Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoggins
Apr 15, 2009
I haven't watched a lot of Fox shows that made it to a second season, so I don't know their writing pitfalls very well. I'm terrified that Lucifer will go the way that it would if it were a CW show: Chloe spends the next (n+1) seasons being totally oblivious to Lucifer being the actual Devil, while ever single other character with lines figures it out within a couple episodes of meeting him.

This latest episode makes me feel hopeful though, revealing Chloe as the source of his mortality means that she'll necessarily be in a closer orbit around the hellish/heavenly part of Lucifer's life rather than just being a co-buddy cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I do appreciate that Lucifer is pretty quick to catch on to some things, like his brother moving in next to his therapist, and here, after he gets shot and is fine, he pretty much immediately guesses that he's only mortal around Chloe, and he immediately goes to test his theory.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The most realistic police procedural is A Touch of Cloth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15IRXKn9LSU

Thanks for this, it's hilarious. I'll have to order some DVD's of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

Okay I'm only going to explain this once more, and then restrict my comments to enjoyment of the series and storylines.

In this episode, the philanthropist's wife publicly 'confessed' . But she had not been read her rights so the confession would not be admissible in court. She would need to be arrested, offered a lawyer, statement taken, Decker would have to gather evidence, get witness statements, wait for the coroner's report, type up all the notes, etc etc. She'd work on this case for weeks.
However tomorrow (ie next episode) this will all be forgotten and Chloe will be assigned a new homicide case. Because Lucifer. Or because "police procedural". This 'murderer of the week' angle is the weakest, or thinnest, part of the show for me.
You're awfully righteous for being completely wrong, on both the law and the idea of a case spread across multiple episodes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My main problem with this episode is that Lucifer seemed to lie at the beginning of it when he seemed to agree that he and Decker slept together. Then again maybe he didn't on account of mostly just following along with her presumption before telling her what really happened.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gyges posted:

Mortal sins are bad, but you can still confess to a priest and be forgiven. Obviously dude is going to need to be super religious, but then he's actually been to hell so that shouldn't be an issue. Mortal Sins' ticket to hell is entirely refundable, as with all sins. The only unforgivable sin is rejecting Christ and never repenting.

A combination of baptism and confession can cure the spiritual wounds from any sin.

Admittedly, killing a "defenseless" Satan isn't really a theological minefield previously trodden, so maybe there are 2 unforgivable sins.

Confession isn't a magic ticket, you have to genuinely repent and be sorry and try to make amends etc etc. It doubly doesn't count if you commit sins with the intention of just going to confession later and washing it all away.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Confession isn't a magic ticket, you have to genuinely repent and be sorry and try to make amends etc etc. It doubly doesn't count if you commit sins with the intention of just going to confession later and washing it all away.

Eh, that depends on which of the many branches of Christianity you ask.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alchenar posted:

Having been in hell, I'm pretty sure he'll be genuinely contrite. I'm not suggesting he just enter into a constant cycle of sinning an confession, rather that he get any lingering sin desires out of the way and then devote himself to not going to Hell. Angels don't get to over rule Jesus on whether or not you're on the guest list.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Titan posted:

bio347 posted:

As opposed to the "nephilim in some manner" theory, it could be possible that whatever he did to save her in that situation is the root cause.

That's a solid theory. When he saved her maybe he had to give her some of his "Grace" or Angelic Light. Whatever it is that makes him an Angel, and it created a sort of bond between them. Luci is vulnerable around her and Chloe has said that she feels vulnerable around him as well.

I read a theory or fanfiction that Chloe is a descendant of Eve, which is interesting from a Bible story or plot perspective but leaves a lot of questions hanging. The idea that Lucifer's saving of Chloe or mercy shown towards her is what gave her some 'power' over him is neater.

And now Luci has arguably saved Malcolm.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 13, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bible-wise, every human that ever lived is related to Adam and Eve.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

True, but this show plays pretty fast and loose with its bible myths.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

I read a theory or fanfiction that Chloe is a descendant of Eve, which is interesting from a Bible story or plot perspective but leaves a lot of questions hanging. The idea that Lucifer's saving of Chloe or mercy shown towards her is what gave her some 'power' over him is neater.

And now Luci has arguably saved Malcolm.

I kind of like the idea that God is just screwing with Lucifer in some Rube Goldberg attempt to teach him a lesson, or for a laugh, or both.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

AbsolutelySane posted:

I kind of like the idea that God is just screwing with Lucifer in some Rube Goldberg attempt to teach him a lesson, or for a laugh, or both.

