Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

SelenicMartian posted:

I just realized my previous posts misrepresents Ben.

He expressed joy at the news of his teacher having cancer ~5000 quotes after saying a different teacher of his had died of a brain tumour.

but feel bad for him because he's fat.

e: chill catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

From http://www.wcnews.com/loaf/photos/room/101_0094.JPG

Exif data indicates Ben was 26 at the time and about to start employment at a school.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I got 2 reporters on the line now. Not sure how to present the info.

Just give them the links to the worst poo poo and say have fun?

Edit: And Sandi/Ben when you read this. gently caress both of you.
Edit2: And gently caress you guy trying to lock my account for $15.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 17, 2016

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

SabinBlitz posted:

i would. type in the search bar on his site anything that is racist or about rape and you'll get like 1000 hits. it's truly amazing.

tell them to start with hitler and rape.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

I ended up going to class last night. Which was okayer than I thought. Because my teacher announced she has cancer and is cancelling every class after next week. Sometimes luck just goes my way. #21083

what the gently caress

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

According to an reliable source, the origin of the moniker 'Bandit' is Ben's childhood dog of the same name.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

SabinBlitz posted:

probably with a summary that includes his history of moderation, particularly regarding women and dick wolf, and the part of the escapist article that accuses sandi of racist hiring practices

and then the parts where ben has tried to passive aggressively defend himself like "look we were all kids, i was in school" when he means teaching

make sure to include the ones where he talks about his very young female relatives creepily, even bad taste jokesters wouldn't bring up their sisters and poo poo.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Jon Do posted:

probably with a summary that includes his history of moderation, particularly regarding women and dick wolf, and the part of the escapist article that accuses sandi of racist hiring practices

and then the parts where ben has tried to passive aggressively defend himself like "look we were all kids, i was in school" when he means teaching

make sure to include the ones where he talks about his very young female relatives creepily, even bad taste jokesters wouldn't bring up their sisters and poo poo.

poo poo man. I didn't do that great in College with my English Writing classes but I'll do my best.

Edit: I don't even know where to link for the moderation, dick wolf and the article. I remember that poo poo when it happened but gently caress me if I can find it anymore.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It is one thing to be a piece of poo poo who makes jokes about loving kids, It's quite another to do so while employed at a school. After a few weeks, it would be practically impossible to muster the heart to make such jokes, and without feeling sick inside. It is similar to making jokes about abusing and mutilating animals, while working at an animal shelter.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

So I did these sketches based on the 7 deadly sins relating to the poem from WCIV... and naturally, Wrath was Kahn. But my teacher died of brain cancer before I could turn it in:( #15851

:how:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Einbauschrank posted:

Serious long-post:

I think the different headspace and time frame is all important.

You also have to remember that Ben was a physically ill loser who felt shunned by society (now he's only a physically ill loser who feels accepted by his peers). Losers clustering together and giving each other props for being "hardcore" is nothing extraordinary. It is easy to look back on your own 20ies and say "Hey, I wasn't as bad as Ben", but then most of us weren't half-blind, chubby outsiders channeling their life into some obsession about an arguably enjoyable gaming franchise with a thin story and a news anchor on national TV. I am a sucker for difficult phases in life and got to know enough people who had troubles fitting into society, most of whom had a big problem finding a girlfriend or getting laid until their mid or even late 20ies. And most suffer tremendously from this experience and either feel something is wrong with them or something is wrong with society.

If I look at cultists like B'Tak, Dowlphin and that "I feel empty, like death (sic)" guy, it is easy to imagine they might be at best excentric characters. Look at Bunnyman and the other guys posing as Star Citizens in the revealing photo contest. We deride them, but this is them self-fashioning themselves on the mental stage offered by CR. Even worse are the whales, who despite their flaws managed to make an earning and now try to buy social prestige by "investing" into this circus freak show of a Space Sim. DickWulf, Seraph and weesha - nobody would argue they are well-rounded personalities.

As long as we poke fun at them in this thread: That's fine. But reaching out to destroy their livelihood - like siccening SJWs on a obviously unhealthy Ben - is to my mind callous if not sadistic and will not help them to find some solace late in their life.

Then, and just a thought, spitballing here, don't get a bloody job that puts you smack in the middle of the public loving eye on a regular basis as the primary mouthpiece of a company that is, in the worst case criminal, and in the best, criminally incompetent.

At this point, people should know that if you become a "celebrity" EVERY GODDAMN ROCK YOU HAVE EVER STEPPED ON IN YOUR LIFE WILL BE TURNED OVER LOOKING FOR SOMETHING NASTY. So, if you suspect this might be you, take a nice normal job and don't be going "LOOKIT ME! I'S FAMOUS! EVERYONE LOVES ME!"

So, yeah, he decided to leave CIG and go back to WC vlogging, I will cut him SOME slack (as long as I see proof his nose is still clean). As long as he is front and center as a CIG VIP, I say MAN THE HARPOONS, BOYS!

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

hakimashou posted:

Plus even a cursory look at the shitizen fan base, with its heavy concentration of reddophiles and their jumping to ben's defense makes it very clear he hasnt actually done anything wrong by them.

It's not hard to figure out a lot of these shitizens are just licking their lips at the prospect of getting to use their 5 grand worth of space ships to brutalize 'whiny SJWs in the verse,' you know, those butthurt special snowflakes and millenials from twitter.

The best part is its a win win for the Goons.The game doesn't come out,Derek was right.The game comes out 10% what croberts promised,the goons band together 15 strong and B'Tak feels grief.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

SabinBlitz posted:

poo poo man. I didn't do that great in College with my English Writing classes but I'll do my best.

yeah I just brought it up because it has been my concern since earlier that an outside observer might gloss over the true significance of these quotes...

especially since you really gotta read a few of them to get the picture, much less all the other contextual poo poo.

i'm way too sleep deprived atm to go back and dig through the thread for the relevant links, sorry

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

SabinBlitz posted:

Can't wait to see if someone can actually write something sensible or meaningful out of this mess.. and get it published.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Caught up with the thread

:yikes:

P.P.S: I am not a CIG employee or paid shill or anything. Please stop stalking me.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

yeah unless you've been following this thread for a while nothing is going to make enough sense to give enough of a poo poo about to figure out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Yo I heard Elite is an inch deep and a mile wide :smug:

You get the same result if you took Ben's skin and spread it out.

edit: derp

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
"Ben, I'm sorry that it's come to this, but we need more time," Croberts explained, gesticulating wildly.
"But, but Chris, you can't-" Ben stammered through a veil of tears.
Croberts cut him off. "Time to realize the dreams, to make them real. You, of all people, should understand that."
"But I've given everything to you, to your dream!"
"You have given me disappointment, Ben. There is but one way now you can redeem yourself, and still serve me. See to it."
With a sob, the spheroid meat mass stumbled his way out of the office, towards home.

It took hours, but finally his preparations were complete. As he settled into the tub, Ben took in the pictures of Kerri Lee taped to the walls. She can't ignore me now, he thought to himself. He lifted the chain of his necklace over his head with an air of solemnity. Grasping his Pilgrim's Cross, he closed his eyes and prayed.
My life for the Stimperor.
Ben pressed the switch on the face of the cross and a small blade sprung from the bottom. He set it firmly against his left wrist and bore down upon it. The dull blade of the cheap movie prop sank deep into the voluminous blubber surrounding his wrist, but did not cut. Grunting, he applied all the might he could muster. With a tinny *twang* the blade snapped at the tang and flew across the bathroom, skittering out of reach under the sink.
Sweet Croberts, I'll have to find another way, he thought to himself. With a grunt, he attempted to rise, but the tub would not release its grasp. He had filled it so completely that he had formed an airtight seal. It wasn't until after another hour of futile attempts to exit the tub that the true horror of his predicament set in. No one would come for him. His wife had left him days earlier upon hearing the news. He couldn't escape under his own power. He couldn't even end himself. Water he had aplenty, but no food. He was going to starve to death... and at his weight, he would spend months doing it.

The last thing he ever saw as the candles burned down was the mocking smile of Kerri Lee.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know how I'm ever going to dig my way out of this negative karma reddit hole now.

Is there a negative karma limit where Obama just drone bombs your house?

I have been upvoting everyone I know like a boss, but I am still down at -10 myself. These are the costs we have to pay, the sacrifice we have to make to win this war.

