Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Paramemetic posted:

Yes I believe CIG would waste both time and money trolling these forums as shills because that is the kind of thing that an insane person who writes emails about being the best saleswoman since she was a little girl would authorize and personally oversee

I 100% believe that this is a thing that CIG would do because CIG is an incompetent company that is very very vain

This is a company that invented a 10 minute time out system for bad guys in their pre-alpha and tied it to the system clock and introduced a new pre-pre-pre-alpha private test mode for knobgobblers only because of dancing cat videos I mean they are capable of any stupid thing at this point

Fair point, but I don't think it was sanctioned by CiG management. If anyone posts here as a shill, they do so on their own accord.

To the pre-alpha point: who's to say that other companies don't have a private test group while alpha is also ongoing? Someone on reddit said something recently:

If there are 24 users per 2 cores on a server, and they want to test max users on a server, they'd need 192 users to test a 16-core server. It's a lot easier to just target and receive feedback from that small, closed group, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

Bugger, that's what I get for googling toy story spike and seeing that kid and going, yup, ok

Truthfully, I only remember it because of Debian Linux. They name releases after Toy Story characters. The bleeding edge "unstable" release is always Sid.

:shrug:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Beet Wagon posted:

Scully, after everything you've seen, everything that's happened to you, how can you still not believe?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TTerrible posted:

Why did you remove your cats? Non-puppetmaster reason.

I said it before: someone was asking about them after I was called a shill. I stirred the pot by "scrubbing" my first post - wanted to see who would be the first to jump.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

orcinus posted:

If you need to write that down to remember the person is a poo poo person, maybe you aren't bothered by it enough to remember?

OK, now I'm going to do something that I never do and is the sort of thing that would get a direct quote on my notes, I'm gonna pull "rank" lol.

You've been posting here for 2 months, I've been posting here for 11+ years. Do you think that 5 years from now I will remember Wanker62534 once said he wanted all refugees to drown because muslim children are just terrorists in the larval stage? No one can keep all of this poo poo in their mind but that person is still a poo poo person and I want to keep that in mind whenever I read something he wrote.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

Do you guys honestly believe CiG would waste time trolling theses forums as shills?

I think CIG has done a perfect job of demonstrating just how good they are at wasting time.

TTerrible posted:

I still can't get my head around the disconnect that Elite Dangerous started development as soon as the previous Elite game dropped but SC didn't start the second WC4 dropped.

By their logic Star Citizen should start in 1997, since that's when Chris first began work on Freelancer which was supposed to be what Chris now envisions for SC.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Is this how Ben's wife feeds him vegetables?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

But, but the design documents, they, they were supposed to guide me :qq:

Design documents are for leavers. Coffee is only for coders!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Once again, Melkor is right

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think CIG has done a perfect job of demonstrating just how good they are at wasting time.

By their logic Star Citizen should start in 1997, since that's when Chris first began work on Freelancer which was supposed to be what Chris now envisions for SC.

Your logic is infallible, Beer.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ManofManyAliases posted:

Fair point, but I don't think it was sanctioned by CiG management. If anyone posts here as a shill, they do so on their own accord.

To the pre-alpha point: who's to say that other companies don't have a private test group while alpha is also ongoing? Someone on reddit said something recently:

If there are 24 users per 2 cores on a server, and they want to test max users on a server, they'd need 192 users to test a 16-core server. It's a lot easier to just target and receive feedback from that small, closed group, no?

This logic is loving torturous from a programming pov.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I said it before: someone was asking about them after I was called a shill. I stirred the pot by "scrubbing" my first post - wanted to see who would be the first to jump.

:argh: I said non-puppetmaster :argh:

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

ManofManyAliases posted:

Do you guys honestly believe CiG would waste time trolling theses forums as shills?

No, of course not. But that also doesn't mean I don't find you smug and unlikeable. You don't have to be a plant for that. Hell, I called Derek a conspiracy theorist the first time he suggested.

Seriously, you echo chamber guys--I am almost positive most people are joking!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AlmightyPants posted:

Hey Derek, off topic, but I happened to get a couple of McLaren test drives in the past couple of years (as well as going to the pre-reveal of the 570 at the New York Auto Show). If you haven't had the chance, get a test drive in the 650S. It is absolutely the best car I have ever driven. Not only is it hysterically fast, but it's comfortable as well. And that suspension is something else.

I drove the 570 a few months ago. Not as fast as the 650. The sportier seats were really tight. It has much more turbo lag than the 650, but once you hear the whoosh you're going to break the speed limit shortly thereafter. I guess the thing that really got me was that it's actually livable (barring the seats). Much smaller sills make getting in and out a breeze. And the visibility is something else. It's easier to drive, easier to have fun with and easier to live with.

I haven't driven an Aston yet, but there were several in the dealership and while the McLaren isn't as outwardly luxurious, it seems like the far better made product.

Although I would be curious to know if McLaren actually upped the framerate on the rearview camera - the quality was poor and if it was showing 30 fps I'd honestly be shocked.

I haven't driven the 650, but I have driven the 570. My biggest disappointment - and why I may just get the Vantage S over the 540C, is because McLaren says it won't release in the US after all; though some dealers will be able to special order it - at a premium. So anyone who wanted a 540C, has to pay more and get the 570 instead. :( A friend of mine owns a 570GT, but I prefer the 540C over the 570S because the upgrade and price hike don't do anything for me.

I tend to agree that the McLaren is a better quality than the Aston Martin; but it all depends on several factors really.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 14, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

Most other companies do have a private test group while an alpha is ongoing. They are paid QA staff. Because if you are doing work like playing a pre-alpha to test and ID bugs you should be paid for that work.

This is yet another one of these examples of ways in which CIG is backwards and doing things wrongly. You cannot get good test feedback from people invested in a project (literally) who are volunteers who have to necessarily believe that the game is already the best ever in order to have the privilege of being an unpaid QA intern working from home.

Evocati should totally exist - it should be paid professional on-location staff with console access to identify bugs and see what scripts are running when those bugs occur and then quickly work with the dev team employing agile methodologies to correct those bugs when feasible and to provide steady constant feedback during refactoring to ensure other poo poo isn't breaking.

I don't understand why this even needs discussed I mean seriously?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TTerrible posted:

This logic is loving torturous from a programming pov.

:argh: I said non-puppetmaster :argh:

Yeah, perhaps it is. But if they're doing it to test a specific mechanic without much information leaking (read: SQ42 level), 192 NDAs are a lot easier to track than 2,000 (and even then, someone would still find a way to leak info).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Reddit's reaction to babby's first mining ship is decidedly meh

Will give them something to melt their non-scouts for I guess, though I don't see the allure of a one-man mining ship that won't be available at launch

Seriously, I want all those fuckers to buy a ship for a non-existent game mechanic.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Moogle posted:

You're somewhere between 'humid summer taint' and 'tinned Surströmming'.

My favouritest quote ever was Leo Kottke's description of his own voice:
"My croak sounded like a geese fart on a muggy day."

One day i want to grow up to be a geese fart on a muggy day.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Design documents are for leavers. Coffee is only for coders!

I am number one on the backer board. Give me my Idris.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Paramemetic posted:

Most other companies do have a private test group while an alpha is ongoing. They are paid QA staff. Because if you are doing work like playing a pre-alpha to test and ID bugs you should be paid for that work.

This is yet another one of these examples of ways in which CIG is backwards and doing things wrongly. You cannot get good test feedback from people invested in a project (literally) who are volunteers who have to necessarily believe that the game is already the best ever in order to have the privilege of being an unpaid QA intern working from home.

Evocati should totally exist - it should be paid professional on-location staff with console access to identify bugs and see what scripts are running when those bugs occur and then quickly work with the dev team employing agile methodologies to correct those bugs when feasible and to provide steady constant feedback during refactoring to ensure other poo poo isn't breaking.

I don't understand why this even needs discussed I mean seriously?

With 300 or so employees, how are you going to get almost 2/3rd of them to stress-test to that capacity without interrupting the flow of work (insert joke about "what kind of work - they're doing nothing right now" here).

