Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

escalator dropdown posted:

At the end of the day, this is the answer when something in that pack (or any pack, really) feels like a brick wall. IIRC I did a few ME controllers legit, but mostly because 1) I hadn't touched magic, so I just started into that while my 8x reactors and recyclers setup worked on replicating iridium and depleting rods for plutonium, and 2) I didn't mind letting it run while I was at work for a few days. I eventually found a great cheat for iridium (go into Runic Dungeons, use a Staff of Traveling to carefully warp outside the dungeon, proceed to Ender Quarry out the whole thing), but I think since then they removed iridium from runic dungeon loot and the staff trick might no longer work either.

Thankfully, I believe IE:Skyblock puts the iridium into the crystal wrench recipe, and then the wrench is used to make the controllers. Since you get the wrench back, it's a one-time investment of 64 iridium, rather than requiring a stack per controller. Painful, but less so than IE:E. Wasn't looking forward to that, since I'm on a skyblock server right now.
Yeah, I finally got a third piece of Runic Chalk and was incredibly disappointed to find that all the runic dungeon loot was absolute poo poo. No iridium chunks to speak of. Mostly just unenchanted iron armor and some coal. A diamond once every few rooms. What a total waste.
I turned Channels off in AE2 (just because I never liked them), so I don't have to make Controllers, but making an Energy Acceptor, which I apparently need in its place, requires the wrench. As you said, about the same cost, but one-time only, and no channel threshold.

I don't have a problem getting the resources to start with, it's the waiting around to process uranium to plutonium that bugs me. I might just add a recipe to process Uranium directly to Plutonium, so UU matter isn't totally devalued, but there's a whole lot less waiting. Hell if I can figure out Minetweaker I can even make it some sort of pricey recipe, passing it through Blood Magic or powering it with the Assembly Table or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I finally got a third piece of Runic Chalk and was incredibly disappointed to find that all the runic dungeon loot was absolute poo poo. No iridium chunks to speak of. Mostly just unenchanted iron armor and some coal. A diamond once every few rooms. What a total waste.

Bleh. The quarry trick was great. In addition to loads of iridium, I ended up with shitloads of black lotuses, mana steel, and void metal seeds, probably other stuff. Wonder how extensively they changed the loot table for runic dungeons since I played (I think 2.3.5?).

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

I turned Channels off in AE2 (just because I never liked them), so I don't have to make Controllers, but making an Energy Acceptor, which I apparently need in its place, requires the wrench. As you said, about the same cost, but one-time only, and no channel threshold.

I don't have a problem getting the resources to start with, it's the waiting around to process uranium to plutonium that bugs me. I might just add a recipe to process Uranium directly to Plutonium, so UU matter isn't totally devalued, but there's a whole lot less waiting. Hell if I can figure out Minetweaker I can even make it some sort of pricey recipe, passing it through Blood Magic or powering it with the Assembly Table or something.

Be careful with turning channels off, it introduces some bugginess. It's not really an officially supported mode.

Edit: as in, there are bug reports for stuff caused by not having channels on and the official response is 'Yeah, that just happens, sorry.'

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 12, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Black Pants posted:

Be careful with turning channels off, it introduces some bugginess. It's not really an officially supported mode.

If people want to keep channels on but miss the utility of walls of barrels + storage buses, you can use drawers from Storage Drawers mod, the controller from that links nearby/connected drawers and you can connect a single storage bus to that. It's basically like AE1 storage bus use at that point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's a real shame. I can't stand most of the AE2 changes at all and unlike apparently a lot of AE2 players I have no interest in discrete systems or subystems or channels or any of that.

escalator dropdown posted:

Bleh. The quarry trick was great. In addition to loads of iridium, I ended up with shitloads of black lotuses, mana steel, and void metal seeds, probably other stuff. Wonder how extensively they changed the loot table for runic dungeons since I played (I think 2.3.5?).
Literally none of the things you mentioned show up in runic dungeon chests anymore.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

That's a real shame. I can't stand most of the AE2 changes at all and unlike apparently a lot of AE2 players I have no interest in discrete systems or subystems or channels or any of that.

Literally none of the things you mentioned show up in runic dungeon chests anymore.

