Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Preoptopus posted:

Penantrant and tighten before you loosen. Back and forward.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwz7BhAWZE

This guy cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, is the part you've got the stuck bolt/ez-out in aluminum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Yes. poo poo that's a good idea. Did a shitton of drilling and then gave up and decided to take it to someone with the right gear and save myself the hassle

I might start a thread detailing my various adventures in mechanical ineptitude with my landcruiser as well as random idiocies like this

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

kastein posted:

Lots of words.

Thanks for the input. I'll take it into consideration. And yeah, a sample rate of in the kHz range would be my goal. The resonance in looking for I could probably calculate based on wavelength in the print it's self and print speed at that point. But I'd like to get analytical on it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Yeah, the 1000lb one is the one to go for. The 750lb one only has three wheels, and is much easier to tip over. I have two of the HF 1000lb ones and one unknown brand 3-wheeler, and I much prefer the HF 4-wheeler ones. Although, those solid steel wheels really hate rolling over anything, so I hope you have a clean surface to roll it on.

You bolt it where the bellhousing goes. Like so:

Although I suppose your engine will be a little bit smaller!
Nope, but I have a broom :haw: Thanks for the input!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Note that it's a good idea to pick how you attach it to the stand based on whether you're making a short engine, or putting heads on it or whatever. The latter makes it top heavy, and bolting it onto the stand in such a way as to have the stand pivot about in line with the centre of mass makes it much easier to rotate for better access to stuff.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
What would be the best way to lengthen a hole? I'm drilling a winch plate for my jeep - Say I drill a hole to 3/8" and it turns out I needed the hole about an 1/8" to the left. Is a rasp what I'm looking for to make a 'slotted' hole?

e: Maybe my dremel tool...

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 11, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Astonishing Wang posted:

What would be the best way to lengthen a hole? I'm drilling a winch plate for my jeep - Say I drill a hole to 3/8" and it turns out I needed the hole about an 1/8" to the left. Is a rasp what I'm looking for to make a 'slotted' hole?

Best? Milling machine and an endmill.
I'd use a carbide burr on a die grinder. A rat-tail file will take forever, but it'll get there eventually.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just chuck up that size drill bit in your drill and bear down sideways on it till it walks not-quite-the-way-you-wanted it, grabs, snaps in half, and buries itself in your thigh.

(what sharkytm said)

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Just use a uni-bit and keep going until all the holes line up!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Stuck bolt story: my local friendly engineering firm tacked a bit onto it and spun it out for 20 bucks cash, Hilux is running again easily, I'm looking for a cheap used arc welder now

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Larrymer posted:

This guy cracked me up.
All of his videos are like this, they are loving great. The tool teardowns are awesome too. No bullshit, just straight up examining the insides, mechanics and electronics and figuring where they'll fail.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 12, 2016

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Qmass posted:

All of his videos are like this, they are loving great. The tool teardowns are awesome too. No bullshit, just straight up examining the insides, mechanics and electronics and figuring where they'll fail.
Also, his newfangled voice-activated camera focusing system is truly something to behold.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
What is everyone's favorite work flashlight? I'd like something I can slip in the pocket of my dickies shirt but I'm not tied to the idea. Thinking about this:

http://smile.amazon.com/Streamlight...words=Pen+light

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I have that and it's durable and bright as poo poo, a great flashlight. Trigger button travels far enough and is so stiff that half the time I can't one-hand it though. Compared to the soft buttons on Maglights it's kind of irritating but it's so much brighter that who cares.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Gave my friend one for christmas, he loves it. Its also handy as poo poo for working on cars. Its as bright as my old school hanging shop light and tiny as gently caress. Its a good light.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

El Jebus posted:

What is everyone's favorite work flashlight? I'd like something I can slip in the pocket of my dickies shirt but I'm not tied to the idea. Thinking about this:

Streamlights are nice, and I've had that one for years. My only complaint is that the retaining ring for the switch boot likes to strip its threads if you play with it too much, so... don't do that, I guess? Otherwise mine have been great.

