Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

However, in a more accurate sense, it isn't a bomb at all and you are unconcerned with whether what you are writing is true.

The Godzilla of 1954 had been worshiped as a pagan demon-god for untold centuries before the existence of nuclear weapons.

yeah nobody would ever compare the power of the atomic bomb to the power of the gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Right. So bombs are powerful and god is powerful, therefore people in biblical times worshiped the atomic bomb.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Bunches of scenes of people in blue boiler suits sitting in meeting rooms and having terse yet polite arguments? Thank gently caress we're finally getting back to the classic Godzilla format!

(I'm not even joking)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right. So bombs are powerful and god is powerful, therefore people in biblical times worshiped the atomic bomb.

If i were to be cynical

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bombs are powerful, god is powerful, forces of nature are also powerful.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Godzilla is global warming that's why he takes forever to get here :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Choco1980 posted:

Re: Godzilla 2014, eh, the human plot was dumb dumb dumb, but the monster plot was pretty great.

I find this the case for every Godzilla film, really.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

Seriously, name one for which this is not the case. Rodan's is pretty decent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Apart from the original? Ghidorah the 3 Headed Monster, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Biollante

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wasn't the point of Godzilla 2014 was that he was in fact an apex predator and that is why he went after the Mutoids, or whatever the gently caress they were called.

Davros1 posted:

I liked the human parts in Godzilla Final Wars if only because they were peak anime. I love Godzilla.

My fave godzilla still might be Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. Go back in time, replace the original and create a more hosed up hydra monster. Nope, create a new Godzilla. Oh, you killed Ghidorah, NOPE. Mecha Ghidorah, fuckers.

Also still love how some of the newer Kiryu Mechagodzillas are referred to as mechanized weapons built around the genetic skeleton of the original, and then there's essentially a ghost in the machine moment where it remembers what it was, and goes on a loving spree til the next Godzilla fights it. Batshit amazing idea for a new twist on the original Mecha, which partially why I love Godzilla flicks--much like Mad Max, there's an origin point and then several branching possible stories for how things play out. I loved how poo poo like SMechagodzilla was reimagined.

I liked 2014's movie but didn't really love the Mutoids. I'm really looking forward to either the next American flick bringing in Ghidora and/or Mothra, or Shin Godzilla being some new take on Destroyah by actually morphing this heat-death Godzilla into another horrifying satan monster. I'm assuming Shin is yet another "pure sequel" in that it comes directly after the original story? Or is it an entirely new take?

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
I've kinda felt for a while that Gojira is as much a reflection of the nuclear attacks on Japan as he is the horror Imperial Japan inflicted on East Asia during the early stages of the war. The decision whether or not to use the Oxygen Destroyer mirrors the decision to drop the bomb, though Serizawa has the hindsight of the arms race it sparked and knows the OD will trigger another.

Likewise in 1984, he's a stand-in for uncontrolled growth or growth for it's own sake. Namely, economic growth. In an inversion from the first film, the buildings in downtown Tokyo now dwarf him. Traffic congestion prevents people from evacuating, a homeless man wanders through the rubble acting like nothing's changed, the main character is unscrupulous in his search for a decent scoop, etc... I like to think of it as the Koyaanisqatsi of kaiju movies.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Detective Dog Dick posted:

I've kinda felt for a while that Gojira is as much a reflection of the nuclear attacks on Japan as he is the horror Imperial Japan inflicted on East Asia during the early stages of the war. The decision whether or not to use the Oxygen Destroyer mirrors the decision to drop the bomb, though Serizawa has the hindsight of the arms race it sparked and knows the OD will trigger another.

Likewise in 1984, he's a stand-in for uncontrolled growth or growth for it's own sake. Namely, economic growth. In an inversion from the first film, the buildings in downtown Tokyo now dwarf him. Traffic congestion prevents people from evacuating, a homeless man wanders through the rubble acting like nothing's changed, the main character is unscrupulous in his search for a decent scoop, etc... I like to think of it as the Koyaanisqatsi of kaiju movies.

