Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would be much more accepting of reaching for Baby 'Bonis than drafting Ellenson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A 6-10 guy with handles who can shoot is always interesting, but I didn't realize his 35% from 3 is tempered by only taking 14 of them in the regular season.

I'm not too interested in Buddy Hield since Zach LaVine is better right now and also younger.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Dieng the 4 of the future for Minny? If not you gotta try Ellenson or luck out and maybe Bender.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

So they'll probably be somewhere in the 5-6-7 range if they don't move up. Where do you think Sabonis will go?

Late teens or early to mid 20s. If you take a center in the 5-7 range it'd probably be Poeltl

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MourningView posted:

They're drafting way too high to take Sabonis

Famous last words.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ButtWolf posted:

Is Dieng the 4 of the future for Minny? If not you gotta try Ellenson or luck out and maybe Bender.

I don't think Dieng is a 4, when he was on the floor with KAT I think KAT was doing most of the PF work.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ButtWolf posted:

He better not be. He's JAG.

e:

MourningView posted:

Late teens or early to mid 20s. If you take a center in the 5-7 range it'd probably be Poeltl

Some Pels bloggers are thinking that will be the pick for them if he's available.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Deyonta Davis is coming out if you want a very raw lanky shot swatter.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Yes he was. He was a good shooter at UCLA

Yeah sorry, I was thinking of his rookie year.

A lot of mocks still like his touch though. Even if he never manages to extend his range out to the 3, a good midrange shooter ala Bosh/Aldridge/David Lee still helps space the floor

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I could absolutely see Skal moving up very high with some good workouts and combine. His physical attributes are too tempting if he can show something off.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Skal looked a lot better late in the year when Cal stopped keeping him exclusively in the post but he's still several years away from probably being able to contribute. But depending on where you are in the rebuild cycle i'd much rather swing for the fences with him than take one of the upperclassmen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If Brolic is right about Bender, would you rather roll the dice on him or Skal?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ButtWolf posted:

Dieng is decent, but inconsistent. I'd like him more as a backup 4/5 than as a starter. He will have the random game where he fills up the stat sheet. He still needs to get stronger and he's been in the league long enough that he should be there by now, but isn't.

Lockback posted:

A 6-10 guy with handles who can shoot is always interesting, but I didn't realize his 35% from 3 is tempered by only taking 14 of them in the regular season.

I'm not too interested in Buddy Hield since Zach LaVine is better right now and also younger.

Realistically the Wolves have their starters at PG, SG, SF, and C locked up. It would be ideal to find a PF, though assuming that Simmons and Bender are gone, then it becomes a question of whether it makes sense to reach for Ellenson, Labissiere, or Sabonis, trade down, or just take the BPA? If the Wolves took Hield, they would probably view him as a bench player/6th man type. His age is a question, but if they can't get one of the elite prospects, then I could see a case for the Wolves not wanting to get too young. They could also trade down and get more draft picks to sell. :(

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isnt Shabazz kind of that scoring wing from the bench role though? Id think they gotta go for a pf or backup pg if Dunn is available. Not sold on Jones.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

If Brolic is right about Bender, would you rather roll the dice on him or Skal?

Brolic seems less high on him now but consensus seems to be Bender and I haven't seen him play outside of highlights so I'd probably go with that I guess.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ButtWolf posted:

Isnt Shabazz kind of that scoring wing from the bench role though? Id think they gotta go for a pf or backup pg if Dunn is available. Not sold on Jones.