Despite it all, brother-Sergeant, there are casualties on both fronts. We need to hold the line. We let one of these past us, there'll be hell to pay. For the sake of mankind, WE MUST HOLD THE LINE!

</wh40kspeech>

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 17, 2016

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

i am harry posted:

yeah unless you've been following this thread for a while nothing is going to make enough sense to give enough of a poo poo about to figure out.

idk when i saw that one picture i posted with the pickpocketing warning flier moved over to the black history flier

he had to at least think it was funny to take the picture, and probably set it up himself

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Going by what Chris Roberts has said, it seems that during production the movie wasn't intended to be part of the same fictional universe as the games. The original relationship between the two was apparently like the relationship between the Spider-Man comics and movies, where the later compresses and incorporates various plot points from the entire run of the former. The Spider-Man movies had their own interpretations of stories like "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" and "Spectacular Spider-Man 200," like the WC movie had its versions of Bossman's death with Angel on his wing (SM2) and Paladin's work with Special Ops (WC2).

I think it was Chris McCubbin, who did the Confederation Handbook tie-in book, who said all this - not Chris Roberts. Peter Lamont, the production designer on the actual movie, insisted at the time that it was the same continuity.

(And there's good reason for that right there in the comic analogy - one of the building blocks of these superhero worlds is that there *are* multiple continuities to begin with. That pre-existing idea isn't there for Wing Commander.)

A great many of the "inconsistencies" have been fit into the canon, some more believably than others (for example, the "Rapiers" in the movie are a predecessor fighter to the Rapier II's that appear in WC1 and 2, not the same ships, which is certainly plausible,

I don't think it's just plausible, it's necessary: since later games refer to the 'Rapier II' as such then there *always* had to be an earlier unrelated Rapier design (regardless of the movie).

but less plausible is that Bossman is only "thought" dead in the movie and somehow is found to only be MIA, not KIA, and comes back later... I'm not clear on how that could happen, though...)

This is, of course, background that hasn't actually been stated anywhere... but I think immediately of the line from one of the Forstchen novels about how no one ever gets listed as MIA - the family is told they're dead because the alternative of life as a Kilrathi POW/slave/dinner is so much worse.

1) They tried to fit way too many references in there and it was distracting. "Paladin"'s Covert Ops (WC2), Skipper Missiles (WC3), Mandarin Traitors (WC2), Concordia (WC2), The delaying action mentioned in, I believe, Claw Marks (WC1), WC1 storyline (WC1), Marines (WC4), etc.

I'm writing my omnibus post out of order, so I apologize if this doesn't make sense until you've finished reading it... but: I think this is a *trademark* of Chris Roberts. He *loves* high concept stuff and he's excellent at identifying it... but not so hot at integrating it. He went through and picked out all the cool stuff he did in the games and then added stuff he'd come up with that was cool since then (ie, the submarine motif) and put it all together.

I think the consensus is that it is the same "Tiger(s) Claw", but that it has a predominantly different fighter loadout in the movie.

Raptors, Hornets and Scimitars actually show up in the novels description of the Tiger's Claw's complement.

I agree with many of your points. It always seeemed to me that when they made the movie, they made a conscious decision to throw in a bunch of references to the games that would be lost on the casual viewer but resonate with dedicated fans...hence, when they needed a recently dead pilot, they named him Bossman because he dies in the games. When they needed to name the fighters, they called them "Rapiers" because Rapier-class fighters feature prominently in the games. I would well believe the comment that originally the movie wasn't supposed to be a strict prequel with perfect continuity, but rather a re-imagining, and only after the fact (or after people who cared more passionately about the universe got control of things), did they try to fit it in.

It's just a shame that when they decided to throw in references, they didn't have someone who was more careful about continuity suggesting what references to throw in. For example, instead of having Bossman be the recently dead pilot, why not have "Tooner" or "Dribbles" be the recently dead pilot? Same hat tip to people that have played the game, but fits perfectly into the WC1 continuity without needing creative explanation. Or instead of calling the old obselete fighters on the Tiger Claw "Rapiers", and then having to explain that they are a different fighter than the Rapier II that the game players know and love, why not call them "Scimitars" or "Raptors"--which the game already established are aging fighters that were on the Tiger's Claw? And why call the secret Special Forces frenchman "Paladin", when the game has already established that Paladin was (probably) not in special forces at that time, that he was Scottish, and that he was a pilot that had served on the "Claw" for a long time. Why not make your cool frenchman an entirely new character...it wouldn't have detracted from the story of the movie, and hardcore WC fans would probably perfer it, because it requries less explanation within the universe continuity.

One thing we have to understand is that 'our' concept of Wing Commander is different from the one Chris Roberts has - the one he feels like he owns and that he gave birth to. We may see ten thousand alternatives to Bossman and we may have an elaborate backstory created by novels and hint books that we assosciate with that particular character... but for Chris that isn't necessarily the case. To him, Bossman is one of the key characters he put in to his original game. That's why we see Angel, Maniac, Knight, Spirit (cut), Bossman, Paladin, etc. He felt they were characters that mattered.

and they really could have got somebody better for Maniac (Maybe I'm jaded by Tom Wilson's amazing performance as the character. Maniac is supposed to be nutty and over the top, but not annoying)

I think it has already been said, but I do agree that Lillard did a better job of playing the original Maniac than Tom Wilson did.

And I think they could have done without the Rosie character for Maniac, it was bad enough that they shoehorned in the Angel/Blair romantic subplot from WC2 so early, as I thought it was perfectly done in WC2 (a slowly developing friendship that is thrown together through tragedy befalling both protaganists).

I would say that these are two separate and important aspects taken right from - gasp - the original Wing Commander. Maniac's character maturing after he actually suffers through war (destroying the Drayman in WC1) and the player having a crush on Angel.

And the road to Hell is paved with posts like yours.

Don't do this. People are welcome to post whatever they like (on topic) - and this particular discussion is one that's always interesting.

Of course I was bothered by the lack of fur for the Kilrathi and this strange green grass but what bothered me mostly was that they looked so @#$%&! cheap, like very bad stop motion puppets from decades ago. I was embarrassed.

So were the people who made the movie.

It's funny, if you go back to chat logs from when Wing Commander was in development, I kept saying things like "I'll believe it when I see it". It was hard to believe, and harder now to believe that we actually got a movie.

The weird thing, in looking back on that material, is that the various rumors and leaks over the years were absolutely genuine. Look back at the "Phoenix Pictures Memo" that was so hotly debated in 1996: http://wcnews.com/movie/art3.shtml (I now suspect that Chris Roberts leaked this to Reaver on purpose; that's just how he works...)

There's a log from #Wing-Commander somewhere, too, where someone working on the then-rumored movie in Luxembourg comes in and makes a bunch of claims. We ask where the movie is set (?!) and they say the 'Ulysses Corridor' which confuses everybody. If only we'd known...

No, tell me all about it!! (Vision Quest)

It was the scout ship from "False Colors"!

the claw looks identical in WC1, Wing Commander 2's intro, the box art and even the cartoon, it looks totally different in the movie.

I will note that the Tiger's Claw did change completely in Super Wing Commander. I'm not a huge fan of how it worked in the movie (I think the submarine idea is great, but in the wrong place) in general, but I don't think I could expect it to look just like it did in Wing Commander I and on Academy. (Does anyone remember when everyone complained about Academy on this exact point instead of praising it? Why'd they change the whole front of the ship?!)

Also please note that the briefing scenes and universe maps deviate in the cartoon and in the movie, the briefing room does not feature a table-wide screen attached to a wall for looking over starmaps, like the cartoon, the briefing maps are holographic projections.

I think these are supposed to be different sets. In the movie we only ever see bridge table where the Captain and the XO work (and then brief Wing Commanders)... the only briefing scene for ordinary pilots happens on the flight deck. (Remember Wing Commander III - Captain Eisen briefs Colonel Blair with a holographic table... Blair then gives a traditional briefing to his pilots.)

This discussion does keep it going, when will the day comes when Chris Roberts signs in and awnsers all your questions, or announces a new game, i'm pretty sure he reads some stuff here every now in then, wing commander was his creation, and part of his legacy.

I think the one really special thing that everyone forgets about Wing Commander is what it means that the film was made by Chris Roberts. In *every* other case of game-to-movie, the film exists because the rights owner wanted a quick way to cash in on their IP. Mario Brothers, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Dungeon Siege, Max Payne, etc. all started based on the realization that their publisher could get several hundred thousand dollars in trade for the film rights.

