Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
The ingredients are mostly there, it's just missing that... Chemical X. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gann Jerrod posted:

So you want a realistic down-to-earth Powerpuff Girls that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?

*Makes Steven Universe*

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

No because iconic and attitude are two different things

Right, more 'tude it is.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm hoping the writing team figures out what they're doing with PPG. It does seem to lack excitement to it, like it's going through the motions.

Every now and again, there's a cool little.. small thing. Like Bubbles refusing bedtime with anger and skull eyes, or Princess using an uber-like app to summon monsters attacks.

The unicorn episode was.. pretty weird, and confused.

People complain about the first few episodes of SU and Adventure Time. It takes a while for the writers to see what's showing up, and kind of course correct, or find their groove. Hell, even the first few episodes of Venture Bros (as well as the pilot) seem kind of off.

So far, it's not a Johnny Test low bar, but it's not anything more than, "A show that is on."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sorry guys I kept misspelling altitude

Ramos posted:

Right, more 'tude it is.

Now you're getting it

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

PicklePants posted:

I'm hoping the writing team figures out what they're doing with PPG. It does seem to lack excitement to it, like it's going through the motions.

Every now and again, there's a cool little.. small thing. Like Bubbles refusing bedtime with anger and skull eyes, or Princess using an uber-like app to summon monsters attacks.

The unicorn episode was.. pretty weird, and confused.

People complain about the first few episodes of SU and Adventure Time. It takes a while for the writers to see what's showing up, and kind of course correct, or find their groove. Hell, even the first few episodes of Venture Bros (as well as the pilot) seem kind of off.

So far, it's not a Johnny Test low bar, but it's not anything more than, "A show that is on."

Yeah, it feels like the writers could still find their place, but it's not guaranteed by a long shot. "A show that is on." is the perfect way to put it.

It is weird that people are playing telephone with it, though. Endorses bullfighting, what? :psyduck:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
This new series of PPG is pretty bad on a lot of levels. The visuals are pretty boring for a show that used to be about using graphic line and iconic style with dynamic compositions that made use of the limited detail, whereas this one feels like a weird synthesis of that and a show like Clarence. Additionally, when they try to break the character designs to give them new expressions, it ends up looking really awkward and weird instead of funny. The background characters also feel like they are from an entirely different show, some of which look like rejects from a Teletoon Family Guy ripoff.

The voice acting seems kinda off as well, where the actresses don't really push their performances enough. The new team is pretty young and rookie in VO, right? It might be a relative lack of experience. Bubbles' characterization in particular really lacks the sweet naïveté that makes her explosions of anger funny.

Then there's the fact that some of the dialogue sounds like a Hillary Clinton staffer was asked what they think kids these days sound like. This is pretty painful.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I did some searching and found what seems to have started the bullfighting thing

http://bogleech.tumblr.com/post/142397270773/sacculetta-so-thats-two-episodes-of-the-new

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Today's Powerpuffs had a cameo from none other than Jon Miller, the baseball broadcaster. Someone on the production team is a Giants fan.

Honestly the show has some positive bits but it's just so punishingly average or bad otherwise. I actually really dig a lot of the background painting, but it belongs on some other show. I'm also OK with the way they play with the girls' facial expressions. But rounding off the professor? That can't stand. :mad:

"Going through the motions" sounds right. There hasn't been anything outstanding or worthwhile yet. I'm OK with reboots usually (and I love Teen Titans Go) but why spend money on a middling retread when you could be putting out more great new material like We Bare Bears or Steven Universe?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bubbles and Blossom sound the same, and Buttercup sounds like a surfers. The aesthetic that they're going for also seems to be in conflict with the girls' character designs. The side characters aren't too good either, despite having their old voice actors. They didn't bother introducing Princess in the episode centered around her scheme, I guess just assuming that everybody knew her from the old series, and the mayor, instead of being a bumbling politician who relies on his secretary, he just has a pickle obsession. The original series had a bit of a retro feel to it, and it's really jarring that the new show is trying painfully hard to be current and modern. The new show also seems to have a bit of a lack of focus on the whole superhero aspect. That's not to say that it's wrong to make changes, just that after a certain point, they'd really be better off if they just went and made something new instead of digging up an old IP. Also there's no Talking Dog. 0/10

At least it's made me appreciate the original more. Not feeling to optimistic about the new Samurai Jack though.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SlothfulCobra posted:

At least it's made me appreciate the original more. Not feeling to optimistic about the new Samurai Jack though.

Well at least the new Samurai Jack has Genndy still involved. Not sure about most of the other crew (guys like Paul Rudish and Aaron Springer are at Disney now)

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Can we just get a My Life as a Teenage Robot reboot instead? That was a show that ended before its time.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
bunch of nerds itt

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

kefkafloyd posted:

I'm OK with reboots usually (and I love Teen Titans Go) but why spend money on a middling retread when you could be putting out more great new material like We Bare Bears or Steven Universe?

They have been spending money on those, though. They've been renewed for other seasons. PPG isn't taking money away from those projects, if anything it's taking money from other potential pilots being made into series.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

It's probably not going to inconvenience you too much to watch a 10 minute cartoon and form your own opinion.

