Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think with Pandorum you can hand wave it away with the idea that whenever the people levels would get too low the main bad guy would just wake more up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Mortanis posted:

Isn't The Mummy Returns the one that has him racing to the pyramid with his son before the sun could strike it, ignoring the fact that a rising sun behind them would mean that the shadows would be moving TOWARD them?
Well, yes, but it's even dumber than that.

They're outrunning the horizon line :eng99:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was loving sad in the Mummy movies when that bitch queen, the one the priest went through all the poo poo for, just leaves him to die. Cause she was a bitch. It's like, gently caress, there is no pleasing some people and some bitches, the world and being resurrected just isn't enough.

About Scarjo being cast as the lead for Ghost in the Shell, can Hollywood just loving admit to whitewashing already?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cowslips Warren posted:

I thought it was loving sad in the Mummy movies when that bitch queen, the one the priest went through all the poo poo for, just leaves him to die. Cause she was a bitch. It's like, gently caress, there is no pleasing some people and some bitches, the world and being resurrected just isn't enough.

About Scarjo being cast as the lead for Ghost in the Shell, can Hollywood just loving admit to whitewashing already?

I thought it was that she was the body but not the soul or something, and that's why she abandoned him when poo poo was getting real. gently caress I can't remember.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cowslips Warren posted:

They have by saying they cast people who are likely to make money

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Mummy will always have a special place in my heart because that lady sure was pretty and she sure was nearly naked.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Mortanis posted:

Isn't The Mummy Returns the one that has him racing to the pyramid with his son before the sun could strike it, ignoring the fact that a rising sun behind them would mean that the shadows would be moving TOWARD them?

something something the three sides of the pyramid

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I thought it was that she was the body but not the soul or something, and that's why she abandoned him when poo poo was getting real. gently caress I can't remember.

There was a super confusing part where she was the actual lady brought back to life but the female lead was her reincarnated?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's an adaptation with a mostly American cast set in America. Did you get indignant when the Chinese version of Blood Simple was set in China and had a Chinese cast or when the Japanese adaptation of Unforgiven was set in Japan and had Japanese actors?

Besides, it's series about a future where people can download themselves into whatever bodies they want so the appearance of the characters is even more irrelevant. If it makes you feel better, just imagine that ScarJo is your japanese waifu and she downloaded herself into a filthy 3d caucasian body moments before the movie started.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

There was a super confusing part where she was the actual lady brought back to life but the female lead was her reincarnated?

In The Mummy the titular character confuses the female lead with his lost love and tries to summon her soul into the leads body. In Return turns out the female lead is actually some other character the mummy should recognize. Absolutely no attempts are made to explain how the mummy could ever mistake the two.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mister Nobody posted:

Absolutely no attempts are made to explain how the mummy could ever mistake the two.

I think he's just dumb. I like how during the final confrontation in The Mummy, he basically just stands in the middle of the room doing nothing while all three main characters are running around casting spells to remove his immortality and killing his girlfriend.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Also, Mummy Returns had an egyptian sai fight.

That, in itself, should let you know that it is not a movie to expect to take seriously.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Guy Mann posted:

It's an adaptation with a mostly American cast set in America. Did you get indignant when the Chinese version of Blood Simple was set in China and had a Chinese cast or when the Japanese adaptation of Unforgiven was set in Japan and had Japanese actors?

Besides, it's series about a future where people can download themselves into whatever bodies they want so the appearance of the characters is even more irrelevant. If it makes you feel better, just imagine that ScarJo is your japanese waifu and she downloaded herself into a filthy 3d caucasian body moments before the movie started.

They're using computers to make Johanssen look like an Asian woman, so they're just being pieces of poo poo who don't want to hire an Asian actor.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
That I can't think of the right words to search for this iconic LA area house from TV and movies. It's one story, all white concrete and glass walls, and surrounds a pool set in the deck, which juts out over the canyon below. They specifically use it in the first two episodes of season 7 of Archer. There is no privacy in the bedroom from the living room.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Inco posted:

They're using computers to make Johanssen look like an Asian woman, so they're just being pieces of poo poo who don't want to hire an Asian actor.

Really? They're changing her race with CGI? That sounds... hard to believe? But I'd also love for it to happen just to see the reaction.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

kizudarake posted:

That I can't think of the right words to search for this iconic LA area house from TV and movies. It's one story, all white concrete and glass walls, and surrounds a pool set in the deck, which juts out over the canyon below. They specifically use it in the first two episodes of season 7 of Archer. There is no privacy in the bedroom from the living room.