That didn't happen on Wing Commander. Chris Roberts believed in the project and did it himself... which was no small task. He took a huge risk acquiring the rights for it in the first place (supposedly giving up his stake in EA in trade) and then building his own production company and effects house to make the thing. It's a weird labor of love in a sea of movies that exist because of their names alone.

That's not a judgement, one way or the other - but it alone impresses me, and helps me understand how much care he put into the whole of the series from day one.

Bandit LOAF, Mar 11, 2009

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Lord Kinbote posted:

The best part is its a win win for the Goons.The game doesn't come out,Derek was right.The game comes out 10% what croberts promised,the goons band together 15 strong and B'Tak feels grief.

I know you're just using B'Tak as an example, but there's no way he will stick around to feel grief if the game ever gets released. He'll quit after the first adverse experience and start writing extensive letters to his local government representative asking for legislative protections in online gaming.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Preechr posted:

"Ben, I'm sorry that it's come to this, but we need more time," Croberts explained, gesticulating wildly.
Croberts cut him off. "Time to realize the dreams, to make them real. You, of all people, should understand that."
"You have given me disappointment, Ben. There is but one way now you can redeem yourself, and still serve me. See to it."
With a sob, the spheroid meat mass stumbled his way out of the office, towards home.

It took hours, but finally his preparations were complete. As he settled into the tub, Ben took in the pictures of Kerri Lee taped to the walls. She can't ignore me now, he thought to himself. He lifted the chain of his necklace over his head with an air of solemnity. Grasping his Pilgrim's Cross, he closed his eyes and prayed.
Ben pressed the switch on the face of the cross and a small blade sprung from the bottom. He set it firmly against his left wrist and bore down upon it. The dull blade of the cheap movie prop sank deep into the voluminous blubber surrounding his wrist, but did not cut. Grunting, he applied all the might he could muster. With a tinny *twang* the blade snapped at the tang and flew across the bathroom, skittering out of reach under the sink.
Sweet Croberts, I'll have to find another way, he thought to himself. With a grunt, he attempted to rise, but the tub would not release its grasp. He had filled it so completely that he had formed an airtight seal. It wasn't until after another hour of futile attempts to exit the tub that the true horror of his predicament set in. No one would come for him. His wife had left him days earlier upon hearing the news. He couldn't escape under his own power. He couldn't even end himself. Water he had aplenty, but no food. He was going to starve to death... and at his weight, he would spend months doing it.

The last thing he ever saw as the candles burned down was the mocking smile of Kerri Lee.

:stonk:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Preechr posted:

i feel like im there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There are ten commandments... I don't think there's one I wouldn't break to get the WC movie script. #9322

Yeah, I wish I was a kid so I wouldn't worry about sex. Then I could focus on Star Trek spinoff products more. #21553

This guy is the same sex-craving kiddie-porn loving X-wing player as we fended off before:( #14982

:ironicat:

I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I'm-a nice-guy. #20177

Ben's old defence.

And this really should be repeated, as it explains the way CIG community treated that old SC-playing man.

SelenicMartian posted:

I ended up going to class last night. Which was okayer than I thought. Because my teacher announced she has cancer and is cancelling every class after next week. Sometimes luck just goes my way. #21083

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

SabinBlitz posted:

I would come at it from the angle that Ben is the Community Manager for CIG, thus is directly responsible for representing the company. A company which has already had allegations of racism made about it.

Then give some overview about the lead up, that Ben posted this link on Twitter for all to see stating that he still found some of it funny. That it's a website with an extensive gallery of a news anchor and a quote database from a chat room he used to frequent when he was 25, with the majority of (if not all) quotes attributed to him.

Move on to show them some of the worst queries, such as "rape" "sex with" "hitler" "jews" "friend of the family"

Reiterate that this was a while ago now, possibly towards 2008. That Ben is however old now (DOB 19th April 1981)

However, he is a representative of the community and he has no issues with hosting offensive hate speech on his personal website. Then link to his statement where he doesn't apologise for any of it but gives some sort of excuse.

That would probably provide the most balanced view.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nobody else tried shrinking parpcorn?

