Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Yeah, how did Blaine become a crack shot? Did I miss a part where he ate the same mercenary brains that Liv and Major ate (or is he completely cured now)? I remember him being a devious and dangerous guy, but never a stone-cold killer or even adept with guns.

In his first episode he kills those two henchmen in a car who were going to take him to see Mr. Boss. He does it fast enough that neither of them have time to react, despite being bad guys.

Chokes McGee posted:

I think what you mean is

:colbert:

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I got that impression as well. Maybe it didn't mean anything, but I won't be surprised if he turns out to be getting his memories back.

I feel like you all are missing the obvious fact that Blaine really was faking the memory loss the entire time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hangedman1984 posted:

I feel like you all are missing the obvious fact that Blaine really was faking the memory loss the entire time.

I don't know. He was really good at being meek when Donny was ordering him around. I'm not sure Blaine could manage passively following orders for weeks like that.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Gifs? GIFS!

RIP Rob Thomas

Almost RIP Clive

RIP Dude's Hand

SUP

RIP Rita

RIP Chief

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Whoever came up with the line, " This is how a skull breaks" deserves a raise.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I thought Rob Thomas did a nice little acting job there. :3:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought it was a pretty dope character moment when Clive just straight up torpedoed both cases, no hesitation, the second he found out the real story.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

zoux posted:

I thought it was a pretty dope character moment when Clive just straight up torpedoed both cases, no hesitation, the second he found out the real story.

Especially since his career has been in the shitter since before the show began. The man basically gave up everything.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

And then kept his loving mouth shut, too.

...which isn't that hard given how implausible the situation was but is still impressive (and Dale's not stupid, she could have put the pieces together with the right mindset).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Combed Thunderclap posted:

And then kept his loving mouth shut, too.

...which isn't that hard given how implausible the situation was but is still impressive (and Dale's not stupid, she could have put the pieces together with the right mindset).

Yeah, but she's a federal agent, and not friends with any of the zombies. That much more likely to do the right thing and call in the CDC, which would ruin the show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HopperUK posted:

I thought Rob Thomas did a nice little acting job there. :3:

I knew exactly what was gonna happen when someone other than him was singing off camera there, still loved it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chief could possibly survive this! He's been shot in the head before.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Oasx posted:

Blaine has done much worse and everyone just seems ignore it. Rita was a pretty horrible person so i understand why they didn't like her, it just seemed out of character for both Major and Liv to be so callous about her death.
Blaine has (or had, prior to his memory loss) leverage, though, in that he was keeping a full-scale zombie apocalypse from breaking out by virtue of his steady supply of brains.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think my favorite part of the episode is the zombie popping out of the vent and getting shot instantly, and then a scene transition, and then it comes back and now there's 8 or 9 zombies piled up below the open vent

overall though, i think it was a lot weaker than the end of the first season. and not just because matchbox 20 can't hold a candle to der kommisar, either, although that certainly doesn't help. there were just too many plot threads that were either ignored or hastily tied off without any closure. i expect my final opinion will depend on the first few episodes of the next season and whether they really just wrote dale off the show entirely

that being said i appreciate that clive made it through all those plot twists without being zombified, and it's cool to see a tv show get enough budget to do some proper full blown shootouts and action scenes. most of the shows i watch, even ostensibly heavy action ones, end up looking seriously shlocky next to any action movie, but izombie actually somehow measures up

muscles like this? posted:

he'll get a second eyepatch just for his forehead

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DolphinCop posted:

there were just too many plot threads that were either ignored or hastily tied off without any closure.

Like what?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

xerxus posted:

Rob Thomas said in some interview that they had to compress some storylines since they were planning for a back 9 pickup instead of 6.

Sounds like the joys of television production is what's causing most of the issues people are having, then.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Chief and Gilda will both survive :unsmith:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Yeah, how did Blaine become a crack shot? Did I miss a part where he ate the same mercenary brains that Liv and Major ate (or is he completely cured now)? I remember him being a devious and dangerous guy, but never a stone-cold killer or even adept with guns.

Besides what the others said, there was also the finale of season 1. He took down a person who just killed 6 of his men while shouting one liners. From Blaines perspective, Major must have been goddamn terrifying, but he kept calm. And at some point he also killed some of his subordinates when they considered diversifying their portfolio.
I guess a person who's ruthless enough to start a professional people butchery, while also making potential customers addicts, wouldn't really have problems killing anybody.

