Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Variable 5 posted:

Sorry guys, I’m tired of this. It’s not fun for anyone but your group and it’s tedious for anyone else posting to the forums. The level of toxicity the users posting to this thread adds to the forums is not acceptable.
I am absolutely bored with the insane levels of smug pretense happening here. It’s not fooling anyone (other than regular users already keyed up about ‘Goons’ playing the same game as they are, and you sure showed them! Take that, pubbies!) and it’s just so uninteresting. “We’re just standing up for the little guy! Help we’re being oppressed! Etc.!” I have some good news for you: you’re a regular forum user and you don’t need to stand up for anybody. You don’t run the place. That’s the moderation staff’s job, and if they suck at it then I will fire them.

They don’t suck at it right now, though. Your constant baiting isn’t changing my mind about that, it’s making me feel sorry for the group of people I put in the position of having to deal with you. It’s really, really obvious what’s happening, and no number of lengthy PMs about your views on how moderation is supposed to work are going to change that. The level of disrespect here is outrageous; absolutely no one believes you’re really here with obnoxious rule-skating signatures and stupid parody account avatars because you’re incredibly concerned with how a particular forum’s moderation works.

But if that is a genuine worry: if Toast bans someone for being a Goon instead of for being an rear end in a top hat, let me know (via PM, not endless toxic thread) and I will fire Toast. Until that happens, this is just tiresome and makes the forums look bad to everyone. (And this is just a gut feeling, but maybe the moderator bias that you all claim to be so worried about above anything else in the universe would be more obvious to me if absolutely anyone other than the people posting to this thread were contacting me about it?)

I will say that this is in no way a condemnation of all “Goons.” In following the Star Citizen threads at SA, it’s clear there are lots of Something Awful users who are interested in/excited about Star Citizen. You aren’t being haunted by some EVE reputation that you pretend to know nothing about… you’re giving the group a bad name right here (literally, in the name of your thread.) But of course you know that. SA is full of entirely reasonable people (myself included) who do all kinds of interesting things. Endless forum “shitposting” and trying to get moderators/staff fired isn’t one of those interesting things.

Thread closed.

Bye Ben,
Drop by some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Variable 5 posted:

Endless forum “shitposting” and trying to get moderators/staff fired isn’t one of those interesting things.

Thread closed.

lol

noone read your effortpost about how this whole circus is dumb and we should have better poo poo to do

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just type any word in there and you get stuff like this.

Well, now we know lesnicks threat assessment level at least.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Jon Do posted:

lol

noone read your effortpost about how this whole circus is dumb and we should have better poo poo to do

it's a ben quote

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Variable5, well loving played.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Jon Do posted:

lol

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1532429/#Comment_1532429

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Asema posted:

Ben won't get fired and you are all idiots for thinking other wise.

They will sweep it under the rug or say it was a decade ago and people change or find some other excuse as to why they can't do anything to Ben.

Because if Ben is fired and let go from his dream job with his contact with his idol the truth is just suddenly going to spiral out like verbal diarrhea and that would be a bigger poo poo storm. It's much easier to just blame this on the dirty "ES JAY DOUBLE U" / "Goons" / "Derek Smark" than actually realizing that Ben's a lovely loving person who probably has two years left on this earth.

I agree, Ben probably knows where all the bodies are buried. Plus he seems the sort who'd go on revenge rampage if his personal god Crobs cast him out.

I could see him getting very busy with less public facing roles though as a previous poster suggested, depending on how much this story blows up.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

TTerrible posted:

Variable5, well loving played.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

<LOAF> No it's not. You can't change history. Oh, also, let me introduce you to my new friend... YOUNG HITLER. He hates Jews, but he'll also be a great leader! #20,967
:laffo:

ADL getting involved in 3...2...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

it's a ben quote

Goons are the worst.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Goons are the worst.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Berious posted:

I agree, Ben probably knows where all the bodies are buried. Plus he seems the sort who'd go on revenge rampage if his personal god Crobs cast him out.

I could see him getting very busy with less public facing roles though as a previous poster suggested, depending on how much this story blows up.

As of today, i'm pretty sure Ben is a psychopath. So yeah he probably buried said body's.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Holy poo poo. Every time things begin to stale here something new is dug up. Is this scripted?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

As of today, i'm pretty sure Ben is a psychopath. So yeah he probably buried said body's.

I eventually had to subsist on the flesh and urine of my co-workers... #9,936

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
that reply is so goddamn angry now that i read it

"i have to try to spin this AND hide how pissed i am... lets go for something that's real corporate response sounding"

quote:

In following the Star Citizen threads at SA, it’s clear there are lots of Something Awful users who are interested in/excited about Star Citizen.

im sure people take that statement at face value

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 16, 2016

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"We weren't talking about you Akk... we were talking about... hmmm... Princess Diana... and, well... now she's destroying... uhm... that country she's from... So... uhm... it would have been better if she'd just died in the car instead of in the hospital... wherein one EVIL doctor took blood samples... blood samples later handed over to one particularly evil sect of Trelane's commie nazis... #3,238"

It was too big to screenshot and post. Imgur is being weird to me today so large images don't scale.

This lesnick guy is a class act.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Jon Do posted:

lol

that's a lesnick post where he was getting mad at goons on the RSI forums

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ayn Marx posted:

Holy poo poo. Every time things begin to stale here something new is dug up. Is this scripted?

This is the beginning of unfettered machine learning.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jon Do posted:

that reply is so goddamn angry now that i read it

"i have to try to spin this AND hide how pissed i am... lets go for something that's real corporate response sounding"

Are you talking about the one I posted? I want to say that that was his response to a woman here getting harassed and bullied when she wanted to start a girl-gamer group on their forums. Dude banned her, then started a mass FLJK ban when a bunch of us protested. He basically said it was because she might have been trolling and that she was getting more and more upset when she reported the harassment.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think what he did was he saw "Lost Thoughts by Jack Handy", or George Carlin's musings and decided to do something not funny following that tradition.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I read through eight hundred posts about the sickening and heartbreaking truths of Ben Lesnick, Developer and now I'm a changed man, like Kurtz in Apocalypse Now

the horror

the horror

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SomethingJones posted:

Nobody said Bengate yet.

Is that the best we can do though?

LOAFGate?
HamGate?

I dunno, GateSnick? Uh yeah

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Variable 5 posted:

Are you talking about the one I posted? I want to say that that was his response to a woman here getting harassed and bullied when she wanted to start a girl-gamer group on their forums. Dude banned her, then started a mass FLJK ban when a bunch of us protested. He basically said it was because she might have been trolling and that she was getting more and more upset when she reported the harassment.

Yeah, you got me. I didn't read it, or I probably would have figured it out quicker.

All the better knowing you didn't intend to confuse me

e: Sad that it isn't in response to the recent developments.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ben's lovely to have around.

A funny thing to do is, if you're out hiking and your friend gets bitten by a poisonous snake, tell him you're going to go for help, then go about ten feet and pretend that *you* got bit by a snake. Then start an argument with him about who's going to go get help. A lot of guys will start crying. That's why it makes you feel good when you tell them it was just a joke #4083

Too bad when I was a kid there wasn't a guy in our class that everybody called the "Cricket Boy", because I would have liked to stand up in class and tell everybody, "You can make fun of the Cricket Boy if you want to, but to me he's just like everybody else." Then everybody would leave the Cricket Boy alone, and I'd invite him over to spend the night at my house, but after about five minutes of that loud chirping I'd have to kick him out. Maybe later we could get up a petition to get the Cricket Family run out of town. Bye, Cricket Boy #4084

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Variable 5 posted:

On that day I made my only post on CIG forums and was banned within seconds, truly a great day

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

gently caress yeah

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

LOAFGate?
HamGate?

I believe it's officially "Ben-Ghazi".

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

LOAFGate?
HamGate?

Ben-Ghazi was taken like a dozen pages ago

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

LOAFGate?
HamGate?

Somebody said Ben-Ghazi and it won't be topped....

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

I can't believe they deleted the thread on reddit :(

it's still chugging along out of view

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4f2gc8/bens_lesnicks_blog_the_book_of_loaf/

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Variable 5 posted:

Sorry guys, I’m tired of this. It’s not fun for anyone but your group and it’s tedious for anyone else posting to the forums. The level of toxicity the users posting to this thread adds to the forums is not acceptable.
I am absolutely bored with the insane levels of smug pretense happening here. It’s not fooling anyone (other than regular users already keyed up about ‘Goons’ playing the same game as they are, and you sure showed them! Take that, pubbies!) and it’s just so uninteresting. “We’re just standing up for the little guy! Help we’re being oppressed! Etc.!” I have some good news for you: you’re a regular forum user and you don’t need to stand up for anybody. You don’t run the place. That’s the moderation staff’s job, and if they suck at it then I will fire them.

They don’t suck at it right now, though. Your constant baiting isn’t changing my mind about that, it’s making me feel sorry for the group of people I put in the position of having to deal with you. It’s really, really obvious what’s happening, and no number of lengthy PMs about your views on how moderation is supposed to work are going to change that. The level of disrespect here is outrageous; absolutely no one believes you’re really here with obnoxious rule-skating signatures and stupid parody account avatars because you’re incredibly concerned with how a particular forum’s moderation works.

But if that is a genuine worry: if Toast bans someone for being a Goon instead of for being an rear end in a top hat, let me know (via PM, not endless toxic thread) and I will fire Toast. Until that happens, this is just tiresome and makes the forums look bad to everyone. (And this is just a gut feeling, but maybe the moderator bias that you all claim to be so worried about above anything else in the universe would be more obvious to me if absolutely anyone other than the people posting to this thread were contacting me about it?)

I will say that this is in no way a condemnation of all “Goons.” In following the Star Citizen threads at SA, it’s clear there are lots of Something Awful users who are interested in/excited about Star Citizen. You aren’t being haunted by some EVE reputation that you pretend to know nothing about… you’re giving the group a bad name right here (literally, in the name of your thread.) But of course you know that. SA is full of entirely reasonable people (myself included) who do all kinds of interesting things. Endless forum “shitposting” and trying to get moderators/staff fired isn’t one of those interesting things.

Thread closed.

I was there when that post was made in the brown sea and I remember thinking: "Wow. This really is one of the dumbest things that a supposed 'community manager' can do, isn't it?" And this was after briefly following the exploits of Niko Snow at PGI.

Yet here I am now, 2 and a half years later...in utter disbelief as to how much lower he could go than Niko ever did. He did everything Niko Snow did (including banning people in the community/screwing up their paid-for packages for poo poo they said elsewhere on the internet) at a regular pace...and now this...

Just. Wow.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Solomonic posted:

I read through eight hundred posts about the sickening and heartbreaking truths of Ben Lesnick, Developer and now I'm a changed man, like Kurtz in Apocalypse Now

the horror

the horror

Just remember that we have to go back up river again. Are you prepared?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Solomonic posted:

the horror

the horror

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
So Reddit, who attack Derek relentlessly, bringing up every quote he's ever made since the dawn of time if it suits their purpose, are defending Ben with the claim "what's past is past." Bullshit. You're defending Ben because you believe to do otherwise is to jeopardize your ability to fly fake spaceships in a video game. Full loving stop. Reddit will defend pedophilia for fake spaceships. Reddit will defend genocide for fake spaceships. Reddit will defend misogyny, human trafficking, murder, rape, arson, and jaywalking as long as it means they get fake spaceship jpegs. The jpegs are their alpha and omega. I for one eagerly anticipate the official day of Star Citizen's collapse, so those genetic abominations lose every hope they've ever had of playing this game. I can't believe how far down the rabbit hole this shitshow goes. Game of Thrones has absolutely nothing on this.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Variable 5 posted:

He basically said it was because she might have been trolling and that she was getting more and more upset when she reported the harassment.
When I re-read this, this part made a lot of sense now

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol at everything

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jon Do posted:

Yeah, you got me. I didn't read it, or I probably would have figured it out quicker.

All the better knowing you didn't intend to confuse me

e: Sad that it isn't in response to the recent developments.

No worries. I was posting that whenever people started to feel a bit too sorry for him, as a reminder. This is also the guy that hired a mod that started banning a bunch of us from the CIG chat when we suggested to a pubbie that rape might not be the best idea for a graphic novel. CIG knew years ago that he was a liability but kept him on anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mr.Tophat posted:

Welp. That's it. I'm going out to drink. Bye for a while thread, don't get it locked.

Yeah I've been here since the morning. I wouldn't be surprised if thread gains another two hundred pages with plenty more things, but at this point I'm fully saturated.
It's like having a box of donuts for your birthday and then your boss drops another three boxes in front of you while you're filming a show.

• Locked thread