Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sapkowski weighing in on his opinion of the Witcher video games.

Watch the comments section tearing him apart and thinking he hates video games just because he says he has better things to do. What exactly were these people expecting from a guy whose seventy? Its the same epople who get hung up on canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

He seems awesome! I got the books for free (I work at a bookstore) but if I didn't I would have bought them cause the game.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sapkowski weighing in on his opinion of the Witcher video games.

Watch the comments section tearing him apart and thinking he hates video games just because he says he has better things to do. What exactly were these people expecting from a guy whose seventy? Its the same epople who get hung up on canon.

I also bought the books because of the games, so I wouldn't let his opinion change mine either way. I like that even though he does watch movies and does not play any video games he still managed to compliment the game devs several times and disregard the movie as very lovely.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Seems like a real dude, can't fault him for not having played the games.
Most people his age don't even know how to use a computer much less play games on them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Completed Open Sesame! in HOS. For a heist that was supposed to be bloodless that went to hell rather quickly.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

When CDPR was creating the first Witcher they were afraid of pissing off the books' hardcore fans to the point that they decided to use a random Witcher not to step on the canon. Sapkowski then told them to just go ahead and use Geralt and basically gave them the blessing to continue the saga how they pleased. He's really ok and was always fair to the creators. What does it matter if an old dude, who spends most of his day in a library reading historical books, played the newest next generation RPG. Game fans are a bunch of butthurt children and can't even manage to be thankful to a guy who came up with the franchise's universe as if it's something that was just always there and not written from scratch.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 13, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, especially because the Witcher games really aren't user friendly to people unfamiliar with video games, even on Easy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Palpek posted:

Game fans are a bunch of butthurt children and can't even manage to be thankful to a guy who came up with the franchise's universe as if it's something that was just always there and not written from scratch.

So fanfiction writers.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Palpek posted:

When CDPR was creating the first Witcher they were afraid of pissing off the books' hardcore fans to the point that they decided to use a random Witcher not to step on the canon. Sapkowski then told them to just go ahead and use Geralt and basically gave them the blessing to continue the saga how they pleased. He's really ok and was always fair to the creators. What does it matter if an old dude, who spends most of his day in a library reading historical books, played the newest next generation RPG. Game fans are a bunch of butthurt children and can't even manage to be thankful to a guy who came up with the franchise's universe as if it's something that was just always there and not written from scratch.
I've seen a bunch of people who've long believe that he actively hates and disowns the games just because he won't play them and doesn't consider them canon. game fans are loving babies

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I have a weird issue where cutscenes will "pause". I can skip with space and everything and the game runs fine afterwards. It's not laggy or choppy it just... doesn't play. Like someone forgot to press play or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Heats of stone: gah that's not how you use a ladle!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Completed Hearts of Stone. Holy poo poo that was an unnerving finale. But I solved the riddle, and I feel satisfied. Gaunter O'Dimm, you creepy, fascinating bastard.

Then I looked up the other endings. Don't really seem worth it as a deal with the devil should be. EXCEPT for the Ciri ending. Wow, that is some forethought, if you're still level thirty while ignoring the main quest.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
honestly the "good guy" ending to HoS seems really weird and tone deaf compared to the rest of the expansion. I assume they threw it in because, well, gotta have a paragon ending i guess, but siding with O'Dimm is way, way better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

andrew smash posted:

honestly the "good guy" ending to HoS seems really weird and tone deaf compared to the rest of the expansion. I assume they threw it in because, well, gotta have a paragon ending i guess, but siding with O'Dimm is way, way better.