1984's film is especially fun for me because the nukes that the Soviets/USA launch cause enough EMP to revive Godzilla yet again after they legit knock him out with heartstopper cadmium bizarro missiles. Nuclear power yet again fucks things up even after they used a better method to counter the rampage.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The metaphor is intact in 2014 (or at least interestingly rewritten) because the monsters come from a time when the Earth was much more radioactive than it is now, and they're drawn by the radiation coming from our use of nuclear power. It's still our misuse of nature causing catastrophe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Apart from the original? Ghidorah the 3 Headed Monster, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Biollante

I will grant you Ghidorah, Mothra and Biolante. Biolante's story is especially cool, Mothra's is probably the most unique.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I will grant you Ghidorah, Mothra and Biolante. Biolante's story is especially cool, Mothra's is probably the most unique.

I think part of it is also that traditionally Godzilla movies are much fleeter, so even if there is only 10-15 minutes of monster action, the pacing helps it to never feel logy. Godzilla 2014 is only a hair over two hours, but iirc that still makes it the third longest Godzilla movie after Godzilla Final Wars and Godzilla '98.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
The aliens who turn into Ape-Men when you kill them in Mechagodzilla were badass.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The aliens who turn into Ape-Men when you kill them in Mechagodzilla were badass.

That's such a wonderfully freaky moment when the first one is revealed. G vs MG may be the best installment of the 70s, as artistic as Hedorah is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't know which I prefer, them or the ones who turn into roaches in Godzilla vs. Gigan

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's such a wonderfully freaky moment when the first one is revealed. G vs MG may be the best installment of the 70s, as artistic as Hedorah is.

It's honestly a really lovely movie.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

He doesn't seem very agile at all.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's honestly a really lovely movie.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla are both really dope, I should rewatch those soon.

Anguiras getting the holy hell beaten out of him by Mechagodzilla is still startling, even though taking a beating is kind of Anguiras' thing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope the american films pull in some kind of Gigan if only because he is the most unholy abomination in the films. I loved how he was brought back after so many years for Final Wars as the penultimate challenger before "monster X."

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla are both really dope, I should rewatch those soon.

Anguiras getting the holy hell beaten out of him by Mechagodzilla is still startling, even though taking a beating is kind of Anguiras' thing.

I always think about when Anguirus walks into Gigan's buzzsaw stomach in one of the movies and just squirts gallons of blood from his face. Dude gets hosed up a lot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Godzilla x Mechagodzilla is top 3. Making an entire movie about one of those 1960s MASER Tank drivers is so obvious (in retrospect) that it's a shock it took them like 30 years to do it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Godzilla vs. Gigan has a pretty memorable human plot, I think. Comic book artist uncovers Trojan horse plot by cockroaches from space.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elfgames posted:

Godzilla is not a force of nature Godamnit! he is very explicitly a manmade force! the 2014 movie isn't a godzilla movie (it's a fine film but not a godzilla movie) it's a natural disaster flick where a lizard shaped hurricane comes in and kills some monsters.

Godzilla shows up and causes destruction because the humans messed around too much with the mutos. If it weren't for human actions, none of the monsters in the movie would have even woken up.

When you say force of nature it sounds like you mean act of God. I.e. Something no one can do anything about, and dwarfs humanity. Isn't that exactly what happened in the original?

This sits in the whole bullshit realm of the idea of nature being separate from humans. As if we have no relationship with this thing called nature, we just gently caress with it and sometimes it acts like a god or something. We aren't fuckin separable from "nature", there's just the universe and we are a part of it.

Every Godzilla film is representative of this. Or ok at least a few of them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Liberal Idiot posted:

Godzilla vs. Gigan has a pretty memorable human plot, I think. Comic book artist uncovers Trojan horse plot by cockroaches from space.

That's one of the ones I haven't seen and you just sold me on it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gonna need a modern update on Jet Jaguar tyvm.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
I believe that's also the one where Godzilla and Anguirus talk to each other.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Elfgames posted:

show me the japanese film where godzilla is an "apex predator" instead of the result of a nuclear attack or weapon

It's literally his name. Apex predator and all the other short flowery descriptions Watanabe's character uses throughout the movie are all correct English translations of Gojira,* the most popular and enduring of which is of course King of the Monsters.

*Transliteration of gorilla+whale, in the context of Gojira getting his name, a massive unstoppably strong aquatic life that is all consuming and above all, an apex predator if you will.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just saw the Resurgence trailer. I'm looking forward to the movie, but honestly I prefer the more fun tone the Japanese movies adopted over time. Even a more dramatic 90s one like Destoroyah, that still had a sort of cartoony fun to it at the same time. I love the original Gojira movie, which is of course grim and full of allegory of real life horror.

