Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

ManofManyAliases posted:

ATV was luck luster, but was excited to hear the 2.4 talk

Soon(tm)

I know right! I love how CIG continues to deliver!

really silences the haters!

E:

Kakarot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

G0RF posted:

Well you do have to admit you vanished for a couple of months, then came back gunning non-stop for Derek. You didn't seem to be enjoying any :lol:s - just raging. Amirite?

I may not have posted, but I was reading. But there's the thing, I didn't come raging for Derek. If I did that's funny cause he didn't seem to think so. As he pointed out himself. I said if he, or anyone thought it was about him or anyone else fine, but I never singled anyone out specifically.

I was making a point over all the speculation, period. As that's what its been. People got pissy, I among them. That's fine.

What I took offense to was the attacks left and right. But this is SA and the internet, so par for the course.

People just need to take a step back. That's all. There's plenty to discuss without turning on one another. Yet, look what happened?

Either way, not trying to drag this poo poo out. Just clarifying.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ZWvuq85C4&t=715s

Star Citizen, 112 million dollars, change into t-shirts & shorts and hang out for no reason at all, then go through the airlock.

Do not listen to this man.
I am excited because with the addition of the Port Olisar Galleria, we are surely going to get a Space Food Court.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

I am excited because with the addition of the Port Olisar Galleria, we are surely going to get a Space Food Court.

Big Bennies for everyone, or donuts

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kakarot posted:

I know right! I love how CIG continues to deliver!

really silences the haters!

Well they do drop a tenth of an alpha version update almost every month

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ftfy

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah, my post was completely tongue-in-cheek, though - and you answered it totally honestly, so I was taken aback a bit. It's all good.

Oh I know. As was mine. Just dry humor. Clearly went over some heads. But that's on me. Can't blame the audience of the jokes bad.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

G0RF posted:

I am looking forward to the space footlong making mini game.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Considering how solid and enjoyable 2.3 was, with impenetrable anti-griefing measures combined with a state-of-the-art engine that the team at CIG clearly has a firm hand on, I'm more convinced than ever that 2.4 will be the usual leap forward. I'm certain that it won't mostly consist of yet another way to generate revenue, and instead begin introducing an actual game somewhere. It's a fairly common theme, known by everyone who knows anything about game development, that actual game elements often work their way into these patches without plans, a roadmap, or any thought put into them - it's called "emergence" - look it up.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

I know that different people work on different parts of the game & they're not interchangeable, but aren't the shifty fuckers working on the stores & clothes literally the same shifty fuckers that should be putting an end to "Sausage Citizen" & putting female avatars into the game?

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016
You know what's great about Star CItizen?

I always wanted to know what it would be like to poo poo my pants in space. Thanks to B'Tak and Chris Roberts I will no longer have to wonder.

Is it like making GBS threads my pants in real life? Am I filled with a sense of embarrassment and self loathing? Or does it not matter anymore, because it's space? I can't wait to find out.

BTW, I think I figured out what the hole in the crotch of the space suit is for, it's so when you need to poo poo in space you don't have to stink up your suit. That's right there my friends is fidelity in the best gosh darn space sim ever.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Calling someone a oval office is ok but it's too easy, I compared sandis face to an arthritic spine once, mix it up man.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I may not have posted, but I was reading. But there's the thing, I didn't come raging for Derek. If I did that's funny cause he didn't seem to think so. As he pointed out himself. I said if he, or anyone thought it was about him or anyone else fine, but I never singled anyone out specifically.

I was making a point over all the speculation, period. As that's what its been. People got pissy, I among them. That's fine.

What I took offense to was the attacks left and right. But this is SA and the internet, so par for the course.

People just need to take a step back. That's all. There's plenty to discuss without turning on one another. Yet, look what happened?

The thread is hungry and you are basting and preparing yourself. Desist. I beg you.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ragequit posted:

Wow they have Steam support beat in ineptitude. That is a crowning achievement.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they just throw the "ban review" requests in the bin, but maybe I'll get a response now after all.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Chalks posted:

I was so lost without this thread.

Anyway, here's something interesting I learnt while the thread was closed:

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/720685199940399104

According to Lando, CIG's customer support team has such a vast backlog tickets that it can take them almost two months to respond to them!

I'm calling bullshit on this claim to be honest, but I'll let you all know how long it takes them to respond to my ticket from February loving 24th.

Didn't someone say recently that the queue was emptied at some point? Either he's full of poo poo (how could that possibly be?!) or they've accumulated a ridiculous amount of CS tickets in a short period of time (and if Hobo Santa weren't often proven to be full of BS this wouldn't be hard to believe either).

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
When do you think they are going to edit their TOS again?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Endlessly bitching? Funny cause Derek didn't think it was all about him. Which it wasn't.

I'm done though. My point was proven when this thread took it's a obvious turn.

Aren't you the guy who came to this thread and repeatedly tried to promote your podcast before being laughed off?

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

Nice meltdown.

FYI: "nuh uh, my long lovely boring posts about Derek weren't endless because I also made long lovely boring posts about other subjects" isn't the greatest argument I've ever heard.

You getting so worked up is adorable. Wonder if you'll respond to anyone with "redux" in the name.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It still boggles my mind to think that a game thats still like 3 years away from release has a loving weeks long queue to get tickets resolved. Why are there so many tickets there in the first place?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

sometimes i feel like people who havent been goons for years, certain subtexts get missing; not to single you out, i've been trying to figure out a way to condense almost 20 years of how this community came to be the way it is:

at some point this was a forum that was mostly regarding a gaming-centric comedy website. that website was, iirc, best known for IRC pranks. "pak chooie unf", i believe, was a much younger lowtax making fun of a literal child.

the forum really blew up off photoshops, and a lot of the comedy developed around "here is one topic or joke, turn it into a better one". this, among other things, like our elitist nature, drove a lot of posting to be cyclical, iirc as early as 2000:

1) someone makes fun of someone

2) 8,000 people who aren't actually funny post new jokes that really amount to rehashed old ones, hoping for laughs. they don't really have the balls to call anyone out, they just wait until it is marked okay by the community

3) one or two of them of them are actually funny

and thus the tradition of bandwagons of people trying to rehash jokes and make fun of targets already deemed acceptable was born, because everyone wants to be the guy from step 3.

a lot of guilds in video games were based around doing this all day every day in places that are not SA

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

Considering how solid and enjoyable 2.3 was, with impenetrable anti-griefing measures combined with a state-of-the-art engine that the team at CIG clearly has a firm hand on, I'm more convinced than ever that 2.4 will be the usual leap forward. I'm certain that it won't mostly consist of yet another way to generate revenue, and instead begin introducing an actual game somewhere. It's a fairly common theme, known by everyone who knows anything about game development, that actual game elements often work their way into these patches without plans, a roadmap, or any thought put into them - it's called "emergence" - look it up.

same - since certainly none of the previous updates were a way to generate revenue or an excuse to weasel out of their TOS, I'm sure this will be world-changing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jason Sextro posted:

Didn't someone say recently that the queue was emptied at some point? Either he's full of poo poo (how could that possibly be?!) or they've accumulated a ridiculous amount of CS tickets in a short period of time (and if Hobo Santa weren't often proven to be full of BS this wouldn't be hard to believe either).

I thought they dumped their queue backlog around the new year. Or it coincided with a new PU release or something because they figured that the new version would have invalidated all the older concerns. A queue dump definitely happened though. And now they're already a month and a half behind.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Io_ posted:

I am looking forward to the space footlong making mini game.

Hmmm, I wonder if sandwich artist falls under hospitality services.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

Aren't you the guy who came to this thread and repeatedly tried to promote your podcast before being laughed off?

Yes that's him in the headphones.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
If goons are gonna eat each other ITT from now on, please remember:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Calling someone a oval office is ok but it's too easy, I compared sandis face to an arthritic spine once, mix it up man.

Also lol if ManofManyAnuses unironically is Toast. Like, seriously. I would laugh so hard at that being true, I might need new sides.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

2DCAT posted:

When did that happen? I mentioned it, what once? And since I've been here since the original thread...no. Nice try though.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Dear Thread,

Please can this thread stay on topic of the failings of Star Citizen and the creation of the game. The last few hours I hope have allowed you gather your thoughts and agree with me that all drama concerning posters of this thread's real lives (no matter who the poster is) are unnecessary when the game itself has enough comedy going for it already. This thread is for Star Citizen, CIG and the Star Citizen forums.

Any drama concerning anyone's real life, name, career and past that is brought up for the sole purpose of trying to defame or harass will face probation. There will be no extra warning other than this.

I will be reading and following along with the thread, and if I miss anything of this nature then please report it so that it may be acted upon.

Thank you kindly,
VideoGames

You could have reopened the thread before I turned my arms into ribbons just to mask the pain of withdrawal. Look what you made me doooooooo. :emo:

VenusRedux
Oct 5, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Wait, FrankieGoes is Sandi? I'm having trouble keeping track. Quick poll: who in this thread does not work for CIG?

I have it on good authority that FrankieGoes is indeed Sandi.

It's all coming out.

2 WEEKS

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

2DCAT posted:

Nope. That was BluestreakBHTR. Redux couple, here, wrote a blog about Star Citizen and once upon a time got a lot of CIG white knights mighty pissy at them.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It still boggles my mind to think that a game thats still like 3 years away from release has a loving weeks long queue to get tickets resolved. Why are there so many tickets there in the first place?

