Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But the cat came back the very next day
The cat came back, they thought he was a goner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Busket Posket posted:

Lazarus update: The prognosis was 2-3 days of syringe-feeding her warmed slurry to get her strength back enough to eat on her own. I got up at 6:00, and she started the mega-meows she does to say I'M HUNGRY. Mind you, she showed no interest in food for two days prior to her 'demise,' so it's been almost a week since I've heard that meow.

I put some wet foods with gravy on a plate to see what she'd do.

Here she is, demolishing said foods. :black101:

Two hours later, she's kept the food down and got a solid hour of cuddles and pets while purring like a muscle car.

this is fuckin' wild. congrats on your alive cat

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You might wanna mush up her food some more for a few days, just to make it easier to digest, even though she's keeping it down.

Also goddamn that story is amazing.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Lazarus is a perfect name

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

My mind keeps coming back to "Lady Goativa" for this.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

MikeJF posted:

You might wanna mush up her food some more for a few days, just to make it easier to digest, even though she's keeping it down.

Also goddamn that story is amazing.

Yeah, I was in a state of sleepy/amped and figured I'd food-process it if she didn't feel up to the little chunks. It's probably best to blend up the tuna-vitamin smoothies for the next couple days now that she's on the mend.

She even licked her butt for the first time in a week, which is not a thing I thought I'd ever be excited about.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Busket Posket posted:

Otis looks like an excellent fluffbutt who cares about the cleanliness of your face.

Lazarus update: The prognosis was 2-3 days of syringe-feeding her warmed slurry to get her strength back enough to eat on her own. I got up at 6:00, and she started the mega-meows she does to say I'M HUNGRY. Mind you, she showed no interest in food for two days prior to her 'demise,' so it's been almost a week since I've heard that meow.

I put some wet foods with gravy on a plate to see what she'd do.

Here she is, demolishing said foods. :black101:

Two hours later, she's kept the food down and got a solid hour of cuddles and pets while purring like a muscle car.

I was having a really poo poo day, but reading about Lazarus has made me very happy. Hope she has many more years to come.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Busket Posket posted:

The other day, I posted here about the passing of my cat, Dead Kitty.

We took her body to the local Cat Doctor today, because they do little cremations. The vet there took the box we brought her in, walked to the back, but soon came racing back out as I settled the fee.

The vet does brief checks on each kittycorpse before processing. This cat had been in there since Saturday, hadn't moved or made a peep, but she detected a faint heartbeat.

By some grace of something, a liter of fluid later, some steroids and antibiotics, and a nebulizer treatment, she's now asleep in the doorway to my bedroom.

Her name is now Lazarus.

I basically lurk in this thread to make the work day seem less long. I've had a really lovely time of it at work the last few days and reading this was such a huge boost that i sorely needed. It compelled me to break my lurking streak. I'm so happy for you and your gorgeous kitty. :3:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you accidentally bury your cat in a secret place behind a Pet Sematary? :ohdear:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Busket Posket posted:

You motorboatin son of a bitch :3:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
And now I'm unreasonably happy because her story has cheered people up. An ouroboros of happiness for all!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Busket Posket posted:

And now I'm unreasonably happy because her story has cheered people up. An ouroboros of happiness for all!

Indeed! I don't know how to make a gif, otherwise I would but:

This Pleases Butterscotch

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Chili posted:

I'm trying to convert it for you with imgur's video to gif but it's being a poo poo and refusing to acknowledge that the video's longer than a second when selecting end time. :( If anyone knows of a better converter do tell.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Chili posted:

Oh my god :3:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Chili posted:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

:shittypop:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Haha, you guys are incredible

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That meow face...

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I am actually tearing up at the story of Lazarus. I have not had to deal with the death of a pet since I was a kid but having gotten my current three cats I know it will hit me hard. Hell, the kitten I found last year and I posted about in the last cute thread I think who passed away shortly after had me basically out of it and useless for a month. You try very hard not to get too attached to wild, potentially sick kittens like him, but goddangit the only thing he wanted in the world was to sit on my chest and put his head under my chin. I dare anyone not to just fall in love with that.

