Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Anyone have an issue where salmon just ends up smelling weird after being vacuum sealed for a while? I end up buying lots of random raw meat from costco and vacuum sealing them in the freezer for months until I can manage to finish it all.

But for whatever reason, the salmon I buy from Costco almost always has a fishy smell after I take it out of the vacuum bag after I puddle it. After that happened I tried being extremely careful not to contaminate the salmon before I bag it, but no matter what it always smells fishy. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but any other fish like cod/tilapia I do it with doesn't have this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Possibly because it's a fattier fish?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I would try salting the fish for a day before puddling. I've never had a problem with fishy smelling fish but I grew up in the coastal tropics where my mom would buy fish and bring it home still alive and thrashing around in the freezer as it froze to death.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

AnonSpore posted:

Christ I'm dumb. I puddled according to these instructions (5h/133F), took out my meat, got distracted and then somehow went to sleep with it on the counter and found it in the morning, 4 hours later.

If it makes you feel any better, last week I bought $60 worth of meat at Costco, drove home, did my usual evening routine, went to bed, woke up, and upon opening the fridge to look for breakfast realized the meat was conspicuously missing. I somehow skipped the whole "bring the groceries in" step.

The week before that I was halfway home from Costco when I realized I'd forgotten my cart full of stuff at the Costco food court.

You haven't achieved true dumb yet.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 13, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

cyxx posted:

Anyone have an issue where salmon just ends up smelling weird after being vacuum sealed for a while? I end up buying lots of random raw meat from costco and vacuum sealing them in the freezer for months until I can manage to finish it all.

But for whatever reason, the salmon I buy from Costco almost always has a fishy smell after I take it out of the vacuum bag after I puddle it. After that happened I tried being extremely careful not to contaminate the salmon before I bag it, but no matter what it always smells fishy. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but any other fish like cod/tilapia I do it with doesn't have this issue.

Have you cooked salmon without freezing it, and not experienced the fishy smell then?

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Yeah I've cooked it immediately and didn't get the smell. So I just figured I was contaminating it somehow before I vacuum sealed it.

And it's not the good kind of fishy smell either like mackerel, it just smells really off. oh well

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Ugh I wanna get a searzall but its expensive and I don't want to waste money on something not good. Can anyone else recommend it too?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Ugh I wanna get a searzall but its expensive and I don't want to waste money on something not good. Can anyone else recommend it too?

I use mine occasionally but can't really recommend it. It's a neat toy, and there are certain times when it's really helpful, but it's not life changing. I doubt I even use it on a monthly basis.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got my searzall the day it came out and have never used it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

cyxx posted:

Yeah I've cooked it immediately and didn't get the smell. So I just figured I was contaminating it somehow before I vacuum sealed it.

And it's not the good kind of fishy smell either like mackerel, it just smells really off. oh well

From what I've learned recently from listening to Cooking Issues, fats can still go rancid in the freezer. 0°F is apparently still warm enough that there can be some chemical activity in foods, and to truly arrest any and all activity you need a freezer that can go to to -121°F.

After learning that, I checked some two year old tilapia I had in my freezer and yeah, it had gone off.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

From what I've learned recently from listening to Cooking Issues, fats can still go rancid in the freezer. 0°F is apparently still warm enough that there can be some chemical activity in foods, and to truly arrest any and all activity you need a freezer that can go to to -121°F.

That's only the currently known activity. To be 100% sure, throw things into liquid helium.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
brb asking about the best liquid helium dispenser over in the kitchen equipment thread

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ugh a clerk at my local AirGas told me that they'd sell me liquid nitrogen for $5/liter and that I could bring a vacuum insulated coffee pot as long as they could inspect it to make sure it was vented. But then I called again to make sure and I guess they had a discussion at the company and said no, I have to bring a certified liquid nitrogen vessel. That's the difference between a $50 coffee dispenser and a $240 dewar flask.

