Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I hate Tom as much as anyone in this thread ever hated Liz, as he is an incredibly flat network tv carbon copy of any forgettable spy movie action hero guy ever, and he should have been off the show after his original (and only good) storyline ended. So if Liz really is dead and Tom is going away to be on a new show, Blacklist can only go up from here. :toot:

Also please give cool old crime scene lady more scenes, I've always liked her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

mushroom_spore posted:

I hate Tom as much as anyone in this thread ever hated Liz, as he is an incredibly flat network tv carbon copy of any forgettable spy movie action hero guy ever, and he should have been off the show after his original (and only good) storyline ended. So if Liz really is dead and Tom is going away to be on a new show, Blacklist can only go up from here. :toot:

There's no place for you in this thread.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

buddhanc posted:

Remington Alexander Blackstock is definitely a shadowy arms dealer that does business with any government for a price.

Or an English pedophile (that is to say, a nobleman).

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

mushroom_spore posted:

I can't stand Tom either. Every time he shows up the focus of the show changes from James Spader being smug and awesome to some kind of awful spy rom-com with significantly less smugness and spaderness and significantly more characters and storylines I don't give a poo poo about. I don't want to know about Liz's home life. I really don't want her to be anything but a two-dimensional foil that follows Reddington around and acts surprised so he'll explain things to the audience. I don't want to know about Tom's tortured past regret bullshit, his relationship with Liz, Liz's loving baby, their plans for the future, ugh. Who cares. This show would be so much better if it just stuck to the goofy villain-of-the-week plotlines.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Heyyyy....remember The Cabal and how they were this super-dangerous group? Haha well, gently caress you, that story arc went nowhere. We might bring it back, but ~meh~.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Heyyyy....remember The Cabal and how they were this super-dangerous group? Haha well, gently caress you, that story arc went nowhere. We might bring it back, but ~meh~.
You know what plot would make sense? Old Lady Awesome figured out that Red got a seat with The Cabal and doesn't approve of it and Lizzie's predicament is the straw that's breakin' her back so she does the whole fake-death thing to get her away from him but also to get to the beach Tom was talking about because everyone knows that the best place to run away from the Cabal with your hubbie and newborn child is a beach.

But I hope Lizzie is dead.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wonder if they've finally run out of cheesy music after this episode.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I was thinking about 1/3 into the episode that killing Agent Keen was just about the only textbook swerve the show could do to prove that it had any kind balls or direction at all, but sadly knowing the soulless procedural grist mill it remains to be seen if they don't cop out with another massive chickenshit reversal.

It's worthy to note that they dropped a commercial break in the middle of her actual death, which is the hallmark of a dramatic move not to be taken seriously on network television. The odds aren't good but it would be swell if they decline to hit the plot reset ejection button and actually do something interesting with the interstitial scenes between Spader hamming it to the maximum.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Except, except- if Keen really IS dead (oh god, please be dead, please be dead) that loving baby is still around so we'll get to suffer through at least a season of the wacky hijinks of Reddington with a baby carrier on his back. And Reddington trying to make Dembe change diapers. And ha-hah the baby has Reddington's gun again! That wacky crime lord and his weird not-a-grandchild! What crazy adventures will they get into now?! Uh oh, the baby's been kidnapped again! For the fifth time this season! Won't those gun smugglers ever learn?!

And that's the BEST CASE SCENARIO.

The WORST case scenario is the boring adventures of boring single dad-spy as he navigates the boring world of daycare while not actually having a job. "Oh yeah, old lady dean of admissions for this private pre-school, we'll just see about you not letting my kid in! I'll use my crazy spy skills to break into your office and change my kid's file to accepted! That'll teach you to mess with spy-dad!"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I was thinking about 1/3 into the episode that killing Agent Keen was just about the only textbook swerve the show could do to prove that it had any kind balls or direction at all, but sadly knowing the soulless procedural grist mill it remains to be seen if they don't cop out with another massive chickenshit reversal.

It's worthy to note that they dropped a commercial break in the middle of her actual death, which is the hallmark of a dramatic move not to be taken seriously on network television. The odds aren't good but it would be swell if they decline to hit the plot reset ejection button and actually do something interesting with the interstitial scenes between Spader hamming it to the maximum.

24 was the best at faking deaths but making them believable.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HookShot posted:

24 was the best at faking deaths but making them believable.

I honestly expected Edgar to come back all swole and evil.

"Turns out fat people are immune to nerve gas. I just went into a coma and came out of it all buff." :smug:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I honestly expected Edgar to come back all swole and evil.

"Turns out fat people are immune to nerve gas. I just went into a coma and came out of it all buff." :smug:

Yeah, that was the thing about 24. You were never really actually sure if someone died. I actually spent most of Die Another Day thinking the president had sacrificed himself because they just did that so well.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

mushroom_spore posted:

I agree with this 100%. Unfortunately, your hope for a better tomorrow is a pipe dream.

The entire episode was an excellent example of how a show can wack it's viewers repeatedly over the head with 2x4's (aka 'clues) in order to lead them to an obvious path.

There was Red getting pissed at Danbe, the old broad (whom I adore), Tom, aka the "let's show Red that Red can't protect Keen" sequence,

There was Red ordering a shitload of hospital equipment to a nightclub while being actively surveiled. Even with the 'hole' in the surveillance, it would have been noticed, especially with the 'Enemy of the State' assumption this show insists one makes. aka the we're going to get noticed and have to leave in a hurry' sequence.

Dr. On-Call is probably tired of being Dr. On-Call.

Likely plan: Old-Broad and Danbe nudge Dr. On-Call to fake her death *without* Red's knowledge. Dr. On-Call injects the Pon-Farr poo poo Kirk got knowing Red would insist that 'his people' handle the arrangements while red heads out for air after being rejected. Bag her, resuscitate her (anybody notice how fast Old Broad was hauling the gurney to the Meat Wagon? Don't want Miss Pretty to melt in the bag before she can be resuscitated!), and either cut-out Tom and her go to new show or just Tom goes to new show.

Tom and Keen may have also been in on the plan, but I hope not because that assumes they can formulate a plan which is a new ability for both of them.

I hope to god I'm wrong, and that the writers actually did the right thing and killed her off. I doubt it.

Only thing that keeps me coming back is the 'gives no fucks' diatribes Spader delivers on this show. Also, the old broad, Danbe, and the fat dwarf at the DMV are also good.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

if she really died then we would be seeing flashbacks of all the good times and bad times she dealt with in previous episodes, or something like that

she's not dead. unfortunately

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

We'll know for sure this Thursday. If they give up the ~big sekrets~, we'll know. If not, it's because they still have worth.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Spoilers for Homeland Keene doing would be the exact opposite of when they killed off Brody. It would legitimately make the show better by allowing much better actors to take over. Sadly Homeland losing Lewis, while it was a genuinely shocking moment to me, made the show worse.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CrushedWill posted:

Only thing that keeps me coming back is the 'gives no fucks' diatribes Spader delivers on this show. Also, the old broad, Danbe, and the fat dwarf at the DMV are also good.
Don't forget Boz. Also "guy with wacky methods of torture who requires an oxygen machine." I love that guy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
After making me sit through that montage episode she better be dead. Montages are almost worse than a clip show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I knew immediately that the woman wasn't there, and that at the end, there'd be a montage of scenes where we see that all of his interactions with her were, in fact, just him all by himself.

Still, it was a pretty good episode.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tarlibone posted:

I knew immediately that the woman wasn't there, and that at the end, there'd be a montage of scenes where we see that all of his interactions with her were, in fact, just him all by himself.

Still, it was a pretty good episode.

I felt it was mostly a waste of time, but to each their own. All this suggests is that they're going to jerk us off and only reveal what most of us have already divined. The only two people who got anything out of this episode were the cab driver and guy with the metal detector.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yo this just got real Home Alone real quick

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

yo this just got real Home Alone real quick

Thought the same thing.

"Home Alone 5: Kevin Goes Homicidal"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Keep the change, ya filthy animal.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like even the music changed up, it was still somber, but hijinks somber.

So that was supposed to be a representation of Keene's baby, and not the woman Red sacrificed to save her back in the 80's?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

Like even the music changed up, it was still somber, but hijinks somber.

So that was supposed to be a representation of Keene's baby, and not the woman Red sacrificed to save her back in the 80's?

No, the end scene made it very clear that that was Keene's mother. Remember the 'story' he told Lizzy was that her mother walked into the surf and drowned herself. Also, it was heavily implied that before giving that cabbie the fare of a lifetime, he was drowning his sorrows in an opium den. It takes a lot for them to say 'seriously, get the gently caress out, you've had too much' at an opium den.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That was really boring, I stopped watching sometime between the first and second ad break, my husband told me the ending later.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HookShot posted:

That was really boring, I stopped watching sometime between the first and second ad break, my husband told me the ending later.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

What a waste of time.

Imagine how much better this episode could have been, if, reeling from Keene's death (please be dead please be dead), Reddington spirals into a drug fueled haze, and upon emerging, Awesome Old Lady Fixer tells him to get his poo poo together because he's got a multi-billion dollar crime empire that is going to poo poo because he can't get his head out of his rear end.

