Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

I want Tampa to drop death metal in favor of pirate metal.

but... the death metal scene is one of florida's only redeeming qualities!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
tbh i'd listen to pirate metal if it actually came from somalia instead of gated communities

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

tbh i'd listen to pirate metal if it actually came from somalia instead of gated communities
If Botswana can have death metal cowboys, I'm sure Somalia can have pirate metal...pirates.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Authenticity is key.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture posted:

plz dont make fun of the ukranians whose only physical possessions are that of the dilapidated, partially demolished gates that were of their forefathers

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What should I listen to if I'm mostly digging metal on a range of Mastodon to Yob to High on Fire to Monolord. The only thing heavy enough for me this week is super sludgy doomy guitar riffs but I never know what bands to go for considering there are so many popping up recycling boring ideas. Doesn't have to be slow as Ahab but it's gotta sound like something an ancient colossus would listen to while viewing his aquarium of blue whales.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Zebulon Pike
Lair of the Minotaur
Roanoke
Burning Witch
Wo Fat
Khanate
Gnaw
Dragged Into Sunlight

That's at least some stuff beyond the usual recs for sludge/doom/whatever.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

What should I listen to if I'm mostly digging metal on a range of Mastodon to Yob to High on Fire to Monolord. The only thing heavy enough for me this week is super sludgy doomy guitar riffs but I never know what bands to go for considering there are so many popping up recycling boring ideas. Doesn't have to be slow as Ahab but it's gotta sound like something an ancient colossus would listen to while viewing his aquarium of blue whales.

that's a fairly silly request but you might like Shallow Grave for some pretty good Neurosis influenced stuff, Stabat Mater if you like cool funeral doom, Sinistrous Diabolus are excellent death/doom with a bit of sludge in their tone getting into funeral doom territory at times and Beastwars are cool if you like to rock out.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hooded Menace?
Dead Congregation. Seriously, the first three songs on Promulgation of The Fall are some of the best in death metal.
Horrendous?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Bongripper, Old Man Gloom, or Lumbar could work for you.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLlbNUnH1NI

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://youtu.be/QTHXeT8XjrU

Shameless plug of Monolithian, a local band. Bass/vocals and drums duo. Heavy as gently caress, supported Anaal Nathrakh and playing Temples Fest for the 2nd year on the trot this year. They have a few releases out. Sludgy, doomy, groovy, sometimes a little bit black.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 14, 2016

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Pallbearer is an almost perfect combination of those 4 bands.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian
if you care about lyrics in metal at all you are a loving human being

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

saviro posted:

if you care about lyrics in metal at all you are a loving human being

[citation needed]

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

See I always wondered who the Kings of Metal were before I started reading metal lyrics and now I understand...

Wait didn't we have this same loving conversation like 20 pages ago?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vargatron posted:

See I always wondered who the Kings of Metal were before I started reading metal lyrics and now I understand...

Wait didn't we have this same loving conversation like 20 pages ago?
We always have the same conversations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

symbolic posted:

My favourite metal is tungsten

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

symbolic posted:

I discovered metal from my big sister's old mixtapes

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

What the?

He sounds totally out of breath. But he's just standing there in one spot!

Getting old is the worst.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Getting old is the worst.

Treating your body like poo poo and expecting to age gracefully is the worst.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aging gracefully even when you do take care of yourself is pretty hard.

gently caress time.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

gently caress time.

I agree, Wintersun are pretty awful.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gamma Nerd posted:

I agree, Wintersun are pretty awful.

Hey now, Beyond the Dark Sun is a fun song. Every other one, well, not so much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like Blind Guardian. Hansi Kursch has an amazing voice and their music is so ridiculously overblown it goes full circle and becomes awesome again.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like Blind Guardian. Hansi Kursch has an amazing voice and their music is so ridiculously overblown it goes full circle and becomes awesome again.