Another option, especially if you're looking for more firepower, would be a BLF-348 paired with an Eneloop AAA; with the NiMH mine is brighter than my Streamlights. You could also use a 10440 lithium battery with this light- it's bright as hell, but you have to be careful about heat (it will seriously get hot enough to burn you if you leave it turned on long enough). I prefer this light to my Streamlights because it's smaller, it's brighter, and the Nichia 219B LED just plain looks nicer owing to its 90+ CRI. (If you do get this one, don't forget to use the coupon code to get it at the lowest price.)

Another suggestion would be the Coast HP1 when it comes back below $10. It's thicker than the Streamlights (but is still pretty small), takes AA or 14500 lithium batteries, and can be zoomed to either a flood light or a spotlight. (Don't bother with anything in between, the pattern is terrible.)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I spent 3 years of my life as the 7th most active poster on a flashlight enthusiast forum, AMA :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are they all crazy wierdos?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
My god yes. Myself included.

I have two custom modified 2D mag-lites with THIRTY WATT LED chips (one is a Cree MT-G2 being overdriven at 5 amps off a pair of 32650 li-ion cells (and if that cell size doesn't scare you, it should), the other a Cree XHP70 (basically MT-G2 v2) also at 5 amps off a pair of 32650s)

Each of them dumps out somewhere around three thousand lumens on high (the XHP70 would be 4000, but I went for a nice soft warm white tint which is less efficient but looks nicer to the eyes)

I also have multiple 2000-lumen-class flashlights running on 1 or 2 18650s (and one that dumps out 800 lumens off a single 18350 IMR cell, which is loving ABSURD GODDAMNIT)

It's amazing how much flashlight you can get for like $50 including multiple batteries and a charger these days. a Convoy S2+ will output nearly a thousand lumens (well, 800-850, but shush) off a single Panasonic NCR18650PF cell and the most ridiculous part is that the Nitecore charger that I'm a fan of costs more than the flashlight! (total? US$43.50 with free shipping. Yes, fasttech is a legit site, I buy poo poo from there all the time. Shipping's slow as hell, but it does show up!)

There's also my overall favorite manufacturer 4Sevens who was a mere custom flashlight builder when I still frequented the forums and has now turned it into a full blown business. They make such amazing pieces of technology as the 800 lumen Maelstrom MMR-X which comes with a rechargeable battery and the ability to recharge it through a waterproofed shielded microUSB port (you can run the flashlight on any standard 18650 cell as well, but it can only charge the special MMR-X cells as they have both terminals of the cell available at the head of the light) - it costs a hundred bucks and ships from within the USA, and it's even programmable to one of five different sets of settings.

And my favorite product of theirs, the Maelstrom MMU-X3R which is very similar to the MMR-X in functionality except instead of having a single XM-L2 emitter it has three of them and a peak output of 2000 lumens running off a single similarly modified 26650 li-ion that can, as you might have guessed, also be recharged through microUSB. Also for some reason they make a bluetooth connected CR123A powered light, the Quark Smart.

On the smaller end of the scale they make the Atom and Preon lines of itty bitty lights which are some goooood poo poo (I keep an old Preon ReVo SS on my keychain at all times and have done for... poo poo, six years now - its brightness on a lithium (not lithium ion, lithium primary, still ~1.5V) AAA is more than you generally need and the runtime is pretty awesome too.

I know I sound like a massive shill there, but I promise I just really love their poo poo - to be fair, I'll highlight some other companies awesome stuff that I own or have used, Fenix make some of the best flashlights and headlamps I've ever used (huge fan of one of their now-discontinued AAA headlamps, too) (though I will admit that I'm not super familiar with their recent lineup)

And I own and use multiple Nitecore flashlights like the EC4S (another 2000lumen twin-18650 flashlight) and their EC11 as modified by one of the flashlight forum crazies (Vinh Nguyen) with a really gorgeous warm white LED takes pride of place above my bed as an "ah gently caress I need to go to the bathroom and it's 3am" light, as it has an incredibly dim minimum brightness and also a fairly bright 3mm red LED integrated for night time purposes.

