Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla I think. That one has that subplot about the dude with the weird blood coagulant bullet out for revenge on Godzilla

First time it's brought up is Mechagodzilla '93, where they target it so they can kill Godzilla, which they proceed to do. It's based on a now defunct theory that some dinosaurs like Stegosaurus had an extra brain lower down their spinal chord, but it seems like what Paleontologists were seeing in the fossil record was just a really large bundle of nerves.

I'm pretty stoked about the Anno Zilla, though. Man has been making Kaiju and Ultraman fan films, homages, and parodies longer than I've been alive. He genuinely loves and understands the genre and I can't wait to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Heavy Metal posted:

GMK (2001) is the one where he's a villain with Ghidorah as a good guy etc. Other than that though, Godzilla has not been the villain in most of the movies in the past 20 years. At least he's usually considered the lesser of two evils, and he kicks some other monster's rear end. In Final Wars he kicks a lot of monsters asses.

Godzilla is the villain in both GxMG and Tokyo SOS as well.

Also, on this note, I've rarely been more disappointed in a movie than when I found out GMK was originally envisioned as 'VBA': Varan, Baragon, and Anguirus teaming up to take down Godzilla.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

King Gidorah as a hero in GMK still weirds me out.

Edit: They should make a movie where Godzilla has to team up with KG to defeat a bigger monster, but Godzilla's been holding back a seething contempt for KG. Then, once the threat's been eliminated, Godzilla delivers a Stone Cold Stunner and rips off KG's heads off.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 14, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also, on this note, I've rarely been more disappointed in a movie than when I found out GMK was originally envisioned as 'VBA': Varan, Baragon, and Anguirus teaming up to take down Godzilla.

gotta love how poor Baragon was one of the legendary monsters and they couldn't even namedrop him in the title.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

At least we got Baragon's finest hour in that movie there. drat he's lovable.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I thought GMK had a pretty decent human story.

Final Wars - I really just enjoyed everything about the movie. Its so loud and that opening sequence is so fun.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadowhand00 posted:

I thought GMK had a pretty decent human story.

Final Wars - I really just enjoyed everything about the movie. Its so loud and that opening sequence is so fun.

Those are two of my favs! Humble brag, I got to see both of those in theaters! Brattle theatre in Harvard Square is quite boss. Saw Gojira there too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I'm always fascinated by all the films that Toho ALMOST made with Kaiju. Like, how in the early stages of Godzilla Vs Space Godzilla, it was instead Godzilla vs Bagan, to the point where Toho Studios has a fully built Bagan suit sitting on display, and the Super Nintendo Godzilla game that came out around then still has Bagan as the final baddie.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

My first Godzilla was vs Megalon in the mid 90s when I was like 6 from an old drug store. Imagine my surprise when watched vs Biollante next because the cover was cool.

"What the gently caress is this series?"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I'm always fascinated by all the films that Toho ALMOST made with Kaiju. Like, how in the early stages of Godzilla Vs Space Godzilla, it was instead Godzilla vs Bagan, to the point where Toho Studios has a fully built Bagan suit sitting on display, and the Super Nintendo Godzilla game that came out around then still has Bagan as the final baddie.

And Godzilla's final form was basically space Godzilla with tusks and poo poo instead of crystals. I played that game a ton even though it was really bad.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
I like the way they're using aerial perspective to give a sense of scale to the tail. Like the distance between his head and the tip of his tail is so huge that the tail gets washed out by all the atmosphere in the way. It's something you usually see in distant mountains in a landscape portrait.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Have we considered the possibility that an EVA unit is gonna show up halfway through and this will be Rebuild 3.0 + 1.0 in disguise?

Because I would be OK with that.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The Gareth Edwards Godzilla wasn't bad, but I still feel as though Godzilla's presence wasn't really felt enough for most of the movie. The term "characterization" might work, I suppose. I don't really mind limited screen time for Godzilla, but my favorite movies really give him that indirect characterization and building of tension where we get hints at him and we see the effect his existence has on the world around him. They do this quite well for the MUTOs, but I don't know if they took it for granted that everybody already knows Godzilla or what, but he feels like largely an afterthought outside of the few scenes where he's actually doing something. It's pretty similar to how Starkiller Base is utilized in The Force Awakens, it feels to me like the Edwards Godzilla is a MUTO movie with Special Guest Star Godzilla. I also found Aaron Taylor Johnson's performance very boring, but they had some interesting ideas for that character beyond him being the stock "military guy". Even though it's not my absolute favorite giant monster movie I'm still looking forward to Godzilla vs Kong and the other two sequels.

