Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Godzilla King of the Monsters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDtmouV9kM

King Kong Godzilla Super Friends coming up!

https://twitter.com/kongskullisland/status/885166877147660288

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Best I could do with all of them. If you see [...] it's because I couldn't make it out or it isn't visible at all.

Splitting the Atom
Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity ultimately leads to the splitting of the atom and the dawn of the atomic age.
This epoch-defining stage in human evolution will act as a beacon that awakens ancient superspecies sustained by nuclear energy.

The U.S.S. Lawton Incident
[...] survivor. Haunted by the memory of that day, Randa will go on to become one of MONARCH's foremost operatives, searching for the truth behind the ancient creatures that exist beneath the surface of our world.

MONARCH Founded
In the aftermath and cover-up of the U.S.S. Lawton incident, President Truman unofficially establishes "MONARCH Unit", A small, off-book research team established to engage in the systematic study of "Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organisms". Privately, many of Truman's allies question the validity of the group's theories and work to keep their existence a secret.

The Great Smog of London
Baffling meteorologists and defying [...] this unexplained weather phenomenon [...] overwhelmed by huge clouds of air-pollution [...] MONARCH theorizes that the beating [...] could have created an anticyclone th[...] pollutants across the city.

Siberian Mystery

Mission: Skull
MONARCH surreptitiously partners with LANDSAT and the 1st Aviation Brigade, 3rd Assault Helicopter Company to mount an expedition to the mythical "Skull Island" in an uncharted corner of the south Pacific. Encountering the god-like superspecies known as Kong, they soon discover that mankind does not belong here.

Isla De Mona
A covert MONARCH team establishes a quarantine zone around the island's dormant volcano, under the guise of "environmental research". Over the coming years, what began as a small scientific outpost will expand to become a full containment facility around the mouth of the volcano.

Return to Skull Island
MONARCH security officer Aaron Brooks d[...] his father Houston Brooks and leads an off-the-books mission to Skull Island, to determine what has become of Kong since the 1973 expedition.

Janjira [...]
(graphic says "Janjira, Japan", this is the incident that killed Walter White's wife in Godzilla)

Temple of the Moth
Mythographic Studies of Chinese temples leads MONARCH to the high-altitude jungles of the Yunnan province. Dr. Emma Russell and her team follow a mysterious bio-acoustic signature to a previously undiscovered megalithic temple, within which lies a gigantic cocoon. A quickening heartbeat is detected inside.

A Mysterious Mercenary(?)

Message in a Bottle

The Battle of San Francisco
The existence of giant superspecies is revealed to the world as Godzilla clashes with two M.U.T.O.S in the center of San Francisco, unleashing devastation upon the urban center, the world watches as Godzilla defends our world and restores balance to the natural order. The time has come for MONARCH to step ouf of the shadows.

Monster Zero
When MONARCH discover an extraordinary superspecies sealed beneath the Antarctic ice sheet. Dr. Vivienne Graham leads hte effort to build a covert containment and research facility around the dormant creature. Her classified field notes contain a mysterious footnote: "The devil has three heads."

Godzillza Anime Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuW6HURwKWg

New Godzilla Anime coming up

Seemlar posted:

The plot on this one is a doozy. It's about humanity having fled the Earth in ark ships after losing a 50 year war against Kaiju, now returning to try and retake a world that's been ruled by Godzilla for 20,000 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKHXvYZQN4Y

---------------------------------

http://shin-godzilla.jp/

When I first saw this design, I wasn't sure what to think. That all changed today when I saw the newish trailer for this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw

Looks vicious, looks damaged, and most of all, it looks like they're really promoting being able to see the monster more than just hiding him in the shadows like Godzilla (2014).

Directors: Hideaki Anno, Shinji Higuchi
Production company: Toho Co., Ltd.
Music composed by: Shiro Sagisu
Written by: Hideaki Anno
Starring:
Hiroki Hasegawa
Yutaka Takenouchi
Satomi Ishihara

I was ultimately disappointed by the US movie because of the many reasons others have articulated since the movie came out. As more information gets released, I'll be sure to keep this thread up. That being said, the fact that this is written by Anno gets me excited and a little apprehensive. I doubt we'll get much Godzilla introspection but you can expect some excellent visuals and controversy over themes presented by this film.