I hope you have lots of good times with her for as long as she decides to stick around again. :3:

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
The Lazarus saga reminded me about a goose my stepdad had when I was younger. She was actually pretty nice (the only one ever, I'm p sure). One day my stepdad went out to feed her, and she was cold and limp. We didn't have a shovel, so he waited a couple days until he could get to town and buy one.

So three days later, he goes to town, buys a shovel, comes home and digs a hole. He put her in the hole, and threw a shovelfull of dirt on her, and she promptly honked, and jumped out of the hole. He renamed her Jesus.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Being pregnant and catching up on this thread is too much, I'm crying and laughing and all sorts. Hooray for Lazarus!

My Lovely Horse posted:

But the cat came back the very next day
The cat came back, they thought he was a goner

Any excuse to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI1pWkHto0

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh wow, somehow the first time I read that as Lazarus cat was some unrelated cat the vet just happened to have in the back room or something and you adopted it. Probably the name change threw me off. With a proper read, that's an amazing and uplifting little story. :3: Good for you and Lazarus.

This thread has the best stories.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Here's a different take on the Butterscotch .gif

http://i.imgur.com/h3vtXDh.gifv

Sadly I only know how to point Gooncam at things, because it would be rad if that could be made to loop back and forth somehow.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
http://i.imgur.com/5DsGMEG.gifv

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
removed a few frames there to make it a bit smoother:

http://i.imgur.com/HwkZGBj.gifv

also:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

This dog loves Phil Collins.

I CAN FEEL IT, COMIN' IN THE AIR TONIGHT!!!! OH LAWD!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

nerdz posted:

http://i.imgur.com/HwkZGBj.gifv

also:

Tardigrade!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

This dog loves Phil Collins.

I CAN FEEL IT, COMIN' IN THE AIR TONIGHT!!!! OH LAWD!

That's exactly what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91IGOM4tIWo

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

nerdz posted:

now with auto align and gif tech

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

lord funk posted:

Beautiful.

Lazarus will be so apathetic when I tell her about the title change :neckbeard:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Busket Posket posted:

Beautiful.

Lazarus will be so apathetic when I tell her about the title change :neckbeard:

Yeah, man, she's been to heaven and back. Everything else must be meh.

https://vine.co/v/eLzWh1tbnP6

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I just figured "is cat; output will be apathy or disdain."

Pictured: excited Busket, apathetic Lazarus trying to mash fur up nose

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

A true work of art.

And as the owner of a cat who has achieved the status of cute thread title, Butterscotch and I welcome Lazarus to the ranks.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Lazarus rules.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
No pictures I'm afraid but a cute story. Yesterday afternoon I found a baby ground squirrel where I work in Scottsdale AZ, which is near a lot of open desert. Lots of squirrels running around but this one was way too far from where he was supposed to be. He was shivering and squeaking for his mom. His eyes weren't quite open yet, probably only a couple weeks old. I only had a few minutes left on my lunch break, so it was leave it to nature or take him back inside and wait until I could get him home. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of leaving early.

So I sat at my desk and finished the work day with the little guy in my lap, covered by my coat. I had messaged my manager about the situation and she said no way to keeping the squirrel inside, but when she came and saw him she pretty much fell in love with him, and later brought about seven people by my cubicle to see. He was the star of the office that day.

When I got him home we got some Pedialite to hydrate him and a heating pad to put him on, and the little guy started to perk up. Getting liquid into him was tough because he was so squirmy and wanted to climb everything, but he eventually started sucking it down and was able to sleep.

I kept giving him liquid every hour or so, and each time I brough him out he was doing a little better and getting bolder. I named him Squiggle.

Next morning he woke me up with a littany of high pitched chirps to let me know he was cold. I reheated his pad (one of those rice pad things for aches and pains) and put it in with him, and he went right back to sleep.

