Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Drunk Tomato posted:

Why do you need Google maps for a route you take often, though? I think Google maps is there as a way to route people from point a to point b as fast as possible, especially when they are in unfamiliar territory.

I'm a service tech for a company and so I know all the general routes, i.e. how to get from Town A to Town B, but I don't know all the side roads and whatnot by heart. So what I tend to do is enter my destination and then go the way I know until I'm close, and then let the GPS take over from there so I don't have to pull over and then enter the address, or worse be That rear end in a top hat who's fiddling with my phone as I'm driving.

It was a real problem during most of 2013 as my area is basically what was Ground Zero for Hurricane Sandy, so a lot of roads were kind of not there anymore and Google didn't know yet, so I was taking a lot of alternate routes that I knew. Obviously, that's a extreme circumstance but whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Anyone know of a remote desktop type app for android, where someone could run it and control someone elses phone?
It's for a presentation tool we've developed as an app, it's going to be handed off for people to use but we want the brokers who own the devices to be able to drive them remotely too.
We're eventually going to work on a custom solution but right now something quick and dirty like this would work fine. phones will always be in close proximity. They'll both be s6 or s7's.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone know of a remote desktop type app for android, where someone could run it and control someone elses phone?
It's for a presentation tool we've developed as an app, it's going to be handed off for people to use but we want the brokers who own the devices to be able to drive them remotely too.
We're eventually going to work on a custom solution but right now something quick and dirty like this would work fine. phones will always be in close proximity. They'll both be s6 or s7's.

Can you root the target phone to be controlled? If so, there are many VNC server apps out there, which work varying amounts of OK.

There's also the "TeamViewer Host" app that is supposed to be able to do it without root, but for some people it will only do view only for the phone? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamviewer.host.market&hl=en

Worth a try at any rate.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
We can root it, yeah - the phones running the presentation will always be passing through our studio before we ship them out, we buy them in bulk straight from samsung. That's potentially a good mid term solution for the next 6 months.
Don't you need old firmware to root though? Our source of phones is always brand new, could cause issues if we suddenly get a batch that cant be rooted yet.

Taking a look at teamviewer now, thanks!

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

cubicle gangster posted:

Teamviewer works great for this as suggested previously.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Trying to use teamviewer but not getting anywhere with it, do you have experience with it?

Installed the app that fishmech linked and it told me that app was outdated and i needed a new one for it to work, got that but i still cant connect..
Trying to connect to it on desktop (through download and google chrome app) gives me the error 'unfortunately a connection to this device is not possible with this version of teamviewer'
Using my phone gives me the error ''feature not available'

The teamviewer host app log file gives the error 'authentication failed' when i'm trying to connect with a phone, and from desktop it gives 'unsupported connection type'

e: Teamviewer quick support doesnt work either, same errors, on the main s6 whenever I try to remote connect it says 'login cancelled' with the same error on deskptop/chrome app/my phone as above.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 12, 2016

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So for those of you who use Facebook Messenger, am I just crazy or does the FBM gallery only show photos straight off the camera folder only? I could have sworn it used to show all your images including photos downloaded off Chrome or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mine shows most everything, from what I can tell. I'm seeing photos, downloads, screenshots, and stuff in saved move to sub-folders by Piktures.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uthor posted:

Mine shows most everything, from what I can tell. I'm seeing photos, downloads, screenshots, and stuff in saved move to sub-folders by Piktures.

Yeah I have no idea, as far as I can see the default FMB gallery doesn't show anything except my photos straight from the camera. Unless I can change the default gallery I'm stumped :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing? I was looking at what pops in when I go attach a picture into a message. I don't see a way to look at all my photos through Messenger.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uthor posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing? I was looking at what pops in when I go attach a picture into a message. I don't see a way to look at all my photos through Messenger.

It's in the app, while in a chat, right of the camera icon towards the bottom. I might just be crazy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skeezy posted:

It's in the app, while in a chat, right of the camera icon towards the bottom. I might just be crazy.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at, too. Works for me. :shrug:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uthor posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at, too. Works for me. :shrug:

Edit.

Okay whatever I did now it works. It works now just not with older photos. Anything I download from here on out works. Cool.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 13, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Edit.

Okay whatever I did now it works. It works now just not with older photos. Anything I download from here on out works. Cool.

Well, mine is now giving me an "error loading media" warning for a bunch of photos, so that's a thing. :sigh:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uthor posted:

Well, mine is now giving me an "error loading media" warning for a bunch of photos, so that's a thing. :sigh:

:smith:

It's so weird.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
What is the best VPN solution for Android?

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

Konstantin posted:

Maybe not the best but I'm using PIA for several months now and it seems fine

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Konstantin posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I've been rolling with the LauncherPro/Beautiful Widgets combo since GS2, but they seem to be less and less supported/popular these days. Setting up my 5X tomorrow, and planning to make the jump to newer apps. Is it worth paying for a Launcher, or are the free ones comparable with paid at this point? Nova is the highest rated on the Google store of the suggestions in the OP, but that could just be people rating it higher because they paid and don't want to admit it's the same thing as the free poo poo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm using Nova and used to use Apex. They are both (mostly) fully functional in the free versions. They just hide more advanced options under the pay wall. I paid for Nova solely to hide apps in the app drawer. This is what you get with the paid version.

quote:

Unlock the following extras by purchasing Nova Launcher Prime
• Gestures - Swipe, pinch, double tap and more on the home screen to open your favorite apps
• Unread Counts - Never miss a message. Unread count badges for Hangouts, SMS, Gmail and more using the TeslaUnread plugin
• Custom Drawer Groups - Create new tabs or folders in the app drawer
• Hide Apps - Keep a clean app drawer by hiding never used apps
• Icon Swipes - Set custom actions for swiping on app shortcuts or folders
• More scroll effects - Such as Wipe, Accordion, and Throw

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I use this to connect to the OpenVPN server on my Asus router. Works great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lt. Frank Drebin posted:

I've been rolling with the LauncherPro/Beautiful Widgets combo since GS2, but they seem to be less and less supported/popular these days. Setting up my 5X tomorrow, and planning to make the jump to newer apps. Is it worth paying for a Launcher, or are the free ones comparable with paid at this point? Nova is the highest rated on the Google store of the suggestions in the OP, but that could just be people rating it higher because they paid and don't want to admit it's the same thing as the free poo poo.

It's survey money so it's essentially free. Buy Nova.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's been years since I bought an app that wasn't paid for with survey bucks...surveys are subsidizing a lot of app developer incomes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The developer of Fenix has released Quote, a news reader for Feedly and Inoreader.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Kheldarn posted:

The developer of Fenix has released Quote, a news reader for Feedly and Inoreader.

Sorry, what does "a news reader for Feedly" mean? Isn't Feedly already a news reader?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

jyrka posted:

Sorry, what does "a news reader for Feedly" mean? Isn't Feedly already a news reader?

According to the app page, "Quote is a clean and modern news reader for your Feedly and Inoreader accounts.".

So it seems it is to Feedly and Inoreader what Fenix is to Twitter: An alternative app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

jyrka posted:

There's Feedly the app that's a viewer and Feedly the RSS service that you can use with other RSS readers. I use Feedly but view it in gReader on my phone.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'm still waiting on that Press update the devs promised like 2 years ago. :smith:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Just stopping in to say I loving hate the new Google apps icons.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

XIII posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan either, but whatever. They'll just change them again in a year anyhow.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Require More Fire posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan either, but whatever. They'll just change them again in a year anyhow.

Don't whatever any of you do let the issue rest for even a single second of that year. That's how Google Reader got resurrected!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

XIII posted:

What apps changed? Everything still looks the same to me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Taffer posted:

What apps changed? Everything still looks the same to me.

So far, Play Books is the only one that's changed for me, but the rest will soon. The Play Music web interface has been updated too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Oh, yeah, those updated for me too, I just have them hidden from my app drawer, so I didn't notice.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have little opinion either way tbh

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Anyone have a recommendation for a timed checklist app similar to Get poo poo Done?

I'm currently using it for short checklisty stuff like cleaning up the house, and it does everything i want except saving the checklists to templates. Which means entering them from scratch every single day, not ideal.

I'm trying to find an app that has a central timer (ie 1 hour to do all these things), a focus mode that shows 1 task at a time and saving the list as a template to be re used, and i just can't find any. Surely someone has made an app like this?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Edit. I am dumb

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do you guys recommend as a local music player? I never stream. My Moto came with Google play music and I don't like how tedious creating playlists are. Should I try Poweramp or one of the others from the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I like either Poweramp, Rocket Player, or you can just use Google Play Music without doing any cloud stuff - there's an option for local only.