Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I appreciate the possibility of the REM cast becoming a reality. I have no position either way on REM themselves, I just love it when a joke (not joking) comes to fruition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Woffle posted:

No joke, the other, way stupider title we were kicking around? Age of Atalkalypse. I thought it had a terrible, Pitch-esque quality to it but Days of Future Cast is actually good.

i was already really into the monster manual podcast idea but now i think i might give you guys some money just for not using that name

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Woffle posted:

The final fantasy show would cover spin offs. I've planned it out and it's years worth of stuff. Very, very comprehensive. It wouldn't be like a BSC season per game, but each game would get multiple episodes. We'd be breaking it up roughly by chronology, so, NES era and contemporary spin offs, SNES era, etc.

I feel like the real question is, but do you play the MMOs?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

I feel like the real question is, but do you play the MMOs?

The real question is: Do they watch the movies?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Pasco posted:

The real question is: Do they watch the movies?

That's definitely not the real question because its answer is clearly and emphatically yes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Woffle posted:

Just a couple of notes:

The X-men show is called Days of Future Cast.

The final fantasy show would cover spin offs. I've planned it out and it's years worth of stuff. Very, very comprehensive. It wouldn't be like a BSC season per game, but each game would get multiple episodes. We'd be breaking it up roughly by chronology, so, NES era and contemporary spin offs, SNES era, etc.

So FF Type-0 and Crisis Core would fall under this category?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

101 posted:

Both names are X-Men: First Class. No doubt about it

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We would watch the movies, we would play the MMO (when we got to it, of course). Obviously, for the MMOs, we couldn't put in the 80+ hours required to reach whatever constitutes an end game. What we'd do is start new characters and play for a few weeks, using the show like a diary or what have you, then bring in an expert to tell us about the stuff we didn't get to.

X-Men: First Cast is a great name too. That'll be the x-men movies spinoff.

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer
I had to pull my patreon donation as I was laid off suddenly but as soon as I can I'll be restarting it as I need a Kole/Dark Tower podcast so badly

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Woffle posted:

We would watch the movies

Upping my Patreon pledge just as soon as I finish moving house (assuming that doesn't ruin me).

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Oh god I just remembered there are two completely awful Final Fantasy anime too

Poor Gary if they meet that goal

Edit: A third with that new FFXV one but I haven't seen that yet and can't appraise its quality

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

I appreciate the possibility of the REM cast becoming a reality. I have no position either way on REM themselves, I just love it when a joke (not joking) comes to fruition.

Same, I forgot what episode they first mentioned it but I'm glad it subsisted through time and space. All of these ideas are great and this is my fave podcast web of shows next to We Hate Movies, will be glad to contribute to all of dis

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Woffle posted:

We would watch the movies, we would play the MMO (when we got to it, of course). Obviously, for the MMOs, we couldn't put in the 80+ hours required to reach whatever constitutes an end game. What we'd do is start new characters and play for a few weeks, using the show like a diary or what have you, then bring in an expert to tell us about the stuff we didn't get to.

neither of you guys are big mmo'ers in general right? it'll be interesting to see a new person's perspective of XIV since the early game is very much designed for the japanese audience that hasn't become totally accustomed to all the various trappings of WoW-style mmos like the west

(also it'll be interesting to see a new person's perspective of XI because gently caress has morbid curiosity gotten me close to trying that out for a month just to see how it stacks up to its infamy)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Brother Entropy posted:

(also it'll be interesting to see a new person's perspective of XI because gently caress has morbid curiosity gotten me close to trying that out for a month just to see how it stacks up to its infamy)

Don't loving do it, I speak from experience as someone who went "I've played bad games all my life and a lovely MMO can't be much worse".

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

Don't loving do it, I speak from experience as someone who went "I've played bad games all my life and a lovely MMO can't be much worse".

look sometimes there's nothing left to do in xiv but raid until the next patch comes

sometimes the call of a playable blue mage haunts me in sleepless nights

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
XI is still a post-EQ pre-WOW MMO, but they've tapered off a lot of the bullshit in the last couple years. You can almost immediately take four NPCs with you at all times and the Rhapsodies missions keep on giving you stacking +XP key items so you end up getting through things really fast. The days of crab farming in Valkurn are long gone.

It's still slow as gently caress and obtuse as all get out, but you can pretty much play it as a single player game now so hey.

That said, anyone wishing for it to come back and kill XIV is a grade-A idiot and should be wholly disregarded.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tir McDohl posted:

Oh god I just remembered there are two completely awful Final Fantasy anime too

Poor Gary if they meet that goal

Edit: A third with that new FFXV one but I haven't seen that yet and can't appraise its quality

Two? There's Unlimited and... what? Last Order?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CottonWolf posted:

Two? There's Unlimited and... what? Last Order?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy:_Legend_of_the_Crystals

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That looks truly awful.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

kirbysuperstar posted:

XI is still a post-EQ pre-WOW MMO, but they've tapered off a lot of the bullshit in the last couple years. You can almost immediately take four NPCs with you at all times and the Rhapsodies missions keep on giving you stacking +XP key items so you end up getting through things really fast. The days of crab farming in Valkurn are long gone.

It's still slow as gently caress and obtuse as all get out, but you can pretty much play it as a single player game now so hey.

That said, anyone wishing for it to come back and kill XIV is a grade-A idiot and should be wholly disregarded.

These are all true facts. There will be early hurdles for new players, like the non-traditional console-oriented UI and counterintuitive settings. Also, the PlayOnline Viewer and the whole patching process.

I hope the free downloadable version they put up for migrating console users has somewhat current data files.

