Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, if we know the city is going to burn down, we could take out an insurance policy on literally everything and reap boatloads of gold in return.

Roll accountancy to determine the viability of this beautiful plan :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, if we know the city is going to burn down, we could take out an insurance policy on literally everything and reap boatloads of gold in return.

That probably requires being there, and furthermore it's probably too dickish a move for our dwarfish entrepreneur.
Maybe we should actually tell this to someone, like the chancellor. It's unlikely that he can actually do something about it, but he could start preparing a counter offensive to whatever it is that's going to destroy the other city.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Theantero posted:

Hell, why not? The prophecy never said we had to save the city. Toil is a dwarf god, he probably likes gold too.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Insurance Fraud Legitimate Business Ventures

RandomPauI posted:

Ask the doc:

"Hypothetical question, say you're cleaning a temple. All of the sudden you have the insight that you need to be at a specific location before two weeks is up. The location is a week and a half away. Failure to act will result in a tragedy. What's the quickest way to get everyone back to fighting condition and on our way?"

"That's a very specific conundrum you have there boss, but you know as well as I the fastest way would be to ask the nearest priests for help.
Dependin' on the temple you might even get some help but I expect they'll be wantin' a bit o' scratch lest it regard some dire emergency or whatnot, to their own interests."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Head back to Gruw, get money, leave people at temple, hire faster transportation, go to that city with the able members. Feasible?

That's just B, but I'd like to know if the rest of the plan would work. Is there a horse, or cart service in Gruw?

B

Entirely feasible, but you already own pretty fast transportation with the added benefit of it being able to carry the gear you'd need to perform your duties at the place you are going too.
The only way you'd be faster is if A; You rested less, travelling further each day at the cost of fatigue or B; Went there alone / with minimal gear.

There Bias Two posted:

+

Theantero posted:

You have never been to Jauntyville. You have no claim to the land, nor any businesses nor properties within. Even should you travel there alone with the fastest horse your money could buy, the real bottleneck is the Speed of Bureaucracy.
The city will have burned down before your purchases are processed, much less the the reams of documentation requires to properly insure everything even against a very specific disaster.
Should anyone suspect fraud it would be a simple task for the magistrate in charge to ask the Gods for their take on the matter.

There Bias Two posted:

Toil is a dwarf god, he probably likes gold too.

Incorrect. Toil cares only about hard work done well and the state of the Empire as a whole. You are thinking of Quackeen, the God of Money, who would probably love this plan if the collapse of an entire city wasn't so detrimental to trade.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011

HBar posted:

B
Eat a blue cupcake. We still need to return to non-negative crumbs.

This Whatever those crumbs are they're obviously important.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Incorrect. Toil cares only about hard work done well and the state of the Empire as a whole.

This might be important, since Toil would appreciate us saving the town, if it's an important part of the Empire. That being said, our primary job is being a monster hunting guild proprietor and boss, and the best way to do that job is having our employees come back to where they can get patched up. Driving them to the breaking point is probably a bad work ethic.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Grüwian Silver Mines
Month 2, week three, day six.
Morning

You thank the doctor for his assessment and inform your crew that you are heading out as soon as you are able, destination: Grüw. This is met with approval from everyone currently conscious.
The imminent loading of goods considerably less so. But, you assure them, it is for a good cause. The cause of getting paid a lot of money. Once more the mood brightens and you set to work with a mind full of [wealth] calculations.

After two hours of back-breaking labour you decide to take a break to check in on the patients. Abigail has just woken up and Konnie is still stable. He woke up too but Johakim decided it was best to keep his brother amazingly drunk in lieu of proper anaesthetics.

You head over to your pack, sit down on the hard and cold stone surface of the mine and ponder your situation. You... feel weird. The weight of responsibility has passed, yet your eyes are still half-blinded, as if a bright lightsource was inches from your face.
You are tired, hurt and feel a deep sense of time-preasure permeating your existence. You have negative three crumbs remaining.

What does that even mean?

How do you even know that?

The last two months have been the strangest of your life, no exception. A lot of it cannot even be explained rationally. You know of no Gods that touch upon the domain of dreams, no, The Gods of Rim are far too practical.
Science and Reason define dreams as nonsense hallucinations of a brain without proper input; yet you have travelled yours far and wide and found places where reality and dream seem to coincide.

You know of no force of nature that could cause ivy to animate the corpse of a clown, no animal that could at one point be there; the other not. Yet these are all things you have seen and experienced.

You take your head in your hands and sigh, wiping some grit and gore from your face in the process. Well, maybe you can solve one of these issues.
You know of only one source of crumbs; so you open your pack and look within.

You have [01] Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes remaining in your pack, with [09] back at headquarters.

Its sweet savoury scent entices you as the rest of the world seems to disappear. Gone is the blinding light; a brief respite in your world of trouble. Your aches lessen, your worries simply fade away.
You know only cupcake... but are you really hungry? Is this really the time?

