Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
---

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Self-Publishing Goons: i can see his dick through his jumpsuit.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
that slack is by far the most active place for self pubbers talkin' smut i've found so far. plus, glorious gifs! it's like IRC, but if IRC wasn't stuck in 2001.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, I said awhile ago I wanted to join that slack... And then slacked (that pun had to happen). But I wanna join for sure! Who do I email to get in?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 26, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I emailed you too.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

brotherly posted:

that slack is by far the most active place for self pubbers talkin' smut i've found so far. plus, glorious gifs! it's like IRC, but if IRC wasn't stuck in 2001.

Please. IRC is stuck in 1992.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
I'd like in too, please. Emailed.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
drat, I had an utterly massive amount of returns on the 1st. Someone returned close to 30 of my titles they had bought during the previous month, so now I have more "-1"s than I do stories with positive sales. (I'm guessing it was one person because they all showed up at the same time). Ate over half of my sales from yesterday. What a wonderful start to the month :negative:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Got a god drat one star on my new book right out of the gate. I looked and the jerk gives almost everything a one or two star. Jerk.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
That has happened to me once or twice. Unless I have tons of other promo lined up, I tend to kill the book immediately and re-list it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Three already lined up for the 11th dang it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Quick question / confirmation. Thinking about going for this competition with my current work in progress. My current quandry though is that if it doesn't win, I don't want to end up missing out on the free Amazon promo when it first comes out.

Looking at the terms, it looks like inkshares offer a non-exclusive option. Can I put the stuff on there, and then if I'm not in the competition, just withdraw it and then publish exclusively on Amazon to take advantage of the KU promos?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Looking at the terms, it looks like inkshares offer a non-exclusive option. Can I put the stuff on there, and then if I'm not in the competition, just withdraw it and then publish exclusively on Amazon to take advantage of the KU promos?

As long as it's not available anywhere else when you publish on Amazon, you can enroll it in KDP Select/KU and use the promos.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Do you write hard scifi regularly or is this going to be a one-off?

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

EngineerSean posted:

Do you write hard scifi regularly or is this going to be a one-off?

I've been writing hard scifi, because it's what I enjoy. I've been thinking of taking it into more scifi/fantasy though. My research into this genre (ie. all the books I've ever read) makes me think the market is flooded, but it's what I enjoy writing. Has anyone had any success with it?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I don't think that particular genre is flooded, I just don't think that particular contest or Avenue of promotion is worth writing hard scifi if you aren't already devoting time to a pen name already. It's one of my dreams to have a story in Analog or Asimov's someday but that would be a vanity project rather than something that I'd consider as a strategy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The one I was already working on is futurism, mining on mars in 2050. They keep using the Martian as an example so it seems appropriate. The major sticking point is that i'm going for a dark comedy feel, and i'm not sure that's what they're looking for.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I might have my first real hit on my hands...over 200 sales on it so far today and it's 672 rank so far. I'm hoping I can break top 500 and just kind of hang out there for a while...

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

angel opportunity posted:

I might have my first real hit on my hands...over 200 sales on it so far today and it's 672 rank so far. I'm hoping I can break top 500 and just kind of hang out there for a while...

Confuckingrats!

I finished my very first full length novel last night, for my new PNR pen name, so it will definitely not be a hit. But hey, I'm one novel closer to my first hit than I was yesterday. :unsmith:

EG
Jan 10, 2007
I just released an urban teacher memoir / inner city school turnaround book and have been trying to create a Twitter following to market it. Is there an app people use to manage Twitter followers? I've never had a personal account so I'm a rookie. I'm torn between marketing to urban teachers who actually want to fix things and conservative nutjobs who want to see how terrible schools are to justify not sending their kids to public school. I guess I could try both.

Here's a link to my book. I've got it on Kindle now and a CreateSpace paperback will be coming out next week.
http://www.amazon.com/In-Bottom-1-Challenge-Reforming-ebook/dp/B01DWHRWE4?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Any other feedback would be welcome also.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

For anyone on the fence with Scrivener you can get it at Tested's website for $22.50. Hit the drop-down menu to select the PC version. It's well worth the money.

https://store.tested.com/sales/scrivener-2-for-os-x

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Trustworthy posted:

Confuckingrats!

I finished my very first full length novel last night, for my new PNR pen name, so it will definitely not be a hit. But hey, I'm one novel closer to my first hit than I was yesterday. :unsmith:

Hey, first romance novel done last night buddy. :respek:

Lywinis
Nov 5, 2007

I can bench more than you.
Really enjoying this sudden burst of productivity. Four days and I've logged 22k words. Not too shabby. The final part of this trilogy should be done by Friday? If I keep the pace going.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I have a silly stupid question for the thread, and I apologize if it was answered elsewhere. Is it possible to publish through Amazon, Apple, et. al, and in such away that you can be totally certain you won't make any money? I ask because I want to get back into writing but I'm living and working abroad and a condition of my visa is that I not make any money from anything else, even working for myself.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

BuckarooBanzai posted:

I have a silly stupid question for the thread, and I apologize if it was answered elsewhere. Is it possible to publish through Amazon, Apple, et. al, and in such away that you can be totally certain you won't make any money? I ask because I want to get back into writing but I'm living and working abroad and a condition of my visa is that I not make any money from anything else, even working for myself.

