Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Flyinglemur posted:

And why haven't the judges asked her to contour or add breasts yet?

I'm guessing because Naomi is waifishisly thin. Chi Chi has broader shoulders and a more muscular build, so she looks more masculine. Naomi is the president of the itty bitty titty committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Just watched the episode. What the hell? Derrick's outfit is cheap and Robbie's is a mishmash, but Chi Chi's outfit looks way, way worse than anyone's up there, she definitely should've landed in the bottom two. She'd do a much better lipsync than what we have too, the song is so high energy but neither Derrick nor Robbie was giving much.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Watching Untucked it's clear that Robbie's wig flip was an accident.

Still though, secure your wig, girl!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

These LSFYL have been really off compared to the rest of the episodes. Not sure if it's just the song choices or something else, but they've been kind of underwhelming.

I do feel for Thorgy though. It's like she's the Jan to Bob's Marsha and even though she brings it and brings it well she still ends up in second. Really hoping the next episode is hers to win though.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Was my cable company's feed off or did Derrick not know the lyrics to the song? It looked like he was mouthing "rhubarb" the whole time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

criscodisco posted:

Was my cable company's feed off or did Derrick not know the lyrics to the song? It looked like he was mouthing "rhubarb" the whole time.

As far as I could tell Derrick was definitely saying all the words.

Also that was actually a really good performance by Derrick, those pop star moves mean he can really turn it out.

Really looking forward to next week's election commercial challenge, the queens pair up to attack each other and I have high expectations after S5's perfume commercial challenge.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

You fucker

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So glad Naomi pulled out that great couture look this week. I wish the judges would've read her on those lingerie looks earlier so she'd have stepped up to the plate instead of coasting through the first five episodes.

lol @ Derrick's ranting at Chi Chi in Untucked "Look at this piece of poo poo I'm wearing, I sewed all of it. Look at these HEMS." I guess you get an A for Effort but girl you look just as messy as Chi Chi. At least you're padded and drew on some titties.

Not impressed with Chi Chi's attitude. Step up your game, the bare minimum of gluegun fashion is not going to cut it.

Is it me or have the runways been really weak overall this season? Kim Chi, Acid Betty, and Thorgy seem like the only queens who can consistently turn it out. Bob and now Naomi have been mostly OK with a couple great looks (curtain purse Bob, this week's Naomi). Everyone else has honestly been really weak on the runway and sewing/garment construction competitions.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Is it me or have the runways been really weak overall this season?

To back you up on both points: The stupidity of GlueGunGate was underscored when Michelle mentioned that DeLa was a hot glue gunner and they showed her in that amazing Golden Girls dress. It looked better than anything that was on this episode's runway, save Kim Chi's look (natch).

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I'm just glad we didn't have Santino Moldy rear end Rice talking about GlueGunGate, because you know he always read fashion incorrectly and bitched about hems. Marc Jacobs, an actual successful designer, has said it's fine.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Marc Jacobs is definitely on my list of guest judges who need to stick around longer, along with Leah Remini (to annoy Michelle), Chris Stein, Gillian Jacobs (gave great critiques) and Dita Von Teese (just because).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Marc Jacobs is definitely on my list of guest judges who need to stick around longer, along with Leah Remini (to annoy Michelle), Chris Stein, Gillian Jacobs (gave great critiques) and Dita Von Teese (just because).

I was dying at his comments about KimChi's ceremonial passing of the brooms.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Chi Chi and the lady he had made me really happy with the little motivational moment :3: Thorgy's attitude was kind of lovely to me which was disappointing.

Jesus, it's sad that the most realistic conversation about being a woman with dwarfism that I've ever seen on TV is on a reality competition show for drag queens. Props to RPDR for having confident dwarf women on the show.

LSFYL results were what I expected based on the performance.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Tendai posted:

Chi Chi and the lady he had made me really happy with the little motivational moment :3: Thorgy's attitude was kind of lovely to me which was disappointing.

Jesus, it's sad that the most realistic conversation about being a woman with dwarfism that I've ever seen on TV is on a reality competition show for drag queens. Props to RPDR for having confident dwarf women on the show.

LSFYL results were what I expected based on the performance.

little women la is kind of bad but it's entertaining and the girls have some really poignant conversations when they're not all screaming at each other

I certainly learned a whole lot about LP culture from watching it that I had no idea about from it. I just wish they didn't play up the stupid crazy drama so much there is just so much yelling

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 13, 2016

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Troposphere posted:

little women la is kind of bad but it's entertaining and the girls have some really poignant conversations when they're not all screaming at each other

I remember the one who is a Britney impersonator from MTV's True Life like 15 years ago. It followed her as she was trying to break into show business, a guy getting surgery to lengthen his legs, and a girl who needed a scooter to be mobile and was dating a guy who was over 6 feet (he ended up being a creep, and when she dumped him, they followed him to little people meetups as he sought out a new girlfriend).

