Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
PVP is a clusterfuck, in the best possible way. I rolled up a knight and got zweihander and threw magic weapon on him, so as soon as I kill the tree and get the red orb I invade and I come in to...

me, a mad spirit
a host, with finger popped
a sunlight warrior, guarding him on a bridge
a second sunlight warrior, dueling a mad spirit
said mad spirit, dueling the second sunlight warrior
a red phantom, who was standing nearby where I spawned in

I didn't bother attacking the red phantom cuz I figure, gently caress it, we'll work together and get the host. We journey to the bonfire and find the scene described above. First thing I do is rush in and finish the sunlight warrior off. The first sunlight warrior makes a dash for the red phantom, and I make a dash for the host. I make it in, knock him off his perch, and manage to land a falling blow, so I'm thinking, poo poo, I'm gonna end this right here. And the second mad spirit instead moves in and begins poking at me with my rapier. I keep going for the host but I realize this nerd'll chip me to death if I ignore him, so I'm forced to acknowledge him and fight him. I manage to land a few hits but he's chugging estus. I'm thinking, like, "Shoulda let him keep fighting that sunlight warrior, poo poo." After I manage to land a few good hits and I acknowledge a Blue Phantom has arrived! notification, he goes full roll warrior on me and I never manage to land another hit and he chips me down. As I'm slain and collapse to the ground, I catch the host dying to the red spirit in the background. It all went better than expected. :unsmith:

Also, people are already getting pretty twinked or just staying underleveled, intentionally. PVPing in the undead settlement and I saw no less than 4 people with the catacombs invis roll ring. Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ShadowMar posted:

i think figured out the problem and solution. you have to wait until they sync up with you. i was experimenting with a friend who summoned me and when i joined his game he nor the enemies had animations and going in the fog door wouldn't let me in. when we waited for the animations to kick in on my side i could always go through the door 100% of the time.

posting this to the next page because i'd like some other people to experiment

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

plape tickler posted:

I just beat Yhorm the Giant and I have no idea where to go next. Help.

edit - looks like it's Pontiff Sulyvahn but I haven't been able to get into the church.

Head back to the mansion that leads to the dungeon, and look for the sewer entrance. If you're finding dung pies and eventually silver knights you're on the right track.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

I will never pass up an opportunity to place these messages. Never. :colbert:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What do you guys think of the world in DS3?

12 hours in and no signs of DkS1-esque looping and intertwined zones. It feels all too linear with the occasional branch that goes off into a dead-end. Don't get me wrong - great game, but it's a long A to B path instead of the tangled world of DS1 and flower design of DS2. It's the least well-made game world of the series in my personal view. The world is a step down from the prequel.

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

12 hours in and no signs of DkS1-esque looping and intertwined zones. It feels all too linear with the occasional branch that goes off into a dead-end. Don't get me wrong - great game, but it's a long A to B path instead of the tangled world of DS1 and flower design of DS2. It's the least well-made game world of the series in my personal view. The world is a step down from the prequel.

Yeah, j'agree. I'm not getting any of the sense of "whoa, so THIS is how tab A connects to slot A" joy that DS1 pumped me full of.

That said, i'm not very far. i'm 18 hours in and just made it to what I presume is the big tree. i guess i'm really slow.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
What's the deal with parrying in this? I can parry no problem in DS1 and Bloodborne but am absolutely hopeless in DS3. I spent a bit of time practicing against the weak enemies at the start and get a partial parry maybe 50% of the time and a proper parry very rarely.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Why is poise such a usless stat in this game? Even with 36 poise I get staggered in one hit from the High Wall spearmen. Not even the knights, just the regular soldiers. Heavy armor in general seems not at all worth it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I like it, it feels more Demon's Souls really with each world being it's own little sandbox.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

the world is much better than ds2 because the levels are actually well-designed and fun to play through.

i mean heide was cool looking but its seriously like 5 minutes long

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a bit linear but there's some branches. At one point I had my choice of three boss fights to do because I had reached a fog gate and went elsewhere to explore.

It means that there's a logical progression of enemy difficulty so the tuning feels tighter. I never had a DS2 moment of "time to go back and slay copse/wharf/etc now that I'm comically overgeared and overleveled"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

CabaretVoltaire posted:

What's the deal with parrying in this? I can parry no problem in DS1 and Bloodborne but am absolutely hopeless in DS3. I spent a bit of time practicing against the weak enemies at the start and get a partial parry maybe 50% of the time and a proper parry very rarely.

are you using a huge shield or a small one? they do have different parry timings. get a small leather shield

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

dark souls 3 probably has the best world design in the series. i've been to every area and all of them were cool aesthetically and mechanically.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

CabaretVoltaire posted:

what are you parrying with

different weapons have different windows, I'll use the DS2 chart as an example since DS3 uses similar windows and DS1 had instant parries.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

dark souls 3 probably has the best world design in the series. i've been to every area and all of them were cool aesthetically and mechanically.

agree

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Parries have a start up time in this and DS2 and what shield/weapon you use to parry makes an enormous difference as to how easy it is and how "natural" the timings are.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

Farron Keep

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

GreyPowerVan posted:

are you using a huge shield or a small one? they do have different parry timings. get a small leather shield

Still using whatever the warrior starts with, I've got a small leather shield tho so I'll try that. cheers pal

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Dezztroy posted:

Farron Keep

is a good zone and much better at accomplishing what the swamp tried in DS1. I genuinely got lost more than once, but I think the zone has enough rhyme to it once you know it that I could sketch out a simple map from memory and not get lost there again.

it helps that poison feels like the weakest it's ever been, to boot.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So the game's pretty loving big. I've just killed Aldrich and got through to the Profane Capital and my main weapon is only +7. Unless it suddenly shoots ahead and drops plot tokens on you in quick succession now?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 14, 2016

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Dezztroy posted:

Farron Keep

is a good zone, yes

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i disliked it but only because i couldnt find the last loving fire to extinguish forever.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Sixty thousand souls later I finally got a cathedral knight chest armor, never got a cathedral knight great sword somehow but I wasn't wanting one anyways.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh my https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UVstPrHp_0

I love fashion souls :allears:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

So the game's pretty loving big. I've just killed Aldrich and got through to the Profane Capital and my main weapon is only +7. Unless it suddenly shoots ahead and drops plot tokens on you in quick succession now?

Weapons only go to +10, so.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Ugh, Aldritch is a boring rear end fight with too much RNG to feel good or bad. It just feels meh.

I'll kill this fucker eventually, but I'm going to enjoy none of it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there a covenant that gets more pvp action than others?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

aas Bandit posted:

That was good, and you should feel good.
Definitely. Bravo for not going for the obvious track too. :golfclap:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Etrips posted:

Is there a covenant that gets more pvp action than others?

Of the automated ones? Right now it's the lateish game Aldrich Faithful, it's like the code and scripts works for them, even in my only been auto-summoned once since the Japanese release ever on all characters by the other auto-summon covenants experience.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Dezztroy posted:

Farron Keep

Farron Keep is a pretty cool area, I really don't mind Poison Swamp areas at all in these games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The interconnectivity is not the be all end all that people make it out to be, and expecting them to put that insane level of effort into each game is only going to disappoint you. It's a very well made world even if it doesn't pretzel itself forever.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Orv posted:

The interconnectivity is not the be all end all that people make it out to be, and expecting them to put that insane level of effort into each game is only going to disappoint you. It's a very well made world even if it doesn't pretzel itself forever.

Honestly to me a far bigger deal always was reaching a vista and being able to see a bunch of weird poo poo and places everywhere, then going there. The interconnectivity, while pretty sweet, ultimately boiled down to shortcuts to alleviate the issue of sparse bonfires and no warping (until later). The "oh I see" experience of looping around often got drowned out by the "where's my loving shortcut already, FROM?! gently caress!" experience. Then again, I wouldn't mind getting that feeling back. The feeling of isolation when you pushed on into the unknown was my favourite part of the first Dark Souls, and has been sorely lacking ever since.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
If farron bugs you wear the brigand or worker sets, they both have high poison resist. And do cathedral first for a poison res ring

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I really should have given my girl a big head. Armour makes her rear end grow about five sizes which makes her look really disproportionate.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hra Mormo posted:

Honestly to me a far bigger deal always was reaching a vista and being able to see a bunch of weird poo poo and places everywhere, then going there. The interconnectivity, while pretty sweet, ultimately boiled down to shortcuts to alleviate the issue of sparse bonfires and no warping (until later). The "oh I see" experience of looping around often got drowned out by the "where's my loving shortcut already, FROM?! gently caress!" experience. Then again, I wouldn't mind getting that feeling back. The feeling of isolation when you pushed on into the unknown was my favourite part of the first Dark Souls, and has been sorely lacking ever since.

There is a vista that you'll reach right at the start of the home stretch that will give you such a boner, or make you one, if necessary.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Minrad posted:

Head back to the mansion that leads to the dungeon, and look for the sewer entrance. If you're finding dung pies and eventually silver knights you're on the right track.

Thanks. Unless there's a cheap gimmick, Pontiff Sulyvahn is going to be my first npc summon. gently caress that guy.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Minrad posted:

is a good zone and much better at accomplishing what the swamp tried in DS1. I genuinely got lost more than once, but I think the zone has enough rhyme to it once you know it that I could sketch out a simple map from memory and not get lost there again.

it helps that poison feels like the weakest it's ever been, to boot.

First glance I didn't like the swamp; coincidentally I didn't visit the Cathedral of the Deep first for it's poison resist gear and I didn't know about the quickstep weapon art. In hindsight, I actually do enjoy exploring around that hellhole and getting a feel for the land. I had to, more than once, go to high ground to see where to go. The watch_dog tower for example, gives you a perfectly clear view on which signal fires you haven't doused yet and you can more or less make a beeline to where you need to go. On the other hand, you need to be aware of the dangers of the swamp. Don't attack the solitary ghrues, don't attack the big fuckers wielding trees. Some things aren't worth dying for.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

plape tickler posted:

Thanks. Unless there's a cheap gimmick, Pontiff Sulyvahn is going to be my first npc summon. gently caress that guy.

Try not to summon NPCs for this fight, seriously. The level of satisfaction you'll get for nailing him is unbeaten! Just watch his attack patterns and learn to prepare for his massive flailing combo - he's very vulnerable during that, especially to counter damage.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Captain Queernabs posted:

Yeah, j'agree. I'm not getting any of the sense of "whoa, so THIS is how tab A connects to slot A" joy that DS1 pumped me full of.

That said, i'm not very far. i'm 18 hours in and just made it to what I presume is the big tree. i guess i'm really slow.

I dunno, it's felt pretty connected so far. I can still see the Highwall of Lothric from the Farron area, as well as what led up towards the Cathedral of the Deep. That big rear end bridge definitely helps orient yourself to where you really are in the world.

Hell I'm also fairly certain the Firelink Shrine is technically physically located near Lothric, as you can clearly see the city from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Did we play a different dark souls? The first dark souls was pretty linear unless you were one of those nerds who read the wiki and picked the master key as your starting gifts. Like, it always struck me as weird that people gave 2 so much poo poo for its map design when in Dark Souls you went to a burning city, took a left from a blacksmith and suddenly were in a cliffside forest. Go into a little cave and bam, you were in a sunken city.