If Shabazz can become more consistent, then he would be a nice scorer off of the bench, but he's more of a SF and they could still use more shooters than just him. Granted, the Wolves production drops off when Rubio is off the court, so a better backup PG would help their reserves out a lot. I'm not sold on Jones yet either. He's still pretty raw and started to contribute towards the end of the season, but certainly has a ton to prove. I think the Wolves may opt to sign a veteran backup PG, since they will have plenty of cap room, but you could make the case for drafting another PG. It would be ideal to find a PF, just not sure if there will be one worth taking unless they luck out in the lottery. I've also wondered if it makes sense to draft a center and play Towns at 4, but I'd rather not do that since I like having his athleticism and range at center.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it really just depends on where they pick. Id say bpa between pg, sg, and pfs. They can use pretty much anything, if just to bolster the bench. Im excited for this team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ButtWolf posted:

Yeah it really just depends on where they pick. Id say bpa between pg, sg, and pfs. They can use pretty much anything, if just to bolster the bench. Im excited for this team.

Actually, a SF who can shoot and handle the ball a bit is probably better than a SG. Wiggins is probably better suited at the 2, at least right now. I dunno if LaVine is really that much better as a starter or not though. A PF who can shoot is probably the best fit right now. We just need people who can shoot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ingram cannot handle the ball a bit, though.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

people have made ingram into some chimera of whatever they want him to be, because they don't want to reward simmons' losing season

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

It's sick when you remind people that Ben Simmons scored 20 points a game on 60% true shooting with 12 rebounds and 5 assists on a terrible team

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

It's sick when you remind people that Ben Simmons scored 20 points a game on 60% true shooting with 12 rebounds and 5 assists on a terrible team

But he can't shoot and is a loser!!!!!!11!!!11

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Givony like 'taking a stand on this' makes me really respect him a lot less. Since Draftexpress is so influential among people who don't really know what they're talking about (and a lot of people who do), he's really soured the narrative on Simmons. He makes Cowherd seem like the rational one in the interview on this page.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ben-Simmons-61928/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Ingram cannot handle the ball a bit, though.

Ingram is the best fit for them, but not a perfect one. This was more in response to saying what the needs are, which is more of a SF who can do a bunch of stuff rather than a SG.

And I am not making GBS threads on Simmons, I think he's a great prospect, it's just that the Wolves have a really obvious flaw shooting the ball and it's the year 2016. If the Wolves get #2 or #3 and Simmons is there, they should take him.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
1. ESPN and other media outlets present Simmons as the guaranteed #1 overall pick, a future superstar
2. Some fans see this representation and consider themselves smart for "knowing" that Simmons is the guaranteed #1 overall pick, a future superstar
3. Simmons plays and can't shoot a lick, it turns out that media personalities like Michael Wilbon, Jay Bilas, whomever, saying with a smug look in November that a prospect is A+ can't miss, they may not have done extensive research to see if that guy can, idk, shoot. Simmons is downgraded to an A/A- prospect :(
4. Saltiness when the would-be #1 overall pick may plummet to #2 overall pick

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Simmons would literally be amazing on the Wolves. We're obsessed with outside shooting right now because the Warriors are winning the title with two of the greatest ten shooters in NBA history, but there will be other paths. With Simmons and Rubio, you'd have two of the top 5 feel guys at their position (Simmons comes into the NBA and slots in behind Lebron, Draymond, and Blake as the best PF passer in the NBA) and Simmons makes things so much easier for his teammates.

There's a knock on Simmons that he needs the ball in his hands to be effective or whatever, and I guess that's true, but he was an unbelievable passer out of the post in college and was fantastic in transition. When I see him, I see a skinnier, weaker, taller, and much more skilled version of Draymond Green when he came out of the draft. The way that he moves his feet on defense and offense and is constantly pressuring the defense with the ball in his hands makes up for a lack of elite spacing imo. Wolves would be lucky to have him.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 13, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

But he can't shoot and is a loser!!!!!!11!!!11
I literally saw someone on ESPN a week ago argue the fact that Simmons chose a "small" school like LSU over Kentucky as reason not to pick him #1 because something something he can't handle the spotlight.