Everyone is always so chummy with him, so you could forget it, but Blaine is an absolute monster and probably even worse than DuClark. There really couldn't be a redemption arc for him. And even if his amnesia is real, he seems a little to calm about hearing who he used to be.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
A detail of Blaine that I love. We know that zombies can go all rarr red-eye from an adrenaline rush. Liv's done it when injured. Lowell did it while skydiving and he had to quit playing music because the rush brought it on. In season 1 we see Blaine commit brutal vicious murder, we see him stabbed, we see him shot, and the only time he goes full zombie aside from early on starvation, the only thing that gets his heart pumping, is when he's gloating over Liv just before she sticks him with the cure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Blaine's a cold sociopath. He's terrifying the more you think about him, and the "he never goes full zombie even though he's constantly in stressful situations" is a really good point. Blaine's in control and he's just done all this evil poo poo total calm and rationally.

I don't know what I think about his memory loss. He was definitely seeming more Blaine like that last episode but I don't know why the real Blaine would have bothered trying to save Peyton, or really what he would have gained from this whole scam and hanging around the funeral home/morgue this whole time. If Blaine is cured and trying to hide than he should have got out of town, not hang out in all the places and with all the people Mr, Boss knows about. Unless he's not cured and is faking it to maintain access to brains?

But none of this really makes sense and occams razor says he's just cured with no memory.

Rita was pretty drat evil too. She was complicit with all the stuff Max was including the human experimentation and serial killing thing. She was just hot and less crazy than Max. But it's sort of another Blaine thing where Max may have been nuts but Rita was just coldly evil and didn't give a gently caress. That kind of makes her scarier.

So I'm not surprised that Liv and Major were unphased that she was one of the dozens of people who died that night because they were raging zombies. Even without the merc brain.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know what I think about his memory loss. He was definitely seeming more Blaine like that last episode but I don't know why the real Blaine would have bothered trying to save Peyton, or really what he would have gained from this whole scam and hanging around the funeral home/morgue this whole time. If Blaine is cured and trying to hide than he should have got out of town, not hang out in all the places and with all the people Mr, Boss knows about. Unless he's not cured and is faking it to maintain access to brains?

But none of this really makes sense and occams razor says he's just cured with no memory.
They told him at great length who he was. It's possible he's decided that if everyone thinks he's a monster already that he may as well act like one too.

I'm looking forward to the follow-up next season on the zombie sex slave.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gobbeldygook posted:

They told him at great length who he was. It's possible he's decided that if everyone thinks he's a monster already that he may as well act like one too.

I'm looking forward to the follow-up next season on the zombie sex slave.

I mean, I figure it's more like new Blaine is genuinely ashamed by the guy he apparently was and how much pain and hate he caused so when people get hurt because of him he just decides to do something about it and the "muscle memory" kicks in.

And true, I forgot about the MIA lady from Major's victims. That has to be a dangling plot thread for a reason besides just making Major's life more miserable.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Also, whatever happened with Blaine's dad? That plot line just kind of petered out.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

JT Smiley posted:

Also, whatever happened with Blaine's dad? That plot line just kind of petered out.

I think he was the unlucky one in the other cage that was romaro zombie already.
Also, did anyone else catch that the lab guy said "who wants to try cure #3?" There was one person in the other cage. Did cure #1 just straight up kill the first person they tried it on? Then cure #2 didn't kill the subject but cause him to become a romaro zombie?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

I just love the fact that Chief and Don E decided to start a band.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oasx posted:

Also Don E using a banjo to explain emotional situations to Chief while he nods along sagely.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Nullsmack posted:

I think he was the unlucky one in the other cage that was romaro zombie already.
Also, did anyone else catch that the lab guy said "who wants to try cure #3?" There was one person in the other cage. Did cure #1 just straight up kill the first person they tried it on? Then cure #2 didn't kill the subject but cause him to become a romaro zombie?

No, Major gave Blaine his dad as part of their deal. So presumably Blaine either froze or killed him after making a message proving he wasn't dead yet.

Presumably the first cure went to the missing prostitute. Major saw the only female romero, and he would have recognized her, so it's a dangling thread.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

The zombie prostitute wanted to die, so it's not unlikely she volunteered to be the first subject and bit it :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume Blaine and his crew killed his dad. I never even gave that a second thought. Wasn't our last shot of him them all standing over him with power tools?

I suppose I'm willing to believe that Blaine is twisted enough that he just dismembered his dad and left his zombified head in a hole somewhere.

FoxTerrier posted:

The zombie prostitute wanted to die, so it's not unlikely she volunteered to be the first subject and bit it :(

Maybe but they made a point of (a) showing the other really gruesome lab experiments failures in the other cages and (b) having Major ask about her and the prisoners saying that they took her away and hadn't seen her again. So its possible she just died off camera and its meaningless but then why bring it up in the finale as a mystery? That just seems like a clear foreshadow to me. Otherwise why open the question?