Small fits into whatever size restriction SA mentions for buy a smilie. Medium is just under 100kb

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Goobs posted:

you motherfuckers need poutine in your life. like, real poutine.

poutine is gross dude.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Toops posted:

poutine is gross dude.

I WILL FIGHT YOU

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Hezzy posted:

I would come at it from the angle that Ben is the Community Manager for CIG, thus is directly responsible for representing the company. A company which has already had allegations of racism made about it.

Then give some overview about the lead up, that Ben posted this link on Twitter for all to see stating that he still found some of it funny. That it's a website with an extensive gallery of a news anchor and a quote database from a chat room he used to frequent when he was 25, with the majority of (if not all) quotes attributed to him.

Move on to show them some of the worst queries, such as "rape" "sex with" "hitler" "jews" "friend of the family"

Reiterate that this was a while ago now, possibly towards 2008. That Ben is however old now (DOB 19th April 1981)

However, he is a representative of the community and he has no issues with hosting offensive hate speech on his personal website. Then link to his statement where he doesn't apologise for any of it but gives some sort of excuse.

That would probably provide the most balanced view.

Can I get the twitter link of him saying he doesn't apologize for it? I'm looking for it too but off chance you already have it..I can only find the initial post and the one about a spider page.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 17, 2016

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Toops posted:

poutine is gross dude.

i feel like i don't even know who you are anymore.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Poutine is delicious and anybody that hates poutine hasn't had an actual poutine.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

SabinBlitz posted:

Can I get the twitter link of him saying he doesn't apologize for it? I'm looking for it too but off chance you already have it..

http://banditloaf.livejournal.com/105991.html

he said some other poo poo but this is prolly the best one

e: I neither remember the whole stories on his singling out women on their forums, nor DickWulf (though iirc it basically amounted to 'Wulf stalked female Citizens, Ben was notified, did nothing because Wulf is a whale') but someone else may be able to link

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 17, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No clue, all coming from a giant cookbook on cheese :shrug:

So, proper bedtime snack then?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

SabinBlitz posted:

Can I get the twitter link of him saying he doesn't apologize for it? I'm looking for it too but off chance you already have it..

http://banditloaf.livejournal.com/105991.html

Can't see anything on Twitter.

TL;DR

Doesn't acknowledge the quote database, the post is about the LiveJournal and trolling. States he was "in a bad place". Doesn't apologise once for the awful content he is still hosting.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

lol

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Going to have to agree with toops on this, poutine is meh at best. Beef gravy on french fries is a crime... Never mind how fast it becomes a soggy mess of sadness

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Einbauschrank posted:

I used to work on the application of "Reference Framework" to historical questions, especially the coping with ruptered biogrpahies and how people (re-)invent themselves and their actions. This is another reason I feel triggered by this BenDrama. And I think his reaction is pretty normal.

It is easier to accept yourself doing stupid (or no longer accepted) things at an earlier point in life if you are a stable person and in stable surroundings. The more obnoxious the former you used to be, the more difficult it becomes to acknowledge it. Few people are willing to accept that might have been broken douche bags or misguided morons at some point of their life. This is not how you construct your own identity and biography, especially not if your autistic obsession has finally rewarded you with a job next to one of the people you fantasized over.

Ben has to find his old stuff humorous, because else he would have to acknowledge how deep in the mental gutter he used to be. He still is in the shitter, as the "stability" he enjoys at the moment is due to external circumstances that are probably not reproducable by himself once SC is over (one way or the other). I'd guess his ego is still brittle as a dried up turd. But that's only my take at kitchen sink psychology.

He lies to backers about fake spaceship jpegs, and he has a massive web database of some legitimately creeper/stalker rear end poo poo that he refuses to take down.

Dude I get it, this is like an interesting field of study for you, but this isn't a game. That's a real person he has over 1000 photos of. That's real money getting burned in the Crobberts dream furnace. Those are real middle school boys and girls Ben worked around at the time he was making those posts.

You seem to have some personal investment in his redemption, but I'm not just gonna let you have it. His actions today reflect a man every bit as delusional and demented as he's ever been.

Remember, this is a guy who cried after watching the Gary Oldman Paaarp speech.

Cried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

LMFAO dude that is a SAVAGE burn.

• Locked thread