At any rate, lesson of the day is that if your food has any fat in it, it won't last forever in the freezer. A quick google says 6-9 months for salmon.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 14, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

Ugh a clerk at my local AirGas told me that they'd sell me liquid nitrogen for $5/liter and that I could bring a vacuum insulated coffee pot as long as they could inspect it to make sure it was vented. But then I called again to make sure and I guess they had a discussion at the company and said no, I have to bring a certified liquid nitrogen vessel. That's the difference between a $50 coffee dispenser and a $240 dewar flask.

At any rate, lesson of the day is that if your food has any fat in it, it won't last forever in the freezer. A quick google says 6-9 months for salmon.

Get the flask. Do it. Dewar it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
God damnit, why must the searzall not be that great. I hate cast iron, I hate seasoning it, cleaning it, dealing with it. I am super lazy, its why I love puddling, maybe I'll just get one anyway like a big dummy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The searzall isn't as good as cast iron, buuut
- great for delicate things you don't want smushed by a pan
- great for gooey things you don't want sticking to a pan, like cheese
- great for touchup work if the pan missed a spot
- great for round or other odd shapes that don't get great contact with a pan

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Wookums posted:

Nope, your friend botulism likes it anaerobic.

Sorry, that's what I meant. If the bag is opened when it's taken out of the bath, then it's not an anaerobic environment any longer.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Also having a Searzall is fun.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The Searzall is fun, it can do detail work that standard kitchen tools cannot, but it's certainly not a replacement for any other appliances. I've probably used mine to brûlée turbinado on grapefruit halves more than anything else.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

On the subject of food safety, does meat last longer under refrigeration if you sous vide it?

I kinda assume it would since it's vacuum sealed and then cooked long enough to kill the bacteria, but this seems like one of those cases where it's better not to trust your gut

I've opened up a bag of chicken thighs 8 days post puddle and it smelled and tasted fine, but it'd be nice to have some actual facts.

Epiphyte fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 15, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Epiphyte posted:

On the subject of food safety, does meat last longer under refrigeration if you sous vide it?

I kinda assume it would since it's vacuum sealed and then cooked long enough to kill the bacteria, but this seems like one of those cases where it's better not to trust your gut

I've opened up a bag of chicken thighs 8 days post puddle and it smelled and tasted fine, but it'd be nice to have some actual facts.

I keep running into this as well. i know in my heart of hearts that I've pasteurized the meat and it should be, for all intents and purposes, shelf stable for weeks under refrigeration.
Then my food safety brain kicks in and goes ITS BEEN TEN DAYS! YOU GONNA DIE!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

toplitzin posted:

I keep running into this as well. i know in my heart of hearts that I've pasteurized the meat and it should be, for all intents and purposes, shelf stable for weeks under refrigeration.
Then my food safety brain kicks in and goes ITS BEEN TEN DAYS! YOU GONNA DIE!

Yeah, depending on what exactly your time/temp was, it should be totally safe but I still can't shake the thought of "uh, this has been sitting in the fridge for how long?" Obviously that changes once you pop open the pouch though.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
It also requires quick chilling to be safe otherwise the food will coast through the danger zone again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've kept a turkey breast in the bag for 3 weeks before I ate it. 3-4 weeks is as far as I will go though. And that's with ice bathing as soon as it's finished in the jacuzzi.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, that's what I meant. If the bag is opened when it's taken out of the bath, then it's not an anaerobic environment any longer.

I think a lot of people are confusing getting sick from the toxins with sickness from eating the microorganisms themselves. The toxins already pooped out from warm anaerobic botulism aren't going anywhere when you open the bag: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Cooking_Time_and_Temperature

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've kept a turkey breast in the bag for 3 weeks before I ate it. 3-4 weeks is as far as I will go though. And that's with ice bathing as soon as it's finished in the jacuzzi.

Does this save much time / water? How much time does it take to toss it back in to heat to the desired temperature when you want to eat it?

I'm in California, so I think the use of more water is more what I try to think about.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

Does this save much time / water? How much time does it take to toss it back in to heat to the desired temperature when you want to eat it?

I'm in California, so I think the use of more water is more what I try to think about.