My best guess is that you're right, she volunteered and got one of the first tests but that it had unexpected results that we'll learn about in S3.

Oasx posted:

I love that Don E's motivation for becoming a zombie seemed to almost be less about immortality and more about learning cool new skills and tricks through brain eating.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Sucks if Natalie is dead, I kinda liked she had good chemistry with Major's actor.

Also yeah I guess they just kinda cut to black on Blaine's dad. Also after Candy gets zombified there isn't really anything to say about that and she never appears again.

I'm guessing the PMC mercs that showed up to Vaughn's office at the end were also zombies. Gonna suck for Peyton and Ravi and Clive though, those not zombies. I guess she's gonna be the big bad moving forward. Someone who wants to build a zombie empire on Seattle and maybe making zombies pick sides. Although she has a PMC behind her so hell she could probably just declare independence and fight off the US Army.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Episode was great but I think unceremoniously disposing of Rita was the wrong move.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 15, 2016

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
iirc, one of the other prisoners specifically mentioned that she was taken away by the "guy with the tattoes" aka the guy whose hand they cut off to gain access. I'm kinda guessing that next season Major will be munching on his brains to find her.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Lycus posted:

Episode was great but I think unceremoniously disposing of Rita was the wrong move.
As much as I enjoy watching Blaine, it bothers me that despite all the nightmarish things he's done (including forcing women into sex slavery) he gets to be the hero while Rita was, as you say, unceremoniously disposed of.

The fact that it was Major who killed her made it even creepier. I probably should go back and re-watch it but did he at least attempt to help her escape? Part of what bothers me is it came off as if he deliberately left her behind.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Major's story is even creepier if you think about it. If those survivors were saved and still human, he'd still be hated and feared by them because he's their kidnapper. I forgot for a second that they are still Zombies, stuck in the impossible situation of having the charades that were their lives interrupted, making it even more difficult to conceal who they are. Major doesn't even earn a chance to be a savior in their eyes, just continuing to be this dick who made their situations even more intolerable despite trying to do the right thing. He hasn't even broadened his resource network, just expanded the scope of a list of distrusting enemies for himself.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Picklepuss posted:

As much as I enjoy watching Blaine, it bothers me that despite all the nightmarish things he's done (including forcing women into sex slavery) he gets to be the hero while Rita was, as you say, unceremoniously disposed of.

The fact that it was Major who killed her made it even creepier. I probably should go back and re-watch it but did he at least attempt to help her escape? Part of what bothers me is it came off as if he deliberately left her behind.

With anyone that's a zombie in this show you have to cut them slack on how they act based on the brain they're on.

Just like Liv got slack when she was on crazy stripper brain Major should get slack when on hardened mercenary brain.

He was acting more on revenge/ self preservation than on malice towards Rita.

You also have to keep in mind that Rita was one of the people holding the metaphorical gun to Liv's head.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

On the bright side, this season was the big break for Leanne Lapp, the actress who played Rita, and since she played The Snarky Evil Hot One with aplomb maybe now she won't have to go back to made-for-TV movies/"20-something receptionist" roles :unsmith:

Running through IMDB reveals that this is also Rahul Kohli (Ravi)'s big break yay :dance: (the rest of the headlining cast seem to have all had clear moments prior where they broke into showbiz)

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 15, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The main reason I'll miss her is that she was amazing in the role. Same reason Xanthippe was my favorite part of UKS season 1.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

I mean, the setting up a zombie empire in Seattle is a great move since Blaine already turned dozens (probably?) of movers and shakers into zombs. If they agree to go along with this woman, then she already has key people in place in major orgs across the city working for her.

poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of Blaine's shadier/eviler clients that turned her and started putting this in motion awhile ago.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FoxTerrier posted:

I mean, the setting up a zombie empire in Seattle is a great move since Blaine already turned dozens (probably?) of movers and shakers into zombs. If they agree to go along with this woman, then she already has key people in place in major orgs across the city working for her.

poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of Blaine's shadier/eviler clients that turned her and started putting this in motion awhile ago.

I do love how Blaine's business plan was written to be both brilliant (get all the rich and powerful people addicted to a drug only you control, take over the city!) and unbelievably stupid (the rich and powerful will do aaaaaanything to destroy someone who has them under their thumbs, up to and including a suicide mission). It's exactly the kind of plan a low-level drug dealer would come up with: just give everyone drugs and then they'll have to buy from me! :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

FoxTerrier posted:

Perhaps his father?

• Locked thread