Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Most DF fortress deaths I read about seem to be more due to the horrible dwarf AI vs some raid actually getting too massive or plagues or any of the sundry things that kill you in Rimworld.

I think the fundamental :airquote: problem with Rimworld is that Tynan seems to be wanting to make a game that is about the struggle of a few dudes that crash on a planet, survive in the wilderness, build a ship, and leave. And everyone else seems to want to play DF with graphics. So Tynan keeps making changes that make it harder and harder to defend and make it less and less viable to just make a mountain home and live there forever because he wants you to drive toward that "winning" goal.

My colonies that survive long enough to really be self sufficient tend to get abandoned because I just run out of resources, without 3d digging and terraforming and making some grand goal to make a giant statue of your leader over 70 z-levels underground Rimworld just runs out of things to do other than just build a ship and :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The cave bugs are pretty darn easy to deal with. Bulk goods trader usually comes with 3k+ of stone, steel, or wood. You really dont have to worry about running out of supplies.

I started to like DF less when they added z levels. I prefered the river-pit-lava river playstyle.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tenzarin posted:

The cave bugs are pretty darn easy to deal with. Bulk goods trader usually comes with 3k+ of stone, steel, or wood. You really dont have to worry about running out of supplies.

I found that more true in A12. The constant parade of tribals with 4 medicine, a uranium club, and 500 silver are far more common. I've gone over a year without a ping from the comm console.

I'm tempted to try making all the tribes hate me and see if that results in more trade ships (tho I'd be sad to stop seeing the "A trade caravan from Clown Town has arrived in the area", because that was the randomly generated name of the tribe :v:)

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you guys make a lot of good points, and hell, i agree.

just fyi- most of this game is "in the open" so to speak. if you have a text editor, you can see and edit a lot of the internal workings. i'll probably post a few more of my homebrews (all very simple edits) later after i test them out to make sure nothing's obviously horribly broken.

in the meantime, i'd love to see your bases! here are two ive had since a13 hit:

azhais- i think the "problem" is that tynan perhaps overly favors story generation vs. gameplay. also remember that he just took a 6 month break and the project has kinda been running on autopilot wrt new features, while the gestalt was underappreciated or beyond the purview of the working devs. im hopeful that tynan will do a fun/balance/vision patch now that he's back, and recall that building the ship was literally a throwaway "now you have a win condition" addition to the game. z levels are practically necessary at this point imo due to the sprawl/pawn-transit-time issue that continues to exist, tho the time dilation was a critical step on that path, too.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How the hell do you add z-levels to this game without massively and cripplingly exploding the scope?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Where are your killboxes?

I dont want to have to deal with z levels in this game. When I have to check multiple levels and can't watch the game from a basic view point it gets lame.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Demiurge4 posted:

How the hell do you add z-levels to this game without massively and cripplingly exploding the scope?

You don't. Tynan said he's not even considering it. Would Unity even support such a thing without making each Z-level its own zone?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Z-Levels only work if you're Dwarf Fortress and insane or if you're not top down. I'd kill for a game that played exactly like this, but with the appearance of Cities Skylines and the ability to at least make watch towers and multi-story buildings.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
All I want is the ability to build a small structure that I can use to shoot over walls.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i can't speak to the technical challenges, but I would be happy w 1 z lvl up n down. i know tynan has spoken against it before, but, as an utter novice, i still think it would be a good idea. No killboxes necessary- ive been playing phoebe, rough, v modded. both bases have accurate artillery emplacements and embrasured outer defenses, while the first also has an op turret emplacement. the similar L-shaped approaches are where enemies typically funnel due to strong stone double walls built elsewhere on the map. it's me, im the ez-mode carebear.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tenzarin posted:

I started to like DF less when they added z levels. I prefered the river-pit-lava river playstyle.

If they could have preserved that some how in the translation I would be super happy.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I ended up with an all-women colony and used the console thing to make them gay in the hopes for some relationship drama, but now there are less fistfights than there were before. :sigh:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

packetmantis posted:

I ended up with an all-women colony and used the console thing to make them gay in the hopes for some relationship drama, but now there are less fistfights than there were before. :sigh:

Make them all straight again and either turn one male or drop a mid twenties non deformed man in there. See if cat fights ensue.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Do that but make the man gay

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Azhais posted:

Most DF fortress deaths I read about seem to be more due to the horrible dwarf AI vs some raid actually getting too massive or plagues or any of the sundry things that kill you in Rimworld.

