Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Directions.

Get the sewer key from the handmaiden. Sewer is in right next to the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire.

Thank you for the directions. :tipshat:

When does the handmaiden sell the sewer key? I got down there by removing all my armor, and embering to survive the plunge off the relatively short end of the chasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Gorp posted:

Is there no way to get to that area now? Is this character over?
I've checked the boss room for another way to teleport but there is none. I don't think there is any way back due to the fact that the guy who brings you there dies after you talk to him.

The area in question is across from Vordt's bonfire, so just warp there and backtrack.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Assuming buffs and utility over damage, would 15\15 be the spell stats to aim for?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, no Small White Soapstone in the game, then? Dropping those to refill Estus was great in 2.

Also, why do I drop to 2 Estus whenever I get summoned?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ulvirich posted:

Thank you for the directions. :tipshat:

When does the handmaiden sell the sewer key? I got down there by removing all my armor, and embering to survive the plunge off the relatively short end of the chasm.

I updated my post because I realized you may not have it.

You need Mortician's Ashes which is in the target area the Giant shoots its arrows.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

CJacobs posted:

The area in question is across from Vordt's bonfire, so just warp there and backtrack.

I love you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Gorp posted:

I love you.

For what it's worth, I had the same freakout because I forgot where the area was relative to Lothric as well. :downsgun:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I updated my post because I realized you may not have it.

You need Mortician's Ashes which is in the target area the Giant shoots its arrows.

Right on, I just picked that up on my ongoing sweep through undead settlement. I missed a *lot* of goodies.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Watch Dogs are cunts. :colbert:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ulvirich posted:

In no particular order:

The ghrues the ashen grey satyr fucks, particularly the ones without any visible weapons will rock your poo poo ten ways from Sunday if they manage to land on you from their slam dunk attack. These particular ones are always by their lonesome as far as I can remember, if you have to go through poo poo water to avoid them, then do so; you'll save yourself a lot of effort. Deep murk is denoted by lily pads. You have to venture out into the deep murk at least once to douse one of the flames out there. Go slow, use a ranged weapon to pull poo poo to you one at a time, don't gently caress with the big dudes. If you have the 14 faith for it, you can use the weapon art on the lowest level prayer chime to do a heal over time that does slightly more healing than what the poison can take away for cheap FP cost - mind you need to have the chime out for the buff to stick to you.

Thanks for the advice.

Gotta say I'm pretty peeved at this hollowing business. I'm one of those Fashion Souls people and I literally spent over an hour in the character creator "knowing" you didn't hollow in this game, and this is not how I was planning on walking around:

I loving look like I belong in Winny Puhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dllo85ZSUk&t=8s

and I can't even pop a humanity/effigy. It's going to take a couple of hours of farming to be able to cure it, and that's not very Fun™ :negative:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I feel like I missed where you get the orange soapstone. The crone didn't have it in Firelink and I'm in Settlement already with no sign of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kater posted:

I feel like I missed where you get the orange soapstone. The crone didn't have it in Firelink and I'm in Settlement already with no sign of it.

There's no such item, you can just do messages at any time from the start menu.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, Undead Settlement was way bigger than I thought it was once I learned to look very slightly to the right :sweatdrop:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
You know, I haven't really bothered with parrying so far in this game. I've focused mostly on dodging, occasionally pulling out a shield or blocking only.

But when I ran into an old friend near the Farron Keep bonfire, well, I knew what had to be done. My first parries of the game, 2/2 completed. You just don't forget how to deal with them. :allears:

Also I feel like I've gotten a decent way into the game by now, and I still haven't seen any offensive or buffing Miracles. My Faith/Dex build can't make any use of its faith! Stupid Firekeeper better start selling some soon...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Insurrectionist posted:

You know, I haven't really bothered with parrying so far in this game. I've focused mostly on dodging, occasionally pulling out a shield or blocking only.

But when I ran into an old friend near the Farron Keep bonfire, well, I knew what had to be done. My first parries of the game, 2/2 completed. You just don't forget how to deal with them. :allears:

Also I feel like I've gotten a decent way into the game by now, and I still haven't seen any offensive or buffing Miracles. My Faith/Dex build can't make any use of its faith! Stupid Firekeeper better start selling some soon...

You're gonna be waiting a while because the Fire Keeper doesn't sell Miracles. Irina does.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The dungeon has the first thing to make me literally jumpscare in Dark Souls. :mad:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

If you've found the wolf covenant in the swamp area, you're really close to lightning spear. Keep going higher!