I really like the theme or trope that the longer they are on Earth, the more human they become. It's been done with aliens (both invaders and superheroes) many times and is interesting to see in this scriptural context.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think my favorite part of this episode was the guy completely believing Lucifer about what the coin was, no questions asked.

It's not like one of his titles is Lord of Lies or anything, just "Welp, ok cool" and that's it.

Thinking maybe that time in the coma done gave him the brain damage.
I don't think he was the brightest bulb to begin with. Plus, he already knows Lucifer is a genuine angel just like the one that saved him and this probably gives him at least something to think over.

Binary Logic posted:

Decker would have to gather evidence, get witness statements, wait for the coroner's report, type up all the notes, etc etc. She'd work on this case for weeks.
However tomorrow (ie next episode) this will all be forgotten and Chloe will be assigned a new homicide case.
And what would the show be focusing on during that time? Lucifer hanging around pestering her while she does nothing interesting?

Astrofig posted:

I thought the whole 'inadmissible if they don't read you your rights' thing was a myth----isn't that only if they're going to question you?
Like practically every aspect of policing you see on TV, it's based on truth but exaggerated for the sake of drama. There are rules about how the police can collect evidence and what's admissible, but TV generally makes them tighter or looser depending on what works for the story.

counterfeitsaint posted:

You'd think after what he went through figuring out exactly what to avoid to not go back to hell would be a major priority for him.
He doesn't seem the type to really think things through.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Catholics aren't generally the 'repent and accept Jesus and you're good' sort
What do you think confession is?

evilmiera posted:

My main problem with this episode is that Lucifer seemed to lie at the beginning of it when he seemed to agree that he and Decker slept together. Then again maybe he didn't on account of mostly just following along with her presumption before telling her what really happened.
It all comes down to what counts as a lie, really. Is he literally unable to say something that he doesn't believe? Or does it count intent, so he can use irony? Or is it just a matter of preference, that he likes to be deceptive without outright lying? He was clearly stringing her along a bit before telling her the truth, so there are plenty of loopholes regardless of the exact rule.

Alchenar posted:

Well, it really doesn't matter what you intend when you commit the sin, it only matters that you truly repent afterwards.

Binary Logic posted:

I read a theory or fanfiction that Chloe is a descendant of Eve, which is interesting from a Bible story or plot perspective but leaves a lot of questions hanging.
Like how could a human not be descended from Eve?

Binary Logic posted:

I really like the theme or trope that the longer they are on Earth, the more human they become. It's been done with aliens (both invaders and superheroes) many times and is interesting to see in this scriptural context.
You should watch Supernatural. It's terrible, but by the time you realise that you'll be in too deep.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You know, in all this talk of lying devil's, the nature of divine forgiveness, and the poor forethought of detective coma we've missed the biggest hole in his deal.

How the gently caress is he going to take a physical coin to Hell? Luci brought it up with his physical angel hands. How's detective gluttony planning on bringing down?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It all comes down to what counts as a lie, really. Is he literally unable to say something that he doesn't believe? Or does it count intent, so he can use irony? Or is it just a matter of preference, that he likes to be deceptive without outright lying? He was clearly stringing her along a bit before telling her the truth, so there are plenty of loopholes regardless of the exact rule.
Lucifer doesn't lie as an honour thing, it's not a literal restriction. The comics have a great line about it:

"When the Devil wants you to do something, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to Hell."

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gyges posted:

You know, in all this talk of lying devil's, the nature of divine forgiveness, and the poor forethought of detective coma we've missed the biggest hole in his deal.

How the gently caress is he going to take a physical coin to Hell? Luci brought it up with his physical angel hands. How's detective gluttony planning on bringing down?

And now you understand how the Devil outsmarted a really dumb and desperate human.

bio347 posted:

Lucifer doesn't lie as an honour thing, it's not a literal restriction. The comics have a great line about it:

"When the Devil wants you to do something, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to Hell."

He even had a line, in one of the earlier episodes, about how the humans in hell brought themselves there and chose their own punishments.

:devil:

Can't find the exact quote, but it was along these lines...

“Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire days sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commits acts they would otherwise find repulsive. 'The devil made me do it.' I have never made one of them do anything. Never. They live their own tiny lives. I do not live their lives for them.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My hands down favorite thing of the show so far has got to be the model's deepest, darkest desire for a cheeseburger.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In theory there could be be human descendants of Lilith and Adam... There's no mythological basis for this as far as I know, but Amenadiel has no mythological basis either.

