Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Kaglicious posted:

Leeds won, we actually loving won...

Whoever we got Keith Galloway from in the NRL do you guys want him back?

Also the super league is a professional league refereed by amateurs.

Galloway was done 3 years ago, exactly the kind of player that should be a Man of Steel candidate in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011

Smorgasbord posted:

Galloway was done 3 years ago, exactly the kind of player that should be a Man of Steel candidate in the UK?

You'd think so but when he isn't offside on defence he's trying to get a big hit in and keeps going too high. He actually had his best game for us tonight and we won, so maybe he's woken up?

e: by best game I mean he didn't drop the ball at least 3 times.

Kaglicious fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 16, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah, I'm not sad the Tigers let him go, he was becoming more and more of a lumbering liability in his later years with us.

We already have enough of those.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

Yeah, I'm not sad the Tigers let him go, he was becoming more and more of a lumbering liability in his later years with us.

We already have enough of those.

You guys really need to throw money at Matt Gillett. Need something happening in that forward pack because Sironen, Lawrence, Halatau aint gonna get poo poo done. If not Gillett, then Elijah Taylor would be a very good consolation prize.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

You guys really need to throw money at Matt Gillett. Need something happening in that forward pack because Sironen, Lawrence, Halatau aint gonna get poo poo done. If not Gillett, then Elijah Taylor would be a very good consolation prize.

I've heard rumours that we've been chasing Taylor. We could make worse choices. Like the Taylor we already have.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Paasi's try just then would have to be almost the worst piece of defence I've ever seen.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Paasi's try just then would have to be almost the worst piece of defence I've ever seen.

Come on now you watch the Tigers every week and you also saw the Warriors D against the Tigers round 1 this year.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Come on now you watch the Tigers every week and you also saw the Warriors D against the Tigers round 1 this year.

Did you watch it? He crawled five metres to score with someone trying in vain to hold him by his legs and two other defenders just blankly staring at him and not bothering to even try to take him.

I rate that worse than just bad reads or the like, since in this case there was both a terrible failure of strength originally and complete apathy by the other men.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Did you watch it? He crawled five metres to score with someone trying in vain to hold him by his legs and two other defenders just blankly staring at him and not bothering to even try to take him.

I rate that worse than just bad reads or the like, since in this case there was both a terrible failure of strength originally and complete apathy by the other men.

Yeah I saw it, it was great because gently caress St George.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It wasn't perfect though, since I can't use it to say "gently caress Easts". Hopefully we can find a way to wedge that in next time.

Actually, I will anyway. gently caress Easts.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ok am i blind (I am) but which pass was forward in that warriors non-try?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

ok am i blind (I am) but which pass was forward in that warriors non-try?

I hate Perenara so much. Apparently the shovel on from RTS.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

RTS off injured.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

I hate Perenara so much. Apparently the shovel on from RTS.

Which was clearly backwards by a large degree. gently caress Perenara and Badger. The level of reffing at the moment is ridiculous.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
perenara hosed us over in melb too

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Clear knock on missed against the dogs in that intercept attempt

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah refs sweating about the potential upset

edit: match highlight is Reynolds in a fit of impotent rage throwing the ball at his own dummy half for giving him a poo poo pass that he knocked on

edit2: very good win for the boys but very worried about RTS's knee.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 16, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Any idea what a bunch of the broncos were putting under their tongues in the dressing room before this game? Looked like it tasted pretty poo poo, if nothing else.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Probably caffeine strips

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Poor Newcastle, went into the game with a 4 meatslab forwards bench, only to lose their winger, centre and hooker to injury.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we were hosed anyway

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
52-0 and here comes the field goal

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

RTS reported as out for 4 weeks.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Phil gould said at the start of the year that the difference between the top team and bottom team when it came to tpas is at least a million dollars.

Well there was the game between those two sides.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
knights are 2 mill behind the top teams according to recent reports

i'm sure being owned by the nrl is helping

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Phil gould said at the start of the year that the difference between the top team and bottom team when it came to tpas is at least a million dollars.

Well there was the game between those two sides.

What's the solution? Cos stopping tpas is obviously a bad idea.

My vote is for one less Sydney team.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My vote is for chopping off the eastern suburbs and letting them fall into the ocean.

I guess the football team can go, too.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Missed the game but watched the highlights, Knights looked very strong running onto the field at the start

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cpaf posted:

Missed the game but watched the highlights, Knights looked very strong running onto the field at the start
lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Dirty Frank posted:

What's the solution? Cos stopping tpas is obviously a bad idea.

My vote is for one less Sydney team.

Publish what each club has registered in tpas at the start of the year so we can see if its a problem or not as fans. That would be a good starting point.

I honestly dont think the raiders will ever win another comp again. For teams like canberra too much has to go right. It basically means producing a superstar that will happen to stay. When the raiders lost milford it was pretty obvious that its probably never going to happen.

Imagine the knights history if andrew johns signed somewhere else in his first year of footy.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Someone on facebook pointed out how in recent years the Broncos have managed to sign the best player from Canberra, Gold Coast and Newcastle. Depends on your opinion of Darius Boyd but still, that's hosed and not the way it's supposed to work in a hard salary cap environment.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Someone on facebook pointed out how in recent years the Broncos have managed to sign the best player from Canberra, Gold Coast and Newcastle. Depends on your opinion of Darius Boyd but still, that's hosed and not the way it's supposed to work in a hard salary cap environment.

It's exactly the way it's supposed to work in a league where News Ltd owns most of the club.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

It's hard to call it a hard cap when only three clubs have ever been penalised points for breaching it, whereas every year numerous clubs get fined for breaching it. TPAs don't help this.

I'm in favour of all contract information being made public, it makes it more obvious if someone is getting supplementary envelopes.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Just be proactive and dock points from the storm, eels and broncos to save time and effort.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

It's hard to call it a hard cap when only three clubs have ever been penalised points for breaching it, whereas every year numerous clubs get fined for breaching it. TPAs don't help this.

I'm in favour of all contract information being made public, it makes it more obvious if someone is getting supplementary envelopes.

Dogs, Warriors, who was the third?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I dont know if im missing an obvious joke but the storm are the third side

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I dont know if im missing an obvious joke but the storm are the third side

Well they weren't allowed to earn points while they had an illegal roster, not the same as Dogs and Warriors having actual points penalties (and cap reductions) for subsequent years. You know seeing as how the Dogs and Warriors were actually punished for their breaches as opposed to Melbourne being allowed to prosper.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Well they weren't allowed to earn points while they had an illegal roster, not the same as Dogs and Warriors having actual points penalties (and cap reductions) for subsequent years. You know seeing as how the Dogs and Warriors were actually punished for their breaches as opposed to Melbourne being allowed to prosper.

Your right it's not exactly the same, but being condemned to come dead last in 2010 is basically the same thing as points being stripped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
The Storm were technically deducted points earned up until the point of the season when they got busted.

I agree that in terms of roster construction they weren't hit nearly hard enough.

• Locked thread