But, I dunno, right now we just had the American Godzilla movie that is a stone-faced disaster movie. And now it looks like the next Japanese one is another dead serious disaster movie. Unless the trailer is misleading, have there been rumors or set pics of other monsters in this movie or anything?

I can get into another grim monster attack movie, but just personally I love the fun of the genre too, and I'd like to see more of that honestly.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shin Gojira-san will be a bit of a different beast than the Legendary pix movie. If shots of the movie are to be believed than this is going to be a horrifying evolutionary journey wherein Godzilla melts down and keep regenerating. I'm guessing that's why he might still have bony little arms.

Ironically if you are looking for more monsters, I think the next American movie will have Ghidorah and friends in it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MinibarMatchman posted:

Shin Gojira-san will be a bit of a different beast than the Legendary pix movie. If shots of the movie are to be believed than this is going to be a horrifying evolutionary journey wherein Godzilla melts down and keep regenerating. I'm guessing that's why he might still have bony little arms.

Ironically if you are looking for more monsters, I think the next American movie will have Ghidorah and friends in it.

That's true. And for sure this will be different from the American one, I've seen a bunch of Anno's stuff. Though I did see Kaiju Big Battel recently, so maybe I'm looking for a giant sentient rear end-kicking can of soup or something.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Godzillas tail looks like it's going to be as much a character as he is.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SHISHKABOB posted:

Godzillas tail looks like it's going to be as much a character as he is.

He does have a second brain around there, classic second rear end brain. (mentioned in Destoroyah or some 90s movie I think)

Violator
May 15, 2003

It's interesting how the American Godzilla is a good guy but the Japanese Godzilla is a bad guy.

I had only ever seen the really old Godzilla movies growing up, so my entire understanding of him was based on the original movie and all of the goofy stuff in the 70s with Megalon and whatnot. I recently started watching the 90s and 00s movies and was pretty surprised that Godzilla has basically been a bad guy for like the past 20 years. Not only that, but there were a few scenes in the various movies that were downright scary. I can't remember what movie it was, but there was a shot of him standing in the ocean while a girl stood on a dock and they were looking at each other. It only last a few seconds but for some reason it was really chilling.

This new version of Godzilla really reminds me of a cat ready to pounce. He's standing there motionless and his tail is whipping back and forth right before he strikes.

Edit: I was also surprised how many of the roles were reversed. I thought Ghidorah was the ultimate villain, but he was a good guy in some of the newer movies fighting Godzilla.

Violator fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 14, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Violator posted:

It's interesting how the American Godzilla is a good guy but the Japanese Godzilla is a bad guy.

I had only ever seen the really old Godzilla movies growing up, so my entire understanding of him was based on the original movie and all of the goofy stuff in the 70s with Megalon and whatnot. I recently started watching the 90s and 00s movies and was pretty surprised that Godzilla has basically been a bad guy for like the past 20 years. Not only that, but there were a few scenes in the various movies that were downright scary. I can't remember what movie it was, but there was a shot of him standing in the ocean while a girl stood on a dock and they were looking at each other. It only last a few seconds but for some reason it was really chilling.

This new version of Godzilla really reminds me of a cat ready to pounce. He's standing there motionless and his tail is whipping back and forth right before he strikes.

Edit: I was also surprised how many of the roles were reversed. I thought Ghidorah was the ultimate villain, but he was a good guy in some of the newer movies fighting Godzilla.

GMK (2001) is the one where he's a villain with Ghidorah as a good guy etc. Other than that though, Godzilla has not been the villain in most of the movies in the past 20 years. At least he's usually considered the lesser of two evils, and he kicks some other monster's rear end. In Final Wars he kicks a lot of monsters asses.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Well drat, I should have paid closer attention. :( I had them on in the background while working.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When Mechagodzilla rips his jaw off it makes me cringe every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

He does have a second brain around there, classic second rear end brain. (mentioned in Destoroyah or some 90s movie I think)

Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla I think. That one has that subplot about the dude with the weird blood coagulant bullet out for revenge on Godzilla