I didn't feed him during this time, because the info on what to feed squirrels was conflicting- milk, no milk, puppy replacement milk is fine, absolutely not, etc. They all agreed warmth and liquid was most important so I stuck with that.

As soon as I got up I called a lady in Queen Creek who does rehab of small mammals. I took Squiggle to her as soon as I could this morning, and she told me he was in fine shape and would do well with the other baby squirrels she had (she got seven new ones just over the weekend).

I had been worried about whether I did the right thing by taking him, as whenever you see a baby animal it's always possible mom is nearby and will come get him. But from what I described, with Squiggle so far from the normal area, wandering alone, the lady surmised that something had happened to the mom or the nest had beed disturbed, and even at two weeks the babies will crawl out looking for her if she doesn't come back.

So little guy had a hard day yesterday but he's now safe and sound and will grow up with his squirrel buddies. God speed, Squiggle.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Croisquessein posted:

No pictures I'm afraid but a cute story. Yesterday afternoon I found a baby ground squirrel where I work in Scottsdale AZ, which is near a lot of open desert. Lots of squirrels running around but this one was way too far from where he was supposed to be. He was shivering and squeaking for his mom. His eyes weren't quite open yet, probably only a couple weeks old. I only had a few minutes left on my lunch break, so it was leave it to nature or take him back inside and wait until I could get him home. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of leaving early.

So I sat at my desk and finished the work day with the little guy in my lap, covered by my coat. I had messaged my manager about the situation and she said no way to keeping the squirrel inside, but when she came and saw him she pretty much fell in love with him, and later brought about seven people by my cubicle to see. He was the star of the office that day.

When I got him home we got some Pedialite to hydrate him and a heating pad to put him on, and the little guy started to perk up. Getting liquid into him was tough because he was so squirmy and wanted to climb everything, but he eventually started sucking it down and was able to sleep.

I kept giving him liquid every hour or so, and each time I brough him out he was doing a little better and getting bolder. I named him Squiggle.

Next morning he woke me up with a littany of high pitched chirps to let me know he was cold. I reheated his pad (one of those rice pad things for aches and pains) and put it in with him, and he went right back to sleep.

I didn't feed him during this time, because the info on what to feed squirrels was conflicting- milk, no milk, puppy replacement milk is fine, absolutely not, etc. They all agreed warmth and liquid was most important so I stuck with that.

As soon as I got up I called a lady in Queen Creek who does rehab of small mammals. I took Squiggle to her as soon as I could this morning, and she told me he was in fine shape and would do well with the other baby squirrels she had (she got seven new ones just over the weekend).

I had been worried about whether I did the right thing by taking him, as whenever you see a baby animal it's always possible mom is nearby and will come get him. But from what I described, with Squiggle so far from the normal area, wandering alone, the lady surmised that something had happened to the mom or the nest had beed disturbed, and even at two weeks the babies will crawl out looking for her if she doesn't come back.

So little guy had a hard day yesterday but he's now safe and sound and will grow up with his squirrel buddies. God speed, Squiggle.

Inspirational! This thread has been delivering on great stories lately.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Croisquessein posted:

;_____; Oh, gently caress. Good job, Squiggle. Godspeed.

Goddamnit, you guys. Too much thread delivery this cycle, I tell you what.

vvv: PUT HER IN A LITTLE JESUS COSTUME

cash crab has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Apr 14, 2016

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

You.

You are wonderful.

To take time out of your day to nurse a tiny Squiggle is awesome.

Chili, because of your av, in my mind Butterscotch is owned by Cpl. Ray Persons.

Now taking requests for Lazarus-pics during my day off tomorrow.

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...
Just give Lazzy lots of cuddles and smoochies and photograph everything. What an amazing story! I'm so happy for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Thank you all :love: and special thanks to the great lady who runs Desert Cry Wildlife and takes in all the little animals other people consider nuisances. If you find orphaned or injured squirrels, rabbits, skunks, etc. in the Phoenix area, please give her a call.

Croisquessein has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Apr 14, 2016