Anyway, I'm hella excited for Godzilla Resurgence after this trailer. I like the design a lot, I quite like the elements that are similar to Burning Godzilla, though I hope they're there to simply further visually represent his nuclear origins rather than repeating the meltdown plot. I just hope it's not very anime-ish.

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Have we considered the possibility that an EVA unit is gonna show up halfway through and this will be Rebuild 3.0 + 1.0 in disguise?

I quite like how the music in this trailer is practically a 'continuation' of the music in Evangelion 3.0, and how the shot of the tanks' gun turrets turning is straight out of End of Evangelion.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Out of curiosity, I checked and found he appears to be the villain or one of the bad guys in these movies:

Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

So roughly half of the "modern" era. (I'm defining modern as during my lifetime of Godzilla '85 and onward, ha.) It could also just be that I had more of a reaction to some of the more serious portrayals of destruction and fighting in some of those movies, having grown up watching a small handful of relatively playful Showa movies. Stuff like having Godzilla electrocuted so badly by Mechagodzilla that he starts foaming at the mouth and barfing in GvMG2 seems kinda brutal when I'm used to the Super Friends version.

I guess the real take away is I need to watch more Godzilla. :cheers:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

I also found Aaron Taylor Johnson's performance very boring

You only thought that because you weren't paying attention, if you'd watched the movie properly you would have realised it was in fact extremely boring

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yoshifan823 posted:

I would not be okay with that, but I would accept a PenPen the penguin cameo.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Clipperton posted:

You only thought that because you weren't paying attention, if you'd watched the movie properly you would have realised it was in fact extremely boring

I can't believe Gareth Edwards didn't say at some point, "Dude, are you awake? You can emote, I won't get angry."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I can't believe Gareth Edwards didn't say at some point, "Dude, are you awake? You can emote, I won't get angry."

Godzilla '14 and Age of Ultron should definitely be enough to get this dude barred from acting

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
It should be mentioned that Shinji Higuchi, the VFX director, was responsible for arguably the best looking suitmation ever in Gamera 3 and is likely to top himself here. The shot of the tail swinging over the houses in the trailer is spectacular.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Godzilla '14 and Age of Ultron should definitely be enough to get this dude barred from acting

He's Keanu without the awkward physical charisma.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's Keanu without the awkward physical charisma.

He wasn't distractingly bad in Kick-rear end, which I guess makes that his closest equivalent to a Bill & Ted in this scenario.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Compared to Godzilla, he was a loving spitfire in Age of Ultron.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Compared to Godzilla, he was a loving spitfire in Age of Ultron.

Sure, but what about if you hold it to the standards of, like, any other acting?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but he was supposed to be very calm and collected at all times to (a) reflect his training in the military and bomb squad unit and (b) to contrast with his animated and emotional father. During filming Taylor-Johnson supposedly went somewhere where he wasn't recognized as an actor and the folks around him thought he was in the military because he was informally in-character since he was used to acting stoically and mechanically for the role. I think this might have been in that Art of Destruction making-of book where Edwards discussed it.

I've never really had a problem with his performance because it's how I figured someone like him would act, but I can see where other folks would want something more dynamic. I feel like he comes off basically like a military version of Grant from Jurassic Park, but a Malcolm-like character would be more fun. Or even just Cranston as is the common consensus.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

This looks amazing and I cannot wait. But I highly disagree with your opinion of Godzilla 14. Edwards did a superb job of building up suspense and the slow burn paid off. That Godzilla was a force of nature and I think even more screen time would have cheapened it. At least in his first movie.

We are probably going to get more action if the rumors of Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah are in the next.

Yeah too bad they killed the only good actor within the first 10 minutes and we had to follow the most boring dude ever alive for the whole movie. Thanks kick rear end

E: Anyway the new movie looks loving awesome. All the tank and anti-air missile shots were straight out of evangelion for loving sure. Anno is going to go crazy on this one.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 15, 2016

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Heavy Metal posted:

Those are two of my favs! Humble brag, I got to see both of those in theaters! Brattle theatre in Harvard Square is quite boss. Saw Gojira there too.

The Brattle had GMK at one point? I only saw Gojira and Final Wars there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

OptimusShr posted:

The Brattle had GMK at one point? I only saw Gojira and Final Wars there.

