Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

How many more ways can Chris Roberts indirectly harm this man physically?

That's an honest question. I'm guessing 2, maybe 3 max.

e; added persistent immersion procedural bird universe world fidelity satan hitlerbaby

Solarin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
holy gently caress this stream

i dunno why but its cracking me up its just him rooting through his piles of poo poo showing them what everything is

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

this is open development

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

fuctifino posted:

Please archive the twitch stream of Lando coming up on his 'meds' whilst having a rain-man moment showing everything around him.

He has herpes. He bleeds.

Date him.

Really weird stream. No point. Just random crap. https://www.twitch.tv/stoutman_pr

And he's talking about his roommate. toast.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Io_ posted:

Next revision of the Vanduul to resemble eldritch horrors from the deep.

I would SO be down for Call Of Cthulhu: Space Edition.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Something went very weird with an edit and chrome has been acting up. Nothing to see, move along :pgabz:

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 15, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Risc1911 posted:

Effort Post incoming...

Just recently Chris Roberts said they are "re-factoring" the server and client net-code. At this point CIG does not have a network solution and will most likely not have one in the near future. What they have is the standard CryEngine network stack and server slightly modified (read hacked) to support a few more players.

We also heard they are sending Megabytes of data to the clients which in turn means they have not even started to optimize the serialization of their objects which is frightening to say the least.

Since they have not even started with persistence they do not have any infrastructure or server code for that either. The only thing they have is an account database for the web users which might be re-usable for the login server but most certainly not for the MMO account server.

People think making a MMO is hard because of all the content and the size. That is unfortunately not true. You can throw a ton of artists and level designers at a project without running into much of a problem, given your workflow and management is competent. They will create your art and content effortlessly when directed by professionals. Content creation scales really well in that regard.

Programming does not scale well at all even with stellar management. Especially not specialized tasks like networking or engine optimization. You can't throw 20 programmers at it, it will only slow things down. These are 1-3 man team efforts by highly qualified developers. Every code monkey can write you a quick sort but can they write you a quick sort in ASM that uses only 64 kilobytes and sorts through gigabytes of data in seconds? You get the idea.

The hardest part for CIG will be to get a stable and fast network architecture up and running. Typical MMO network architecture is extremely complex.

1. Web facing Firewall and Proxy(s)
2. Load balancing servers that spread the traffic to available login servers.
3. Login and account servers with Account Database and Backup Account Database servers.
4. Dispatch servers that hand off clients to the area server manager depending on where the players are.
5. Area Server Manager that dispatches the clients to instances.
6. World, NPC and Item Database plus Backups.

That is just a broad overview and all of these have to be developed and optimized to work flawlessly together under high load. They need to be written from scratch since every game is different. You can of cause buy a solution but it will limit you in the long run.

This is as much of a Hardware as it is a Software challenge. Physically setting up those Servers is critical to the overall success. Using cloud solutions is doomed to be a failure unless you are making a simple browser game or similar simple software. You want hundreds of clients at the same time, you better get your hands dirty and set-up those servers in your own network centre.

I have worked as a C++ Tech optimizing source code for network servers, game engines and financial software and i can tell you that i don't see CIG as a company that will be able to deliver anything remotely stable and playable in terms of network performance. Given time, they might tackle it, we are talking 3-4 years here with multiple failed attempts and serious scaling back of the initial promises.

I think they will be out of money and belly up long before we even get to the whole network infrastructure problems.

:golfclap: Nicely done. :golfclap:

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

C.R.E.A.M

chris rules everything around me?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

that looks awesome and not at all like a napalm wound.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Lando confirmed goon - now talking about goons being delightful

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Shitpost hard, friends. We must make several pages distance away from Ben Lesnick's poor life choices before the sadness overwhelms us.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

"Breaking News - Goon murdered by someone who totally 110% is a different guy than the Goon next in line to own awesome dog..."

"who is dead, because he had a tragic accident after a meeting with the Goon next in line after him to own awesome dog. Wafflz proved the need for new home safety Federal regulations after falling on a knife 47 times, said anonymous sources from OSHA and DHS."

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
lando is so jittery and poo poo, is he on coke

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
i asked if star citizen was out yet, got deleted and i cant talk anymore. stream looks loving boring as gently caress, old creepy dude with lovely toys from mexico and some girl trying too hard, i dont get it. then again, i dont know anything about twitch development.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Look man, you and your wife are part of a select and elite group of posters that nobody wants around. You add nothing by coming here and throwing your obviously massive lack of dick around and trying to defend your imagined e-honor or whatever. Please go away for a bit and come back if and when you get better at this

Dude, seriously, just let it rest already. You are so busily calling the InfoRedux people dicks, you are rapidly heading into Mandingo dick territory.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

cool disco said he still trusts eightace

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Happy Sisyphus posted:

C.R.E.A.M

chris rules everything around me?

dolla dolla bills, mates

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Colostomy Bag posted:

How does that meet fire code?
As long as they meet the IBC requirements for access-controlled egress doors and horizontal sliding doors as part of a means of egress, they're fine.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Something could be done with Chris pressing the button, but I'm out of ideas

I, too, dream of spaceteabagging. And Halo's fidelity was so poor it ruined my immersion.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

WELP

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Hey Chris this will really wow those investors.

Chris imagining himself with a group of big money of investors, walking down the hall. Stopping before the sliding door he says, "And this, gentlemen, is where dreams are made" and they step in and are amazed with how into it they are and buy into the dream and throw garbage bags of money at him.

I'm almost 99% sure some variation of that is why those doors exist.

edit: Basically willy wonka, he wants to be willy wonka

I was thinking about that the other day and I really think that's what the whole LA office is for. How many whales have taken tours of the office? All that restoration hardware, the wall murals, and stupid doors are there to re-assure the idiots into spending more cash.

Duckaerobics fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 15, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ha HA!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
this is legit the best stream they have ever done

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

hakimashou posted:

this is legit the best stream they have ever done

:same:

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

is it just me or does jared just like say random inane things as if hes stating life principles?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

ewe2 posted:

Ooh now a talking heads cover I could do NO NOT PSYCHO KILLER THAT'S TOO EASY. You want the parps to surprise you, not to be the only joke.

edit:

I'll take it under consideration. I've actually been considering Social Disease which is a lot closer to the kind of thing I'm after. Other ideas floating around: Dead Parps Don't Talk by Brian Eno, Airlock (Snail Shell, TMBG).

I dunno man "Immersion Killer" sounds pretty good...

Two more because I'm :gay: for Talking Heads - and no title change required!

Found a Job

Slippery People

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Goobs posted:

lando is so jittery and poo poo, is he on coke

What do you think pops out of that 2000$ coffee machine?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So going back to serverchat some interesting bits from 2013 which I think I linked to a while back but didn't know/care about this shithole then

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/17417/ask-our-network-programmer-tom-sawyer

Back in 2013 they did an IamA type-interview with their senior network developer Tom Sawyer. Seems he still works there but it's amazing how issues known 3 years ago are still around today. His resume is extremely versed in video game network design so I don't doubt his capabilities one bit however it's most likely cryengine rearing it's ugly head.

Some tidbits to take away from the thread:

The player hosted dedicated servers (as it stands now) is CryNetwork's out-of-box solution which is currently set to 24-32. We internally run this both under Win32 and Linux and have tested 16 player dogfights at this time.

--

quote:

I'm speaking from the background of beta-testing Mechwarrior Online which also uses the CryEngine3... Have you been made aware that one of the biggest issues that was presented to the PGI team was the interfacing of the network code to the CryEngine3. Rubber banding and hit-box recognition were big stumbling blocks in the progression of the beta.

I'll make it a point to jump into MWO. I'll run wireshark to get an idea of what sort of data they are transmitting up/down. Does the game still have a lot of banding taking place? (i.e. you move around, but the server stalled, so you warp back to a pervious location).

My personal preference is to use a distributed physics model with a global timebase - and hook up with a physics programmer and get broadcast schedulers finely tuned based on player count. But out of the box the CryNetwork behaves slightly different for this. More on this later.

There's other stuff but I'll go off the deep end on technobabble which will fall on deaf ears but the main takeaway is there's a TON of problems that existed as far back as 2013 that have yet to be resolved network-wise. I don't doubt Tom has the abilities to be an amazing engineer but I do doubt cryengine provides the capabilities to overcome the bullshit. It's now 2016 and they still have only reached 24? players I think in a PTU instance which means they still aren't even capable of hitting the theoretical max players DEFAULT of cryengine (32) and that the physics was complete garbage for network. At this point if they haven't abandoned crynetwork and had Tom write some abortion of a server from scratch it's going to be another 3 years until the code is rewritten to be remotely usable in a "high fidelity" non-instanced mmo

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

'i have no need for fantasy, i make my life what i want it to be'

like i get that he's sort of being sarcastic but he sounds like a wad

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
He has dunked on Stoutman a few times and a few times on the other people in the chat. It's kind of hilarious. He's lost his mind entirely.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
disco on star citizen:

"I don't play it because its not fun"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
"I suck at Star Citizen. I don't play it because it's not fun." - Disco Lando, 4/15/16

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

hakimashou posted:

disco on star citizen:

"I don't play it because its not fun"

:same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same:

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

"I suck at Star Citizen. I don't play it because it's not fun." - Disco Lando, 4/15/16

:agreed:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

Who was the other poster Derek accused of being a CIG employee a while back. Was it Samizdata? It was so random.

If so, I must have totally missed it. :confused:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

moveable shape posted:

I dunno man "Immersion Killer" sounds pretty good...

Two more because I'm :gay: for Talking Heads - and no title change required!

Found a Job

Slippery People

Also excellent ideas.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

community manager for a game says he doesn't play the game because the game isn't fun

amazing

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

look at that commlink, and all of that bullshit

look at them eat it

i guess it tastes real gooood

• Locked thread