I don't think so. Olgierd reminded me a lot of the themes that surrounded Philip Strenger. A monstrous person that you have every right to hate, but can still feel sympathy for. Because as much as Olgierd deserves what is coming to him, he doesn't deserve O'Dimm. It's Geralt forced to choose "a lesser evil". Olgierd is human evil. O'Dimm is Evil Incarnate.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think so. Olgierd reminded me a lot of the themes that surrounded Philip Strenger. A monstrous person that you have every right to hate, but can still feel sympathy for. Because as much as Olgierd deserves what is coming to him, he doesn't deserve O'Dimm. It's Geralt forced to choose "a lesser evil". Olgierd is human evil. O'Dimm is Evil Incarnate.
Also Olgierd genuinely seems that he won't waste his second chance.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

You know who else genuinely seemed like he wouldn't waste his second chance? That's right, Hitler The guy tied up next to a river and left to the drowners.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Accordion Man posted:

I don't necessarily agree with that, but if he dies, he still gets what he deserves.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

andrew smash posted:

Not at all, I made up my mind to gently caress O'Dimm as hard as I could when the bastard branded my face. Nothing could make me take his side after that. He was also clearly a torturous evil bastard but that's not a deal-breaker, branding me like a cow was.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't necessarily agree with that, but if he dies, he still gets what he deserves.

Deserve to die? Sure. Deserve to have his soul clamed by Literally The Devil? Ehhhh.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ahh, wolves! How do I fight these furry fuckers as Ciri? They are the only enemy that gives me a hard time.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Red Mundus posted:

Ahh, wolves! How do I fight these furry fuckers as Ciri? They are the only enemy that gives me a hard time.

If any enemy gives you a hard time as Ciri then you're just not spamming flash in random directions fast enough. Wolfs? They're only a threat if they corner you, but how can you be cornered when you can literally flash through them as often as you want.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SirSamVimes posted:

Deserve to die? Sure. Deserve to have his soul clamed by Literally The Devil? Ehhhh.

That's what I meant. I absolutely do not think he deserves to go to O'Dimm. But if he's got his soul back, he can still be held accountable for his crimes the old fashioned way.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I tho Olgeird and O'Dimm are actually very similar people, with the difference being one of magnitude.

"Let me tell you a story of a man, worse than most... who delights in the suffering of others" or something along those lines.

They're like twisted reflections of each other in a... mirror

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Olgierd's evil mostly due to the deal he made with O'Dimm in the first place? Turning his heart to stone and accelerating his hedonic adaptation way out of proportion? Maybe Olgierd was an arsehole from the start, I forget.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Bobfly posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Olgierd's evil mostly due to the deal he made with O'Dimm in the first place? Turning his heart to stone and accelerating his hedonic adaptation way out of proportion? Maybe Olgierd was an arsehole from the start, I forget.

He dabbled in banditry and sold out his brother to get what he wanted but he didn't seem to be EVIL.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Palpek posted:

Well, part of the reason he was so easy going with his material was that he is really old school (note how he calls comic books "catalogues"), he thinks that computer games are some kind of variations of tetris or pacman and books is the only medium that can tell a story, so he was like "lol do whatever you want you crazy bastards". I doubt he even wants to look at the game, them being a silly waste of time :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lareine posted:

He dabbled in banditry and sold out his brother to get what he wanted but he didn't seem to be EVIL.

He was an rear end in a top hat and shady as gently caress, but I don't think he was evil pre-Gaunter.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

MMMMMMMMBOY

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
"Well, since it leaked anyway..."

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Megazver posted:

:vince:

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
rad as hell

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Megazver posted:

No, don't drink it Geralt, it's not wine.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Palpek posted:

but so tasty/refreshing

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Spoiler quarantine begins now!

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Palpek posted:

It's Blood AND Wine :grin:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That is gangster as gently caress.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
smokin' fisstech sippin' on blood & wine

laaaid back

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

smokin' fisstech sippin' on blood & wine

laaaid back

I don't think you're supposed to smoke fisstech... Don't you absorb it through your mucuous membranes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
It's weird to me that Sapkowski, or any author, wouldn't be irresistibly curious about what they'd done with his material.

The games sold millions of copies and dozens of highly talented artists spent years bringing his world to life - how can he know that and be like, "whatever, not worth a look"?

Along the same lines, I know Ken Kesey hated how they changed the PoV character in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but when someone's adaptation of your story wins five academy awards, and you still refuse to try watching it... I don't get that.