Stahl House 22?
http://stahlhouse.com/

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Really? They're changing her race with CGI? That sounds... hard to believe? But I'd also love for it to happen just to see the reaction.

Screen Crush stands by the claims from their sources. At this point with all the bad press this movie's getting I'd be surprised if this film does well at all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I actually enjoy the Producers musical remake despite it's flaws but there's one line that always throws me off - near the end of the movie it's revealed that While Leo and Ulla were in Reno after betraying Max, they got married. The reason given is that Leo wouldn't have sex with Ulla until they were. The Judge considers Leo a 'schmuck' for that behaviour, but bear in mind - Ulla agreed to marry him. She could have had anyone without needing to be tied down because she is incredibly attractive, but she apparently found Leo so irresistable that she agreed to marry him so she could do him. Just how desirable is this so-called schmuck? I personally think the judge was having sour grapes. :P

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

I looked at that, and it's close, but the concrete slab doesn't seem like it goes out enough, and the website makes it seem like it's not been used much, but the family wants it to be.

I could be just confused here, though, and it might be that house that they used as inspiration, and then just did their own thing with it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Cowslips Warren posted:

even disregarding the whitewashing, we've seen her "i'm putting effort into this fighting" expression and that will absolutely not fit the Major.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, Mummy Returns had an egyptian sai fight.

That, in itself, should let you know that it is not a movie to expect to take seriously.
bladed sai fight, no less.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Android Bicyclist posted:

At this point with all the bad press this movie's getting I'd be surprised if this film does well at all.

Even if these completely anonymous unsubstantiated claims that have been actively denied by the studio are true, "all the bad press this movie's getting" amounts to an incredibly small group on the internet getting mad.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

God Hole posted:

Speaking of dumb movies based in Egypt, one of the things that bothered me about the all around terrible found footage horror movie The Pyramid was that in it, the main characters are exploring a newly discovered pyramid that had remained closed for thousands of years, and inside they discover mutant cats that had survived those thousands of years in their closed off ecosystem through cannibalism. Uh are you kidding me. You would run out of cats before even the third generation. Conservation of energy doesn't work like that.

Same thing with the 2009 horror film Pandorum (which despite its faults I actually liked). An interstellar space ship is crewed by and shipping the last remnants of humanity to a new habitable planet until a crazy crew member awakens portions of the human cargo from stasis and rules over them like a king for thousands of years. The humans are forced to cannibalize themselves and mutate into terrible creatures over that period within the space ship, but again, a closed of system like that would never be able to sustain itself for so long. Mammals just aren't that efficient.

Sounds like you'd be interested in these reviews by a meat-processing professional.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Daredevil Season 2 they have the Irish mob and they are all horrifically oirish for example one of their phones plays plastic paddy trad when it rings. Anyways later a a big time Irish boss shows up and they hired a Scottish actor to play him which is even worse than the Americans.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

haha these are pretty great reads, and appropriately tongue-in-cheek. What she needs to do next is pair up with an engineer or an electrician and jointly tackle the unrealistic nightmare of self-sustainability that is The Matrix

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EmmyOk posted:

In Daredevil Season 2 they have the Irish mob and they are all horrifically oirish for example one of their phones plays plastic paddy trad when it rings. Anyways later a a big time Irish boss shows up and they hired a Scottish actor to play him which is even worse than the Americans.

This post just reminded me of Heroes, when one of the characters washed up in Cork harbour, which looked like Brooklyn or something, and every single accent was so painfully laughable that I prayed for death during those episodes

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So Game of Thrones is coming back. I know a lot of poo poo from the books didn't need to be on the show, but Sansa Stark. Ye gods. It's like she took a Stupid Potion between season 4 and 5. She's now going to, again, be forced into marrying into a family that helped slaughter hers. And she goes along with it. She literally just escaped the Lannisters and now is going to marry a Bolton. And somehow she didn't expect to be held a prisoner, or be raped, when that has pretty much been her entire storyline. And again, like before, she's offered a chance out and refuses. This time it just ends with her locked in a tower and used as a brood mare. It's almost, at this point, asking what the gently caress she expected to happen.

Then again a lot of Season 5 just seemed to be slapped the gently caress together and key parts were left out.