1: Eat the Cupcake.

2: No... I'll save it for later.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 16, 2016

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

I'm beginning to worry we've developed a Pastry Problem.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1 Maybe Astral Projecting in the temple will provide us with a little more insight. Plus we need some more crumbs.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

1 Eat the cupcake and don't do anything that will use up crumbs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

A proverb from the Church of Money states: "When in debt, don't go drinking at your creditor's favorite bar."

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
1. Maybe it will recharge our crumb-counter, or let us find some information on the city about to be on fire.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

No snacking, get back to Grew

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

1: Eat it, don't spend crumbs.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B, but tell the doc that if we pass out to feed us a cupcake, and that it doesn't make sense to me either

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. If it's an addiction problem then we can deal with the consequences later, but if it's an overexertion problem then we'll be facing the consequences right away. And we can't afford any setbacks with the clock ticking.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
1. A

Let's experiment while time is of the essence, nothing can go wrong.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Cupcake World

You feel the the treat expand as the world shrinks down around you and soon you are all but lost in endless valleys of Ethereal Rim Rose infused cake.
You surrender to the pull, trying to absorb as much of it as possible.

When you come to your senses you are floating around somewhere in the mine, a gentle tug always in the direction of your body. Familiar shades of sepia all around you.
You are all alone, yet you can feel several warm-spots, tugs included, corresponding roughly you realize to the whereabouts of your compatriots.
You sense a large and alien presence nearby. It is cold.

You try to focus. You feel heavier than usual, clouded. Something is pulling you, somewhere, downward.

What do you do?

A: Follow the gentle tug back to your body.

B: Inspect yourself.
Will yourself through your confusion, figure out what is wrong.

C: Explore the warm-spots.
You somehow know they represent your companions.
Whom do you wish to visit?

D: Explore the alien presence.

E: Follow the heavy downward pull.

F: Something else?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Try to feel how many crumbs do we have. Do we know wbat crumbs are? How do we expend them? Can we regain them?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

D What is this weird presence? Maybe it'll help us overcome our sadbrains.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A - go home. Whatever it is, we don't have the time or resources to deal with it right now. Take our crumbs and go back to our body.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

D. B is also important, but with the frayed lifeline and now whatever this problem is, it seems like we're being sabotaged. The presence is the first suspect.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
B. Let's not get this things attention I feel like that would be a oneway trip to deadsville

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
E

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

B

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

HBar posted:

D. B is also important, but with the frayed lifeline and now whatever this problem is, it seems like we're being sabotaged. The presence is the first suspect.

The alien presence may just be the slime.

People aren't voting to wait and asses so I'll go ahead and vote GO BACK TO.OUR BODY.

edit: wait, I suck at reading. B

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 19, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
b

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Chakraracter Sheet

You close all of your eyes and concentrate, setting yourself down on the non-newtonian surface of the world around you, letting the dreamstuff solidify to encompass your form.

Inhale....

Exhale....

Inhale.....

Exhale....

Inhale.....

Exhale....

You are Thorgrim Ironscript, dwarf accountant monster hunter.
Amongst your various abilities, you are most highly skilled at accountancy, and to this end you count yourself as a decent hand at any problem of math or logistics.
Through constant practise, you are learning how to put these skills to use in evaluating others, yet this is a recent development and one that has yet to flower.

Your recent line of work has seen you grow in other unrelated areas as well; you see yourself as a novice axedwarf, at the very beginnings of your career as a fighter.
You have learned how to carry armour and shield, but not yet how to do it well.

You know the basics of rhetoric, how to haggle and how to sway with emotion. You know Gnomespeak albeit not as well as Imperial in which you are fluent. Really, it is only a dialect, a habit of speed to get used too.

You know there are things you know that you do not know how well you know. Things that cannot yet be put into words. You know you can do things that others can't, but you do not know the how or the why.

---

You turn your mind to the body.
You know that it is bleeding. It has been pierced and cut. A gentle tug pulls you in its direction, a cord emanating from your (astral?) form to the (physical?).
The cord is knotted, tied, but is frayed no longer. You know that something is wrong.

Your shape is different. There is a heavy weight somewhere on your person. You realize you could 'pull it out' if you wanted too. Equally you could embrace it.
You realize, considering the weight, that is is somehow connected to the downwards pull. It has a strange and purple glow.

You have [03] crumbs remaining. Whatever you did must have restocked them.

Do you...

A: Pull the Weight out.
This feels like it would be hard.

B: Embrace the Weight, take it into your form.
This feels like it would be easy.

C: Follow the path revealed by the weight; see where it leads.
This feels like it would be easy.

D: Follow the gentle tug back to your body.
This feels the easiest of all.

E: Explore somewhere else? See previous vote for options, or write-in something new.
How easy or hard this is depends, you feel, on the distances involved. But not necessarily of distance that can be measured.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
c

To be honest I'm afraid that might be a half measure. Then again, Breaking Bad isn't a thing in this universe so...

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
We are an accountant. We are smart enough to not commit to integrating weird demons or whatever purple glows tug at us 'from below' into our soul BEFORE we know exactly what sort of demon it is!

C

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Theantero posted:

We are an accountant. We are smart enough to not commit to integrating weird demons or whatever purple glows tug at us 'from below' into our soul BEFORE we know exactly what sort of demon it is!

C
Yes, exactly. C

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B. If there's one thing that would be at home in hell, it is accountants. :getin:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Guys, let's not follow the fishing lure cast up from Hell. Now isn't the time to be screwing around with this stuff. D

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Question: IS there an Underworld or Hell in our mythology? I know gods are real, but do we know of any specific god or demon that we associate with the direction Down, or Below?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Compass of Morality

hollylolly posted:

Do we know of any specific god or demon that we associate with the direction Down, or Below?[/b]

Questions regarding the afterlife where addressed in a previous post, the relevant parts i will quote here for your convenience.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Slice of Afterlife

Aside from the Imperial Census, The Empire has no use for a corpse. Thus a Citizen, upon death, is released to the Church for interment, to the whims of Gods.

Yet neither do these deities have much to offer the recently departed. The very concept of the afterlife is foreign to the denizens of Rim. Life is work and duty, so death must be rest?
The Gods have no need for threats of eternal punishment, no need for promises of a happy hereafter. Their influence on every day life is all too tangible.
They'd rather punish you right now, as it where, or reward you for what deeds they might hold dear. Everyone in their place, as suits the wheels of the Imperial Bureaucracy.

Demons in the sense that they apply to the world of Rim are divine agents with a single, specific task that is the reason of their being. It could be vengeance or justice or just keeping a temple fire lit.
What we in our world would traditionally label a demon the inhabitants of Rim would call a monster, plain and simple.

As for the morality of direction; there is none, because the morality of the Empire itself is more based on utilitarianism rather than altruism.
None of the major deities are defined by any one cardinal direction; Quackeen is everywhere because trade needs to be everywhere. Toil works wherever there is work to be done, and Lolth appears in every heart and home.
Whilst the Dark Elves might at times venerate her more Abyssal nature, the Church argues that spiders can be found in every corner of your house, so why should the Mistress of the Hearth be any different?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Hmm, then are there species that dig deeper than the dwarves? Dark elves, perhaps?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Monsters In the Deep

hollylolly posted:

Hmm, then are there species that dig deeper than the dwarves? Dark elves, perhaps?

Dwarves dig however deep it is they need to dig, as they (in general if not specific) prefer the security of stone to open skies whenever possible.
You haven't met too many Darkelves, but from your time as an accountant for the local branch of the Ministry of Trade you have at least heard of a few cities where goods are shipped too that you believe lie underground,
the predominant theme of which is that their main inhabitants are Dark Elves even if all the other sentient species are of course free to live there as well.

You believe there are monsters in the deep as well. As there are everywhere else on Rim.
You heard the miners and other various craft- and armsdwarves talk about them back in your Mountainhome, but you cannot recall any specifics at the moment.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
E. Eat the three crumbs that we have. Even if it doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
You got a feelin...

You dive. You let the heavy weight guide you through the astral silver mine, ever downwards until you find yourself back at 'the core'.

Yet it is much different than how you saw it earlier. Big Kate is nowhere to be seen, and neither is Kvelar. The whole place is filled not with carnage and pools of blood, but rather areas of dread and doom, like cold currents in a lake.
The worst of the 'dread' is centred around a warm tug which seems very familiar.

All around you are hundreds of pinpricks of light, dashing to and fro through a thick purple smog. They are bristling with energy, but pay you no mind, if indeed they have a mind to pay. They all seem to be orbiting a central structure, the likes of which you have never seen.
It reminds you in some way of a beehive, but only if beehives where ten meters high and built from scrap metal, knowledge, fire and precious gems.

The weight at your side guides you closer and as you come near, three wisps separate from the swirling mass and approach you, seemingly curious, or perhaps attracted to the purple glow coming from somewhere on your person that seems to resonate with the smoke around you.

You can tell the weight wants to be united with... something. Yourself, the three curious wisps? Anything will do.

1:
You..

A: Examine the wisps so as to better make a choice.
This is what the weight wants. It will guide you.

B: Choose yourself.
The weight will guide you.

C: Examine the weight.
The weight will resist observation. You feel this will be hard.

D: Examine the warm-dread.
The weight and the wisps all seem to want to avoid it, but the tug in its direction will cancel out any resistance they can offer.

F: Go Elsewhere.
See any previous option.

You have [02] crumbs remaining.