And 30x sunbroing gets you a really nifty miracle buff.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Wooo made it to the firelink shrine, and now poking around. Have yet to die :hehe:

Anything I might wanna check out first?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

solaranus posted:

Wooo made it to the firelink shrine, and now poking around. Have yet to die :hehe:

Anything I might wanna check out first?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_VlbduSdEk

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

mods please allow posters to upvote posts in this thread for estus flask charges tia

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Minrad posted:

If you've found the wolf covenant in the swamp area, you're really close to lightning spear. Keep going higher!

And 30x sunbroing gets you a really nifty miracle buff.

That'd be great if I knew where to turn in all these medals in the first place...

So miracle lady doesn't even sell the damaging miracles? What a pain! Well, I'm doing alright with weapons for now I suppose. Thanks for the advice.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Irithyll is such an amazing area, god drat.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

How does parrying work between different shields? For instance, I've got the starter assassin shield, and I also picked up the East West shield. Both parry, but I would have to imagine the one that explicitly says "hey this is good for parrying" is better at it. However, I can't see that there's anything on the stat sheet that would indicate it's actually better at that job.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just had a three (four?) way battle between the host, an invader, a blue covenent guy, and me invading as a mound maker.

This game has the best *Souls PVP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuebot posted:

So the dragon on the wall, I hate it and I want it to die. Has anyone figured out a good way to do it? The fire seems to hit everywhere and anywhere.

EDIT: Turns out the answer is to stand in the doorway below the tower fire and shoot it in the rear end. It doesn't die though and that makes me mad. I lust for dragon death.

You can also stand in the alcove about two thirds of the way along the battlement and shoot it in the toes.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
picked this up and its my first souls game.. I cant even get past the first boss :gonk:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Wonder Weapon posted:

How does parrying work between different shields? For instance, I've got the starter assassin shield, and I also picked up the East West shield. Both parry, but I would have to imagine the one that explicitly says "hey this is good for parrying" is better at it. However, I can't see that there's anything on the stat sheet that would indicate it's actually better at that job.

I'd imagine you'd want to compare the animations as opposed to the stat sheet. Better at parrying one probably has a bigger time window in the animation where, if you're hit, will trigger the parry effect.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

hey i'm herald and i bought soul arrow and lvld up my int enough to use it. But when i attune and equip it's grayed out. Did i gently caress up? I'm guessing my stupid little rag catalyst can't shoot those thingS

Also how th gently caress do you kill that giant tree? my spear constantly dinks off its stupid little balls because they have a poo poo hitbox and i get such a small window of time to spear them.

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 13, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lalaland posted:

picked this up and its my first souls game.. I cant even get past the first boss :gonk:

This is my fifth Souls-style game and I still died once to it

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

ghostter posted:

hey i'm herald and i bought soul arrow and lvld up my int enough to use it. But when i attune and equip it's grayed out. Did i gently caress up? I'm guessing my stupid little rag catalyst can't shoot those thingS

Yes, you need a wand for sorceries. I think that old lady on a wheelchair in firelink sells one.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

I started as an assassin because I wanted to be spooky, but I have no intention to use sorceries offensively, are there any good utility spells? Or should go in the pyromancy direction?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Got an hour or two to spare before the missus gets home so I'm going to keep streaming my first playthrough for a while. For anyone worried about spoilers I just killed the boss in the second major area and am going to start by checking out a fork I think I missed earlier.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

lalaland posted:

Once it goes super saiyan on you, throw your little fire bombs on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I explored the High Wall as thoroughly as a could but there were still a few doors I couldn't get though is there a big path split where the alive dragon is?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Oh my god these skull harpies are the loving worst

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

porkinson posted:

I started as an assassin because I wanted to be spooky, but I have no intention to use sorceries offensively, are there any good utility spells? Or should go in the pyromancy direction?

15 int for utility sorcery maximum

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh my god these skull harpies are the loving worst

it's really the screamo guy that enrages em that i dislike! a great deal in fact!

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

15 int for utility sorcery maximum

Thanks, am I correct in assuming it's not worth reinforcing my wand :bigtran: for utility spells?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I love that people believe I'm not willing to burn consumables while invading. I don't need spells when I can firebomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
God drat the lavy area under catacombs is such a pain in the rear end. Think i'm a bit low being there at level 33, Tarkus 1 hits my dumb face.

e: spoiler tags