Well, that was a wall of text. It appears that while you can take the fish out of the flashlight forum you can't take the flashlight forum out of the fish

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 13, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

literally a fish posted:

I spent 3 years of my life as the 7th most active poster on a flashlight enthusiast forum, AMA :v:

What's the best 18650 headlamp and high capacity battery?

I've got a black diamond spot I use for backpacking and everything else around the house, and I'm done with lovely loving AAA batteries, especially the rechargeables. I was looking at the Fenix series headlamps... Are those the way to go?

Looking for a good balance of durable/waterproof, lower weight, and decent battery life/light throw. Bonus points for extra modes like red or lock so it doesn't turn on and drain the battery unbeknownst to me.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

El Jebus posted:

They are amazing lights. I bought my wife that one in red for Christmas and she uses it all the time. I liked hers so much I bought the rechargeable one. It has taken a beating and keeps on ticking. It has had fan blades hit it and it once fell from a car that was all the way up on the lift. And if 14" has shown us anything it's that streamlights can take a beating.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Larrymer posted:

This guy cracked me up.

Keep your dick in a vice

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

OSU_Matthew posted:

What's the best 18650 headlamp and high capacity battery?

I've got a black diamond spot I use for backpacking and everything else around the house, and I'm done with lovely loving AAA batteries, especially the rechargeables. I was looking at the Fenix series headlamps... Are those the way to go?

Looking for a good balance of durable/waterproof, lower weight, and decent battery life/light throw. Bonus points for extra modes like red or lock so it doesn't turn on and drain the battery unbeknownst to me.

I'd definitely have a look at Fenix and Nitecore's headlamp lines. There should be plenty of youtube and forum reviews of them, too

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

literally a fish posted:

And my favorite product of theirs, the Maelstrom MMU-X3R which is very similar to the MMR-X in functionality except instead of having a single XM-L2 emitter it has three of them and a peak output of 2000 lumens running off a single similarly modified 26650 li-ion that can, as you might have guessed, also be recharged through microUSB.

I bought this the last time you flashlight info dumped and it's awesome. Bright as gently caress and I didn't need to buy a special charger. Even the low setting is pretty bright and they claim some crazy long run time on low.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Wow, a lot of flashlight info the next morning. I think I'll be happy with the streamlight I linked but I'll remember this the next time I need more power! Thanks!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

literally a fish posted:

one of the flashlight forum crazies (Vinh Nguyen)
Vinh is a total flashlight nutjob, and I love his creations.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010
Surprising to see how little love there is for the euro tools despite some fellow British and European goons around.

Taken me a while to get it all together but it's pretty much everything required for the job, plus some work on the car.

Mostly Facom, Hazet, Knipex, PB Swiss, plus some others

Was going to ramble on :spergin: about all of it but accidentally pressed the back key so will try again tomorrow :saddowns:

Just added today - replaced the Facom 1/4" bits with some PB Swiss ones, and some new fabulous PB Swiss drift punches because...ordering anyway...soooo

Left on the 'to be obtained' list -

- Abnox Wanner single-hand pump grease gun, long flexible line with a rotating coupling and heavy duty head :D

e: durr

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Tawd posted:

Surprising to see how little love there is for the euro tools despite some fellow British and European goons around.

Taken me a while to get it all together but it's pretty much everything required for the job, plus some work on the car.