But then how will I find time to post? I'm a busy man, I only have time to watch the finest in children's television. *swirls wine glass*

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Flobbster posted:

Can we just get a My Life as a Teenage Robot reboot instead? That was a show that ended before its time.

How about a ChalkZone reboot?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Neeksy posted:

They have been spending money on those, though. They've been renewed for other seasons. PPG isn't taking money away from those projects, if anything it's taking money from other potential pilots being made into series.

That's what I meant. New projects that are in the vein of their current successes, in that they give talented creators a chance to put something new out there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This is pretty bad, but kids DO actually sound like that these days.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ThermoPhysical posted:

As a childless adult who hasn't set foot in a public school since the Bush administration I

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

kefkafloyd posted:

That's what I meant. New projects that are in the vein of their current successes, in that they give talented creators a chance to put something new out there.

I find it hard to really get upset over this sorta stuff because it's kinda the nature of the beast, we get some good innovative new stuff along with some cheap lowest hanging fruit shows that manage to perform well enough in comparison to how cheap/easy it is to make and along with that some IPs get regurgitated because the big wigs that actually put the bill for the network want to see something on the list they recognize and can see that it already made money years ago. If it wasn't PPG it'd be a Hanna Barbera re-re-re-revival.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm a substitute teacher in an area covering both rural and urban districts. I've heard "I can't even" uttered maybe once or twice, and even then, it was an attempt at ironic humor and everybody in the classroom just sort of awkwardly laughed afterwards.

If you really want the Powerpuff Girls to be hip, have them dab. I can't get the damned kids to stop doing that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As a related note, I keep finding it amazing how We Bare Bears is so good at feeling modern without feeling artificial or condescending.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Waffleman_ posted:

As a related note, I keep finding it amazing how We Bare Bears is so good at feeling modern without feeling artificial or condescending.

Does that include Panda's bodypillow?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mycot posted:

Does that include Panda's bodypillow?

Yes, it does.

I love that Panda is weeb trash.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Some of the internet stuff is a bit much but the fact that Cartoon Network made a show about three bears living together in San Francisco is enough to make me overlook any criticism.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

Three bears living together in San Francisco

More than any other show, WBB makes me double-take seeing random descriptions.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 13, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I did some searching and found what seems to have started the bullfighting thing

http://bogleech.tumblr.com/post/142397270773/sacculetta-so-thats-two-episodes-of-the-new

It's really creepy for grown adults to shame children's program storyboarders and animation directors for the alleged quality of the show. It was creepy when Mr. Enter harassed SpongeBob writers and is creepy now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Corek posted:

It's really creepy for grown adults to shame children's program storyboarders and animation directors for the alleged quality of the show. It was creepy when Mr. Enter harassed SpongeBob writers and is creepy now.

Especially considering that Bogleech is some creepy bug fetishist who couldn't make a funny comic to save his life despite many years of failed attempts.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, it does.

I love that Panda is weeb trash.

I'm glad the other bears were so accepting of his waifu.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Corek posted:

Mr. Enter did WHAT.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy Mann posted:

Especially considering that Bogleech is some creepy bug fetishist who couldn't make a funny comic to save his life despite many years of failed attempts.

I read through that guy's old posts now and he's complaining about the ants in Antz not being attractive enough for him

http://bogleech.tumblr.com/post/141717419538/bogleech-this-ant-is-expressive-and-adorable

Waffleman_ posted:

Mr. Enter did WHAT.

His fans harassed Casey Alexander for the sole crime of making episodes that enraged the already permanently enranged MrEnter

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm surprised they didn't go after any of the TTG writers because Mr. Enter has way more of a chip on his shoulder over that show.

Well, if they did, there'd probably be an episode about it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Well of course it's some hyper-reactionary poo poo from Tumblr.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
he's not a bug fetishist, you're being just as annoyingly hyperbolic and miscontexualizing as you claim the tumblrites are.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe the truth is in the middle.

The telephone game stuff is just duuuuumb though. Why would you be outraged over a show you didn't even care enough to watch?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Acne Rain posted:

he's not a bug fetishist, you're being just as annoyingly hyperbolic and miscontexualizing as you claim the tumblrites are.

Fully agree(also I'll admit I had to keep myself from making a scene, cause Bogleech is a friend of mine, and calling him a bug fetishist is completely uncalled for, as is mocking his comic and art skills, cause Awful Hospital is really good)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Acne Rain posted:

wait, what?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lady is right in this bug's name

what the hell has happened to this thread

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

drrockso20 posted:

Fully agree(also I'll admit I had to keep myself from making a scene, cause Bogleech is a friend of mine, and calling him a bug fetishist is completely uncalled for, as is mocking his comic and art skills, cause Awful Hospital is really good)

I could have sworn he was literally a self-confessed bug fetishist. Like, explicit words to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

drrockso20 posted:

Get better friends. Ones who don't advocate harrassment brigades over cartoons for little girls, something he is neither.