Some of the stronger, more interesting aspects of the game still stand out, because graphical MMOs continued in such a different direction since then. Of course, you can never recapture the magic of the initial rush of western players blundering their way into a mysterious new world (with some pretty opaque systems) full of equally mysterious high level Japanese players who were at times helpful sages, and at others like aloof adults surrounded by children. Thanks to the keyword-based autotranslation system, international communication was always hilarious. It was some serious Darmok poo poo when you were out in the wilds trying to collaborate with someone on an already vaguely-defined quest using that system.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Woffle posted:

I am no joke outright sad I didn't think of First Cast. :(

The X-Men thing is amazingly fun to do, please go give the boys money so I can keep doing it. I want to do it forever.

As a tease: Gary's gambit voice is loving amazing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I hope the free downloadable version they put up for migrating console users has somewhat current data files.

I think it's the same as the current Steam installer, so it's everything up to Seekers of Adoulin and then it just patches in Rhapsodies of Vana'diel.

PlayOnline is such a fascinating piece of crap. I love it for that weird realization of "every computer is going to use this single program!" fantasy you see in anime like .hack and it totally doesn't work despite how Square tried to push it. Bonus points for almost every bit of info in that one loving FF9 strategy guide telling you to go to POL instead.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
No big deal, Bonfireside Chat just became the #1 video games podcast on itunes. Congrats guys!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Where do you see specifics like that? Itunes's store is terrible.

supersheep3000
Aug 28, 2015

AllisonByProxy posted:

No big deal, Bonfireside Chat just became the #1 video games podcast on itunes. Congrats guys!

Been listening since the start and I'm not surprised they are #1. It was pretty clear they would get a big following. Love both those guys, congrats.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
It's in ITunes under categories. It surfaces a ranking system of games and hobbies. They are sitting at #2 under car talk but above the giant bombast.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, much as I like the bombcast even today, it's definitely lost much of its charm from when it was the golden age of ryan, jeff, vinny and brad(and even patrick), though that's not their fault really, ryan suddenly passing and then vinny moved to new york. Though that brought us the beastcast, which is just incredible as well. So I can see another really well-received podcast overcoming the bombcast these days.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Uhh, sure whatever that was about. Actually pretty sure it's just ITunes algorithm for popularity is download based and an anticipated release date can make the numbers look bigger than they are. Hell, there was a time Giant Bombs interview feed was the most popular shows on all of iTunes because of them releasing 4 or 5 eps a day for 4 days.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

giant bombcast sometimes sounds so utterly lax in wanting to talk about anything that it gets difficult to parse through, especially when it's 2 and a half hours and it dives into a 30 minute segment about loving amiibos again

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Internet posted:

Uhh, sure whatever that was about. Actually pretty sure it's just ITunes algorithm for popularity is download based and an anticipated release date can make the numbers look bigger than they are. Hell, there was a time Giant Bombs interview feed was the most popular shows on all of iTunes because of them releasing 4 or 5 eps a day for 4 days.

So it's just iTunes being lovely as usual then?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MinibarMatchman posted:

giant bombcast sometimes sounds so utterly lax in wanting to talk about anything that it gets difficult to parse through, especially when it's 2 and a half hours and it dives into a 30 minute segment about loving amiibos again

Amiibo is the plural of amiibo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I just started playing Dark Souls 2 a few weeks ago and after I clear an area I listen to the corresponding episode about that zone. I've been keeping a pretty good pace so it's pretty obvious that all my downloads are what put them over the top.

In short, you're welcome Gary and Kole.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Amiibo is the plural of amiibo.

Let me show you my amiibos

supersheep3000
Aug 28, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, much as I like the bombcast even today, it's definitely lost much of its charm from when it was the golden age of ryan, jeff, vinny and brad(and even patrick), though that's not their fault really, ryan suddenly passing and then vinny moved to new york. Though that brought us the beastcast, which is just incredible as well. So I can see another really well-received podcast overcoming the bombcast these days.

Yeah, it's been said time and time again but the Giant Bombcast isn't nearly as good as it used to be. Hard to really top Ryan and Vinny, though. GB East is great and I'm actually loving the three of them plus Jeff. It seems like what the Giant Bombcast used to be like. Still love Giant Bomb, though, premium member .

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I started listening to GB the week before Ryan passed.

The show is different, but I still greatly enjoy it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm never able to keep up with WofF episodes so I just listened to the portal one and holy poo poo the "9/11 as a metric" bit killed me dead.

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
Is there a stated reason why Sean hasn't been on Idle Thumbs in so long? I don't mean to pry if it's some personal reason, but they've never acknowledged it (that I can remember anyway).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
2016 is the year of Breckon.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Koholint posted:

Is there a stated reason why Sean hasn't been on Idle Thumbs in so long? I don't mean to pry if it's some personal reason, but they've never acknowledged it (that I can remember anyway).

On the thumbs forums they said they wanted to lock down a more stable lineup after having like 5 rotating hosts.

I want more Vanaman. Lazy devs hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

On the thumbs forums they said they wanted to lock down a more stable lineup after having like 5 rotating hosts.

I want more Vanaman. Lazy devs hosts.

Sean was also just on the podcast less for work/life/etc reasons, and everyone was just kind of less consistently committed to showing up because when there are half a dozen people who CAN be there, any one individual person doesn't feel that personal individual responsibility to be there. So scheduling it was kind of becoming crappy for me since I had to cajole an arbitrary crew from a rotating cast each week, and it really made sense to try and say "Okay who is actually going to decide to commit to this thing every week?" Obviously Sean or others like Spaff are still around and no doubt will pop in but the musical chairs thing was becoming a real detriment to the sustainability of the show.

Chris Remo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 22, 2016

• Locked thread