Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

lol look at this scumbo mad bitter that town owning him with game breaking strats

it's just boring. solving the game by gaming the mechanics is not fun to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

TMMadman posted:

Everyone should just stop trying to game the mechanics because all it's going to end up doing is confirming a scum as town. Just play the game naturally and scum hunt.

I read this as vote GG.
LIKE SERIOUSLY GUYS
If we let a tracked player who visited someone that lost Bp go then it's our own drat faults when we lose.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not saying we shouldn't do it to win, but it's not nearly as enjoyable

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jimson posted:

I read this as vote GG.
LIKE SERIOUSLY GUYS
If we let a tracked player who visited someone that lost Bp go then it's our own drat faults when we lose.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I highly doubt that Cpig would go through all the trouble of updating and improving his game just to let it be solved through mechanics.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Puntification posted:

based on what?

Just how I would imagine the mechanics would interact. If I had HP and a bulletproof, I would be pretty upset if a 1 HP damage attack could pop that and remove my protection from nightdeath. I feel like the BP would only get popped if a player were going to die.

Combine it with a strange claimed action by GG and knowing that if someone claimed to attack FL they would be cleared as town and I feel good about that intuition since no one is stepping up to the plate for it. Still have Azuth and Kumba to check in, but Jimson was also attacked so I assume at least one of them will be claiming that.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

i'm more of a in it to win it kinda guy so i'll take whatever i can get no matter how out of the general spirit of mafia it is, frankly i think it is just scummy to not take advantage of any mechanics we can in a setup like this, and if you wanted to play a pure mafia game you shouldn't have signed up for one with so many gimmicks

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

TMMadman posted:

Everyone should just stop trying to game the mechanics because all it's going to end up doing is confirming a scum as town. Just play the game naturally and scum hunt.

Nah.

Kashuno posted:

I've only played a handful of games and I'm already tired of players going "Look at this OMGUS" or "This is a WIFOM"

It's interesting to see if there are holes we can poke in the system.
If we can game the mechanics, it means future games can be developed to have mechanics that are breakable.

More ways to play mafia would surely not be a bad thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
so if players attack other players to "test" them, what happens when someone has 1 attack? They do no damage to anyone by virtue of the rules if I understand correctly

Attack Choose a player, your attack stat will be compared to their defense stat and this will determine damage dealt.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

chaoslord posted:

Combine it with a strange claimed action by GG and knowing that if someone claimed to attack FL they would be cleared as town and I feel good about that intuition since no one is stepping up to the plate for it. Still have Azuth and Kumba to check in, but Jimson was also attacked so I assume at least one of them will be claiming that.

and yeah GGs claimed power is like a super weak version of Max's claimed power

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation

Infinitum posted:

If we can game the mechanics, it means future games can be developed to have mechanics that are NOT* breakable.

:v:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

i'm more of a in it to win it kinda guy so i'll take whatever i can get no matter how out of the general spirit of mafia it is, frankly i think it is just scummy to not take advantage of any mechanics we can in a setup like this, and if you wanted to play a pure mafia game you shouldn't have signed up for one with so many gimmicks

Kashuno posted:

Not saying we shouldn't do it to win, but it's not nearly as enjoyable

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

so if players attack other players to "test" them, what happens when someone has 1 attack? They do no damage to anyone by virtue of the rules if I understand correctly

Attack Choose a player, your attack stat will be compared to their defense stat and this will determine damage dealt.

depends if a player is advised whenever they are attacked or only if they take damage

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

I didnt ge to that post yett!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

depends if a player is advised whenever they are attacked or only if they take damage

good point

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually a little curious about Azuth. He only made 4 posts during D1 and then publicly saved the lynch. I would normally think that's a town power, but it also denies town information. Plus he didn't bother to mention that he could solve the thunderdome problem.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Kashuno posted:

good point

A point I've made many times, because I have 5 def.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

TMMadman posted:

I'm actually a little curious about Azuth. He only made 4 posts during D1 and then publicly saved the lynch. I would normally think that's a town power, but it also denies town information. Plus he didn't bother to mention that he could solve the thunderdome problem.

