Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mortanis posted:

He's pretty high up as a writer at TIME. Does that count?
*places final piece in jigsaw puzzle*

*looks up, eyes wide, expression full of fear*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bobatron posted:

I kind of thought that it was implied in the books that magic sort of comes out of human suffering and extreme intelligence. Which explains why nobody is happy and everyone is a dick because if you were happy you wouldn't need magic/be magical.

On a different note, I also liked quick joke in the final episode about the air in Fillory being 0.05% opium.
The first point was brought up at Brakebills South iirc. The opium thing is in book 2.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lev Grossman is literally the guy, the actual guy, who coined the phrase "The American Tolkien" about George "Grim" Martin.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

The opium thing is in book 2.

Really? I must have missed that somehow.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

shadok posted:

Really? I must have missed that somehow.
I could swear there was an aside in it somewhere. I've only got the audibook version so I can't tell you where and maybe I'm conflating it with the tv show, I could swear it was mentioned somewhere though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
New 2 minute trailer for second season is out. Season 2 begins January 25th.

http://www.syfy.com/themagicians

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another trailer. Looks like since a certain thing didn't happen at the end of the first season they're switching out Alice for Julia in the whole "Kings and Queens of Fillory" bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuC0irbKSGg

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Way late, but huh. So does the niffining happen at the apparently scheduled confrontation this season then?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't want to be a jerk, but I would really like to be able to talk about The Magicians this year -- and the Expanse, ideally -- without being massively spoiled for upcoming episodes.

So could people please, please, please make use of spoiler tags throughout this thread?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't want to be a jerk, but I would really like to be able to talk about The Magicians this year -- and the Expanse, ideally -- without being massively spoiled for upcoming episodes.

So could people please, please, please make use of spoiler tags throughout this thread?

I don't want to be a jerk, either, but you could read the books :v: I thought we used spoiler tags anyway for book talk that hadn't happened?

In all seriousness, the way that season 1 ended, it's probably veering way off course for the time being. There will probably be bits and pieces of the latter books used, but it's hard to guess what they're going to do. So I think those of us who read the books are in the dark as well.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

geeves posted:

I don't want to be a jerk, either, but you could read the books :v: I thought we used spoiler tags anyway for book talk that hadn't happened?

In all seriousness, the way that season 1 ended, it's probably veering way off course for the time being. There will probably be bits and pieces of the latter books used, but it's hard to guess what they're going to do. So I think those of us who read the books are in the dark as well.

I also don't want to be a jerk, but isn't there a separate thread for the books?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm glad they changed Janet's name to Margot because I like the books and still confused Janet, Jane, and Julia.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I just want to see more of Eliot's adventures.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

hangedman1984 posted:

I also don't want to be a jerk, but isn't there a separate thread for the books?

Somewhere in the archives as far as I know :shrug:. But so far book talk hasn't been banned like it has been in the Game of Thrones thread. If it's added to the OP, great. If not, it's likely going to happen here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open Source is right. People should just use spoiler tags since there's plenty of peopl who have no interest in the books and don't want their viewing to be influenced by book stuff.

But also, yeah, its the internet so eventually someone is either going to accidently post a spoiler or do it deliberately to prove some kind of point. Its just the reality of these genre shows adapted from another source. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, The Strain, whatever. If you care enough for it to bother you you're only real protection is not reading the thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The way they ended last season is a complete departure from the books so it is hard to know how if at all things will be the same. So far the premise of this season seems to be the same as the second book in general but hard to know how specific it will get.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure but that doesn't negate spoilers. I've read the Walking Dead comics but the show departs widely from them. Nonetheless knowing what happens in the comics often ends up spoiling me on stuff that does get repeated or stuff that gets tweaked a bit. Or even sometimes when the show actively trades on the expectations.

A show like this means that just because you know what happens in the source material doesn't mean you'll know what happens in the show, but that doesn't change the fact that some people who don't know what happens in the source material want to watch the show clean.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Part of the challenge is that the source material for The Magicians is so much more limited compared to Game of Thrones or Walking Dead. It's difficult to even know when and how they'll depart, what they'll include, or what may be moved around for pacing reasons. I'm cautiously optimistic based on the trailers, but then again this IS SyFy - and I honestly had completely forgotten this show existed (even though I read the books) so clearly the first season didn't make a lasting impression on me. It's difficult to even compare the books to the show without potentially spoiling something because nobody knows what will or won't be a spoiler.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
From everything posted about the source material previously the books sound like Grade A garbage.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
tbh you are better off reading the books and realising what you're missing out on with the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rhyno posted:

From everything posted about the source material previously the books sound like Grade A garbage.