Why not?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Does AE2 have a feature like the Void addon to the JABBA barrels? I'm skyblocking and have a series of automatic sieves and I keep getting a bunch of junk that just takes up space. I'd like to just store some of those items on a single memory card and have the system nullify the rest right away so that I can have a small supply if needed without having to plan for continually increasing stockpiles of poo poo I'll never need. As a stopgap, I've been using some of the JABBA barrels with an Export Bus so that the items aren't actually stored in the network itself, but I'd like to eventually migrate everything to AE storage.

I was going to put a filter up against a TE nullifier just to get rid of them (stuff like seeds or bonemeal which I have a metric shitton of), but it would be nice to have it replenish if, for some reason, I need more in the future.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Shipon posted:

Does AE2 have a feature like the Void addon to the JABBA barrels? I'm skyblocking and have a series of automatic sieves and I keep getting a bunch of junk that just takes up space. I'd like to just store some of those items on a single memory card and have the system nullify the rest right away so that I can have a small supply if needed without having to plan for continually increasing stockpiles of poo poo I'll never need. As a stopgap, I've been using some of the JABBA barrels with an Export Bus so that the items aren't actually stored in the network itself, but I'd like to eventually migrate everything to AE storage.

I was going to put a filter up against a TE nullifier just to get rid of them (stuff like seeds or bonemeal which I have a metric shitton of), but it would be nice to have it replenish if, for some reason, I need more in the future.

You can set up a system to do this within AE, but it doesn't have a single-block solution for it. You're better of using storage busses on an external inventory that has that feature.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Shipon posted:

Maybe there's a better way to do it, but if you don't mind using a channel per item you can use a storage bus instead of an export. Then you stick a void upgrade on your JABBA barrel and anytime more of that item enters the network it goes to the barrel and gets voided if you're over capacity.

When setting this up you'll want to export everything currently in the network into the barrel and possibly also set the priority of the storage bus higher than your drive (I usually set my drives to negative numbers).

e: The way I usually set things up is once I have over about 1-2k of an item I move it to the barrel system described above. Anything with less goes in the drives filled with 4k storage.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 12, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Why not the AE2 thing?
Because I use it for convenient, browsable, all-in-one storage and automation, mostly for recipes, and have a lot of interfaces piping out to TE machines, or autocrafter grids, or just keeping other processes fed. It was once very simple and clean and straightforward. Limiting it to a set number of channels bugs me because it's just one more thing I have to work around now.

Why not the Runic Dungeons thing?
Because I guess they wanted to leave that mod in without giving any actual loving reason to ever use it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

senae posted:

The way interfaces work (unless there's been a massive change recently), it will export whatever items to the attached inventory, and then the ME system will trust that eventually it will get the result placed back into the system somewhere. all it really does is export a recipe. If you're using it for, like, making a bunch of smoothstone, you can speed it up by exporting to a chest, and then using 1 set of ducts to round robin them into a bunch of furnaces, and another set to export them back out the the interface (or into a chest with an import bus attached, but that's wasting a channel). You can also export directly to a machine (good for things that don't get done in bulk, or need to be processed right now), then just use an itemduct to move the product back into the interface.

An interface will take any item piped into it and put it back into the system.

Thank you for this great explanation! Let's say I'm coupling an ME Interface block with a redstone furnace, do I need to set an input side for the furnace? To get the finished product, I can't just export it directly to an ME interface but I need at least an import bus or some itemducts right? (pipes seem cheaper).

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Bouchacha posted:

Thank you for this great explanation! Let's say I'm coupling an ME Interface block with a redstone furnace, do I need to set an input side for the furnace? To get the finished product, I can't just export it directly to an ME interface but I need at least an import bus or some itemducts right? (pipes seem cheaper).
Most machines won't pull inputs and push outputs using the same face. It's generally one or the other.

So you can go direct from interface to machine if you put the interface on the machine's input side, but you'll need to pipe the outputs back around to the interface. Vice versa works too as long as the machine can auto-eject to an inventory.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

ImpactVector posted:

Maybe there's a better way to do it, but if you don't mind using a channel per item you can use a storage bus instead of an export. Then you stick a void upgrade on your JABBA barrel and anytime more of that item enters the network it goes to the barrel and gets voided if you're over capacity.