I'm actually starting to wonder when we're going to see another angel... Maze said "I slept with your brother" as though that's totally unambiguous. Surely Lucifer has many brothers and the only reason it wasn't ambiguous was because of context.

I do think there's not a hard and fast rule about Lucifer's mortality. I am totally okay with this.

I like that Lucifer doesn't lie and Amenadiel lies constantly.

Which is interesting. I was thinking about how Amenadiel is fictional, his name sounds like real words. So I tried to look it up. "Amen" is of course Latin for "truth". "Adiel" is a Hebrew name from the old testament. This page talks about its origins and cites references that it means "Ornament of God" (the -el component of names in Hebrew is usually a reference to Elohim). So roughly translated, "Amenadiel" might mean "True Ornament of God".

Of course if you type "Amen Adiel" into google translate, you get "Pleasant Diet", so it also could be that...

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Snak posted:

Of course if you type "Amen Adiel" into google translate, you get "Pleasant Diet", so it also could be that...

Well, that explains why detective gluttony is so hungry after coming back.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gyges posted:

Sure it will take him staright out of hell...right back into his dead body.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's surprising that this show so far has had the best freshman season of the bunch. Guess Rush getting cancelled worked out for the lead actor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"You're supposed to be blonde."

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, man. Between name dropping Mike Carey and Malcolm actually becoming a likable character, I am SO glad this got a season 2.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
That was a good episode. The finale looks like it's going to be amazing.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

"Did you know anything about this whole room with staircase and actual windows facing outside on your property?"

"Nope!" :haw:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha i was thinking the same thing... If the US had Window tax that could have all been avoided

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"He's the best Lucifer we've had in years!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

NoneMoreNegative posted:

"Did you know anything about this whole room with staircase and actual windows facing outside on your property?"

"Nope!" :haw:

I got the impression that it wasn't his property - it was his daughter's place and he was just there packing up her things. It confused me for a moment too but he wouldn't have said 'I should have called her more often' if she lived with him.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gonz posted:

"You're supposed to be blonde."

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

Came here to post this, was beaten like a prideful angel

The turn at the very end of the episode kinda threw my personal speculation off, I was hoping the season finale would happen in Hell, but I guess mister Morningstar will have to deal with Earthly justice instead?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The previews do look like the finale is gonna ramp up the OH poo poo factor by a few degrees.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

evilmiera posted:

Sure it will take him staright out of hell...right back into his dead body.

Yeah, I was wondering what good the coin would do if he dies. Great, he comes back from hell, but what does that do for him? Does he become immortal?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, I was wondering what good the coin would do if he dies. Great, he comes back from hell, but what does that do for him? Does he become immortal?
Or why he was all "don't forget I have your coin, bro!" to Lucifer in the last episode. If Lucifer is okay with killing him once, do you really think he'll be anything other than annoyed at having to do it again to make it stick?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, he wasn't gonna kill him.

He was going to punish him. Angela can't kill mortals.

Don't mean he can't break various pieces off and make him suffer.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
drat that Angela

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

drat that Angela

Well she was the boss!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, he wasn't gonna kill him.

He was going to punish him. Angela can't kill mortals.

Don't mean he can't break various pieces off and make him suffer.

He said that was "dads rules", so I'm pretty sure Lucifer can kill people if he wants to. Its not like he feels a need to stick to his fathers rules.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

drat that Angela

I groaned a bit when they brought out the Maz "daggers that can hurt Lucifer and Amenadiel" bit, that's getting a bit TOO close to Supernatural territory. :(

I'm really surprised how enjoyable this show is...I was so angry they were adapting one of my favorite books into a crap TV show, it was a pleasant surprise that it's genuinely enjoyable.

At least my pessimism still has to look forward to Preacher being ruined, and then American Gods later on down the road...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SiKboy posted:

He said that was "dads rules", so I'm pretty sure Lucifer can kill people if he wants to. Its not like he feels a need to stick to his fathers rules.

Even if he's able to, I don't think he really wants to. He just wants to punish dudes who deserve it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

counterfeitsaint posted:

Even if he's able to, I don't think he really wants to. He just wants to punish dudes who deserve it.

Totally agree, I just think it's worth noting that it's probably that he's choosing not to kill people, rather than that he can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

SiKboy posted:

Totally agree, I just think it's worth noting that it's probably that he's choosing not to kill people, rather than that he can't.

I agree too. Lucifer is all about dealing out justice. Death doesn't fit his idea of what justice should be. Like in the pilot with that producer, he could have killed him after he shot Chloe but instead decided to punish him by showing his true form and whatever else he did to make the guy go insane.

• Locked thread