Mostly Facom, Hazet, Knipex, PB Swiss, plus some others

Was going to ramble on :spergin: about all of it but accidentally pressed the back key so will try again tomorrow :saddowns:

Just added today - replaced the Facom 1/4" bits with some PB Swiss ones, and some new fabulous PB Swiss drift punches because...ordering anyway...soooo

Left on the 'to be obtained' list -

- Abnox Wanner single-hand pump grease gun, long flexible line with a rotating coupling and heavy duty head :D

e: durr

I'm a huge Knipex fan, and own about 20 of their pliers. I adore my S-K Tuff-1 ratchets, which used FACOM 72-tooth guts.
PB Swiss is too spendy for me, sadly, but I've got a lot of Wera and Wiha tools as well.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

literally a fish posted:

On the smaller end of the scale they make the Atom and Preon lines of itty bitty lights which are some goooood poo poo (I keep an old Preon ReVo SS on my keychain at all times and have done for... poo poo, six years now - its brightness on a lithium (not lithium ion, lithium primary, still ~1.5V) AAA is more than you generally need and the runtime is pretty awesome too.

Gotta say, I have a titanium preon with both the single and double cell barrel, and while it is bright, the single AAA version of the Streamlight has been better for me. The Preon's tailswitch cap has been really unreliable, and I can't use it in twist mode one handed. The pocket clip is super weak as well. I bent mine beyond repair in the first week and have never had that issue with any other knife or flashlight. They were cool about sending me a free replacement clip, but it's the same lovely metal/design so it's not like it's going to last any better. In the end I went back to my Streamlight.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I completely agree on the OG preons, they're fairly meh. That's why i have a ReVo, it is twist-only and easily operated with one hand in twist mode, unfortunately it's also been discontinued for five years.

There's actually a whole new gen of Preon available now with a much better pocket clip and much nicer clicky switch, which might be worth checking out. Otherwise, DQG also make a bunch of really nice tiny AAA flashlights in stainless steel that you can get from GearBest, which I like.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Tawd posted:

Uh. We Americans love european tool brands. we just can't loving afford them.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

MRC48B posted:

on average, I'd say Snap-on, Mac, Matco, etc are much more expensive than the euro stuff, even factoring in freight.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Completely agree, no doubt, they're expensive. Very expensive. But...

Frank Dillinger posted:

on average, I'd say Snap-on, Mac, Matco, etc are much more expensive than the euro stuff, even factoring in freight.

I'm with him on this one.

code:
Hazet 905 1/2 Socket Set (31pcs)
Includes ratchet, breaker bar, t-bar, long and short extensions, flexible joint.
In blue sheet metal case.
Six-point sockets 8-32mm. Made in Germany.
EUR 399.34 (RRP 475.41) [tbs-aachen.de]
(USD 449.60, RRP USD 535.25)

Facom SL.DBOX1 1/2" Socket Set (21pcs)
Includes ratchet, breaker-bar, wobble extension. In plastic 'outside visible' box.
Six-point sockets 8-32mm. Made in Europe or Taiwan? Owned by Stanley Tools Group.
EUR 177.31 (RRP 304.15) [tbs-aachen.de]
(USD 199.66, RRP USD 342.37)

Snap-On 1/2 Set 317AMMPC (17pcs)
Includes ratchet, breaker bar, short and long extensions. Must be shipped in a container but no 'box'?
Six point sockets 12mm - 24mm. Made in USA.
USD 658.40 [snapon.com]
(I couldn't help but smile at the one reviewer saying 'I always reach for this set, it's my go-to man, it goes all the way up to 24mm!') ;)

The US's euro tool 'tax' doesn't seem significant - the 905 set can be had for 470 USD [jensputzier.com]

Obviously there's arguments to be made regarding tool truck service, warranty cover, quality and the like (all of which can vary for every brand depending on how the tool truck guy feels about you, for example); yet, when my Facom ratchet broke a replacement was shipped - no-questions-asked, without even having to return it. Just sent an e-mail to my supplier saying 'it's broke'.

I would be sincerely surprised if Hazet's retailers wouldn't replace a broken item.

Other factors aside, I'd suggest that Snap-On and the other major US brand's pricing is at least in part what they are because you get it on a weekly, cash-in-hand plan.

e: Haven't had a look at other types of tools, so there might be huge variation in that, but thought socket sets would be the most useful immediate comparison.