When setting this up you'll want to export everything currently in the network into the barrel and possibly also set the priority of the storage bus higher than your drive (I usually set my drives to negative numbers).

e: The way I usually set things up is once I have over about 1-2k of an item I move it to the barrel system described above. Anything with less goes in the drives filled with 4k storage.

You just need one-channel for the storage sub-network to all of your JABBA barrels (or Deep Storage Units, or Strongboxes, or Storage Drawers, or ...) with modifications hidden from AE (e.g. Voided JABBA barrels). Set the storage bus to this sub-network as highest priority to shift items that fit here, first, else they go to another AE storage.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Haha what the gently caress!? If you just stand on ic2 crops, they can be trampled. Like if you jumped around on farmland. No, this doesn't count as harvesting the plant, either. It's just pop, crop sticks drop as an item and there's dirt under you now.

It's mind-boggling how dumb ic2 crops are. No wonder Agricraft needed to be made.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

lolmer posted:

You just need one-channel for the storage sub-network to all of your JABBA barrels (or Deep Storage Units, or Strongboxes, or Storage Drawers, or ...) with modifications hidden from AE (e.g. Voided JABBA barrels). Set the storage bus to this sub-network as highest priority to shift items that fit here, first, else they go to another AE storage.
Ugh, I didn't know you could nest storage buses like that. That would have made my builds a lot simpler.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

It's mind-boggling how dumb ic2 is
It's come a long way, but compared to modern systems like TE, it's ridiculous how much it's showing its age.

Even Forestry isn't this bad, and Forestry sucks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

re: the whole storage bus/barrel chat, I believe storage drawers have a void upgrade, and you can put a storage bus on a storage drawer controller and it will read the contents of the whole storage drawers network, requiring only one channel.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Or maybe trampling an ic2 crop counts as harvesting it, because apparently you can harvest ic2 crops and get NOTHING. They're almost useless unless you spend a lot of effort increasing their stats.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

what are the ic2 crops? ive never had the pleasure of needing them i guess.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

what are the ic2 crops? ive never had the pleasure of needing them i guess.

are you familiar with agricraft at all

if so then ic2 crops are actually the inspiration for agricraft, they have the same three stats and whatnot but the agricraft implementation is far less punishing and awful (much like all the stuff other mods replaced from ic2)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

lolmer posted:

Wait, what? I haven't used AE since AE1 (until the other day, with Regrowth) and I was kinda caught off-guard by all the channel/bandwidth.etc limits.

So say I have 30 JAbba barrels. In AE1, I would just slap a Storage Bus on each one, and wire them all together, I assumed I basically needed to feed all those into one dense cable (Which handles 32 connections I guess?) and then plug that into an open side of the ME Controller.

Are you saying there's some way to route them to some in-between thing so it just looks like a single inventory/only a single connection on a channel downstream?

Fayk fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 13, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Some mod packs have like a storage barrel controller. Regrowth has it for the storage draws, I have heard of it for JABBA but never seen it.

Effectively its a draw that puts items in all your other draws. So you have a chest feeding to the controller and the controller does the rest.

I still dont know if it needs pipes or tubes. My version in regrowth worked and didnt work both ways.... I just put it down to ghosts.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Some mod packs have like a storage barrel controller. Regrowth has it for the storage draws, I have heard of it for JABBA but never seen it.

Effectively its a draw that puts items in all your other draws. So you have a chest feeding to the controller and the controller does the rest.

I still dont know if it needs pipes or tubes. My version in regrowth worked and didnt work both ways.... I just put it down to ghosts.

Storage drawer controller is compatible with jabba barrels. Also to what other people are asking, you slap a storage bus on a drawer controller and it reads everything connected. There's a limit to how much a single drawer controller can read its like 30 or 40 drawers/barrels or something, and you can put void upgrades in the drawer/barrels to discard excess of things like dirt, cobble, sand, gravel etc.

The void upgrade works this way: when the container is full, it will still accept more things of that type, but it will destroy anything it can't store.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

Storage drawer controller is compatible with jabba barrels. Also to what other people are asking, you slap a storage bus on a drawer controller and it reads everything connected. There's a limit to how much a single drawer controller can read its like 30 or 40 drawers/barrels or something, and you can put void upgrades in the drawer/barrels to discard excess of things like dirt, cobble, sand, gravel etc.