I think the fundamental :airquote: problem with Rimworld is that Tynan seems to be wanting to make a game that is about the struggle of a few dudes that crash on a planet, survive in the wilderness, build a ship, and leave. And everyone else seems to want to play DF with graphics. So Tynan keeps making changes that make it harder and harder to defend and make it less and less viable to just make a mountain home and live there forever because he wants you to drive toward that "winning" goal.

This is a good point, I think you're right.
What is funny is Rimworld isn't particularly good at telling that story. Rimworld seems to be better at creating extremely grim soap operas. By the time my colonies build a ship, or are wiped out, the original colonists are long gone. It feels like Neighbours in space. If you're watching a soap every day, you don't really notice how quickly the cast is changing. If you stop watching for a month, and then come back to it, you find that half the cast is gone. Rimworld feels the same. Maybe one of your colonists visits a grave, and you realise that all three of the original colonists are buried in that graveyard. None of your current colonists were involved in that original ship crash, and they all have their own reasons for being part of the colony. For a lot of them, they were press-ganged into it, and now they're here because of momentum and stockholm syndrome. As a result, building a ship and getting back into space doesn't really make all that much sense. The original 3 presumably had a planned destination when their ship crashed that they'd like to get to, but these people don't.

The "escape back into space" narrative makes even less sense if you use prepare carefully, but that's to be expected as it's a mod.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
On the flip side, the escape-into-space narrative makes perfect sense if you believe their motivations are "Hey guys, let's find a planet where we aren't constantly attacked by pirates, giant killer insects, giant killer robots and the occasional mad squirrel".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
For my colonists, their motivations are "Man these pirates are delicious with hot sauce, we're staying forever"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

MadJackMcJack posted:

On the flip side, the escape-into-space narrative makes perfect sense if you believe their motivations are "Hey guys, let's find a planet where we aren't constantly attacked by pirates, giant killer insects, giant killer robots and the occasional mad squirrel".

Mmm, true. This planet sucks.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Flesh Forge posted:

Do that but make the man gay

This is my current game and I didn't even plan it. They propose him every day and everyone is miserable.

Rimworld isn't Dwarf Fortress because the cast is so much smaller. It's easier to just forget about people in Dwarf Fortress when there's 200 of the fuckers, while Rimworld getting 15 is considered fairly huge. It's less about making a working city than it is a small band of survivors like a post apocalypse show that are constantly getting their dumb asses eaten by zombies bears.

My motivation is to turn every super smart pig on the map into a hauler. That and to have an army of attack Boomrats that are a danger to pretty much everyone in battle.

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe a system where your original colonists are exceptional in some way and form the basis of your technology efforts. While everyone else is a Rimworld savage where only the 1% can contribute anything beyond labor and some crafting, basically make the original 3 glitter world refugees.

I'm just really into the idea of gating technology and a deeper skill system where the crafting skill doesn't encompass everything from wooden bows to nanotechnology.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

That sounds horrendous tbh

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe a system where your original colonists are exceptional in some way and form the basis of your technology efforts. While everyone else is a Rimworld savage where only the 1% can contribute anything beyond labor and some crafting, basically make the original 3 glitter world refugees.

I'm just really into the idea of gating technology and a deeper skill system where the crafting skill doesn't encompass everything from wooden bows to nanotechnology.

This is what I do with prepare carefully, start with two super geniuses to make the early game quicker and have them care for and train the normies.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone else have trouble with Prepare Carefully? Once turned on, I cannot start the game, both the "prepare carefully" and "start" buttons during colonist generation do nothing, though I can press back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It has been working okay for me. I used it to start a game last night and hooo boy, it almost feels like cheating. Things are going much more smoothly.

Except for the part where I somehow trapped ahead of boomalopes in my base. Anyone have any good ideas on how to fix that problem? Taming them would be a chore and shooting them is likely to end poorly.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Internet Explorer posted:

It has been working okay for me. I used it to start a game last night and hooo boy, it almost feels like cheating. Things are going much more smoothly.

Except for the part where I somehow trapped ahead of boomalopes in my base. Anyone have any good ideas on how to fix that problem? Taming them would be a chore and shooting them is likely to end poorly.