Tawd fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 14, 2016

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

sharkytm posted:

I'm a huge Knipex fan, and own about 20 of their pliers. I adore my S-K Tuff-1 ratchets, which used FACOM 72-tooth guts.
PB Swiss is too spendy for me, sadly, but I've got a lot of Wera and Wiha tools as well.

Warning - Large, spergy, effortpost, subjective, personal tool opinions of limited breadth and value ahead :can:

This is all in the context of my experiences in the last couple of years, using my own tools in a medium-duty industrial setting with some domestic automotive and DIY use.

Intensity-wise, it's not on the level of an assembly line, marine or automotive tech duty but we're more generally working on fittings that suit 1/2" drive and above.

The workplace is a food waste anaerobic digestion plant, so there's some risk of exposure to (mildly) acidic slurries etc. Generally, I'll always try to clean the worst off and oil stuff up afterward to compensate for this if it happens.

Figuring that it was a) my birthday quite soon and b) if I can't afford it now, I'll never be able to, I decided to put my time struggling with b-grade tools behind me and get some proper gear for my new job.

Facom - the majority of my kit is Facom.

The quality is generally solid-good to excellent. They seem to have some slightly more progressive/integrated ideas with design and storage compared to the other big Euro (German) manufuacturers such as Gedore or Stahwille, which appear to be a bit more conservative - the Facom fabric tool bag is a pleasure to use (and I have the hacksaw that slides in the front pocket there), as is the tiny but extremely handy RL.NANO1 1/4" socket/driver/bit set.

The 440.JP14 spanner set comes in a very handy plastic carrier. These are genuinely beautiful, well designed with regard to sizing, angles, offsets and raise a smile every time they are used...(Sad, I know).

And this hacksaw is solid, has a range of position settings for the blade and is auto-tensioning.

A benefit is that the range is generally extremely comprehensive; while there is a price tag attached what you get will generally be good.

The downside is that finish and solidarity can be variable; one of the metal supports in the bag has collapsed, admittedly because I carry far too much around in it. One Day the plan is to replace it with a nice thick slice of spring steel. One Day.

As mentioned before, I have had a ratchet fail on me, (admittedly, when someone else was doing...something...with it) which was replaced without quibble.

Having had to replace the 13mm spanner in the set above, (after it went walkies, unsurprisingly) the new one arrived in due course and it looked...different. I'm sure the metal is fine but the casting looked slightly (very slightly) off; it also had a different foundry mark so that might account for it. It's as good at spannering as the others.

The paint finish on a few items has chipped here and there (i.e. the pipe wrench/Stiltons pictured before). Having seen the wear on the blackened/phosphate part some hardly-used Facom hex sockets, I went to Hazet for them (when my Volkswagen needed a 14mm hex socket, god bless it.)

Also, oddly, the wobble bar in the 1/2" set has the logo and part number engraved backwards :downs:

Don't get the wrong idea, though, it is solid and I don't regret my purchases.

Hazet

I only own a few Hazet bits, but I've been really impressed with the quality of them. The TiN coating on the hex sockets is tough (even when hammered in to a difficult bolt) and the extendable 1/2" ratchet is...effective.
If I was to start over, I'd consider replacing Hazet for my Facom stuff. They're also good for German car stuff (i.e. XZN drives, special widgets etc.)

PB Swiss

One thing I can say for PB Swiss is that the quality of the metal they use appears to be genuinely excellent, having once witnessed one of my chisel/heavy duty screwdrivers being used in place of a 24mm bolt to support a section of KeeKlamp stair handrail. At the apex it must have been bowed out by about an inch. When removed, it popped back into shape no trubba.

Much like Facom, though, the quality of the finish/coatings seem to not be holding up very well on my hex key set, which is a shame because the colours are not only fun and downright fruity :gay: but genuinely useful - we'll have to see how the bits and drift punches hold up, but there's not much point in each item having an individual serial number if it wears off.

