Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Never before has "death of the author" been looked upon more literally or with more hope than it is in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I would honestly stop watching it if they killed off Tyrion in a less than heroic, end of the series way.

He's going to be drowned in Mehreen's sewage pit and you know it.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Never before has "death of the author" been looked upon more literally or with more hope than it is in this thread.

They say celebrity deaths happen in threes. Taking volume into consideration, which celebrity's life is saved by Martin's passing?

I'm hoping it's Brian Cox. I don't think Super Troopers 2 is finished filming yet.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Only 1000 posts in 3 months, if gurm was dead this thread would've exploded. :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's an odd thing to know that an author's death will actually hasten the release of his books.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
He can only die if he tells me the secret of Patchface first. Otherwise I'm gonna code that dude no matter what his DNR/DNI says.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HBO will pull a Sopranos and go to black screen in the final episode of GoT, we will never find out who sits on the Iron Throne.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

http://www.avclub.com/article/there-may-only-be-13-episodes-game-thrones-left-af-235344

I hope HBO makes them drag this poo poo out as long as possible, I want people to turn to the books thinking it'll give them closure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kavak posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/there-may-only-be-13-episodes-game-thrones-left-af-235344

I hope HBO makes them drag this poo poo out as long as possible, I want people to turn to the books thinking it'll give them closure.

If HBO has a deal with GRRM that lets them write more poo poo using the ASOIAF world then whether D&B want to do it is irrelevant because HBO will just find replacements. Doing some Dunk and Egg, Robert's Rebellion, the Dance of Dragons...etc could be a few seasons each on their own. Maybe they wouldn't be as big since people will know what the outcome of those events are already but we could still get something like Bran greenseeing to the far north's land of eternal winter and show us a season with the Thens facking ice spiders and whatever other crazy poo poo is way up in those places. OR we get some Assai and Jade Sea stuff (based around Euron?) or even just post-ASOIAF poo poo with the winner trying to rebuild and fend off challengers.

Even after the horrible sansa rape toy, bad pussy, and other poo poo season 6 is probably going to still have a metric fuckload of people watching it and they'd have to do some pretty terrible stuff to not have a millions of viewers screaming for more even after Jon takes the iron throne and weds Dany while Tyrion serves as Hand and Varys pushes a bunch of reforms to help the smallfolk.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I haven't actually looked it up, but based on what I've heard/seen, didn't season 5 win like more emmys than ever, and was considered a huge success, despite it being hot garbage? I expect it to continue to explode into season 6.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

I haven't actually looked it up, but based on what I've heard/seen, didn't season 5 win like more emmys than ever, and was considered a huge success, despite it being hot garbage? I expect it to continue to explode into season 6.

It wouldn't surprise me, these awards have a bit of inertia and the show is probably still reaping the rewards of its early seasons that were actually decent.

(apparently it's been collecting the most emmies for the past 3 years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Game_of_Thrones)

It feels weird waiting after an HBO show to provide some closure on a rather obscure series of books I started reading in high school when everyone was getting into Harry Potter. (I live in France, not sure how popular the books were in the US at the time of their publication)

I mean, I'm sure deep down no one cares anymore but we still can't stop watching this trainwreck.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I mean, I'm sure deep down no one cares anymore but we still can't stop watching this trainwreck.

I still very much care what happens to Rickon and Patchface.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I still very much care what happens to Rickon and Patchface.

Someone should upload the picture of all the dropped characters on that boat set to Lonely Island's I'm on a boat!

When they are done with that, they should make a compilation video of Brienne's best scenes set to Like a Boss.

And one of Theon set to Dick in a box.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Evil Fluffy posted:

If HBO has a deal with GRRM that lets them write more poo poo using the ASOIAF world then whether D&B want to do it is irrelevant because HBO will just find replacements. Doing some Dunk and Egg, Robert's Rebellion, the Dance of Dragons...etc could be a few seasons each on their own. Maybe they wouldn't be as big since people will know what the outcome of those events are already but we could still get something like Bran greenseeing to the far north's land of eternal winter and show us a season with the Thens facking ice spiders and whatever other crazy poo poo is way up in those places. OR we get some Assai and Jade Sea stuff (based around Euron?) or even just post-ASOIAF poo poo with the winner trying to rebuild and fend off challengers.