He goes to a little coastal town to take a soul searching vacation, and to run away from his intense feeling of failure, and while there, he notices a woman clearly in danger and hiding from a group of unknown people.

He saves her, for whatever reason, because somehow he feels like saving her is actually saving Keene, or making up for it, or whatever, and feeling absolved, he gets back up on the horse and gets right into the business of laying down some vengeance which is what we all want anyway.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Yeah I barely paid attention to tonight's episode, but not like much happened beyond Red doing a lot of opium and hallucinating about Keen's mom.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Such a dumb loving episode. As soon as they showed him hallucinate the front desk lady, I knew the drowning woman was fake because the timing was too perfect, even for a show that's all about timing being too perfect. And then they had to ruin that by having the timing be perfect for the old man finding the locket. But, like, even if they were trying to throw anyone off, the way Red and the woman talked like they already knew each other and that hanging out in this old place was a-okay, it made the vibe of the episode just weird and stupid. "I'll make risotto!" "Will we have hot water tonight?" Without a name exchange, thanks for saving her life, or an explanation for why she was walking into the water? And then Red pulls the piano wire on some guy at a stairwell? What the gently caress was that? What was happening there? It didn't make any sense! And then that guy's body disappeared when the next dude came to the stairwell?! What the gently caress?! And where the gently caress did Red get that shotgun that he took the sniper out with?!!??!

I would have taken a "Keene and Tom pancake breakfast with new baby crying" over this pile.

Uhhh that said... I guess this does reveal that Keene's mom actually is dead in the water. Which means we have no idea who the gently caress was after Keene.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 22, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Actually, this was the best episode because it was all Spader with none of the rest of this show's garbage cast.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Actually, this was the best episode because it was all Spader with none of the rest of this show's garbage cast.
I really wanted to believe this was the case but the fact that his only monologue was talking about a rather depressing suicide bomber instead of a trist he had in a boxcar bound for Chattanooga kinda... kinda brought the whole mood down.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Wheeee posted:

This was kind of how I felt. Although it did nothing to further any plot that the show has developed, it was almost better for it because it was just Spader running around being awesome in a fun flashback Home Alone situation. Spader's delivery and the writing of the suicide speech was great. I like Tom, but he's been really awful this season in the post 'helping Liz on the run' arc. I honestly wouldn't be sad to see the show continue next Season with some kind of revolving door of different guest actors that Spader has to work with in order to bring down Liz's mom.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, that was the thing about 24. You were never really actually sure if someone died. I actually spent most of Die Another Day thinking the president had sacrificed himself because they just did that so well.

The only reason I ever moved past that being a fake-out was the awesome line at the end about how he won't remember his daughter dying.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Between New Girl, Brooklyn 99, Gotham, and Blacklist... This show has handled dealin with a pregnant cast member the worst

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Between New Girl, Brooklyn 99, Gotham, and Blacklist... This show has handled dealin with a pregnant cast member the worst

Wait, who got pregnant in 99 and Gotham? Haven't watched those shows in a while.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eddain posted:

Wait, who got pregnant in 99 and Gotham? Haven't watched those shows in a while.

Morena Baccarin had a kid with her costar Ben McKenzie, while still being married to Austin Chick.

I'd say Megan Boone was probably middle of the pack for cast talent but that's more because Ressler and Navabi are a complete and utter blackhole of charisma more than anything else. If she does actually quit the show permanently there's really no point to the whole FBI framing device anymore.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 23, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Morena Baccarin had a kid with her costar Ben McKenzie, while still being married to Austin Chick.

I'd say Megan Boone was probably middle of the pack for cast talent but that's more because Ressler and Navabi are a complete and utter blackhole of charisma more than anything else. If she does actually quit the show permanently there's really no point to the whole FBI framing device anymore.

I actually kind of like Navabi, even though the idea of a Mossad agent working within the FBI in an official capacity is really loving sketchy, and how in this world they just seem to let Mossad cells operate with impunity within the US...

...but Ressler's character only ever shows enthusiasm when he's able to kill people.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Navabi is cool and good when they don't give her stupid rear end plotlines like being angry at Ressler because he slept with her and dumped her.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The showrunners need to replace Ressler with John Cena for one episode without even so much as a mention, just to see how many people notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

HookShot posted:

Yeah, Navabi is cool and good when they don't give her stupid rear end plotlines like being angry at Ressler because he slept with her and dumped her.

She needs to go just so that they can drop the stupid unrequited love angle with Aram. This show needs Aram to quit the FBI and join Red as his tech guy, and keep Cooper around as their inside contact. Ditch Ressler and Nababi because they're both terrible. Let Liz stay dead and have Tom move onto to his other show where he hires a really good nanny and goes back to being a conman/thief.

• Locked thread