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Nihonniboku posted:

I remember the one who is a Britney impersonator from MTV's True Life like 15 years ago. It followed her as she was trying to break into show business, a guy getting surgery to lengthen his legs, and a girl who needed a scooter to be mobile and was dating a guy who was over 6 feet (he ended up being a creep, and when she dumped him, they followed him to little people meetups as he sought out a new girlfriend).

she's the ultimate poo poo stirrer of the group which is seen on untucked

of course she has her own show now

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The cowardly lion outfits really would have been a million times better if they had the giant mane that Linda Evangelista wore in the Too Funky video.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Pigasus posted:

I screamed, "No!" at that wig toss. Robbie Turner should have known better...

Yeah seriously, my fiancee and I did the same thing. Although we're just watching Untucked while I post this and someone mentioned it might have been a mistake.

spite house posted:

Ru went *way* out of his way to emphasize that the challenge was based on the book "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz", not the 1939 movie. The former is in the public domain, the latter emphatically isn't, and Dorothy's shoes are silver in the book, not ruby slippers (which might well also be a registered trademark.) Chi Chi could have been specifically told to avoid red shoes for this reason.

I'm glad you posted this because I was so confused as to why they had no red shoes and it didn't even get read by the judges. This makes a lot more sense.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Derrick Barry's Oscar Moment was seriously wonderful and one of the funniest things I've seen on the show. She's going to be hard to beat in a lip sync competition.

Robbie's look was busted as all hell and Chi Chi was just a dude in a ratty dress what the heck. I'll miss Robbie.

What the hell was that dream sequence nonsense though, that must have been supremely cringe worthy in person.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

The cowardly lion outfits really would have been a million times better if they had the giant mane that Linda Evangelista wore in the Too Funky video.

And if Robbie hadn't dressed someone with an already stout physique in something so bulky that it made her look like a throw pillow with a face.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Derrick may not be great in a lot of things, but she definitely showed her skill in professional lipsyncing for Vegas crowds. She will definitely be hard to beat.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I thought Derrick's outfit was pretty trash and Chi Chi's was pretty middling, but yoooooooooo Bob's was like, straight off the rack poo poo. I know, book, not movie, but Glinda probably wasn't wearing something my mom wore to the theater in the late '90's, either.

Kim Chi's and Naomi's looks were beyond stellar, though, dang.

Also nthing jesus christ robbie keep your loving wig on, what are you even thinking

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

And if Robbie hadn't dressed someone with an already stout physique in something so bulky that it made her look like a throw pillow with a face.
Yeah, oof. That was not good.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Deathlove posted:

Also nthing jesus christ robbie keep your loving wig on, what are you even thinking

Now that Untucked has aired, it seems Robbie's wig came off without him actually pulling it away from his head. It came unpinned.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Purse First Purse is my favorite recurring character.

Oh my God Derrick stop talking I don't care

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Poor Derrick. So many ferociously smart people on this season and he... isn't.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm just happy to see Naomi doing something truly different. She earned her place in the competition tonight and I hope she keeps brining it like that instead of just going with evening wear.

And yeah Derrick has looks and performance chops but good lord that knife ain't sharp and her costume building skills are the worst.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bina posted:

Now that Untucked has aired, it seems Robbie's wig came off without him actually pulling it away from his head. It came unpinned.

That's not better! Robbie, I wanted better for you.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

Derrick Barry's Oscar Moment was seriously wonderful and one of the funniest things I've seen on the show. She's going to be hard to beat in a lip sync competition.

Robbie's look was busted as all hell and Chi Chi was just a dude in a ratty dress what the heck. I'll miss Robbie.

What the hell was that dream sequence nonsense though, that must have been supremely cringe worthy in person.

I'm pretty sure that it's actually a really great reference to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXlRG73ciaA .

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

garthoneeye posted:

Watching Untucked it's clear that Robbie's wig flip was an accident.

Still though, secure your wig, girl!

Yeah it was definitely accidental. She didn't rip it off, she caught it when it flew off.

If I knew I was up for elimination, I'd be sticking every hairpin in my arsenal in that hat. Hell, I'd probably use a staple gun.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Whew, I finally got the log on to my friend's parents' Direct TV account so I have been able to catch up on Drag Race this season (and seriously, gently caress Logo for pulling that poo poo. Logo, you used to be the best, with every episode of every past season available free without ads or log ons, sigh).

