Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I bought into 16 GB two years ago and I wouldn't feel bad about 32 GB now for a gaming or workstation build. That's like another $100 on top of your build, which is minimal relative to the chance of future-proofing.

My AM1 fileserver even has 8 GB in a single DIMM so I could upgrade if needed (2 slots). I am actually just going to upgrade to my Z400 with 16GB ECC RAM.

On the other hand future-proofing RAM is silly since it's the most easy upgrade you can do on a computer as long as you haven't filled all the slots. Fill half of the slots and then buy more when you need it or when the price of the DIMMs stops dropping.

It would be more worthwhile to put that money on a bigger SSD, which is a bit annoying to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That is pretty crazy. Skylake does seem to be good for gaming for sure, but really driver optimization and especially the eventual rollout of DX12 might change that a lot for the multicore crowd. We will have to see.

A while back I did some 3D Mark comparisons of my 3930K at 4.6Ghz vs a 5960X at 4.4Ghz, and outside of the 2 core difference that showed what I would expect for a difference there, the old SB-E chip was able to keep up. Multithreaded apps will definitely keep the higher core count chips relevant for longer, but hopefully DX12 will also do the same for gaming and allow games to use all available resources rather then just relying on the fastest 1/2 core like they have for the past DX9-11 era.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Saukkis posted:

On the other hand future-proofing RAM is silly since it's the most easy upgrade you can do on a computer as long as you haven't filled all the slots. Fill half of the slots and then buy more when you need it or when the price of the DIMMs stops dropping.

It would be more worthwhile to put that money on a bigger SSD, which is a bit annoying to upgrade.

Not necessarily. The hardest part about doing some now, more later is the fact that matching ram later can be a pain in the rear end when they stop making that same kit/speed combo at a later date. Sure you can mismatch and not have a problem at stock usually, but when you want to extend the life and OC, having mismatched ram can be a royal pain in the rear end. I almost got burned on that back when I did my current rig. I had 16 and later was thinking of maxing it out for some VM work. Finding the matching kit a year later was tough but luckily possible.

Upgrading an SSD however is peanuts if you have a extra storage drive to make a Windows Backup too. Just backup an Image to a separate drive, swap the SDD's, restore, and you are off. I did just this going from 2 120G Plextor M3P's to 2 500G 850 EVO's. Once you image it over, expand to the new size and you're done. Speed didn't change a whole bunch, (M3P's were drat fast drives) but the open space I have now is so much nicer.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder if the next gen of high end GPUs will show similar results in SLI comparing haswell e to skylake. I think I'll base my decision on whether to get big haswell or skylake based on that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 13, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

wipeout posted:

I wonder if the next gen of high end GPUs will show similar results in SLI comparing haswell e to skylake. I think I'll base my decision on whether to get big haswell or skylake based on that.

With SLI and the next gen cards, you might want to wait and take a good look at the PCI-E 3.X lane usages. Especially if you are interested in VR. With Skylake still limited to 8X speeds in SLI, the GPU image transfer latency goes up a lot when they are limited to the slower speeds on even older cards (680's etc) so on faster current gen and future gen cards, it may become an even bigger deal with more demanding games and larger frame data.

Sure current GPU's can't saturate the lanes between the CPU and GPU's, but GPU to GPU, that is where the speed matters now that VR is here and frametime means everything. X79/X99 can run SLI at full 16X where Skylake will only do 8X and until that changes, you may want to stick with Haswell/Broadwell-E when it arrives.

Though if You want a Skylake i7 Right Now

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 13, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This is great advice; will Intel be releasing a new chipset for broadwell e? Not that there is anything I'd want that isn't in x99 already.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

wipeout posted:

This is great advice; will Intel be releasing a new chipset for broadwell e? Not that there is anything I'd want that isn't in x99 already.

It is possible but seems unlikely, as Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E shared the X79 chipset and as far as I know X99 supports Broadwell-E.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

best you're getting is probably another PCIE m.2 port and boards that ship with new bios

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

best you're getting is probably another PCIE m.2 port and boards that ship with new bios

Exactly.

When IB-E arrived, Asus pretty much just dropped one killer X79 that was an improvement in pretty much every way on my board. The X79 Deluxe (A evolution of the very good P9X79 Deluxe)

I was really tempted to get that board because it seemed to have everything I really wanted for a X79 board, but back when I built mine, it was a batter between the P9X79/Deluxe/WS/Extreme whatever. Then they go and build this and put in pretty much the best of all their stupid options. :argh:

However X79/X99 board are just not cheap, but they have been feature filled. The Asus X99 Deluxe isn't going to leave you wanting. And the X99 Rampage is just an OC'ers dream but drat have they gotten stupid expensive.

Also remember that the 5820K doesn't have as many PCI-E Lanes as the 5930K. 28 vs the full 40. Another stupid thing to keep in mind when getting a X99 setup for SLI/CF. :/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Saukkis posted:

It's trivial to upgrade an SSD. Buy a USB 3.0 dock, use Macrium Reflect to clone it across, expand the main partition with GParted or some other partition management tool, swap out the current SSD for the bigger one. Seriously takes about a half hour tops.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's trivial to upgrade an SSD. Buy a USB 3.0 dock, use Macrium Reflect to clone it across, expand the main partition with GParted or some other partition management tool, swap out the current SSD for the bigger one. Seriously takes about a half hour tops.

Macrium can expand the partition during the clone.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Probably some USB 3.1 Type A and C ports too, at least assuming that they do make some new boards or a new chipset.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

Macrium can expand the partition during the clone.

How much does this cost over the free Windows Backup method? I could see a direct clone getting you up quicker but at what cost?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

EdEddnEddy posted:

How much does this cost over the free Windows Backup method? I could see a direct clone getting you up quicker but at what cost?