Yes indeedy they did, it was before Final Wars was out. I forget how soon after the Japanese release, but it was years before Final Wars.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Detective Dog Dick posted:

It should be mentioned that Shinji Higuchi, the VFX director, was responsible for arguably the best looking suitmation ever in Gamera 3 and is likely to top himself here. The shot of the tail swinging over the houses in the trailer is spectacular.

I agree with you about Shinji Higuchi, but August Ragone, who's pretty in the know when it comes to Japanese monster and superhero stuff, is claiming that he heard this Godzilla was made with a mix of digital rendering and animatronic puppeteering rather than any suitmation, and Toho is calling it a "fully CG" Godzilla. But I don't know what to believe, as the opening of the trailer with Godzilla roaring moves like a hand puppet. Well, regardless of how they bring Godzilla to life this time, Shinji Higuchi's involvement is the most exciting part for me. The Gamera movies have the best sense of scale out of any suitmation monster movie I can think of, and the special effects in general just work really well for the most part(there's admittedly some weird puppet work in Gamera: Guardian of the Universe).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I would assume that it's mostly a suit/puppet with CG touchups, mostly because CG in Japanese movies is usually pretty lowbudget.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

E: Anyway the new movie looks loving awesome. All the tank and anti-air missile shots were straight out of evangelion for loving sure. Anno is going to go crazy on this one.

You know Godzilla movies had those kinds of shots decades before Evangelion right?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Violator posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but he was supposed to be very calm and collected at all times to (a) reflect his training in the military and bomb squad unit and (b) to contrast with his animated and emotional father. During filming Taylor-Johnson supposedly went somewhere where he wasn't recognized as an actor and the folks around him thought he was in the military because he was informally in-character since he was used to acting stoically and mechanically for the role. I think this might have been in that Art of Destruction making-of book where Edwards discussed it.

I've never really had a problem with his performance because it's how I figured someone like him would act, but I can see where other folks would want something more dynamic. I feel like he comes off basically like a military version of Grant from Jurassic Park, but a Malcolm-like character would be more fun. Or even just Cranston as is the common consensus.

It's like when Pirates of the Carribean came out, and Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow got all the attention, when the actual best performance came from Geoffrey Rush.

That's not to say that Taylor-Johnson did a better job than Cranston, but that he had the vastly more difficult job of being quiet and internal. All subtle gestures and ambivalent expressions.

"What makes Godzilla more significant than just another summer blockbuster is Ford’s personal rectitude and his steadfast profile. The back of Taylor-Johnson’s neck and head are as unbowed as his spine. His wide eyes show a sensitive alertness the worried scientists lack. Courageous and daringly eager, he’s an action figure for a war-weary age."
-Armond White

Beeez
May 28, 2012

It's like when Pirates of the Carribean came out, and Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow got all the attention, when the actual best performance came from Geoffrey Rush.

That's not to say that Taylor-Johnson did a better job than Cranston, but that he had the vastly more difficult job of being quiet and internal. All subtle gestures and ambivalent expressions.

"What makes Godzilla more significant than just another summer blockbuster is Ford’s personal rectitude and his steadfast profile. The back of Taylor-Johnson’s neck and head are as unbowed as his spine. His wide eyes show a sensitive alertness the worried scientists lack. Courageous and daringly eager, he’s an action figure for a war-weary age."
-Armond White

Are there really people who don't think Geoffrey Rush was fantastic in Pirates of the Caribbean?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You know Godzilla movies had those kinds of shots decades before Evangelion right?

Yeah, like, the reason Evangelion looks the way it does is because Anno is a giant loving nerd who loves Godzilla and Ultraman, and Evangelion was a love letter to tokusatsu.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective Dog Dick posted:

The shot of the tail swinging over the houses in the trailer is spectacular.

It was genuinely nightmarish in the best possible ways. I love that shot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla is rad as gently caress. Kaiju movies in general are like alternate universes where being a Cthulu cultist is the morally correct choice.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Beeez posted:

Are there really people who don't think Geoffrey Rush was fantastic in Pirates of the Caribbean?

If there are I don't know them. The reason everyone remembers Jack Sparrow was because of how colorful a character he was and Johnny Depp turns out a great performance,

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah I know, but I feel like these were taken directly from the rebuild evangelion movies. Maybe the framing of it I don't know.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a video which shows the lineup of tanks from Evangelion which ends with a similar shot from a Godzilla movie which they assume was an inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6O-id9uLvU&t=22s

Here's the shots from Shin Gojira for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw&t=54s

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Obviously they have common heritage, but it's a lot older than evangelion or Godzilla.