The PB 830 breaker bar is an understated work of art and is one of my favourite tools.

Knipex

Unlike Sharkytm's array, I only have the 3-pc standard pliers set, which are good in the hand, and the Cobra 3-pc water pump plier set; all holding up very well.

Wira a set of the heavy duty screwdrivers I've had before, very good. Not super expensive compared to other Euro brands. Wiha I haven't tried.

Bahco seems solid, but I don't like the adjustable spanners. They're a pain in the arse and don't seem to hold on to bolts correctly, which is pretty fundamental. Maybe I'm doing it wrong though?

Can't be faffed with any more :words: as it's ... oh god, 05h00 :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Twist-on/off could maaaybe be nice with some detents, but as-implemented it's why I never ever bother reaching for the other two Streamlights that I bought along with the original one linked above, even when they're better for a task. I regret buying them and it's solely because of that 'feature'.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

Twist-on/off could maaaybe be nice with some detents, but as-implemented it's why I never ever bother reaching for the other two Streamlights that I bought along with the original one linked above, even when they're better for a task. I regret buying them and it's solely because of that 'feature'.

Can't you get retrofit tailcaps that have a pushbutton action?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

literally a fish posted:

I completely agree on the OG preons, they're fairly meh. That's why i have a ReVo, it is twist-only and easily operated with one hand in twist mode, unfortunately it's also been discontinued for five years.

There's actually a whole new gen of Preon available now with a much better pocket clip and much nicer clicky switch, which might be worth checking out. Otherwise, DQG also make a bunch of really nice tiny AAA flashlights in stainless steel that you can get from GearBest, which I like.

Have you been able to get stuff reliably from GearBest? The one thing I bought from them (a dashcam) took forever and required a forum of people giving them a ton of grief before they finally started shipping them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
No matter how much stuff you have, you never have exactly the right tool for the job you've already started

Changing a spark plug:

Socket set 1 doesn't have a 10mm plug socket, only a 16mm
Same for set 2

Set 3 has the right plug socket in 3/8, but the 3/8 extension bar is 75mm and I needed 100mm
There is a 100mm extension, but it's 1/2

Set 1 has a 100mm extension, but it is 1/2" and the socket is 3/8
Set 2 has a 100mm extension, but it is 1/4"

Set 1 has a 1/2 -> 1/4 adaptor

3 socket sets, 5 ratchets, 5 extension bars are still no magic combination

No matter how much poo poo you buy - you always end up using the universal joint adaptor to get just a bit more length. It's like one of those brain teasers: 'how many different tools can you buy without having a complete combination for this puzzle?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

No matter how much stuff you have, you never have exactly the right tool for the job you've already started

Changing a spark plug:

Socket set 1 doesn't have a 10mm plug socket, only a 16mm
Same for set 2

Set 3 has the right plug socket in 3/8, but the 3/8 extension bar is 75mm and I needed 100mm
There is a 100mm extension, but it's 1/2

Set 1 has a 100mm extension, but it is 1/2" and the socket is 3/8
Set 2 has a 100mm extension, but it is 1/4"

Set 1 has a 1/2 -> 1/4 adaptor

3 socket sets, 5 ratchets, 5 extension bars are still no magic combination

No matter how much poo poo you buy - you always end up using the universal joint adaptor to get just a bit more length. It's like one of those brain teasers: 'how many different tools can you buy without having a complete combination for this puzzle?'

:(:hf::(

And my girlfriend makes fun of me for having so many different sockets and junk

"You've got six of the same socket!" :psyduck:

"Well, that's a 3/8, that's 1/2" in case I need to use my torque wrench, that's a deep well, and that's an impact, and on and on"

It's incredible the variety of tools you need for even such a simple job like spark plugs, or recently for me, changing headlights with hard to access bolts. Pro suggestion, best thing I've ever used with spark plugs was a locking extension--no more trying to fish out the socket and plug recessed deep in the back of the engine