Jon Snow's betrayal. But at least in the books it made sense, he was advocating the Watch to support Stannis, which technically violated the Watch laws.

The Sand Snakes poo poo went nowhere. And what the gently caress was the point in sending a one-handed man, known to almost everyone in the drat kingdom, after his niece-daughter? Literally sending anyone else would be better.

Wait, if Jorah has loving grayscale and that passes through touch, doesn't every loving slave and possibly most of Meereen have it now?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

EmmyOk posted:

The gangsters in S1 are also all hilarious stereotypes and I love them for it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wait, if Jorah has loving grayscale and that passes through touch, doesn't every loving slave and possibly most of Meereen have it now?

I think that it only transmits if you touch the scaly part? So as long as nobody goes under his sleeve or whatever he covered it up with, for the time being they're fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

They're all white, same poo poo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

I think that it only transmits if you touch the scaly part? So as long as nobody goes under his sleeve or whatever he covered it up with, for the time being they're fine.

That does make more sense.

I don't remember if they mentioned it in the books, about Shireen's grayscale, but in the show, the fact Stannis her dad made a clear remark it was a Dornish toymaker/seller who brought over some new doll for the baby Shireen means something, I imagine. At least it seemed implied the doll was somehow infected or holding the disease to pass on?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aphrodite posted:

Mods?!

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Android Bicyclist posted:

Screen Crush stands by the claims from their sources. At this point with all the bad press this movie's getting I'd be surprised if this film does well at all.

Oh man, while Im glad they rejected it it would have been amazing to see. If that test footage doesnt leak I will be really disappointed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, them too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aphrodite posted:

The Irish white?
Don't be silly. Next you're going to tell me the Italians, the Greeks or the Swedish are white.

Everyone knows that the only white people are Germans(but only from the good parts of Germany), the English and maybe the Danes.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Ben Franklin was of the opinion that the only really white white people were the English and the Saxons. gently caress the rest of those "swarthy" Germans, according to him.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Just re-watched the two Mummy movies thanks to this thread. I'm not sure how someone can like the first one and hate the second. They are the same thing. In some ways Returns is even more fun and a lot of the bad effects and dumb parts add to the charm. There's nothing that much dumber in the second one than the first, either. They are both playful and stupid. If anything the second one is more fun because of how silly it is. I mean at one point a guy reaches into a hole and pulls out a skeleton hand, that owns. The actor who plays the Mummy also acts the gently caress out of his final moments in Returns.

The only thing I saw wrong with the sequel was "repeat the first movie, but BIGGER" syndrome. Mummy 2 is great. Brendan Frasier deserved a better career.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I LOVED the Mummy Returns when it came out back when I was 10.

I do not feel the same way anymore.

Anyway the Mummy has aged well and is a fun film to watch. But holy gently caress is Mummy 3 bad. I never saw it in theaters and only caught it randomly on TV a few years later. It is absolutely nonsensical. And Deus Ex Yeti.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Febreeze posted:

Brendan Frasier deserved a better career.

I've been saying this for years. I can't remember the last actor who was able to be so charming, goofy and funny.

Sadly, he made a few terrible decisions in choice of movie to act in and it pretty much ruined him :(

I actually saw a youtube video which summed it up nicely, I'll see if I can find it again.

EDIT:

Here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flhuCZOAFv8

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Febreeze posted:

Just re-watched the two Mummy movies thanks to this thread. I'm not sure how someone can like the first one and hate the second. They are the same thing. In some ways Returns is even more fun and a lot of the bad effects and dumb parts add to the charm. There's nothing that much dumber in the second one than the first, either. They are both playful and stupid. If anything the second one is more fun because of how silly it is. I mean at one point a guy reaches into a hole and pulls out a skeleton hand, that owns. The actor who plays the Mummy also acts the gently caress out of his final moments in Returns.

The only thing I saw wrong with the sequel was "repeat the first movie, but BIGGER" syndrome. Mummy 2 is great. Brendan Frasier deserved a better career.

Gods and Monsters is such a great movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda peeved that War Machine in Age of Ultron didn't have the big loving glowing club that his Hot Toys figure had.

It looked like it'd be pretty cool, and I was looking forward to him baseball smashing some ultron drones but nope.

Also, apparently we made Netflix start recommending movies cause the first thing that popped up when I started it today? Mummy Returns.