Edit: I'm not a game developer or claim to have that kind of knowledge, so wtf do I know . . .

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Yes I believe CIG would waste both time and money trolling these forums as shills because that is the kind of thing that an insane person who writes emails about being the best saleswoman since she was a little girl would authorize and personally oversee

I 100% believe that this is a thing that CIG would do because CIG is an incompetent company that is very very vain

This is a company that invented a 10 minute time out system for bad guys in their pre-alpha and tied it to the system clock and introduced a new pre-pre-pre-alpha private test mode for knobgobblers only because of dancing cat videos I mean they are capable of any stupid thing at this point

This calls for a new Razor, the CIG razor or croberts razor, it always defaults to the dumbest, most wasteful option.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

They also changed the cockpit on one of their ships after it was mocked itt and edited the video of Sandi dropping donuts in front of the obese dieters after that was called out itt. And 8ace said they ceased that short lived news feature after we laughed at it.

Basically this thread has more influence over CIG than the backers who've given them hundreds of millions and that is loving funny.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

Judging by the state of the game, it looks like they have plenty of time to spare.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Aside from other Space "MMOs" in the works, what else would they have to compare SC against?

Really? There are tons of extremely profitable MMOs to compare against. There are literally hundreds of these games over in Asia as well as worldwide making money hand over fist such as Maplestory, Lineage, Lineage II, World of Tanks, Dungeon Fighter Online, Asheron's Call, PSO2, Ragnarok Online, Ultima Online, etc, etc.

The graphs are hand-picked of the worst games ever to compare against just to prove a non-important point.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah, perhaps it is. But if they're doing it to test a specific mechanic without much information leaking (read: SQ42 level), 192 NDAs are a lot easier to track than 2,000 (and even then, someone would still find a way to leak info).

SQ42 is not the secret missing reel of the Zapruder film. It's a lovely on rails shooter. It does not need this level of security, it is inflated to hide all kinds of terrible truths. The script is already out, the story is already out. No one gives a poo poo apart from hardcore Lethality type people - the kind of people trying to get in and sign the NDA to spoil it for themselves.

There is no perhaps. Attempting to assign a set number of player entities to CPUs isn't real life.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Skellybones posted:

Derek, is your plan to gain control of CIG by buying 51% of the ships?

LOL!! no comment :D :D :D

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

What. I. What.
That makes so little sense it's not even making no sense. It's making unsense.

How do you "hide" by moving into an environment where your signature sticks out from the background like a sore thumb?

How do you get "heated" by a "planet with a molten surface"?
Through its prodigous infrared output?

Wtf is this poo poo?

Other planets with molten surfaces: Earth

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Gunna lead you through some word wizardry here right.

These testers sign non-disclosement agreements. So they are not allowed to disclose things. They must keep things closed. The people testing the game must keep it closed. This is okay in an open development game. Making people agree to NDAs, which is a step towards keeping an open games development company's progress closed, is a healthy sign. Can you see the cause for concern?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

With 300 or so employees, how are you going to get almost 2/3rd of them to stress-test to that capacity without interrupting the flow of work (insert joke about "what kind of work - they're doing nothing right now" here).

Edit: I'm not a game developer or claim to have that kind of knowledge, so wtf do I know . . .

You hire people to do this job. This is a job you pay people to do. Stress-testing is done after the pre-alpha, in such as a PTU.

If you want people to stress-test poo poo you don't bury it behind a second closed pre-alpha, you just have them log into your open beta.

But you have to have working netcode for that so.....

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

I will readily admit that I know nothing about game development, but isn't that the kind of thing you program bots to do? I mean in the end it's just a bunch of clients simultaneously connecting to the same server, and wouldn't the kind of diagnostics you're looking for be better reported by a program than a person anyway?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Mr.Tophat posted:

Only your humility

And quite a bit of mental sanity, thanks to lovely drivers, bad prescalers, windows' Flinstones-tech level of compositing and DPI scaling and other issues.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I haven't driven the 650, but I have driven the 570. My biggest disappointment - and why I may just get the Vantage S over the 540C, is because McLaren says it won't release in the US after all; though some dealers will be able to special order it - at a premium. So anyone who wanted a 504C, has to be more and get the 570 instead. :( A friend of mine owns a 570GT, but I prefer the 540C over the 570S because the upgrade and price hike don't do anything for me.