The void upgrade works this way: when the container is full, it will still accept more things of that type, but it will destroy anything it can't store.

Yeah, I mentioned a few posts back you can use Storage Drawers + Controller to look like a single device to AE2. I must not have been clear because a ton of people have repeated things I said since.

Storage Drawer Controller talks to JABBA barrels though? News to me!
edit: Doesn't seem to be the case, at least in regrowth

That said, the thing that was confusing me was whether I was understanding lolmer correctly and you could nest things or something to cut down on channel usage.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 13, 2016

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Fayk posted:

Wait, what? I haven't used AE since AE1 (until the other day, with Regrowth) and I was kinda caught off-guard by all the channel/bandwidth.etc limits.

So say I have 30 JAbba barrels. In AE1, I would just slap a Storage Bus on each one, and wire them all together, I assumed I basically needed to feed all those into one dense cable (Which handles 32 connections I guess?) and then plug that into an open side of the ME Controller.

Are you saying there's some way to route them to some in-between thing so it just looks like a single inventory/only a single connection on a channel downstream?

You can daisy-chain as many sub-networks as you want so that only one channel is consumed from the "parent" network for any number of devices down the chain, making ME Controllers unnecessary if you want to do that much work, or at least reducing the size of required ME Controllers. This works best for storage or self-contained crafting (e.g. auto-refinery) as Patterns/Recipes in the sub-network are /not/ available to the parent, and vice versa.

For the Storage Drawer Controller, this makes the point moot for your initial set-up, but once you expand beyond the capacity of one Storage Drawer Controller, or if you want to add other storage devices (e.g. MineFactory Reloaded's Deep Storage Unit), then a sub-network is what you'll want.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Fayk posted:

Yeah, I mentioned a few posts back you can use Storage Drawers + Controller to look like a single device to AE2. I must not have been clear because a ton of people have repeated things I said since.

Storage Drawer Controller talks to JABBA barrels though? News to me!
edit: Doesn't seem to be the case, at least in regrowth

We are all stupid some of the time, or most of the time.

Odd, maybe regrowth has old versions of storage drawers and jabba barrels? I dunno.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

We are all stupid some of the time, or most of the time.

Odd, maybe regrowth has old versions of storage drawers and jabba barrels? I dunno.

Totally possible. I dunno when the current regrowth is from, but for example, there's a shitton of debug messages in serverlog (~2GB a day or so with current build?) from Enhanced Inventories. Fixed in the new version of that, but it's not in regrowth yet.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody had specific reasons to use Thermal Dynamics retrievers in particular before?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody had specific reasons to use Thermal Dynamics retrievers in particular before?

Yes! While building our ore processing system in BSFR, actually!

We decided to build it in our moonbase, so ME connections were limited. We had one tesseract coming from our digital miner, pointed to a chest connect via itemducts to sets of pulverizers. We used retrievers to specify the inputs for each pulverizer. I can dig up a picture if I'm not describing it well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ptroll posted:

Yes! While building our ore processing system in BSFR, actually!

We decided to build it in our moonbase, so ME connections were limited. We had one tesseract coming from our digital miner, pointed to a chest connect via itemducts to sets of pulverizers. We used retrievers to specify the inputs for each pulverizer. I can dig up a picture if I'm not describing it well.

So you didn't have enough space to use servos on multiple sides of an input chest?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So you didn't have enough space to use servos on multiple sides of an input chest?

In any setup with AE2 i always have a single tessaract in dropping items into a large chest (diamond/crystal) then a single accelarated import bus on the chest for entry into the ME, i find that always works fine.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

To automate Ex Nihilo barrels producing Soul Sand or Dirt. They take a little while to process, so you want to have a bunch of them, and they don't auto-eject. Instead of putting a servo on every barrel it's easier to have just a single retriever (or I guess one for every few dozen barrels if you have that many and it can't keep up)

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've used retrievers in Agrarian Skies 2 to automate the smelting of the gravel/sand/dust ores in a Tinkers smeltery, I needed multiple smelteries to prevent accidental alloys so I used retrievers instead of servos/filters to assign each smelter to a group of metals.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yes.