I have several Blind Guardian albums but whenever I think it's time to check them out a bit more thoroughly I just end up listening to Nightfall in Middle Earth a bunch of times.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Groke posted:

I have several Blind Guardian albums but whenever I think it's time to check them out a bit more thoroughly I just end up listening to Nightfall in Middle Earth a bunch of times.
Replace BG with Helloween and Nightfall in Middle Earth with Keeper of the Seven Keys, and same

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Groke posted:

As much as they do have great songs on other albums, this still isn't such a bad thing because NiME is just that absurdly good.

And now I'm gonna listen to it myself because it's been at least a couple months since the last time, and that is just not acceptable.

AND WE'RE FOLLOWING THE WILL OF THE ONE
THROUGH THE DARK AGE AND INTO THE STORM

:black101:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 15, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think I might like Gamma Ray more than Blind Guardian when it comes to Power Metal.

I know Blind Guardian are meant to be THE definition of amazing Power Metal (which is fair), but there's something about the ridiculousness of Gamma Ray that appeals to me more.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Groke posted:

Somewhere Far Beyond and Imaginations are pretty dope. You should get around to those.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hulk Krogan posted:

Somewhere Far Beyond and Imaginations are pretty dope. You should get around to those.

...but NIME has those wonderfully goofy spoken interludes and of course TIME STANDS STILL AT THE IRON HILL... goddamnit, I'm going to have to put it on, aren't I?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

H13 posted:

I think I might like Gamma Ray more than Blind Guardian when it comes to Power Metal.

I know Blind Guardian are meant to be THE definition of amazing Power Metal (which is fair), but there's something about the ridiculousness of Gamma Ray that appeals to me more.

As much as I love BG, I also can't get enough GR. They're also just so goddamn fun. Also Edguy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Beyond the Red Mirror was such a colossal disappointment after At the Edge of Time. It was as bad as King Diamond following up The Puppet Master with Give Me Your Soul... Please :(

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

H13 posted:

I dunno, as much as I love BG I have a hard time thinking of them as "definitive power metal". They are a bit too much of their own beast.

But I can't fault you for preferring Gamma Ray over them either, because GR are one of the best too. I've actually been revisiting them more and more often lately. And THEY if something are the loving definition of great euro power metal. I love Kai Hansen's vocals, he's surely not a technical virtuoso but there's a whole different kind of edge to his weird gnome voice. And I maintain that when he sings more softly he sounds like a chipmunk Johnny Cash.

Yes.

Vulture Culture posted:

Beyond the Red Mirror was such a colossal disappointment after At the Edge of Time.
Last year was pretty extraordinary for me, as both BG and Nightwish released new albums and neither one made it to my "best of 2015" list. I really tried to like BtRM but I just couldn't get a grip on it. Trying to think back to it now, I can't remember a single goddamn thing from it. :(

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

Last year was pretty extraordinary for me, as both BG and Nightwish released new albums and neither one made it to my "best of 2015" list. I really tried to like BtRM but I just couldn't get a grip on it. Trying to think back to it now, I can't remember a single goddamn thing from it. :(

I actually like it a whole lot. It's like listening to a movie, or am epic fantasy novel.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I actually like it a whole lot. It's like listening to a movie, or am epic fantasy novel.
This was my feel on Nightfall, which was a much better album. (I get that most bands can't do that twice.)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Vulture Culture posted:

This was my feel on Nightfall, which was a much better album. (I get that most bands can't do that twice.)

Well I mean yeah obviously NiME is a much better album, but still I don't get all the hate for BtRM. Although it's not as good as NiME, At the Edge of Time, Somewhere Far Beyond, it's not as bad as A Twist in the Myth.

I think it's a really solid album.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't hate BtRM, it's a pretty nice album and enjoyable to listen to. It still has BG's sweet-rear end wailing guitar tone and everything... but somehow it just feels like it lacks the final something. Like it has no hooks, and it just goes in one ear and out the other, like a teflon otter down a mudslide. I keep going "oh, this is a cool part" when it's playing, but afterwards I just draw a blank when I try to remember what I just heard.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The last BG album I really liked overall was "A Night at the Opera", but I'll keep buying the dang things (and would not at all mind another live album).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I looked on Hells Headbangers site to see if they had CD copies of Profanatica's "Sickened By Holy Host"

They didn't have a CD they released a few years ago.

They have tote bags.

:smithicide: