Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
It's interesting to pop into these sorts of threads from time to time, like anytime you venture into one, you're put in a whole new world where people you don't recognize from anywhere are wishing death upon people who do things you couldn't care less about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

John Denver Hoxha posted:

It's interesting to pop into these sorts of threads from time to time, like anytime you venture into one, you're put in a whole new world where people you don't recognize from anywhere are wishing death upon people who do things you couldn't care less about

makes u think

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Ars Arcanum posted:

I wonder when we will get the first child sacrifice victim on the mountain. Hopefully never, but the abundance of stupid rich people, including those willing to risk their children's lives for bragging rights, makes it seem inevitable.

Woulda made a good side bet.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Zo posted:

Most of the Sherpas are probably greedy assholes in it for money anyway. It only makes sense that the mountain is just full of assholes. Their income is peanuts compared to Western guides but they still make like 5x-10x the average Nepal income plus summiting bonuses, so there's always gonna be a huge greed factor.

Sherpas gotta sherp bro

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

first anime avatar of a woman to summit everest thread with observation

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Sounds like we should just rename Everest Mt. rear end in a top hat.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Sounds like we should just rename Everest Mt. rear end in a top hat.

No that's K2.

People just die on Everest, K2 goes out of her way to kill them.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I wonder if anybody has smoked the nasty fake weed chemical K2 while on the mountain K2. I kind of want to be the first to achieve this feat

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

I wonder if anybody has smoked the nasty fake weed chemical K2 while on the mountain K2. I kind of want to be the first to achieve this feat

You can almost certainly be the first to die trying! :toot:

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Nether Postlude posted:

Hooray!! The 2016 Everest Climbing Season has BEGUN!!!

Forgive my deteriorating memory if the link was already posted earlier in the thread, but like in previous years, Alan Arnette is covering the season on his blog: http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/everest/everest-2016-coverage/

If there are any more earthquakes, if the Sherpas eat Tim Medvitz or if the mountain splits in two to reveal the gates of hell, you should hear about it there.

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"
Didn't see this posted in the OP but I enjoyed this documentary about the Canadian lady, who seemed ....ill prepared.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

webmeister posted:

That spoiled brat kid is in for a serious shock if he wants to do any mountain climbing in Australia! Our highest mountain is 2200m and is about an hour's chairlift + leisurely walk from the carpark.

The last time I walked up, there was a stag party at the top - complete with 30 blokes drinking beer and the stag in a snazzy cocktail dress & heels combo.

Apparently some of the Tasmanian mountains have killed people - but usually not due to the altitude. Usually it's due to the person climbing said mountain doing so in shorts and a singlet not realising it can go from 24c to like -10 in the space of an hour down here. It can and does snow out of nowhere. Or they just think "Tassie is tiny, you can't get lost there" and promptly get lost because it is tiny and therefor gently caress all people live here and most of it is scrub/bush/forest with no phone reception. One person was found dead from exposure about 10 minutes from a town.

Bonus for us is that the Tassie devils are great scavengers, they like to eat pretty much everything including bones and sometimes the only thing search teams (or whoever happens on the body) find are a few leftover bits of backpack or a wallet or something.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Alpenglow posted:

That's not the Three Sisters. :colbert:

Three Sisters is... the Three Sisters. The family being from Yorba Linda (Orange County nouveau riche) makes so much sense.

They're from Yorba Linda? Holy gently caress, that explains everything.

Also, I'm throwing in a side-bet (even though betting is closed 'cause that's how I roll).

Someone in a red jacket (parka...whatever) will get an icepick to the skull.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dead Precedents posted:

Also, I'm throwing in a side-bet (even though betting is closed 'cause that's how I roll).

Someone in a red jacket (parka...whatever) will get an icepick to the skull.

are you climbing the mountain?:tinfoil:

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

are you climbing the mountain?:tinfoil:

Hell no. I'm not that stupid.* I'm just taking a guess that someone is going to go crazy up there and slam their climbing pick into someone's head who is wearing a red jacket.

*Though still stupid

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

wintrrmute posted:

Didn't see this posted in the OP but I enjoyed this documentary about the Canadian lady, who seemed ....ill prepared.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

"You have one life, live it."

LOL

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Add it to OP

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Shinjobi posted:

Add it to OP

its like opening a fine bottle of wine and getting a sniff of what you're about to enjoy.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

DumbparameciuM posted:

Woulda made a good side bet.

There's always next climbing season :unsmigghh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Add it to OP

I've been reading Viesturs' Everest book and his central point is exactly that. "You only have one life, so live it. That means listening and thinking things through and turning around and getting off the drat mountain when it's time to go."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Dead Precedents posted:

i predict this person will die on everest:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Updated the DeathPool in the OP.

Tim Medvitz as a guide just makes me :ughh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rondette posted:

Updated the DeathPool in the OP.

Tim Medvitz as a guide just makes me :ughh:

Mansplain plz

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Mansplain plz

I can Ladysplain.

The long story is contained within the Discovery show 'Everest:Beyond the Limit' in which walking 'RUFTY TUFTY USA BIKER' stereotype Tim Medvitz attempts to scale Everest. He was in an accident (which iirc was on Sept 11 2001) which the show tells you about at least 3 times a show, and is packed full of metal pins, staples and other stuff, so that makes him SPESHUL. He is climbing with Russell Brice's Himex outfit, regarded as the best on the Mountain. However being an American Stereotype he thinks he knows better than the leader and veteran Brice and frequently ignores his demands to come back and generally pises Brice off with his 'If you can dream it you can do it' attitude which people like Brice are not fans of, especially if it leads to a fatality on the mountain and a spot on Brice's (so-far) spotless 0 Fatalities rate.

Here is a video with his INJURIES montage included which you will see a lot if you watch the show (which is, having said that, is a Good Show)
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/everest/videos/everest-beyond-the-limit-tim-medvetz/

He's not a BAD GUY, he treats the Sherpas with respect and knows a bit of Nepalese, but, he's the antithesis of everything that Brice is. (edit-oh yeah he got to the top of Everest the next year, breaking his hand in the process and neglecting to tell base camp who surely would have told him to return immediately)

You could also watch this video-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOpVGeGKFs

VVV Ha ha yeah drat I had forgotten that VVV

Rondette fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 18, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Don't forget he was engaged to Cher too

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Given the choice between dying a miserable, frozen pointless death on Everest or being married to Cher, I'm going to take the mountain every time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Congratulations, you're married to Cher."

"Wow, uh, anyway. Can I borrow $40,000 and enough oxygen to make it 95% up to the summit of say, I don't know, Everest?"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If anyone hasn't been there yet, Cher's Twitter feed is a national treasure.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It's been ages since I've watched Ever-rest-rest-rest-rest but Medvetz came off okay from what I remember? IIRC most of the stupid poo poo was producers lionising him for knowing Hollywood people (biker builder to the STARS).

Obviously he was underprepared and blithely assumed willpower would make up for shortcomings in ability, but I think that describes the majority of people who attempt Everest.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Oh my god, it so is. I had no idea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There were a lot of idiots on that show. Like the guy who didn't even make it to the top but just had to take his gloves off and take a picture with his flag. Then he lost the top half of most of his fingers to frostbite.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

webmeister posted:

It's been ages since I've watched Ever-rest-rest-rest-rest but Medvetz came off okay from what I remember? IIRC most of the stupid poo poo was producers lionising him for knowing Hollywood people (biker builder to the STARS).

Obviously he was underprepared and blithely assumed willpower would make up for shortcomings in ability, but I think that describes the majority of people who attempt Everest.

He comes off particularly badly on summit day because they have so much footage of him to show - again and again, Brice tells him to start descending and Tim insists he can still make it even though he obviously can't move, and then when he does start descending, he just sits down over and over while the sherpa screams at him to keep moving. That happens to many people on the mountain, and it looks like Gerard is a worse client than Tim even just within the HimEx group, but they have so much Tim footage that they really shove it in your face.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

There were a lot of idiots on that show. Like the guy who didn't even make it to the top but just had to take his gloves off and take a picture with his flag. Then he lost the top half of most of his fingers to frostbite.

He took his gloves off in an environment that hovers around 0 degrees Fahrenheit? Da gently caress is wrong with people?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rondette posted:

I can Ladysplain.

The long story is contained within the Discovery show 'Everest:Beyond the Limit' in which walking 'RUFTY TUFTY USA BIKER' stereotype Tim Medvitz attempts to scale Everest. He was in an accident (which iirc was on Sept 11 2001) which the show tells you about at least 3 times a show, and is packed full of metal pins, staples and other stuff, so that makes him SPESHUL. He is climbing with Russell Brice's Himex outfit, regarded as the best on the Mountain. However being an American Stereotype he thinks he knows better than the leader and veteran Brice and frequently ignores his demands to come back and generally pises Brice off with his 'If you can dream it you can do it' attitude which people like Brice are not fans of, especially if it leads to a fatality on the mountain and a spot on Brice's (so-far) spotless 0 Fatalities rate.

Here is a video with his INJURIES montage included which you will see a lot if you watch the show (which is, having said that, is a Good Show)
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/everest/videos/everest-beyond-the-limit-tim-medvetz/

He's not a BAD GUY, he treats the Sherpas with respect and knows a bit of Nepalese, but, he's the antithesis of everything that Brice is. (edit-oh yeah he got to the top of Everest the next year, breaking his hand in the process and neglecting to tell base camp who surely would have told him to return immediately)

You could also watch this video-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOpVGeGKFs

VVV Ha ha yeah drat I had forgotten that VVV

dude looks like John McAfee. A walking Vice documentary

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Alan Smithee posted:

dude looks like John McAfee. A walking Vice documentary

yeah total douche vibe

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

someone should tell Cher a 14 year old girl has hijacked her name

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dead Precedents posted:

He took his gloves off in an environment that hovers around 0 degrees Fahrenheit? Da gently caress is wrong with people?

It's almost like people can't think properly when their brains are starved of oxygen

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

webmeister posted:

It's almost like people can't think properly when their brains are starved of oxygen

Welcome to the Republican Party :smug:

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Goodness, looks like some sanity's slipping in:

"Nepal bans novice climbers from Everest, considers more limits"
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/29/travel/nepal-everest-limits-feat/

"Now, the country has banned climbers who have not previously reached the peak of at least one 6,500-meter (21,325-foot) mountain, according to Sapkota. This will weed out less-experienced climbers who critics say pose a safety threat to themselves and others.

The ministry, which has the authority under Nepalese law to set conditions for climbing permits, is also considering setting minimum and maximum age limits for climbers, and rejecting those who are visually or physically disabled."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are they hoping that by consuming stronger souls, the mountain will eat less people?