Watching Untucked, the thing that always cracks me up is that after the queen is eliminated they have to do their confessional good-bye with the RuPaul statue (also wtf is that poo poo?), THEN they have to write on the mirror, THEN they have to pack up all their clothes and poo poo and leave, BEFORE all the other queens come in to undress. I keep thinking 'drat, the others must be sitting around forever waiting while some of these queens slowly pack their poo poo up while they wax philosophical about their personal drag race journey.

This season has been good so far, and seems to have separated itself from the production meddling and overuse of acting challenges of last season. But whereas last season (in my opinion) still had AMAZING runways every week despite lackluster maxi-challenges, I feel like this season has had better challenges and lackluster runways.

Also I have been waiting for 8 season for a "snatch those tips" mini-challenge where the queens are put in one of those swirling air booths and have to try to catch the most RuPaul bucks.....but now that I think about it, Rupaul seems to shy away from the 'performing in a club for tips' aspect of drag, and lean more into the 'trying to become a singer, spokesperson, or YouTube star', so I guess I'm not surprised.

With the Reading mini-challenge this week - this is another one that by now should be expected. If I were a contestant on this show, I would already be working out funny things to shade the other contestants the first second they walked in. You know it's coming!

I really hope we don't see the Puppets mini-challenge, which is really only an excuse to try to get the queens to read each other again to cause drama. It's basically Reading 2.0, but worse because there are lovely puppets. Who doesn't love puppets? This guy right here.

Also, did anyone else notice that Bob got no advantage for winning the mini? Typically in a challenge like this, she would have been the one pairing up the Little Women with the Queens. I wonder since they were teaming up with LW: LA, there was some push-back, like the Little Women only wanted to work with certain queens?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think they come in, collect the statue, do the confessional, and write on the mirror, then clean up and undress somewhere else while all the other queens come in and finish up before they come back to pack and leave. That explains how Derrick, Thorgy, and Naomi left notes for Robbie before Robbie finished packing up to go (and also why the departure seems late at night at the end of the episode)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I feel like not enough credit was given to Naomi's makeup. The scarecrow look was subtle and absolutely perfect. Definitely the standout makeup of the season so far ...

... except for Kim Chi's from the New Wave challenge, which is the standout makeup of history so far.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
I've watched every season of Drag Race, and have noticed a marked lack of drag queen judges apart from Mama Ru herself. Is there an "official" reason for this? Is it just an issue of scheduling, or name recognition for the "celebrity judges", or what?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's never been mentioned or talked about officially. People have just come to the logical conclusion that Ru will allow only one drag queen on the panel at a time.

If a drag queen judges, it would also basically ban them from actually being on the show as a contestant, and I think they want to always keep their potential selection pool as broad as possible. Only so many really good queens with the broad range of skills Drag Race requires.

Lady Bunny did act as a judge on Drag U, but even then Ru wasn't a judge as much as a host, so Ru effectively put herself on a different level that avoided comparison.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

King of Foolians posted:

I really hope we don't see the Puppets mini-challenge, which is really only an excuse to try to get the queens to read each other again to cause drama. It's basically Reading 2.0, but worse because there are lovely puppets. Who doesn't love puppets? This guy right here.

BEATINGS WILL INCREASE UNTIL EVERYONE LOVES PUPPETS

I get that it's basically reading v 2.0 but it's often when there's a smaller group of girls and is far less friendly. I don't know, I generally like it. Plus they keep showing off that glory hole wall in Untucked so you know it's coming.

RIP Pit Crew 2007-2016

I agree with the idea that Ru doesn't want another drag queen on the panel - even the faux queens who are close (Michelle, Elvira) aren't really allowed to steal the spotlight. There's one queen on that panel, and it's Ru. Ru's show, Ru's rules.

Lady Bunny throws a hell of a lot of shade at Drag Race and it's never really clear why, but neither is anything else that fresh and friendly LadyBug does.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I also like the puppet mini-challenge because someone always lets their insecurities flow and ends up being mean instead of funny.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

garthoneeye posted:

I also like the puppet mini-challenge because someone always lets their insecurities flow and ends up being mean instead of funny.

I LIVE IN NEW YORK! I WORK ALL THE TIME!

I love the puppets, bring on our puppet overlords.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Lil Miss Poundcake was nearly a puppet. We need more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Nothing beats insulting the competition while fisting them.

Puppet mini-challenge forever.

• Locked thread