Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be president
Ron Paul
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

irl the Republican Party has been the party of yankee businessmen since its inception. The opposition to the New Deal wasn't a historical accident, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

akulanization posted:

This is so TRUE. We live in a land of TAKERS. Instead of giving our wealth to those subhuman nig coo urban youths, we need to keep it where it will do the most good. In the hands of RESPONSIBLE CONSERVATIVES, you know, the people whose ideas and work ethic made the money in the first place.

And while I'm here I need to complain about the decay of morality in this country, by treating the faggots as a protected class instead of the filth that they are the have been able to spread out of control. I was in the capitol bathroom today, and I solicited or participated in no less than 5 horrible immoral sex acts in a twelve hour period. There was nothing I could do, if I hadn't gone cooperated the PC police would have put me in a FEMA camp for "sensitivity training" by which they mean brainwashing for the GAY AGENDA. Afterwards I went into the women's room and claimed that I was transgendered very loudly if anyone tried to remove me, I have the pictures to prove it. The state of our once great nation under the latest Ape in Chief brings tears to my eyes my friends.

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IR LIBRULS THIS IS A NATION UNDEEEEEEEEEEER GOOOOOD

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

InterFaced posted:

hail satan

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Applewhite posted:

I don't think he's an idiot.

:sad:

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Dead Precedents posted:

:smug: Who's racist now?

Assuming you're speaking to a Southerner, the correct question is to ask them why Republican president Lincoln hated the South so much he ordered Sherman to destroy as much of it as he could in the war of northern agression.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Republicans were pretty much always considered the conservative party and Democrats the Liberal Party. But back in the 1800s Liberal and Conservative meant totally different things. Andrew Jackson was considered an ultra-left liberal even though he's pretty much the 1800s equivalent of Donald Trump. Thomas Jefferson, also considered a radical liberal, is like a 1700s version of Ron Paul.

It's hard to imagine early Republicans like Abraham Lincoln and especially radical Republicans like Thaddeus Stevens as conservatives, but most of them were former Whigs (the previous conservative party), and many Democrats felt Republicans, like the Whigs, largely represented wealthy northern industrial interests. Back then conservatism was still associated with big government and the monarchy, and many Republicans (who were the progressives of the 1800s) were very much in favor of expanding government power while Democrats were still mostly classically liberal, opposed to big federal government, and more in favor of local government and states rights.

So it's the switch in the definition of the words "conservative" and "liberal" that has more to do with the party realignment during the progressive era of the 1890s-early 1900s (when the Democrat Party started to become more populist and started to replace the Republicans as the more progressive party). The realignment didn't complete, however, until 1968 with Nixon's infamous Southern Strategy.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 14, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

l. Back then Conservatism was still associated with big government and the monarchy, and many Republicans (who were the progressives of the 1800s) were very much in favor of expanding government power.

So it's the switch in the definition of the words "conservative" and "liberal" that has more to do with the party realignment during the progressive era of the 1890s-early 1900s (when the Democrat Party started to become more populist and started to replace the Republicans as the more progressive party). The realignment didn't complete, however, until 1968 with Nixon's infamous Southern Strategy.

If you go back that far you have to be explicit about which government they wanted power for. States rights was more than just a dog whistle at that point and the economic incentives for the north and south were set up very differently. So when northerners wanted federal roads and canals for instance, southerners wanted no part in it since their elites lives mostly on and around coastal waterways and didn't need them.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh Crowder you card

i dont even understand??????

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

flerp posted:

i dont even understand??????

Its ironic because the iceberg on the bottom gets bigger

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Its ironic because the iceberg on the bottom gets bigger

JUST LIKE THIS DICK!

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
*a million memes about PC thought police and also confederate pride*

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Ron Jeremy posted:

If you go back that far you have to be explicit about which government they wanted power for. States rights was more than just a dog whistle at that point and the economic incentives for the north and south were set up very differently. So when northerners wanted federal roads and canals for instance, southerners wanted no part in it since their elites lives mostly on and around coastal waterways and didn't need them.