Just write, stockpile your works and then publish when your visa situation changes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Just write, stockpile your works and then publish when your visa situation changes.

I'm going to second this. AO can speak more authoritatively on visas than I can, but my last job included visa-holder labor compliance; if your visa says no self-employment, don't. Are you trying to avoid the 30 day cliff? Or are you just itching to pull the trigger on something?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

BuckarooBanzai posted:

I'm curious, why do you want to publish, then?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
You can price your work for $0 on most retailers.

Except Amazon. They'll price match to $0, but you might make a few bucks before they do.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I'm curious, why do you want to publish, then?

I used to write for a hobby but never got a chance to put stuff out there. This was years ago, mind you. I'm looking to get back into it and it'd just be nice to see my stuff get read by someone who isn't my wife.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Just publish it a word press site or whatever I say.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I just recently learned about Lulu and it seems like a really good service to use
Anyone here with any experience with it? Even if I don't go full-blown self-published with the book I'm writing right now, it seems like a great way to get a physical copy of it to give to my niece when she's actually old enough to read it without immediately bending and standing on it

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I used Lulu waaaaaayyyyy back when. You can get hardcover editions, which is nice if you don't want to publish but want to give something to your family.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
For paperbacks, CreateSpace proof copies are probably better for affordability / quality. Hardcovers from Lulu are nice, though.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Has there been any discussion of this article?

http://www.annchristy.com/ku-scammers-on-amazon-what-you-need-to-know/

quote:

One thing we were all assured by Amazon…many times…in writing…was that Amazon knew how much a reader was reading in each book and they would pay us for those pages.

Scammers being scammers, they realized Amazon was lying very early on. Amazon couldn’t tell what pages were read. They only knew the last place you were at in the book. And that’s what they were paying authors, the last place that the reader synced in the book.

So, a KU borrow on a device that didn’t sync until after the book was read and the reader flipped back to the front to check out what else you’d written? Yeah, no pages read.

But likewise, a reader who clicked a link on Page 1 offering them the opportunity to win a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and a $100 Amazon Gift Card….which then sent them to the back of a 3000 page book? Yep, you guessed it. They got paid for 3000 unread pages. (And no, there was no winner for those contests that anyone knows off.)

Keep in mind, Amazon clearly knew this was happening, because the page limit for books in KU changed very recently (and abruptly) DOWN to 3000. There were 10,000 page books in KU doing this before that change. Even at $00.0041 per page (which is our lowest payout yet), that’s a big payout.

One of the scammers has YouTube tutorials on how to pull the scam. He showed a screen shot of a 15 year old kid’s KDP Dashboard who made over $70,000 in one month pulling this scam. And there are HUNDREDS of them.

quote:

The profit?

With a 25 member Click Coop that requires 2 KU accounts per member, a minimal scammer will make 600 bucks for each book. With an easily managed 25 books, that total is now $15,000. For a few days time and minimal work. Outlay can be as low as $20 for their two KU accounts plus $125 for new covers.

Doing this once a week (since Click Coops likely work on a schedule or max), the scammer has earned $60,000 in that month.

Some scammers are in the business in a much bigger way and they earn a great deal more.

That’s it in a nutshell. If you want some visual aids and some breakdown in more detail, keep reading. Otherwise, you’re now in the know!

That seems like a huge problem.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Maybe if enough people gently caress the system enough they'll get rid of KU.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Amazon is currently ignoring this problem and hoping that all publishers forget about it. Based on past experiences I would say that that was a good strategy but this one has been picked up by a few pro-Amazon bloggers and self publishers.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
That's a hell of a scam - and they're screwing over indie self-publishers! Bravo!

If Amazon can't accurately track the number of pages a reader has read, then Amazon has no business paying authors by the page. Zero. None.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's been going on for quite some time, but when it came to light last month and people started digging up numbers on just how much some of these scammers were making, the KU rate suddenly lurched upwards to coincide with Amazon's statement that they were dealing with it. The trouble is, unless Amazon actually start reviewing the content of the books they accept and not just the cover and blurb, it's pretty much impossible for them to keep on top of it. Unfortunately, when you outsource your 'content review' to low paid Indian workers who may not have the best grasp of English, and who are probably dealing with dozens if not hundreds of books per day each, that is just never going to happen.

As the system is set up right now these scams will continue to happen, and millions of dollars will be siphoned off from the pot each month. Amazon will presumably plug the gap as best they can by pumping cash in to keep the rate where they want it to be, but until they fundamentally change how KU works, they can't stop it.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The rate lurched up ten percent because they shaved fifteen to twenty percent of the total pages of most books, which just kinda proves my point that for the most part, hoping that publishers forget these facts has been a winning strategy for Amazon.