Servos dish out but are 'blind'. In a large network like i have now, im finding that im needing to put retrievers on my critical things to ensure that fluff doesnt end up in them.

Though i have something somewhere that is adding blocks of wood to the system, and gently caress knows where its coming from. It ends up in my pulverisers and thus stops my sieves if i dont catch it soon enough.

Smacking a retriever on and whitelisting only the item the machine needs means the servos can drop whatever crap they want into the ducts and my critical machines ignore it.

Now, can someone explain to me the levels of generators?

For instance, i had 24 culinary generators. I had a main bank of about 15 of them in one place all hooked up with cable and my energy network was perfect.
I took 8 of them down and replaced them with 1 of the tier 2 generators, and now im choking on not enough power. Even after adding a 2nd tier 2 (so it would be 32 tier 1's) i still cant get power where i need it.

Is it safe to say the tier 2 stuff is crap? i thought it would output like 8 of the same?

(And for automating soul sand i have an auto clicker clicking a barrel with sand, and a tank on top. The i have a hopperhock sucking up the soulsand to a chest that has a servo putting it into my sieve. But this isnt connected to my main network as i just ran out of power lol)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

Yes.

Servos dish out but are 'blind'. In a large network like i have now, im finding that im needing to put retrievers on my critical things to ensure that fluff doesnt end up in them.

Though i have something somewhere that is adding blocks of wood to the system, and gently caress knows where its coming from. It ends up in my pulverisers and thus stops my sieves if i dont catch it soon enough.

Smacking a retriever on and whitelisting only the item the machine needs means the servos can drop whatever crap they want into the ducts and my critical machines ignore it.

Now, can someone explain to me the levels of generators?

For instance, i had 24 culinary generators. I had a main bank of about 15 of them in one place all hooked up with cable and my energy network was perfect.
I took 8 of them down and replaced them with 1 of the tier 2 generators, and now im choking on not enough power. Even after adding a 2nd tier 2 (so it would be 32 tier 1's) i still cant get power where i need it.

Is it safe to say the tier 2 stuff is crap? i thought it would output like 8 of the same?

(And for automating soul sand i have an auto clicker clicking a barrel with sand, and a tank on top. The i have a hopperhock sucking up the soulsand to a chest that has a servo putting it into my sieve. But this isnt connected to my main network as i just ran out of power lol)

It wont be the generators but the cables, the cables can only flow so much Maybe try splitting the generators to between each machine then see

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We had space, but it was more about specifying one pulverizer/furnace combo for just one ore type. So rather than have a servo indiscriminately shooting out iron and copper into wherever it'll fit, copper only goes in one set, iron in the other, etc.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

It wont be the generators but the cables, the cables can only flow so much Maybe try splitting the generators to between each machine then see

You were half right. The cables were running back on themselves and the tier 2 generator was attached to a section of the powergrid that only serviced my food creation machine. Which makes me wonder how it was actually working with the bank set up as it was.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For anyone else playing Infinity Expert: Any tips on Diamonds? I'm mid-late stage -- I've got an Ender Quarry running but I need like hundreds of diamonds at this point. Should I just set it up with speed increments at just above diamond level, over a huge area? That's all I can really think of to accelerate this process. I'm skipping AE in order to hit the Dimension Builder as soon as possible, but diamonds and draconic ore seem like the biggest demands right now. Dragon ore isn't so bad because I know where I can find it in huge supply, but diamonds are kind of hard to rush.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Retrievers also allow you, with higher tiers, to put request limits on the inventory they're attached to, which makes managing autocrafters and the like much easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

For anyone else playing Infinity Expert: Any tips on Diamonds? I'm mid-late stage -- I've got an Ender Quarry running but I need like hundreds of diamonds at this point. Should I just set it up with speed increments at just above diamond level, over a huge area? That's all I can really think of to accelerate this process. I'm skipping AE in order to hit the Dimension Builder as soon as possible, but diamonds and draconic ore seem like the biggest demands right now. Dragon ore isn't so bad because I know where I can find it in huge supply, but diamonds are kind of hard to rush.

im doing skyblock so ive got a few hundred diamonds. no idea of normal though.