This is a pretty solid post and I didn't consider this angle.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Jimson posted:

A point I've made many times, because I have 5 def.

didnt you take a damage last night?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation

Kashuno posted:

Players with 1 attack would go to the zone that gives them bonuses to attack.
Match a player with 1 attack with 1 defence and it might work.
If the attack fails you'd probably get a "Action unsuccessful" message.

We're trying to whittle the list down on potential scum candidates.
It'll be practically impossible to verify all of town, but we might be able confirm some and thus gain an advantage through mechanics.

I'll have a think about it, as I said it's 2am and I should probably get some sleep.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I don't see a scum azuth using his power to prevent me from being lynched, scum wouldnt want to prolong the game that way i dont think

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

TMMadman posted:

i also hate meta arguments, but in his GBS game he was a very prolific poster and he was town sooo

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ehhhhh, I'm with Kash in that I would rather just use what I have and play this game normally. Like right now, beyond what they've posted, I'm fairly certain TMM is town since he did the most boring possible thing in the most boring location.

Also the different stat stuff will throw a wrench into everything.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Players with 1 attack would go to the zone that gives them bonuses to attack.
Match a player with 1 attack with 1 defence and it might work.
If the attack fails you'd probably get a "Action unsuccessful" message.

We're trying to whittle the list down on potential scum candidates.
It'll be practically impossible to verify all of town, but we might be able confirm some and thus gain an advantage through mechanics.

I'll have a think about it, as I said it's 2am and I should probably get some sleep.

And what's to stop scum from being attacked and being like "nah no damage here!" or if scum and scum end up being tested they can just confirm it.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Does anyone have a recent votecount?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
there is also the possibility of abilities that change targets, block abilities, etc etc. It's a path that will waste valuable time for town while scum searches the wastes from d3 onward.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

300 new posts. i want to die.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kashuno posted:

And what's to stop scum from being attacked and being like "nah no damage here!" or if scum and scum end up being tested they can just confirm it.

Also what happens if I accidentally attack too strong and kill someone

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

I don't see a scum azuth using his power to prevent me from being lynched, scum wouldnt want to prolong the game that way i dont think

And I could see scum using that power for exactly this response. What better way to 'prove' you're town than to prevent an early D1 thunderdome?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation

Rurea posted:

Does anyone have a recent votecount?

Ask FL, he fixed Votefinder.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

JakeP posted:

didnt you take a damage last night?

Yeah which means who ever attacked me has some serious hardware.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

300 new posts. i want to die.

tl;dr: Jake tracked GG to FL, FL claims lost BP.

*MECHANICS CHAT*

Now.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Considering we have over 24 hours till deadline, id like to see if any of the people with less than 10 posts have something to say

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Kashuno posted:

tl;dr: Jake tracked GG to FL, FL claims lost BP.

*MECHANICS CHAT*

Now.

Can we please get a vote count <3

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

I think as town we need to make a HUGE note of the people fighting us over GG.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

we have a moral duty to break the game if we can

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Jimson posted:

I legit only saw 3 people haha my perception is rear end.

I was looking at Jimson's damage stuff and saw this. Jimson can you double check how many people you saw?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Flying Leatherman posted:

I was looking at Jimson's damage stuff and saw this. Jimson can you double check how many people you saw?

That's not a surprising result. TMM also saw less people than me at the pods. It has to do with how good your Perception is, I think.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Max posted:

That's not a surprising result. TMM also saw less people than me at the pods. It has to do with how good your Perception is, I think.

Trust me Max, I have a reason for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i've been in meetings for hours

the 9 person list is accurate to the best of my knowledge

i already claimed i went searching, that's how i found this booze

• Locked thread