These loving jackasses would have poo poo their pants thirty years ago when high draft picks and All-Americans would sometimes come out of places like Creighton and Bradley and Miami of Ohio.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 13, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Givony like 'taking a stand on this' makes me really respect him a lot less. Since Draftexpress is so influential among people who don't really know what they're talking about (and a lot of people who do), he's really soured the narrative on Simmons. He makes Cowherd seem like the rational one in the interview on this page.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ben-Simmons-61928/

drat, when Cowherd is the voice of reason, that's scary.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Crazy Ted posted:

I literally saw someone on ESPN a week argue the fact that Simmons chose a "small" school like LSU over Kentucky as reason not to pick him #1 because something something he can't handle the spotlight.

These loving jackasses would have poo poo their pants thirty years ago when high draft picks and All-Americans would sometimes come out of places like Creighton and Bradley and Miami of Ohio.

If you go into your bathroom, turn the lights off, look into the mirror and say "He plays the game the right way" thirteen times Jonathan Givony appears and gives you a draft profile rife with dog whistle racism

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Givony is great at pulling together draft kit and highlight remixes that point out strengths and weaknesses. The second here starts editorializing or projecting he immediately turns to poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People are definitely unfair to Simmons on a lot to stuff but being completely unable and unwilling to shoot anything that isn't right at the rim is a genuine concern, especially if he's going to a team that already has iffy spacing. He wasn't that great facing up in the half court either although some of that was the team he was on. He'll be at least pretty good because of the rebounding and passing but it's fair to wonder if he can score the way you want a number one pick to score.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 14, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

How will the NBA determine draft order/lottery odds for the Denver, Milwaukee, Sacramento tie? Coin flip?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hand Knit posted:

How will the NBA determine draft order/lottery odds for the Denver, Milwaukee, Sacramento tie? Coin flip?

From Sam Vecenie: https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/720600743540076544

e: whoops, credited the wrong author

Kibner fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 14, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thanks. This makes it sound like the Toronto/Denver/NYK pick swap happens now. I thought that didn't happen until after the lottery.

e: Right on cue, Ford publishes this. So yeah, probably 8-10 for Toronto, with something like a 1% chance of picking in the top 3.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 14, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings have a very small chance of dropping out of the top 10.

After the lotto balls are drawn, the order of Sacramento, Milwaukee, and Denver is done by coin flip

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Hand Knit posted:

Thanks. This makes it sound like the Toronto/Denver/NYK pick swap happens now. I thought that didn't happen until after the lottery.

e: Right on cue, Ford publishes this. So yeah, probably 8-10 for Toronto, with something like a 1% chance of picking in the top 3.

Can't see this because I don't have Insider - my understanding is that pick swaps will happen after the lottery, so the only way that the Raps end up with a top 3 pick is if BOTH the Knicks pick and the Nuggets get drawn in the lottery. Is that right?

So I guess the Raptors could theoretically end up with 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13 based on the whims of a bunch of ping pong balls and quarters. (I think?)

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 14, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Gobias Ind. posted:

Can't see this because I don't have Insider - my understanding is that pick swaps will happen after the lottery, so the only way that the Raps end up with a top 3 pick is if BOTH the Knicks pick and the Nuggets get drawn in the lottery. Is that right?

So I guess the Raptors could theoretically end up with 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13 based on the whims of a bunch of ping pong balls and quarters. (I think?)

Yeah. So the NYK pick is 15% to make top 3, the Denver pick is 6.9% to hit top 3, and both of those have to 'hit' for Toronto to pick 2nd or 3rd.

e: I think Toronto can't pick 7th, since the NYK pick is currently in the 7th slot and they would only get that if the Denver pick moved up, which would push the NYK pick back to 8th.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah. So the NYK pick is 15% to make top 3, the Denver pick is 6.9% to hit top 3, and both of those have to 'hit' for Toronto to pick 2nd or 3rd.

e: I think Toronto can't pick 7th, since the NYK pick is currently in the 7th slot and they would only get that if the Denver pick moved up, which would push the NYK pick back to 8th.

Makes sense.

Yeah good catch; I had the Nuggets pick moving up but failed to account for the fact that the Knicks would then move down a slot.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thon Maker cleared for the draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's in the first round right.

• Locked thread