It's a complicated issue and one that has always been in dispute due to its political nature. I find it interesting, particularly today, because I think we're in the midst of another realignment and things may be going back to the old dichotomy of the 1800s. I actually wrote an article about it last year.

http://drakus79.tumblr.com/post/127448197384/progressivism-vs-liberalism

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Thinks that "bad guys" is a perfectly acceptable term for a fully grown adult to use.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

life if you support our troops and not illigals! *votes to cut tax funding VA benefits*

killer crane fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 14, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Gianthogweed posted:

It's a complicated issue and one that has always been in dispute due to its political nature. I find it interesting, particularly today, because I think we're in the midst of another realignment and things may be going back to the old dichotomy of the 1800s. I actually wrote an article about it last year.

http://drakus79.tumblr.com/post/127448197384/progressivism-vs-liberalism

Ahh yes, tumblr, truly a bastion of well informed and intelligent users and content. Tell me, what are your pronouns today?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

life if you support our troops and not illigals! *votes to cut tax funding VA benefits*

If they were any good at their jobs they wouldnt have been wounded. Now instead of firing them you want to give them free healthcare?

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
i bet you can't even take the whole constitution up your rear end, pansy liberal!!!!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The second amendment protects all the other amendments. Weekely shooting sprees are the price of freedom.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
My entire family unfriended me on here and irl cuz I support Trump and they're not REAL conservatives for voting for Cruz

----or----

My entire family unfriended me on here and irl cuz I support Cruz and they're not REAL conservatives for voting for Trump

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Applewhite posted:

The Republicans love to point out that the Democrats used to be racists, but they always leave out the part where all the racist Democrats left to join the Republican party and took it over.

Did you know that percentage wise, more Republicans voted for the Voting Rights Act than Democrats? :smug:

Why, no I actually don't support the Voting Rights Act. Why do you ask? :confused:

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Last Buffalo posted:

I love to kill time reading Steven Crowder's website and listening to his podcast. If you don't know, he was a former child actor and now a conservative "comedian." He has the recognizable chip on his shoulder of kids raised in the entertainment world who didn't make it, so he has a meltdown every time he's accused of not being funny or a good actor. This, combined with a crazy conservative victim complex is that he's always ping-ponging between aggressively shilling for things and condemning them as RINO fronts. He also has a very needling personality, and has managed to burn bridges with fox news and a lot of his fellow alt-conservative blowhards like Gavin McInnes. He also has a weird hateful obsession with Lena Dunham whose body he always seems to need to describe when she comes up on his podcast.

He's a fun trainwreck to watch, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't end up murder-suiciding himself by the end of this election cycle.

Enjoy some of his funny riffings on the black and the muslims:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSc-VxL_eWo
he also has a fixation issue with trans people, in a real "doth protest too much" kinda way

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

My entire family unfriended me on here and irl cuz I support Trump and they're not REAL conservatives for voting for Cruz

----or----

My entire family unfriended me on here and irl cuz I support Cruz and they're not REAL conservatives for voting for Trump

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Applewhite stop posting liberal bullshit and grow some balls

the only thing liberals ever did for rape victims is be more lenient on the rapists by taking down mandatory minimums and allowing trans predators into girls bathrooms

Meanwhile Smith and Wesson puts hot lead between a rapist and a woman who refuses to be a victim

Applewhite you sick gently caress kill yourself

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
*week before Martin Luther King, Jr Day"
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR WOULD BE A REPUBLICAN TODAY!
OWNED LIBERALS MLK IS ONE OF US
*week after Martin Luther King, Jr Day*
MLK Jr? Glad we shot him.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A liberal and a conservative were walking down the street together when they saw a thug in a hooded sweatshirt coming toward them from the opposite direction,

The conservative wanted to cross to the other side of the street but the liberal said "profiling is wrong, we should give this urban youth the benefit of the doubt."