I guess this might be why we haven't seen Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 yet. He's been busy getting his Kaiju game on! That and this little tidbit from the end of the Wiki article:

In late March 2016, it was announced that Toho's Godzilla and Anno's Evangelion intellectual properties will form a "maximum collaboration" for merchandise in April 2016.[25]

Stolen from the Kaiju Thread:

Godzilla over the years:

Edit:

New Toho commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCxeP2HLrcg

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This looks amazing and I cannot wait. But I highly disagree with your opinion of Godzilla 14. Edwards did a superb job of building up suspense and the slow burn paid off. That Godzilla was a force of nature and I think even more screen time would have cheapened it. At least in his first movie.

We are probably going to get more action if the rumors of Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah are in the next.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
looks bad to me OP

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Also, that loving tail is like 3 times as long as before.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Stupid question but someone had a chart or something in the previous Godzilla thread comparing the heights of various versions of Godzilla. How big is this one supposed to be? In the wide shot he looks enormous, towering over buildings and stuff. Is that typical? I thought the 2014 one was supposed to be bigger what they usually do with the character.

Intense trailer, I can't wait. :D The only thing that worries me is about the effects is how smoothly they can have him moving if they're going to roll with him being in broad daylight/etc. regularly. I LOOOOOOVE the molten skin thing, it's awesome looking.

I loved Godzilla 2014 for a lot of reasons that also were already talked about at length when it came out, this looks rad as hell too.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I disagree with your feelings on Godzilla 2014 because of the many reasons others have articulated since the criticisms came out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

no film could survive Godzilla 2014's protagonist.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Martman posted:

I disagree with your feelings on Godzilla 2014 because of the many reasons others have articulated since the criticisms came out.

Bad news: this looks like Godzilla 2014.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The red glow looks kind of like Godzilla vs Destroyah. I wonder if they'll re-use "Godzilla is melting down and will contaminate everything"? Although that would make shooting all the guns while he's in the middle of a city a little silly.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

no film could survive Godzilla 2014's protagonist.

I dunno Godzilla does pretty good in movies usually.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

why is godzilla just standing about not doing anything

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

why is godzilla just standing about not doing anything

He doesn't seem very agile at all.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

He doesn't seem very agile at all.

Yeah where are the backflips and cartwheels.

This movie is going to loving own. The pic of Godzilla in the op is so good.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Shiro Sagisu owns and those tiny forearms/hands really creep me out, especially how they're almost always grasping at air. I'm looking forward to it just as much as 2014s because more Godzilla is always better.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Do not show your Godzilla-crazed five year old the trailer to a new Godzilla movie that neither he nor his dad even knew was coming right before bedtime.

"Oh my god!"
"Daddy, how he get so gigantic?"
"What did they do to him?"
"I think he bigger than 2014 Godzilla!"

The most critical issue of course:

"I want to see his [new] atomic breath."

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Why does this earthquake movie constantly cut to static images of a rubber dinosaur?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

wdarkk posted:

The red glow looks kind of like Godzilla vs Destroyah. I wonder if they'll re-use "Godzilla is melting down and will contaminate everything"? Although that would make shooting all the guns while he's in the middle of a city a little silly.

I know nothing about either these directors (besides that one cool short) or the Godzilla franchise, so take this with a grain of salt. There is one shot of disaster footage in the trailer that really reminded me of post-2011 tsunami pictures. Godzilla being a walking Fukushima seems sort of an obvious route to go at this point in time. The military being really prepared but ultimately useless could be an Abe criticism, or just following Godzilla conventions.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Godzilla 2014 the first two times I watched it. I was the biggest fan as a kid and wasn't surprised by the fact that Godzilla was a hero or anything.

I think my third viewing soured things a bit when I started letting Aaron Taylor Johnson's plot get to me and the criticisms of the movie itself started becoming apparent. I still like the movie and hope for more US Godzilla movies. In the end, I just didn't absolutely adore the movie as I thought I could have.

Martman posted:

I'll revisit and look at the reasons others have articulated about the criticisms. Its a valid point and I haven't really thought about the movie since I just saw this trailer this afternoon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shadowhand00 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Godzilla 2014 the first two times I watched it. I was the biggest fan as a kid and wasn't surprised by the fact that Godzilla was a hero or anything.

I think my third viewing soured things a bit when I started letting Aaron Taylor Johnson's plot get to me and the criticisms of the movie itself started becoming apparent. I still like the movie and hope for more US Godzilla movies. In the end, I just didn't absolutely adore the movie as I thought I could have.

I'll revisit and look at the reasons others have articulated about the criticisms. Its a valid point and I haven't really thought about the movie since I just saw this trailer this afternoon.

You shouldn't adore movies, you should criticize them. Movies aren't supposed to be perfect, they're art. Every movie you see is a bunch of videos some people took of other people and stuff. Your parents did that to you when you were a child, maybe.

Thinking of movies as products to be consumed is the most terrible, horrible thing you can do to them.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

That tail is just ridiculous

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah where are the backflips and cartwheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuEa6Hum0b4

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

I know nothing about either these directors (besides that one cool short) or the Godzilla franchise, so take this with a grain of salt. There is one shot of disaster footage in the trailer that really reminded me of post-2011 tsunami pictures. Godzilla being a walking Fukushima seems sort of an obvious route to go at this point in time. The military being really prepared but ultimately useless could be an Abe criticism, or just following Godzilla conventions.

Well those are definitely things you could make a Godzilla movie about. Especially the Abe thing.

How many Godzilla movies aren't anti-military or anti-militarist? I guess you could say Against Mechagodzilla and Final Wars (and maybe Tokyo SOS, not sure).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Re: Godzilla 2014, eh, the human plot was dumb dumb dumb, but the monster plot was pretty great. I'd place it firmly in the middle of the pack as a perfectly average film. There are some in the series with less monster time.

meanwhile, wow has the look of Godzilla in the new one grown on me. The poster gives him googly eye and that bugs me, but the rotting flesh is pretty great. Are we dealing with the zombie corpse of the first Godzilla? Also am I remembering early press correctly and the costume is, for the first time, a mixture of suitmation and CGI?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Re: Godzilla 2014, eh, the human plot was dumb dumb dumb, but the monster plot was pretty great.

They are connected and cannot be separated like you are trying to do.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
The human plot sucks really really hard and Taylor is a trainwreck in that movie but Godzilla himself owns

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

This looks amazing and I cannot wait. But I highly disagree with your opinion of Godzilla 14. Edwards did a superb job of building up suspense and the slow burn paid off. That Godzilla was a force of nature and I think even more screen time would have cheapened it. At least in his first movie.

We are probably going to get more action if the rumors of Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah are in the next.

Godzilla is not a force of nature Godamnit! he is very explicitly a manmade force! the 2014 movie isn't a godzilla movie (it's a fine film but not a godzilla movie) it's a natural disaster flick where a lizard shaped hurricane comes in and kills some monsters.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Elfgames posted:

Godzilla is not a force of nature Godamnit! he is very explicitly a manmade force! the 2014 movie isn't a godzilla movie (it's a fine film but not a godzilla movie) it's a natural disaster flick where a lizard shaped hurricane comes in and kills some monsters.

...so what you're telling us is that you've never seen the Heisei series. Gotcha.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

...so what you're telling us is that you've never seen the Heisei series. Gotcha.

show me the japanese film where godzilla is an "apex predator" instead of the result of a nuclear attack or weapon

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Elfgames posted:

show me the japanese film where godzilla is an "apex predator" instead of the result of a nuclear attack or weapon

How about where he's the accumulated ghosts of the WW2 war dead?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

We live in the Anthropocene now, it's becoming increasingly difficult to view nature as separate from mankind.

Godzilla 2014 tends to follow the logic of mankind can influence/wake up the monsters but not necessarily control them right? That sort of reflects our interactions with the global environment right now. We can heat up the planet, but we don't really want too and find it hard to stop. There's a lot of fair criticisms of Godzilla 2014 but the force of nature argument doesn't seem like one.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

How about where he's the accumulated ghosts of the WW2 war dead?

you mean the one where the souls of the dead turn the weapon that killed them onto the nation that forgot them?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This trailer fucken rules.

Elfgames posted:

Gojira 1984.

Also: Gojira 1954.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This trailer fucken rules.
Gojira 1984.

In Tokyo, Okamura realizes by looking at pictures that the monster he saw was a new Godzilla. Maki writes an article about the account, but the news of Godzilla's return is kept secret and his article is withheld. Maki visits Professor Hayashida, whose parents were lost in the 1954 Godzilla attack. Hayashida describes Godzilla as a living, invincible nuclear weapon able to cause mass destruction. At Hayashida's laboratory, Maki meets Okamura's sister, Naoko, and informs her that her brother is alive and at the police hospital.

A Soviet submarine is destroyed in the Pacific. The Soviets believe the attack was perpetrated by the Americans, and a diplomatic crisis ensues, which threatens to escalate into nuclear war.

wrong

and the 1954 one is so wrong that i can't wait to here your rebuttal

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Elfgames posted:

In Gojira he was just a dinosaur that was woken up/pissed off because of the nuclear weapon testing, but he wasn't created by it.

Short of Godzilla vs. King Ghidora giving Godzilla that origin story as a much smaller "Godzillasaurus" on an island somewhere that gets mutated to be huge I don't know of any other Japanese film where radiation is specifically the cause of his origin.

The 1998 Matthew Broderick film is explicitly that though.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bob Quixote posted:

In Gojira he was just a dinosaur that was woken up/pissed off because of the nuclear weapon testing, but he wasn't created by it.

Short of Godzilla vs. King Ghidora giving Godzilla that origin story as a much smaller "Godzillasaurus" on an island somewhere that gets mutated to be huge I don't know of any other Japanese film where radiation is specifically the cause of his origin.

The 1998 Matthew Broderick film is explicitly that though.

nuclear weapons were his origin, he was created by it.

Godzilla's attack mirrors the same horrors the Japanese experienced near the end of World War II, with the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Producer Tomoyuki Tanaka stated that, "The theme of the film, from the beginning, was the terror of the bomb. Mankind had created the bomb, and now nature was going to take revenge on mankind."[11] Director Ishirō Honda filmed Godzilla's rampage on Tokyo with the mentality that the monster's onslaught was a parallel to, and a physical manifestation of, an Atom bomb attack. He stated, "If Godzilla had been a dinosaur or some other animal, he would have been killed by just one cannonball. But if he were equal to an atomic bomb, we wouldn't know what to do. So, I took the characteristics of an atomic bomb and applied them to Godzilla."[11]

godzilla is an atomic bomb given flesh.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Elfgames posted:

In Tokyo, Okamura realizes by looking at pictures that the monster he saw was a new Godzilla. Maki writes an article about the account, but the news of Godzilla's return is kept secret and his article is withheld. Maki visits Professor Hayashida, whose parents were lost in the 1954 Godzilla attack. Hayashida describes Godzilla as a living, invincible nuclear weapon able to cause mass destruction. At Hayashida's laboratory, Maki meets Okamura's sister, Naoko, and informs her that her brother is alive and at the police hospital.

A Soviet submarine is destroyed in the Pacific. The Soviets believe the attack was perpetrated by the Americans, and a diplomatic crisis ensues, which threatens to escalate into nuclear war.

wrong

and the 1954 one is so wrong that i can't wait to here your rebuttal

The 1954 Godzilla is an apex predator that is woken up by a bomb. Metaphorically, the creature represents Serizawa's research into the Oxygen Destroyer.

The 1984 Godzilla is an apex predator woken up by an undersea volcanic eruption. Metaphorically, the creature represents a generalized sense of malaise.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The 1954 Godzilla is an apex predator that is woken up by a bomb. Metaphorically, the creature represents Serizawa's research into the Oxygen Destroyer.

the oxegen destroyer is a bigger bomb, of course they represent each other.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Elfgames posted:

the oxegen destroyer is a bigger bomb, of course they represent each other.
You are basing these assertions on a mix of wikipedia articles and fantasies.

The 'Oxygen Destroyer' is not a bomb, and the monster does not represent it.

The monster in the film represents pure drive - in this case the scientific drive to pursue knowledge for its own sake, regardless of the consequences.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

You are basing these assertions on a mix of wikipedia articles and fantasies.

The 'Oxygen Destroyer' is not a bomb, and the monster does not represent it.

The monster in the film represents pure drive - in this case the scientific drive to pursue knowledge for its own sake, regardless of the consequences.

the oxegen destroyer is basically a bomb

and yeah the two are the same, A thing which becomes a weapon and must be destroyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Elfgames posted:

the oxegen destroyer is basically a bomb

and yeah the two are the same, A thing which becomes a weapon and must be destroyed

However, in a more accurate sense, it isn't a bomb at all and you are unconcerned with whether what you are writing is true.

The Godzilla of 1954 had been worshiped as a pagan demon-god for untold centuries before the existence of nuclear weapons.