Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

pentyne posted:

Misha Barton is a incredibly good actor and I'd say wasted on this show but he clearly loves everything about it.

"We make the heart choice instead of the smart choice"

Way to sum up 11 years of Supernatural, Sam. Good line.

Misha Barton is a very different actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

Well, this episode sure was a whole big lot of nothing.

Hey, they can't all be as great as Racist Truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy1QfL7DJgY

Classic.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, Lucifer really lived up to embracing the sin of pride.

drat that was a hell of an ending.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
The changes this season we've discussed have also been picked up on by the AV Club

quote:

What’s remarkable, instead, is the creative resurgence the new season has undergone, remembering what made Supernatural entertaining in the first place.

In doing so, it serves as an exemplar of how to keep a long-running show fresh: Kill off the bad habits that Supernatural leaned on in place of solid storytelling. There are four main lessons to be learned from the 11th season, ones other shows would be wise to attend to as they grow long in the serialized tooth

More at the link.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
drat, that werewolf episode I'm only catching up on now was so bad this thread didn't even mention it. Why are the werewolf episodes always so poo poo?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WarEternal posted:

drat, that werewolf episode I'm only catching up on now was so bad this thread didn't even mention it. Why are the werewolf episodes always so poo poo?

Apparently it was so bad my brain totally dumped it from my memory. I had to think real hard to remember that episode, and yeah it was pretty poo poo.
As far as werewolf episodes go, I didn't think the found footage episode was that bad.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only good ones were the season 2 one, and the found footage (season 10?) one.

Oh poo poo, and the one with Garth.

The other ones are all poo. Weirdly, kinda the same with vamp episodes. If they don't have that Alpha vamp, they tend to suck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

richardfun posted:

The changes this season we've discussed have also been picked up on by the AV Club

More at the link.

It really is an impressive turnaround.

The direction in that episode was awesome, what was that huge set, like a grain elevator or something? They got some great shots in that space.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The overarching Darkness plot is still pretty hot garbage, just that the individual episodes are a lot better.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

After so many episodes of Lucifer being smug this was a nice comeuppance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Misha said on Twitter that in the last episode where he seemed to float towards the darkness - they put him on a rug and two dudes pulled the rug.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Not a fan of Misha or his "acting" so I was pleased when they seemed to phase him out for a bit. All this recent screen time with him is still really boring, as hard as Misha's wittle heart is trying.

Cas is such a nothing, useless character, I kinda hope for Amara to win, destroy Luci and Cas, and keep the Winchesters to see her new creation.

I mean, think about what some decent writers could do with a universal blank slate, with Tits McCheekbones and Moose and Squirrel running around!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That70sHeidi posted:

Not a fan of Misha or his "acting" so I was pleased when they seemed to phase him out for a bit. All this recent screen time with him is still really boring, as hard as Misha's wittle heart is trying.

Cas is such a nothing, useless character, I kinda hope for Amara to win, destroy Luci and Cas, and keep the Winchesters to see her new creation.

I mean, think about what some decent writers could do with a universal blank slate, with Tits McCheekbones and Moose and Squirrel running around!

For that to work she'd have to put monsters in her new universe just so Dean would have something to do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hypocrisy posted:

After so many episodes of Lucifer being smug this was a nice comeuppance.

I didn't like the bit with the angels though, because the angels should have immediately been on his side. What we know about them so far is that they've lost faith in god and will jump at any chance to follow a strong leader; they should have been all over Lucifer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

I didn't like the bit with the angels though, because the angels should have immediately been on his side. What we know about them so far is that they've lost faith in god and will jump at any chance to follow a strong leader; they should have been all over Lucifer.

The remaining angels are idiots though. Low level functionaries. They love a strong leader, but they also cling to the idea that they are somehow still following God's Plan (tm). They were kind of stuck in a loop between "he's a big strong archangel" and "he's a guy God specifically called out as evil incarnate".

I think he would have won them over eventually, but it isn't out of character for them to waffle about it for a little while first.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Tiggum posted:

I thought about that but then I realized, they are talking to Lucifer who they were told from creation is bad who is riding in Castiel who has done nothing but make terrible decisions and kill lots of angels.

Even if you're desperate for leadership you're not going to jump on board that train.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
So demons and ghosts don't like salt right?

What if I were to build a house out in the salt flats? Would it be demon proof?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Darth Freddy posted:

Probably, yeah. Only one way to know for sure!

(the demons will totally get you when you go into town tho)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

Sure, until they possess a paragliding team and D.B. Cooper through your roof.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, they hate salt because it's in a line or circle and it represents purity. It's all about metaphors for barriers in that case.

Having a driveway or something that has a break in it would let em walk right up to you and do horrible "Opening Supernatural" scenes.

~ALTHOUGH~, it would be an amazing reason why none of their cases ever seem to take place in Utah.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, all the salt, holy water, traps stuff are all small short term tools that get evil things knocked down or shocked long enough to buy you some time for the real fix. I think that's why demons were such a big deal in the early seasons because all the tricks they had were only slightly effective on them. At least until the Winchesters basically did so many exorcisms that they probably recite them when they're bored in the shower and speak Latin as a second language.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I do miss when angels and demons were legitimately threatening in this show instead of boring indistinguishable stuffed-suit redshirts who are easily murdered by the dozen.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah, they hate salt because it's in a line or circle and it represents purity. It's all about metaphors for barriers in that case.