I ate it cold on sandwiches so no additional water/heating necessary.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can generally get things up to temp to sear with hot tap water. It's what I do for eggs and steaks

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Was going to ask if that puts your food back in the danger zone for a bit, but I'm guessing since you're eating it almost immediately after there isn't enough time for much bacteria to get started. Is that right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yep

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I made some eggs with my new device and they were some goddamn WIZARD poo poo. 62.5 degrees C for 45 minutes, dunked in simmering water for 15 seconds to finish setting the white; the yolks were creamy and custardy and perfect, which is just crazy. I also made sous vide meatloaf, which came out tender and amazing despite freestyling every part of it that was not the temp and time. (140 degrees F, 1:30)

My question: does altitude affect puddling at all? I'm in Denver, a mile up, and all my pasta takes a solid 1-2 minutes longer in the water to be correctly cooked, but I'm not versed enough in physics to figure out if lower than boiling temps are also different at higher altitudes.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thermal conductivity is only weakly dependent on pressure. Very.

Below boiling temp, you are seeing no effects on temp of the water. 140F water is 140F irrespective of altitude.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Yeah, I got mine when I lived in Denver and I notice zero difference between puddling up there vs. back at sea level here on the east coast.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The altitude effect on boiling is that you are cooking your pasta at a lower temperature. The physics of it is simply that water vapor starts escaping from liquid water more easily when there is thinner air holding it down. According to Wolfram Alpha, water boils at 202.8 deg F in Denver. Pretty big difference!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I followed Kenji (blessed be his name) on pork chops, and they came out a bit dry--I did them at 140 for an hour and a half and then a 45 second hard sear on each side, but they just didn't come out as juicy as I was hoping. Unfortunately my chops didn't have much fat on them, so that's part of the problem; we bought half a pig, all local & humane & poo poo, but they trimmed way too much fat off the chops. I even put olive oil in the bag to assist but no dice. I still have lots of low-fat chops like this to work with and I'm hoping puddling can make them juicy despite being sadly almost free of fat. I'm thinking I should try 135 next time I puddle some, but my dude thinks I should go for 130. Thoughts?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I sous vide pork chops at 54C before hard searing. 60 is too well done for my taste.

I use like 2" thick niman ranch rib chops.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Nicol Bolas posted:

I followed Kenji (blessed be his name) on pork chops, and they came out a bit dry--I did them at 140 for an hour and a half and then a 45 second hard sear on each side, but they just didn't come out as juicy as I was hoping. Unfortunately my chops didn't have much fat on them, so that's part of the problem; we bought half a pig, all local & humane & poo poo, but they trimmed way too much fat off the chops. I even put olive oil in the bag to assist but no dice. I still have lots of low-fat chops like this to work with and I'm hoping puddling can make them juicy despite being sadly almost free of fat. I'm thinking I should try 135 next time I puddle some, but my dude thinks I should go for 130. Thoughts?

Are you salting the bag? Try not salting beforehand, often times salting in sous vide has the effect of giving the meat a cured texture.

But in general, pig farms in the US have ruined pork chops because they bred the fat out of pigs.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Are you salting the bag? Try not salting beforehand, often times salting in sous vide has the effect of giving the meat a cured texture.

But in general, pig farms in the US have ruined pork chops because they bred the fat out of pigs.

I definitely salted beforehand, so that's good to know--might salt after. (I don't mind a cured texture, though, particularly in pork.) And I swear I've had fatty US pork chops! Just ... not these.

Chemmy posted:

I sous vide pork chops at 54C before hard searing. 60 is too well done for my taste.

I use like 2" thick niman ranch rib chops.

130 it is! I'll report back & see how they do.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Target.com has the Anova Bluetooth for $138 and wifi for $154 (before tax). Use the coupon code KITCHEN for 20% off and TGRDZRHP for $5 off, to get those prices.

Wifi is sold out online but still available for store pickup in some locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nicol Bolas posted:

Fatty chops have very little to do with trimming - you want the marbling inside. I still regularly find these at grocery stores, though I may have to sort through chops to do so.