like hell, now what we know it's just a mental thing causing him to eat so drat much now.

He was offered a deal to get out of hell. He probably wasn't in the right frame of mind to truly analyze it, and after he was free the angel who let him go told him that he'd be killed if he didn't follow through. It's not like he had a whole lot of options to mull over.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

counterfeitsaint posted:

Didn't he try the 'tell me what you want' trick before she got shot, and was confused when she blew him off? It'll be interesting to see what happens with all of it, I hope they at least really progress that plotline this season, and don't try to drag it out for the life of the show.

Theory If Luci raising Chloe makes Luci vulnerable around Chloe, then maybe the way he gets rid of Amenadiel is to put him near glutton coma cop, whom Amenadiel recently raised.

More importantly, if you basically have proof not only of the afterlife but that Christianity is the true path, you're actually good to go. Kill Luci, go hog wild on sinning for a little bit. Get it all out of your system. Then repent, accept Jesus, and be a good boy. Sweet, easy, trip to paradise right there.

Also I kept reading that as Gluten Coma Cop.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gyges posted:

More importantly, if you basically have proof not only of the afterlife but that Christianity is the true path, you're actually good to go. Kill Luci, go hog wild on sinning for a little bit. Get it all out of your system. Then repent, accept Jesus, and be a good boy. Sweet, easy, trip to paradise right there.

Also I kept reading that as Gluten Coma Cop.

"Christianity" is pretty vague though. Generally these sort of stories involving christian mythology lean towards Catholicism. Wouldn't murder of Luci be a mortal sin, and afterwards he is hosed no matter how hard he repents, or does it only apply to killing humans? Catholics aren't generally the 'repent and accept Jesus and you're good' sort, but god drat if there aren't some loopholes. Can he buy an indulgence? Maybe he can pull that recently blessed church doorway nonsense from Dogma.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm Jewish, but the way I figure it is that if you kill the literal devil on the command of a literal angel it prolly doesn't count as a sin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

counterfeitsaint posted:

"Christianity" is pretty vague though. Generally these sort of stories involving christian mythology lean towards Catholicism. Wouldn't murder of Luci be a mortal sin, and afterwards he is hosed no matter how hard he repents, or does it only apply to killing humans? Catholics aren't generally the 'repent and accept Jesus and you're good' sort, but god drat if there aren't some loopholes. Can he buy an indulgence? Maybe he can pull that recently blessed church doorway nonsense from Dogma.

Mortal sins are bad, but you can still confess to a priest and be forgiven. Obviously dude is going to need to be super religious, but then he's actually been to hell so that shouldn't be an issue. Mortal Sins' ticket to hell is entirely refundable, as with all sins. The only unforgivable sin is rejecting Christ and never repenting.

A combination of baptism and confession can cure the spiritual wounds from any sin.

Admittedly, killing a "defenseless" Satan isn't really a theological minefield previously trodden, so maybe there are 2 unforgivable sins.

• Locked thread