I don't know, I had a lot of fun with the books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't know, I had a lot of fun with the books.

Let's see what I had to say about this back in April

Rhyno posted:

This show has gotten quite enjoyable but everything you guys keep posting from the books makes them sound like absolute horseshit that I'd have been embarrassed to read when I was 13, let alone as an adult.

Yeah. I still feel the same.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Rhyno, I think you may be missing the point.

If second-hand descriptions of the books sound lackluster or dumb, that's partially because you're missing out on the context, but also because the books are supposed to be a deconstruction of fantasy literature. It's not supposed to sound awesome; that's not the effect Lev Grossman was going for. I've made this comparison before, but it really fits: the closest match to the tone of the Magicians Trilogy is Venture Brothers, in my opinion.

Venture Brothers clearly loves the genres it's parodying, but it injects depressing realism into the fantasy to make things funnier.

The show fucks this up big time by playing a Chosen One Quest straight, and trying to make the protagonists sexy and cool. The books weren't supposed to be glamorous. They were more poignant and funny because of the characters' perpetual disappointment that magical life wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

The timescale is another huge issue. It's a coming of age tale, as if all seven Harry Potter books had several books added on that dealt with Harry's marriage falling apart and Ron becoming an alcoholic. Quentin ages from 18 to early thirties in the books.

I think this show is such a loving disappointment, it's almost meta-commentary. I loved the Magicians Trilogy as much as Quentin loved the Fillory books, but real life i.e. this lovely tv adaptation has provided a rude and unpleasant awakening, leading to nihilism.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Counterpoint, the TV series is way better than the books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Counter-Counterpoint, you'll never convince me to read your lovely tween magic novels now shut up i'm trying to stare at OTD's tits.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I just want to learn more about fake Narnia land's air being 1% cocaine or whatever :wtf:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

karrethuun posted:

Counterpoint, the TV series is way better than the books.

That's an odd thing to say. I mean, the guys are way hotter in the show than I imagined them to be when I first read the books. But that's an odd thing to say.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

That's an odd thing to say. I mean, the guys are way hotter in the show than I imagined them to be when I first read the books. But that's an odd thing to say.

The show is better at exploring Elliot and not-Janet. Also as others said above, the themes of the book don't really fit SyFy. The show would have to be at HBO or some other network to really explore the themes of the book.

That said, I do like the show for what it is. I hope season 2 pulls the rug on the chosen one thing and I can't wait for Julia and Beast shenanigans.

And Alice :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't care about spoilers, but it was annoying in (I think?) the Expanse thread where there'd be nothing but spoiler tags for pages because people were just outright discussing the books instead of the show.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
People ragging on novels they haven't read reminds me of people making GBS threads on Daredevil comics after seeing the Ben Affleck movie and assuming they're exactly the same.

It's also odd to describe the novels as "tween" since they're written by a Gen-X'er and the characters behave more according to the sensibilities of that generation rather than millennials. It's all about the ennui, not plucky Young Adult protagonists trying to fight for a better future.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tits are a powerful motivator.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I didn't really like the books that much but I watched the show out of curiosity and it was still substantially worse and more tween than the books imho (but I'll probably keep watching if Olivia Taylor Dudley isn't killed off)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Tits are a powerful motivator.
See: Resident Evil and Underworld

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Fast Luck posted:

I didn't really like the books that much but I watched the show out of curiosity and it was still substantially worse and more tween than the books imho (but I'll probably keep watching if Olivia Taylor Dudley isn't killed off)

This is somebody that gets it.

Books are garbage, show is garbage, enjoy the one or two things you can find in either and go hog wild with them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The books are okay up until the third one which was just shy of garbage. Grossman is a book critic and he writes like one, a lot of it just feels like he's ticking off boxes of things critics look for. He can also rely too heavily on allusions to other works book spoiler his description of Alice in Niffen form is taken from a Penny Arcade comic about world of Warcraft

asiperi
Aug 13, 2014
Speaking of actor chat, I did feel like they did a good job casting the leads, particularly Quentin. He pretty much nails the unlikable aspects of the character, but manages to not make me hate watching him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

asiperi posted:

Speaking of actor chat, I did feel like they did a good job casting the leads, particularly Quentin. He pretty much nails the unlikable aspects of the character, but manages to not make me hate watching him.

Penny is the best cast actor on the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FYI the first season is now up on Netflix.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I just watched it on Netflix.

Boy, they're really into cum in that last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

hangedman1984 posted:

There was a thread in TBB but it ate it.