Even after the horrible sansa rape toy, bad pussy, and other poo poo season 6 is probably going to still have a metric fuckload of people watching it and they'd have to do some pretty terrible stuff to not have a millions of viewers screaming for more even after Jon takes the iron throne and weds Dany while Tyrion serves as Hand and Varys pushes a bunch of reforms to help the smallfolk.

Nobody wants to watch any Dunk and Egg. But HBO can make a spinoff of GoT about Tyrion wondering around Westeros and the fantasy European continent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

High school spinoff should be alright

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I will be the first to say that ANY thrones spinoff /prequel / sequel series will bomb terribly.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Nothing will bomb at this point if it has sex, dragons and Game of Thrones brand

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

High school spinoff should be alright

Westeros Girlz!

All the characters from the series but now as teenagers in high school and all their japes and goofabouts. Coincidentally comes with a toyline featuring all the female characters with Bratz-esque features and outfits. Gets a little confusing because of things like Catelyn and Sansa being two grades apart yet somehow still mother and daughter.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

MrSlam posted:

Westeros Girlz!

All the characters from the series but now as teenagers in high school and all their japes and goofabouts. Coincidentally comes with a toyline featuring all the female characters with Bratz-esque features and outfits. Gets a little confusing because of things like Catelyn and Sansa being two grades apart yet somehow still mother and daughter.

The only confusing thing would be the feeling in GURM's pants.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's not confused by it.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
He's had dick sepsis before. Nothing new.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TommyGun85 posted:

I will be the first to say that ANY thrones spinoff /prequel / sequel series will bomb terribly.

In a world where The Walking Dead continues to be about the most popular thing on TV I don't think anything that's a GOT spinoff could possibly fail. Just put dicks and tits in something in a low fantasy setting and have Peter Dinklage show up in the first episode.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Guiness13 posted:

He's had dick sepsis before. Nothing new.

he has?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

pidan posted:

he has?

Ended up in the hospital for a little bit. E coli in the urinary tract. There's only so many ways you can get that in there.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
can someone explain the difference between low fantasy and high fantasy to me and why asoiaf is referred to as low fantasy.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TommyGun85 posted:

can someone explain the difference between low fantasy and high fantasy to me and why asoiaf is referred to as low fantasy.

high fantasy is poo poo where theres elves and magic everywhere. low fantasy is the more 'realistic' worlds without magic. asoiaf is high fantasy presenting itself as low because magic died off in the world and theres just humans, but all the elements of high fantasy are coming back after being forgotten in time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

TommyGun85 posted:

lmao you are dumb as poo poo

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

TK-42-1 posted:

high fantasy is poo poo where theres elves and magic everywhere. low fantasy is the more 'realistic' worlds without magic. asoiaf is high fantasy presenting itself as low because magic died off in the world and theres just humans, but all the elements of high fantasy are coming back after being forgotten in time.

There is magic in low-fantasy, but it's usually gritty dark blood magic that has nebulous rules and origins and stuff and nobody likes it while high fantasy practically has mana-points that can be restored by drinking a blue potion.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmao you are dumb as poo poo

we'll see

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

I'll put money on it right now if you feel like betting that an audience who skyrocketed the sales of multiple 1000 page books of ASOIAF because their favorite TV show is based on it are too lazy to watch another TV show.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

whatever7 posted:

Nobody wants to watch any Dunk and Egg. But HBO can make a spinoff of GoT about Tyrion wondering around Westeros and the fantasy European continent.

I'd love a Dunk & Egg series, but I doubt the average non-book-reader would be interested.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

Low fantasy has midgets instead of dwarves

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i only made it like a quarter of the way through ADWD, is it worth finishing?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Not even GRRM thought so

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not even GRRM thought so

:perfect:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not even GRRM thought so

:eyepop:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not even GRRM thought so

:vince:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not even GRRM thought so

:iceburn:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not even GRRM thought so

:pusheen:

Wrap it up, thread's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:thurman: