Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

inthesto posted:

Does the default layout still put P under K

I will never get over that poo poo

It makes sense from a button strength/priority perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Good op.

Motivates me to get some good stick art so I can pollute the first page with a hitbox.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

inthesto posted:

It's an arc that starts at your thumb and moves across your hand gdi

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU1fj4NyKsY

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

inthesto posted:

I bet you play box instead of neogeo layout for kof

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2FdjP60FO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3H9Ouv-L4

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I decided to give Skullgirls a go tonight and I've had a lot of fun going through the tutorials. They're so well done!

What's the recommended team size for beginners? I've never played a team-based game before so learning 3 chars at once is overwhelming, but if I'm willing to try if it's the best way to learn.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

giogadi posted:

I decided to give Skullgirls a go tonight and I've had a lot of fun going through the tutorials. They're so well done!

What's the recommended team size for beginners? I've never played a team-based game before so learning 3 chars at once is overwhelming, but if I'm willing to try if it's the best way to learn.

Start with one character first. After you are very familiar with the ins and outs of them, then worry about adding another character.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
2 is the easiest size by which to learn the game, since you don't have to care about assist order but you don't have to learn the solo-exclusive mechanics. For the most part, you have to go out of your way to pick a bad team (there are mainly bad assists but almost every team combination can win consistently) and solos are totally viable.

The only "gotcha" things to point out are that Fukua's H Drillationship is the only move in the game which has different properties as an assist (it loses 99% of its invuln). The recommended assists for each character are up-to-date with popular player choices and instructional choices, although most players use custom assists for one reason or another. Which characters are you learning? Who is clicking with you?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

If you're the type of nerd who cares, the TE2+ pcb is slightly faster than the TES+ and is the fastest option out there as far as I know with the exception of the PS360 pcb which still has the 8 minute lockout thing on PS4.

On the other hand, it's the difference between 2.5ms (2+) and 5ms (S+), which isn't anywhere near perceptible unless your brain is superhumanly fast and able to notice one sixth of a frame in lag. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 15, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Mintergalactic posted:

taunt and your 4 favorite normals

P is for Pussies

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

On the other hand, it's the difference between 2.5ms (2+) and 5ms (S+), which isn't anywhere near perceptible unless your brain is superhumanly fast and able to notice one sixth of a frame in lag. :v:

It adds up

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Which is sturdier, the Hori fighting commander 4 or the Mad Catz Fightpad Pro?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

interrodactyl posted:

I bet you play box instead of neogeo layout for kof

And for Last Blade 2 I use

ABC
D

:negative:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Which is sturdier, the Hori fighting commander 4 or the Mad Catz Fightpad Pro?

The hori. See also the fightpad pro sucks rear end in every way.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WACeJpXEq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL0oeGCMv80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Ec6a2hFV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj37uVZphXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKYAayVY48

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWLKT0RH0s

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Hey new fighting game thread

I've been on a real SNK fighting game kick lately with King of Fighters XIV on the horizon. I barely have any idea where to start, though I do know that almost everything I would need could be found on Wii Virtual Console (save for things like Garou, KoFXI, CvS2, and KoF98UM). I do have KoFXIII for 360 but I've touched it all of once and don't have any desire to pick it back up unless there's some neat story mode things I could check out (and at this point I would gladly trade in the 360 version for the PS3 version anyways).

Any good SNK fight game suggestions from you guys? Anything from KoF to Fatal Fury is appreciated.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
A lot of goons in this thread are down on it, but I'll still plug Last Blade 2 as a really good game. Once you get over the power vs speed mode hump (and really it's mostly just links vs chain combo mode), the game is fairly simple but still has a lot going on in it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
KoF02 UM is a fun game with one of my favorite FG characters in it. I recommend playing some of the old rear end Fatal Fury games too even if they're p old, it's always fun to see GEESE's origins.

I'd also recommend Maximum Impact because of how loving stupid it is, but that's not one I'd recommend for anything other than Schadenfreude. Ikari Warriors, Art of Fighting, basically if an old game has characters from later KoF games in it then I'd say play it to at least get familiar with character origins.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't play Samsho

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Baal posted:

I'd also recommend Maximum Impact because of how loving stupid it is, but that's not one I'd recommend for anything other than Schadenfreude.

I saw Best Friends play Maximum Impact 2 and I'm pretty sure that's all I need to know about Maximum Impact.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're good then, yeah

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I loving love how stupid the melodrama at the end of Maximum Impact 2 is. You see Soiree's ghost and you think he's dead, but he just got kidnapped to become evil but Alba is loving devastated over nothing and it's hilarious.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Any good SNK fight game suggestions from you guys? Anything from KoF to Fatal Fury is appreciated.

Kizuna Encounter!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Baal posted:

Don't play Samsho

I can never keep straight which ones I've played, but some of them were/are fun enough for just messing around. Not the newest ones though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno I've just never enjoyed a Samsho, 5 with the Fire Arm dude is the closest I got, but I still couldn't get into it

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kizuna Encounter!

Kizuna Encounter looks awesome but I don't have a Neo Geo and it looks stupid rare to find either way.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see what I can do when I get my next paycheck.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

giogadi posted:

I had a lot of fun learning with Parasoul/Valentine as a 2 person team.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Something else to keep in mind, there are like 2000 possible team comps so there's room for experimentation.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks for all the responses about learning Skullgirls. I'm still going through each character's introductions in the tutorial room, but so far I'm most interested in Filia and Cerebella. I haven't tried Fukua yet but if I like her I might replace Filia (Cerebella owns too hard to replace). I think I'll opt for a 2 person team since the assists and such seem to be such a core part of this game.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
So if I want to check out Guilty Gear, should I just wait for Revelator to come out in June? I'd get SIGN but I dunno if I want to drop 30 bucks with a new game coming out so soon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say just pre-order Revelator on the PSN Store and get the demo so you can play the game two months in advance otherwise yeah just wait til june

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If you preorder Revelator right now (if you do it from the EU store you won't be charged until a bit before release) you get access to a demo which is essentially the offline arcade version of the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dragon enthusiast posted:

If you preorder Revelator right now (if you do it from the EU store you won't be charged until a bit before release) you get access to a demo which is essentially the offline arcade version of the game.

Yeah its really polished too. All chars but 1 have full story modes, the new stick tracker in training is a godsent for figuring out why you are blowing moves, and the new stages and camera angles they added have it looking better than -sign- ever did

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Technically those are arcade story modes, and there will be a cinematic animated story mode with no gameplay on release because everyone knows you buy these games for the deep lore.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

Technically those are arcade story modes, and there will be a cinematic animated story mode with no gameplay on release because everyone knows you buy these games for the deep lore.

4 hours of barely animated slow panning anime conversations are my jam

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

They get me sexually excited

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

this doesn't sound like cloudberry at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001