Sure enough no sooner did they get within arm's reach of the thug than he pulled a knife on the pair and demanded they give him their wallets. The liberal pissed his pants and started to cry before handing over his wallet, but the conservative stood his ground, pulled out his concealed carry pistol and shot the mugger dead on the spot.

"How could you!" cried the ungrateful liberal "don't know know that peace is the answer?"

"I agree, peace is the answer," said the conservative "and thanks to my gun we have it."

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Applewhite posted:

A liberal and a conservative were walking down the street together when they saw a thug in a hooded sweatshirt coming toward them from the opposite direction,

The conservative wanted to cross to the other side of the street but the liberal said "profiling is wrong, we should give this urban youth the benefit of the doubt."

Sure enough no sooner did they get within arm's reach of the thug than he pulled a knife on the pair and demanded they give him their wallets. The liberal pissed his pants and started to cry before handing over his wallet, but the conservative stood his ground, pulled out his concealed carry pistol and shot the mugger dead on the spot.

"How could you!" cried the ungrateful liberal "don't know know that peace is the answer?"

"I agree, peace is the answer," said the conservative "and thanks to my gun we have it."

This is pretty good but could you somehow work a child effortlessly owning a dumb lib somewhere into there

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Applewhite posted:

*pic of superimposed Ronald Regan sheding a single tear of joy over a sparkly US flag wrapped around a cross*

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A pen and an inkwell were arguing over who was more important.

"Without me," said the pen, who was a liberal "the writer could not write his beautiful poems that bring joy to the whole world."

The inkwell, who was a conservative, just shook his head and smiled knowingly "don't you see," he said, "without me, you'd have no ink to spend on those beautiful poems?" :smug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Once upon a time there was a conservative fox who was hungry and saw a bunch of grapes on a high branch. He tried with all his might to reach the grapes, but after hours of effort came to nothing, he realized the grapes were liberals and he didn't want them any more.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Is there any policy in the military about how many times an officer can post memes that allude to a desire to violently overthrow the president before they get, I dunno, a note in their personal file. I have a FB friend who's a Marine LT. and that's like his bread and butter. Well that, and North Carolina bathrooms.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The quick reactionary fox jumped over the lazy dog

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
i voted straight Republican ticket and now Obama has cut my healthcare, my unemployment and the public transportation I used to get to job interviews

that motherfucker

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gianthogweed posted:

Republicans were pretty much always considered the conservative party and Democrats the Liberal Party. But back in the 1800s Liberal and Conservative meant totally different things. Andrew Jackson was considered an ultra-left liberal even though he's pretty much the 1800s equivalent of Donald Trump. Thomas Jefferson, also considered a radical liberal, is like a 1700s version of Ron Paul.

It's hard to imagine early Republicans like Abraham Lincoln and especially radical Republicans like Thaddeus Stevens as conservatives, but most of them were former Whigs (the previous conservative party), and many Democrats felt Republicans, like the Whigs, largely represented wealthy northern industrial interests. Back then conservatism was still associated with big government and the monarchy, and many Republicans (who were the progressives of the 1800s) were very much in favor of expanding government power while Democrats were still mostly classically liberal, opposed to big federal government, and more in favor of local government and states rights.

Yes. Correct. Now get back in character.

Man, Obummer is trying to make gay queer trans marriage mandatory and we need to take America back from those faggots.

Good thing I'm armed for when the Gay Marriage Police Death Panel come for me! Didn't need any government assistance to buy these guns!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yes. Correct. Now get back in character.

Man, Obummer is trying to make gay queer trans marriage mandatory and we need to take America back from those faggots.

Good thing I'm armed for when the Gay Marriage Police Death Panel come for me! Didn't need any government assistance to buy these guns!

Yowza, this here is a bad post.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

satanic splash-back posted:

Yowza, this here is a bad post.

Turn in your Conservative Membership Card (your NRA card, obviously) on your way out, pard.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I thought this was the conservative membership card....

[img]//actionagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Bamn-3-Page-21.jpg[img]

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Seems familiar...

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

if you like free healthcare so much why don't you pay for it yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
TANSTAAFHC

• Locked thread