I tend to agree that the McLaren is a better quality than the Aston Martin; but it all depends on several factors really.

I'll always prefer McLarens due to the simple fact that I think performance sports cars/supercars should look like they were designed by a twelve year old a thousand years in the future. I can appreciate the sort of understated coolness of Astons, but at the end of the day I think it should look like it's going to shoot lasers at you and then shoot off into space.

Not that I'm in the market for either though.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes. Josef Croebbels appears to be that vane.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

OK, now I'm going to do something that I never do and is the sort of thing that would get a direct quote on my notes, I'm gonna pull "rank" lol.

You've been posting here for 2 months, I've been posting here for 11+ years. Do you think that 5 years from now I will remember Wanker62534 once said he wanted all refugees to drown because muslim children are just terrorists in the larval stage? No one can keep all of this poo poo in their mind but that person is still a poo poo person and I want to keep that in mind whenever I read something he wrote.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Paramemetic posted:

You hire people to do this job. This is a job you pay people to do. Stress-testing is done after the pre-alpha, in such as a PTU.

If you want people to stress-test poo poo you don't bury it behind a second closed pre-alpha, you just have them log into your open beta.

But you have to have working netcode for that so.....

Well, therein lies the catch-22: How do they expect to effectively and in a controlled environment test changes to the netcode to allow 192 instanced users on the same server (before opening it out to the larger ptu) without having a control group first? It would be a poo poo-show if those changes were released to a larger ptu initially. If they are able to effect a change they think works, they can roll that out to the PTU to test minor bugs that may occur before dropping live, no?

Is this how it works?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I will readily admit that I know nothing about game development, but isn't that the kind of thing you program bots to do? I mean in the end it's just a bunch of clients simultaneously connecting to the same server, and wouldn't the kind of diagnostics you're looking for be better reported by a program than a person anyway?

Bots can't notice problems you don't program them to notice. You'd have to create a bot looking for every possible problem and if you know the entire set of problems you dont need the bots.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Shitizens, draw lots. Those who draw sort straws will go into the time out zone.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

DS early April - "The ELE already happened, I can't tell anything now, THEY ARE hosed, JUST WAIT, 2 WEEKS"

2 weeks pass

DS mid April - "The only thing I can say is in early May I'll be entering a federal building THEY ARE hosed, JUST WAIT, 2 WEEKS"

2 weeks pass

DS early May - "Just came out of a federal building, oh god it's terrible I wish I could say more THEY ARE hosed, JUST WAIT, 2 WEEKS"

2 weeks pass

DS mid May - "The feds are on it, these things take time, expect searches later this month THEY ARE hosed, JUST WAIT, 2 WEEKS"

2 weeks pass

DS early June - "People are going to go to jail over this, the ELE is coming, THEY ARE hosed, JUST WAIT, 2 WEEKS"

This is just going to go on and on and on until CIG goes bust and some of you people are reaching shitizen levels of wishful thinking. He doesn't even have to make solid claims anymore, just say something vague and a shitload of people will immediately fill in the gaps with their imagination which then quickly becomes accepted truth in the thread. And now we're doing witch hunts? It's not enough that whales come here to defend SC they have to be :derp: CIG paid shills :derp:. On the say so of Derek Smart?

loving love of god, was there some brain virus in that code?

I'm curious. At which point, in the last year or so since the "two weeks" became a meme, did they actually miss the part where it became in-your-face-clear that it was, uhm, a meme?

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
I'm going to buy you all red titles that only I can see

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Good, the thread was slowing down a little too much.

Smart vs. MeLKoR - Round One, FIGHT!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Please do not breathe in the smoke screen, it is not that kind of smoke - Derek Smart, probably some time two weeks ago

• Locked thread