Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks, I really did forget.
I never heard it until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For all the horrible about that cutscene and that character, it's also notable because this is where The Naming Convention kicks in in earnest.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

For all the horrible about that cutscene and that character, it's also notable because this is where The Convention kicks in in earnest.

FTFY

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, that's right, no adjectives (or nouns used as). Got fooled by The Nexus Stone.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I had a lot of fun recording the commentary for this one (at Zain's expense) and even more fun editing it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated: I just ordered an Xbone controller and I will test out whether it works with the PC version of Defiance.
I will assume that it doesn't, and I know for a fact that using it will be much more difficult for me than keyboard ever was, but I'll try nonetheless.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Xbox controllers are bad get with the heroes and use a PS4 controller :cool:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I only have an XBox1 controller because more games are likely to have the right buttons in tooltips and such for it. The PS button symbols are cool and superior.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Are the Darksiders games good to learn a controller at 21 for the first time? I bought them two days ago on a Steam sale (5 EUR instead of the usual 50, I know a bargain when I see one) and don't want to have to readjust my brain to something I am already used to playing on keyboard

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcLrmmLcKDA

It's everywhere.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
A little insight into how my mind operates.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
you know what always struck me as remarkably silly game design? Your constantly lowering health. It's like the developers didn't want you snooping around their levels too much in case you realised how badly made they were so had to enforce an arbitrary time limit to force you to keep moving forward. I'm wondering if it's actually possible to starve to death if you waited for long enough, but I assume they wouldn't do that in case they broke the game by checkpointing someone where they couldn't get to blood in time. But then again, good game design can't really be attached to this game, otherwise it might be entertaining to play. Any chance you'll do some more science for the sake of boredom AlexeyThe Player?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

you know what always struck me as remarkably silly game design? Your constantly lowering health.
That's not a BO2 thing though. All the LoK games have done that. I guess it's there to symbolize how your character is a monster driven by hunger and whatnot.
The health-drain is slow enough that I never felt it being a timer though. It still gives you plenty of time to explore and look around. I think the only time this was punishing was back in Malek's Bastion in BO1 and there it was kinda the point.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 16, 2016

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In Blood Omen 1 you had usually had enough Hearts of Darkness that it'd never be a problem to br low on health. That recent boss fight where Alexey ended the fight with 0 health was a bit nailbiting though, as who wants to re-watch/replay a dull 10 minute boss fight?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

you know what always struck me as remarkably silly game design? Your constantly lowering health. It's like the developers didn't want you snooping around their levels too much in case you realised how badly made they were so had to enforce an arbitrary time limit to force you to keep moving forward. I'm wondering if it's actually possible to starve to death if you waited for long enough, but I assume they wouldn't do that in case they broke the game by checkpointing someone where they couldn't get to blood in time. But then again, good game design can't really be attached to this game, otherwise it might be entertaining to play. Any chance you'll do some more science for the sake of boredom AlexeyThe Player?

I already checked that accidentally during the Sebastian fight. The health gauge goes down to the equivalent of 1HP and stays there, leaving you open to be killed by anything in one hit.
That is different from the SR games and Defiance, where the health can go all the way down to zero and you actually can die (or get thrown into the Spectral Realm) by simply staying idle for too long.
I have no clue how BO1 works in that regard.
And yes, I will be searching for other ways to break the game, although the next two updates will not be presenting any opportunities to do so.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 16, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This boss fight is better than any of the other boss fights in the game, since you don't have to actually engage him and do the usual routine of "stay in block and wait for the rage meter to fill up to dark gift him into oblivion".
It is still bad, however.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's bad because it's the first time you have to use telekinesis for any combat application besides activating switches. When the game trains your mind to make you think it's only useful for switches and then designs a boss battle designed entirely about using it on the boss, that's bad game design.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Amidst the perpetual disappointment this game constitues, there are two or three things which are very low points. One of them was the statue of Mobius: being the Time Streamer, the fact that he was somehow related to the Eternal Prison was no surprise, but the way it was constructed, oh boy.......
Only a cameo, one of the elements forced into the gameplay to rimember that this game is part of the LoK saga. Kain don't even seem to recognise his worst enemy; I would have loved a comment about Mobius being useful for once.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, well, they clearly didn't care. The fascinating story of redemption of Kain's best warrior is more important.

Unrelated, I just recorded update number 26, and it's 38 minutes long. 13 of them are cutscenes. Holy crap.
Also unrelated, I'll be posting two updates a day from now on, so I can get it done on 20th. They are also done live, occasionally stooping into the "Okay, now I'll do this... okay... okay... what's this? Ah, there it is..." style of commentary, which is usually laughed out of SA and rightly so. I happen to not care. Not for BO2.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 16, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The Blood Omen The 2: The Definite Articling

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That's actually something I grow to have fun with.
By mocking it, of course.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I just found out that none of the last 40 minutes of that poo poo were recorded. I have the commentary, but I don't have the footage.

gently caress this poo poo.

gently caress this.

The Beast is Janos, the Hylden are the Hylden, Kain kills the Hylden lord in the end of the game and Janos dies.

I'm starting the Defiance thread tomorrow and will finish this pile of poo poo when I see fit.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

I just found out that none of the last 40 minutes of that poo poo were recorded. I have the commentary, but I don't have the footage.

gently caress this poo poo.

gently caress this.

The Beast is Janos, the Hylden are the Hylden, Kain kills the Hylden lord in the end of the game and Janos dies.

I'm starting the Defiance thread tomorrow and will finish this pile of poo poo when I see fit.

I'm honestly surprised that it took you so long. You're a more tenacious (or masochistic) man than I am, that's for sure.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
That's probably for the best, really. Now you can play something good again!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

This is a good call.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Alexeythegreat posted:

This boss fight is better than any of the other boss fights in the game, since you don't have to actually engage him and do the usual routine of "stay in block and wait for the rage meter to fill up to dark gift him into oblivion".
It is still bad, however.

I haven't watched all the other boss fights but that was really, really bad. They have an invincible boss who poses no real threat and who runs around the level almost at random. Because of reasons of adventure game logic you have to lead him around and assemble a broken statue so that the statue will fall on him. It takes forever and is terrible. I don't know why the devs would leave that the way it is after seeing the end result. They should have said, "gently caress it, stick him in the middle of the broken statue map and let the player thrash him to death. It will be unremarkable, but it will be over quickly and really forgettable, so at least te poor sods who bought this game can get on with their lives."

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The first Defiance video is processing, and in the meantime I'm thinking of the thread title.
So far I'm choosing between:
1) I AM THE ORIGIN OF LIFE (Legacy of Kain: Defiance);
2) Legacy of Kain: Defiance, Where Impaling People is Fun
3) Legacy of Kain: Defiance

The third option seems like the best one because minimalist and out of place.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
What in the hell... Let's Play Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Final Turn of the Wheel. Let's Play Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Final Turn of the Wheel. Let's Play Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

We have a winner. Just in the nick of time, too, I was already about to post the thread.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The Defiance thread is up

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Catching up on the videos, I think I found out the perfect embodiment of just how bland the game is.
I forgot about the spiders.

This might require some explanation. I am arachnophobic as gently caress. I play RPGs as far from the screen as I can get in case the fuckers pop up. I refuse to approach even a tiny spider in the corner of the room without being armed with something long-handled and squish-confirmed, preferably a mop. I played the Dark Souls 2 spidertown part at a different table than my monitor is on. I even run a Steam Curator that warns people when there's spiders in games.

I forgot this game had them.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 18, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Catching up on the videos, I think I found out the perfect embodiment of just how bland the game is.
I forgot about the spiders.

This might bear require explanation. I am arachnophobic as gently caress. I play RPGs as far from the screen as I can get in case the fuckers pop up. I refuse to approach even a tiny spider in the corner of the room without being armed with something long-handled and squish-confirmed, preferably a mop. I played the Dark Souls 2 spidertown part at a different table than my monitor is on. I even run a Steam Curator that warns people when there's spiders in games.

I forgot this game had them.

I didn't remember them either, FWIW :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I seriously rolled my eyes when the Hylden Builder said "The Mass."

We really are reaching critical mass of rear end

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The Mass Effect

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

rear end Defect.

:smuggo:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
The "Yell" The Hylden make when they do The Power Attack sounds like they're wearing The Universal Translator from Adventure Time sent to Old Man. Totally not intimidating at all.

• Locked thread