Macrium has a free edition that can do this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah the free version does all that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eletriarnation posted:

Macrium has a free edition that can do this.

Macrium Reflect Free is fantastic for all your basic partition-level needs. It's also pretty good as a backup solution, particularly if all you want is a snapshot image (some of the fancier features for incremental backups need the paid Home version). One of the best pieces of software out at the moment.

I don't think its compressed images are as good as 7zip can deliver though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it at all possible to overclock the i5-2500 non-K on Q67? I might be able to get such a machine for very cheap/free from work. Even stock it would be much faster than my C2Q and really would be good enough to scrap my Skylake plans altogether if oveclockable.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it at all possible to overclock the i5-2500 non-K on Q67? I might be able to get such a machine for very cheap/free from work. Even stock it would be much faster than my C2Q and really would be good enough to scrap my Skylake plans altogether if oveclockable.

No. Even in a Z68 or whatever the right chipset is, the max multiplier is locked at whatever stock is. Without a Z68 chipset I'm pretty sure you don't even have the option to change the multiplier. You can't change BCLK because other things in the system like the PCIe ports will bug out, so you're stuck at stock.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 14, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So, speculation on the next generation of Intel processors being what it is, would it be worth it to go from an i7-3820 (3.6-3.8 GHz, 4C/8T) to a Xeon E5-2670 (2.6-3.3 GHz, 8C/16T) for about $90 shipped, or should I hold out for whatever the 7th generation is going to be? I do about equal parts gaming and virtualization, and one of the things that I saw in Intel ARK that was that the E5 does PCI-e 3.0, not just 2.0 like the 3820.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

So, speculation on the next generation of Intel processors being what it is, would it be worth it to go from an i7-3820 (3.6-3.8 GHz, 4C/8T) to a Xeon E5-2670 (2.6-3.3 GHz, 8C/16T) for about $90 shipped, or should I hold out for whatever the 7th generation is going to be? I do about equal parts gaming and virtualization, and one of the things that I saw in Intel ARK that was that the E5 does PCI-e 3.0, not just 2.0 like the 3820.

Where do you get one for 90 shipped? Looks like a really nice processor.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NATEX usually has a couple in stock. They're used, tested, and in working condition with a 60 day warranty. They're basically a wholesale previous-previous-generation electronics recycling/reseller.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

PCIe is a non-issue for gaming. If you have shitloads of USB 3.1, Thunderbolt, or PCIe SSDs in addition to your Tri-SLI setup then yeah, it can make a difference. Otherwise though? Not at all. Buy it for virtualization, but it'll be a downgrade for gaming.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Intel Launches Cloudbooks

Anyone else think this is going to fail miserably?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I run a W3690 in my Mac Pro and it still plenty fast. So I guess that this processor will also make for a nice server processor. Especially the amount of RAM it can handle.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

Considering laptop makers have been selling them in units of millions already, not really. Intel just decided to give a name to the laptop class.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

More specifically, they're announcing new Atom cores to be available in the 2nd half of 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
All they really have to do is force OEMs to build devices with 4GB+ RAM.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Last I saw that would push OEMs into Microsoft Tax territory since the lower RAM machines were qualified for bulk Windows licensing at stupidly-cheap rates rather than the 4GB tablet style models. Unless MS has relented I don't see how they could keep costs down to make this work for the market. Laptop / PC sales are just plain down for years and years now and even tablets are hardly moving and have hit market saturation point it appears.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

necrobobsledder posted:

Last I saw that would push OEMs into Microsoft Tax territory since the lower RAM machines were qualified for bulk Windows licensing at stupidly-cheap rates rather than the 4GB tablet style models. Unless MS has relented I don't see how they could keep costs down to make this work for the market. Laptop / PC sales are just plain down for years and years now and even tablets are hardly moving and have hit market saturation point it appears.

Basically what happened is that laptops and tablets started being durable enough and fast enough to last a good long while.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

necrobobsledder posted:

I'd blame the decline of tablets on the rise of phones with bigger screens.

If netbooks can succeed as a product category, I can't let myself be surprised about any weird product succeeding

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I still think we need more UMPCs on the market... :shrug:

Not tablets; big, thick UMPCs with discreet graphics and a 8" screen.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

but they already sell toughbooks

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I too wish for a good actually useful version of the nVidia Shield.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really want an updated Asus-T100 type of convertible with a faster, cheaper Atom and a decent amount of memory. Perfect machine for traveling light.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Well, there actually is a newer version of the T100 - the T100HA has Cherry Trail, 64GB of storage and 4GB of memory compared to Bay Trail/32GB/2GB in the T100TA. It's not really cheaper though unfortunately.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Considering laptop makers have been selling them in units of millions already, not really. Intel just decided to give a name to the laptop class.

I'm not following, weren't netbooks an abysmal failure?

Although, I suppose you may argue that with a minimum of 4GB RAM and a SSD Standard it may be worthwhile but I feel that OEM will merely just throw in the worst chassis, screens, keyboards and trackpads.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know, they certainly didn't last, but they were very popular for a couple years going, probably made tens of billions. Regular laptops dropped close enough in price to obsolete them, more than anything else.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

How do you define that? ASUS is still making them so I assume there's a market, and the smaller Chromebooks seem like basically netbooks to me - they're just running a particular OS that allows a manufacturer to cut the bill of materials even further.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

those shitbook $250 laptops with atom-based dual core celerons and 500gb hard drives still sell fairly well because they're fast enough to run flash games

not much in the way of yearly sales like with people looking for 2mm thinner ~ultrabooks~ though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I hate those little shitbooks because of all the complaints we get about "the internet being really slow" :smithicide: