Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You can kill it but not there, if it gets low health it poops a large shard in terror and flies away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Sakurazuka posted:

So can you actually kill the dragon on the High Wall? I tried shooting a couple of crossbow bolts at it but it totally ignored them.

ranged weapons have limited range, are you sure you were close enough?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheQat posted:

ranged weapons have limited range, are you sure you were close enough?

....Possibly not

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This goddamn tree is kicking my rear end. Why are you fireproof, you stupid tree?!

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011
I never bothered with a faith weapon, now the shield you can get for free in undead settlement is great and you can upgrade it with the titanite you can buy from the merchant to increase the healing rate. I've pretty much had it equipped while two-handing the entire game.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ok apparently there is an umbral ash that lets you buy titanite chunks but i cant find anything about it anywhere online, anyone know

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

RedTonic posted:

I haven't gotten the kick to work. Just started out as the assassin. Is it because of the weapon I'm using? Forward + R1 does a quick retreat attack which doesn't break guard. Forward + R2 is just a strong jump attack.

I do it all the time by mistake, its like Scorpion's fuckin scissor takedown

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

ok apparently there is an umbral ash that lets you buy titanite chunks but i cant find anything about it anywhere online, anyone know

You find these throughout the game in each area and give them to the merchant hag

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

(spoilered for special item in the dungeon)
:kimchi:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I see that Darkwraiths have got an upgrade since DS1

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Stormgale posted:

The Rapier class of weapons replaces the kick with the retreat, one of the reasons I don't use them as much actually.

voltron lion force posted:

Yeah poking swords and curved swords have a different move instead of the kick.

Thanks! That helps quite a bit. :yayclod: I thought I'd lost my touch.

I just reached the Firelink Shrine. I'm really happy with the assassin start - it's basically the build I've used since Demon's Souls. Plus I'm finally getting mileage out of that sneaky spell... Though I'd be happier with some blue pewpew to take out the katana mummy.

(psst stormgale i miss u in bdo ~ birginia)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

what the hell, is that your character?

how?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: And also, "you're doing it wrong" isn't even an applicable statement in this situation. No matter what you do, you cannot mitigate the effects of the muck besides not going in it, which is not possible. There's nothing to do wrong, unless you count the game designers doing the players wrong by putting in a lovely area like this for the third time

Equip dagger. Two-hand it. Press L2.

You're welcome.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

I think I might have just gotten it, you need to kill 3 lords or cinder or do the skip to do dancer early, then kill consumed king for the gesture and use it next to the meditating dragon in the jail

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

TheQat posted:

what the hell, is that your character?

how?

I told you. Special item in the dungeon! :buddy:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Whaaaat? There's one that won't attack you? Oops... :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

The path you are describing does not exist past the way to the first tower. There are spots of land that are dry that you can stand on, yes, but those also existed in Blighttown.

edit: And also, "you're doing it wrong" isn't even an applicable statement in this situation. No matter what you do, you cannot mitigate the effects of the muck besides not going in it, which is not possible. There's nothing to do wrong, unless you count the game designers doing the players wrong by putting in a lovely area like this for the third time

You can sort of mitigate it by equipping a quickstep weapon as it ignores the slow when you use its art, but doing so will drain your mana.

I'm trying to figure out why I liked Shrine of Amana but not lower Blighttown/Farron Keep. I think its because Amana is a straight line whereas the later are both big open areas. Normally I like big open areas, but when they are dark swamps that limit your movement exploring them just isn't fun. Also Amana actually had dangerous enemies so the water movement penalty was an issue.Blighttown has leeches and loving mosquitoes bugging the poo poo out of you. Farron Keep's deep sludge is mostly harmless slugs and baskilisks.

Well aside from the vicar priests. I have no idea how you're even supposed to fight those short of having enough damage to kill them in one combo, cause they never stop summoning projectiles.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 14, 2016

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

Whaaaat? There's one that won't attack you? Oops... :(

kill it anyway, they're horrifying

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Speedball posted:

This goddamn tree is kicking my rear end. Why are you fireproof, you stupid tree?!

Its not fireproof, it just only has certain vulnerable spots :)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TheQat posted:

fextralife wiki says that it never reaches S and reaches A only with Heavy. So I think it might be good to do that? I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to this stuff http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Great+Club

Ah I'm thinking of the butcher knife

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Speedball posted:

Light his nuts on fire.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can still quickstep at zero mana, despite all conventional logic.

You can even do it while over your maximum equip load and give approximately zero fucks about movement speed or rolling, because it gives you iframes while doing it.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Thumbtacks posted:

kill it anyway, they're horrifying

Its an adorable helpless baby :colbert:

Now the loving ripped up spider ladies with 15 thousand legs can burn in hell

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

I just discovered two neat things
2) If you use a heavy attack while running it'll immediately do a jump attack instead of a running attack

Holy poo poo that's so good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

You can sort of mitigate it by equipping a quickstep weapon as it ignores the slow when you use its art, but doing so will drain your mana.

I'm trying to figure out why I liked Shrine of Amana but not lower Blighttown/Farron Keep. I think its because Amana is a straight line whereas the later are both big open areas. Normally I like big open areas, but when they are dark swamps that limit your movement exploring them just isn't fun. Also Amana actually had dangerous enemies so the water movement penalty was an issue.Blighttown has leeches and loving mosquitoes bugging the poo poo out of you. Farron Keep's deep sludge is mostly harmless slugs and baskilisks.

Well aside from the vicar priests. I have no idea how you're even supposed to fight those short of having enough damage to kill them in one combo, cause they never stop summoning projectiles.

Dodge roll and hit them twice. Dodge from projectiles created by hit you just dodged. Repeat.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

voltron lion force posted:

Yeah poking swords and curved swords have a different move instead of the kick.

This is weapon specific, for example I think the estoc and falchion have a kick and not a silly poke or twirl.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, in the Undead Settlement behind a house there's one of those cages filled with arms and legs things that you can talk to, can you do anything with that or is it just there to spout nonsense?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Computer posted:

I just discovered two neat things

1) You can change between one-handing and two-handing while running now
2) If you use a heavy attack while running it'll immediately do a jump attack instead of a running attack

Also you can press R3 twice to make the menu go away so you can see your fashion souls while changing equipment, you can hold down on the d-pad to instant switch to estus, and you can cast some spells while running, like faron dart.

Some cool little quality of life improvements that are easy to miss.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Elpato posted:

Wow. Doing an Int/Str build heavily reliant on Magic Weapon and big rear end swords, and I encounteredCrystal Sage boss last night. My build hadn't come online as far as HP or stamina yet, and I would constantly get two-shotted in phase two with the boss at about 10% HP. I hung my head and summoned a Sunbro.

I'll try him solo with my next character that's not such a glass cannon. Victory seemed juuust out of reach every attempt, and I felt that doing it alone on that particular character was a near impossibility.

Black Knight was a surprise though. I hope these constant callbacks get addressed soon. They're a little too heavy-handed to not need explanation.

Time and space are leaky, and the opening cinematic suggests that here and now they're REAL leaky.

I think the only Lord of Cinder who is in a throne, the transposition guy, implies something else related to the second part, but I can't remember exactly what was said or whether it was him I'm remembering. :saddowns:

Sounds like the Lords might be prior rekindlers of the fire, which presumably took some time between iterations. But now they and their subjects are all here, more or less.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Shortest Path posted:

You can still quickstep at zero mana, despite all conventional logic.

You can even do it while over your maximum equip load and give approximately zero fucks about movement speed or rolling, because it gives you iframes while doing it.

I heard, but can not confirm, that it loses the iframes when you use it without mana.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Krinkle posted:

I helped people with that boss just past him and nobody killed it. They were huddling against the wall hiding from the death from above. I tried to make the death fight the thing but it didn't work and I died. I didn't kill the thing either. I don't think it is killable while the death is above. I do not know how to stop the death. I can only hide against the wall, from the thing and the death alike.

I'm slowly working my way through the thread's bajillion post backlogs, telling myself that it'll slow down eventually, today is the day I can get to the last post, promise, but I wanted to pause and say this is one of my favorite of the posts that have popped up since launch. Status report on my progress, got to Yhorm, didn't fight him yet because I want to fight Pontiff and see if I can save Greirat since apparently Seigward is a small part of that questline.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Has anyone played around much with the exile greatsword? I kind of want to try some other heavy +str weapons. I'm not super impressed with the large and greatclub in this game since it seems a lot harder to pancake enemies and would rather have something a touch faster for my trouble. I'm right at the point where I can get a Black Knight greatsword as well, but I don't really have the twinkling titanite around to upgrade it. I've got Vort's hammer, but the active skill on that doesn't seem great and the frost effect is kind of an afterthought gimmick. The Zweihander with a heavy infusion is the most vanilla (and therefore wrong) answer.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably just crank str up more and use the greataxe to hammer dudes in the face super hard.

Is it weird that I'm already planning my next character? I'm thinking about doing a bleed gimmick run as a luck thief build. Ideally I'd probably stick to just the bandit's knife unless I really can't make progress.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is this blue Lothric Knight guaranteed to drop something? I got three separate pieces of Lothric Knight gear off of him so far, after killing him 3 times

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
weird, i had ~22k souls from invading people and then they just disappeared. I didn't know you could lose souls from invading?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why did pyromancy get nerfed into the ground? Like the only thing it had going for it was that it had no stat reqs and was souls-only. Now it's borderline not worth going into.

Tabletops posted:

weird, i had ~22k souls from invading people and then they just disappeared. I didn't know you could lose souls from invading?

When you die as an invader, you leave a bloodstain in your own world where you died in theirs.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Goddamn this thread has a good title.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tabletops posted:

Your souls are on your bloodstain where you died as a phantom.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Internet Kraken posted:

I haven't gotten to whatever this part is in DS3, but I want to say that I had a lot of fun running people through the Shrine in DS2 using dual caestus. It was like I was batman.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I have a question. Is it actually possible to beat the second phase of the Abyss Watchers fight?

Because I don't think it is. If so though, how the hell do you even start to fight a guy with a fire sword and apparently infinite stamina who literally does not stop attacking ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

CJacobs posted:

Why did pyromancy get nerfed into the ground? Like the only thing it had going for it was that it had no stat reqs and was souls-only. Now it's borderline not worth going into.

i'm not sure if you're being obtuse on purpose but at least a few people in this thread are saying it's the only really good magic in this game