Taming them is your best bet. It'll help your colonist level up the skill and they won't have to go far to do it so it's not that terrible. Then just zone them out of the base or train them in Release and use them as animal grenades.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The escape into space narrative makes no sense when there's ship apparently passing by that you can trade with who can pull up the things you sell them. Why can't our colonists just pay them for a ride to a less lovely planet? If they have the resources to make their own spaceship they can afford to pay for a ride.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taeke posted:

This is what I do with prepare carefully, start with two super geniuses to make the early game quicker and have them care for and train the normies.

I made an industrious, sanguine, very neurotic researcher/doctor and it was hilariously broken. 75% work speed increase or something similar.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Slime posted:

The escape into space narrative makes no sense when there's ship apparently passing by that you can trade with who can pull up the things you sell them. Why can't our colonists just pay them for a ride to a less lovely planet? If they have the resources to make their own spaceship they can afford to pay for a ride.

"hello I would like a ride to the nearest glitterworld please. Yes I have infinity food and also some solid gold statues to use as payment."

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Slime posted:

Uh, that's what happened to those slaves that you can occasionally buy off them. Never trust a trader.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Maybe they have no cryosleep space? The space travel in this game is creepy as gently caress, I wouldn't want to do it twice.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I like the family things. Makes the game a little more interesting when your impregnable colony gets destroyed because a cougar ate your power armoured brawlers favourite chicken and now he's on a psychotic break and killing everyone.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fans posted:

This is my current game and I didn't even plan it. They propose him every day and everyone is miserable.

Rimworld isn't Dwarf Fortress because the cast is so much smaller. It's easier to just forget about people in Dwarf Fortress when there's 200 of the fuckers, while Rimworld getting 15 is considered fairly huge. It's less about making a working city than it is a small band of survivors like a post apocalypse show that are constantly getting their dumb asses eaten by zombies bears.

My motivation is to turn every super smart pig on the map into a hauler. That and to have an army of attack Boomrats that are a danger to pretty much everyone in battle.

On time in dwarf fortress, I was having dwarfs just die on me. There always something going on and I would go up and down z levels and sometime notice a red name. After awhile I noticed the red name was my master blacksmith, he was also a vampire sometimes killing a dwarf. I locked him in his room forever.

I could never make a working army in dwarf fortress, those fuckers would train forever. Always training, first fight all of them die to like a rat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Z-Levels only work if you're Dwarf Fortress and insane or if you're not top down. I'd kill for a game that played exactly like this, but with the appearance of Cities Skylines and the ability to at least make watch towers and multi-story buildings.

Stonehearth is worth checking out at least. It's voxel based 3d and has building and mining and combat. It's got a much shorter feature list overall though just because even with a team developing a 3d game is an order of magnitude more complex.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
loving PC mod still won't work. Am I doing something wrong? Prepare Carefully and 'Start' buttons are both broken. They make the 'depressed' animiation and sound, but the game won't start or go to the PC screen :sigh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tias posted:

loving PC mod still won't work. Am I doing something wrong? Prepare Carefully and 'Start' buttons are both broken. They make the 'depressed' animiation and sound, but the game won't start or go to the PC screen :sigh:

Works fine for me, what mods do you have installed? Maybe something else is breaking it

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Man, I haven't played this in a while.

So, I'm not getting ANY local traders (not surprising, my guys are cannibals and organ-harvesters, albeit only against raiders), but I DO have a lot of things I want to sell. Does the Orbital Trading Beacon still exist in some form, or is there some other way to get merchants to pass by?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

So, I'm not getting ANY local traders (not surprising, my guys are cannibals and organ-harvesters, albeit only against raiders), but I DO have a lot of things I want to sell. Does the Orbital Trading Beacon still exist in some form, or is there some other way to get merchants to pass by?

You have to research it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Merchants come from the other factions, so if they all hate you you won't get any merchants. Orbital beacons are a quick research, like the 500 point microelectronic one maybe that you want to do early anyway for the better research bench.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If all else fails you can force a trader even in the debug menu somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Well, turned out to be academic, toxic fallout + heatwave + short circuit + perpetual rain in summer of year 1 killed them all. Maybe I'll try one of the other AIs.

Edit: Thanks for all the help though, at least I learned to make microelectrics my first research.