Having a driveway or something that has a break in it would let em walk right up to you and do horrible "Opening Supernatural" scenes.

~ALTHOUGH~, it would be an amazing reason why none of their cases ever seem to take place in Utah.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 11, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There are still bits of them outside the circle, but that would be a great way to carry around portable ghost barriers. Instead of having to pour the salt out in a circle and risk it being blown away or brushed aside, just tell the person you're trying to protect to stay inside the hula hoop. Plus it's reusable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

There are still bits of them outside the circle, but that would be a great way to carry around portable ghost barriers. Instead of having to pour the salt out in a circle and risk it being blown away or brushed aside, just tell the person you're trying to protect to stay inside the hula hoop. Plus it's reusable.

Sure it could be effective, but how could they possibly keep a bunch of colourful hula hoops in their cool muscle car? It would totally ruin the vibe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anyone watch Wynona Earp? Its super cheap, has terrible writing, absolutely horrible SyFy effects, and some really eye rolling elements but I'm getting a kick out of it just pretending that its in the same universe as Supernatural and that one day the Winchester brothers will drag out to the desert and run into the Earp Sisters and all the silliness and awkward sexual tension that would follow.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

STAC Goat posted:

Anyone watch Wynona Earp? Its super cheap, has terrible writing, absolutely horrible SyFy effects, and some really eye rolling elements but I'm getting a kick out of it just pretending that its in the same universe as Supernatural and that one day the Winchester brothers will drag out to the desert and run into the Earp Sisters and all the silliness and awkward sexual tension that would follow.

I've enjoyed the first two episodes, in a schlocky kind of way.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I want Mark Pellegrino back. He was so much more fun as Lucifer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think it was the movie Warlock where the villain was affected by salt and they buried him in the great salt plains of Utah hahaha

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

I think it was the movie Warlock where the villain was affected by salt and they buried him in the great salt plains of Utah hahaha

I always did like that movie, but it's been a while.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Junior G-man posted:

I want Mark Pellegrino back. He was so much more fun as Lucifer.

Why don't they have him, anyway?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Why don't they have him, anyway?

Because that host body was rotting and then Luci jumped into Sam, so presumably that human host up and died. Mark Pellegrino can play him in flashbacks and in spirit form. but can't really play him walking around on earth anymore.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Because that host body was rotting and then Luci jumped into Sam, so presumably that human host up and died. Mark Pellegrino can play him in flashbacks and in spirit form. but can't really play him walking around on earth anymore.

Yeah, but that still kind of raises the question of why Lucifer can ride around in Cas's meatsuit, when the whole big conflict for the first 5 seasons was that Lucifer needed Sam to use him as a vessel.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thrakkorzog posted:

Yeah, but that still kind of raises the question of why Lucifer can ride around in Cas's meatsuit, when the whole big conflict for the first 5 seasons was that Lucifer needed Sam to use him as a vessel.

The big conflict was that Sam was the ideal vessel, the one that brings about the apocalypse. Things have gotten off script since then, but you can easily :techno: some stuff about how Cas's body could hold another angel if need-be.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thrakkorzog posted:

It's a weird situation. Lucifer isn't possessing Jimmy Novak, he's possessing Castiel. Jimmy Novak is in heaven with his wife, and certainly didn't agree to Lucifer using his body. And it might not be Jimmy's body anymore. Castiel has been killed 4 times, and mysteriously put back together each time. Jimmy Novak ascended to heaven the first time the body was killed, back in season 4. Since that it hasn't been clear exactly what Castiel's body is anymore. If he leaves to go to Heaven or whatever the body should just be left behind on earth, dead since Jimmy is long gone, but instead it seems like he now takes it to heaven with him instead

It is completely unique. Lucifer his possessing another angel, an angel that has some kind of permanent magical meatsuit. So far it seems to be holding up fine.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
I'm hoping that line about how Lucifer might not be able to use the full power of those artifacts because he's a Fallen Angel means they might actually free Michael from the cage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Titan posted:

I'm hoping that line about how Lucifer might not be able to use the full power of those artifacts because he's a Fallen Angel means they might actually free Michael from the cage.

First they'd need to remember he exists.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Angela Christine posted:

It's a weird situation. Lucifer isn't possessing Jimmy Novak, he's possessing Castiel. Jimmy Novak is in heaven with his wife, and certainly didn't agree to Lucifer using his body. And it might not be Jimmy's body anymore. Castiel has been killed 4 times, and mysteriously put back together each time. Jimmy Novak ascended to heaven the first time the body was killed, back in season 4. Since that it hasn't been clear exactly what Castiel's body is anymore. If he leaves to go to Heaven or whatever the body should just be left behind on earth, dead since Jimmy is long gone, but instead it seems like he now takes it to heaven with him instead

It is completely unique. Lucifer his possessing another angel, an angel that has some kind of permanent magical meatsuit. So far it seems to be holding up fine.

Don't forget he can be possessed by a Demon at the same time as an Angel.

Castiel is a unique snowflake.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thrakkorzog posted:

The show hasn't had consistent mythology for 5-7 seasons at this point.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Titan posted:

Don't forget he can be possessed by a Demon at the same time as an Angel.

Castiel is a unique snowflake.

Pretty much anyone can. Sam got possessed by an angel and Crowley a few seasons ago.

Anyone who can be possessed by an angel without splattering, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Angela Christine posted:

First they'd need to remember he exists.

They mentioned him earlier this season.