If you never answer tickets, they tend to build up.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Jon Do posted:

sometimes i feel like people who havent been goons for years, certain subtexts get missing; not to single you out, i've been trying to figure out a way to condense almost 20 years of how this community came to be the way it is:

at some point this was a forum that was mostly regarding a gaming-centric comedy website. that website was, iirc, best known for IRC pranks. "pak chooie unf", i believe, was a much younger lowtax making fun of a literal child.

the forum really blew up off photoshops, and a lot of the comedy developed around "here is one topic or joke, turn it into a better one". this, among other things, like our elitist nature, drove a lot of posting to be cyclical, iirc as early as 2000:

1) someone makes fun of someone

2) 8,000 people who aren't actually funny post new jokes that really amount to rehashed old ones, hoping for laughs. they don't really have the balls to call anyone out, they just wait until it is marked okay by the community

3) one or two of them of them are actually funny

and thus the tradition of bandwagons of people trying to rehash jokes and make fun of targets already deemed acceptable was born, because everyone wants to be the guy from step 3.

a lot of guilds in video games were based around doing this all day every day in places that are not SA

Thank you for clarifying it. Does make sense.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
oh yeah my point about the forums was that at some point your number comes up and people bandwagon to make fun of you

and the key is to not get angry or lash out, and definitely not to be passive aggressive.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

When did that happen? I mentioned it, what once? And since I've been here since the original thread...no. Nice try though.

Original thread was way before oct 2015

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

Actually, nah - that was BluestreakBHTR.

That's the guy who got an email from Sandi with a screenshot of one of his posts here saying "Is this you?" right?

For some reason I mix these guys up all the time too. I can only imagine it's because both their names begin with "B" and I am illiterate.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Io_ posted:

If you never answer tickets, they tend to build up.

They need to outsource CS to the backers like they did QA.

VenusRedux
Oct 5, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

Nice meltdown.

FYI: "nuh uh, my long lovely boring posts about Derek weren't endless because I also made long lovely boring posts about other subjects" isn't the greatest argument I've ever heard.

K

How about suck my loving oval office, bitch boy? Let's see what kind of crying we get out of you now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jon Do posted:

oh yeah my point about the forums was that at some point your number comes up and people bandwagon to make fun of you

and the key is to not get angry or lash out, and definitely not to be passive aggressive.

Quite frankly, this thread sees a lot of people come in from outside of SA and I get the feeling a lot of them are quite taken aback that things can get well...kinda goony in here too. As in, quite upfront and honest.

Speaking of which...Ben's fat.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

TTerrible posted:

Original thread was way before oct 2015

Fair enough. The Beer thread.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

2DCAT posted:

I think that was a different dude with his interweb thingy in his user name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

stinch posted:

Having netcode that bad is completely normal for a big budget title this far into development.

Effort Post incoming...

Just recently Chris Roberts said they are "re-factoring" the server and client net-code. At this point CIG does not have a network solution and will most likely not have one in the near future. What they have is the standard CryEngine network stack and server slightly modified (read hacked) to support a few more players.

We also heard they are sending Megabytes of data to the clients which in turn means they have not even started to optimize the serialization of their objects which is frightening to say the least.

Since they have not even started with persistence they do not have any infrastructure or server code for that either. The only thing they have is an account database for the web users which might be re-usable for the login server but most certainly not for the MMO account server.

People think making a MMO is hard because of all the content and the size. That is unfortunately not true. You can throw a ton of artists and level designers at a project without running into much of a problem, given your workflow and management is competent. They will create your art and content effortlessly when directed by professionals. Content creation scales really well in that regard.

Programming does not scale well at all even with stellar management. Especially not specialized tasks like networking or engine optimization. You can't throw 20 programmers at it, it will only slow things down. These are 1-3 man team efforts by highly qualified developers. Every code monkey can write you a quick sort but can they write you a quick sort in ASM that uses only 64 kilobytes and sorts through gigabytes of data in seconds? You get the idea.

The hardest part for CIG will be to get a stable and fast network architecture up and running. Typical MMO network architecture is extremely complex.

1. Web facing Firewall and Proxy(s)
2. Load balancing servers that spread the traffic to available login servers.
3. Login and account servers with Account Database and Backup Account Database servers.
4. Dispatch servers that hand off clients to the area server manager depending on where the players are.
5. Area Server Manager that dispatches the clients to instances.
6. World, NPC and Item Database plus Backups.

That is just a broad overview and all of these have to be developed and optimized to work flawlessly together under high load. They need to be written from scratch since every game is different. You can of cause buy a solution but it will limit you in the long run.

This is as much of a Hardware as it is a Software challenge. Physically setting up those Servers is critical to the overall success. Using cloud solutions is doomed to be a failure unless you are making a simple browser game or similar simple software. You want hundreds of clients at the same time, you better get your hands dirty and set-up those servers in your own network centre.

I have worked as a C++ Tech optimizing source code for network servers, game engines and financial software and i can tell you that i don't see CIG as a company that will be able to deliver anything remotely stable and playable in terms of network performance. Given time, they might tackle it, we are talking 3-4 years here with multiple failed attempts and serious scaling back of the initial promises.

I think they will be out of money and belly up long before we even get to the whole network infrastructure problems.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 14, 2016

• Locked thread