Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
There's a factual error in the OP, you said Smash isn't a fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

it is posted:

There's a factual error in the OP, you said Smash isn't a fighting game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I know you think you learned to troll with the experts, but they weren't very good at it. You can do better, "it is", I believe in you. One day you will cause a shitstorm on the fighting games thread, but that day won't be today.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

whatever smash has it's own thread it doesn't need to come up here unless it's related to whatever conversation/debate has come up in which case it's status as a fighting game is unimportant look just let brosnan have this he needs it he likes 3d fighting games

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. Play fighting games. They're fun. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I play tekken."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

whatever smash has it's own thread it doesn't need to come up here unless it's related to whatever conversation/debate has come up in which case it's status as a fighting game is unimportant look just let brosnan have this he needs it he likes 3d fighting games

Goodbye, Tekken! (2016): Brosnan wakes up from a 20 year coma after slipping and hitting his head on a Tekken 3 cabinet. No one plays Tekken anymore and Smash Bros is one of the biggest competitive fighting games in America, but the SA thread is afraid the shock from those news might kill the only person that could be bothered making general fighting game threads. Hijinks ensue.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
TEKKEN IS SUPER POPULAR AND GOOD YOU GUYS WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
How do I know Tekken is super popular if it doesn't have angry internet nerds fighting 24/7 about which is the best?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

tekken owns;

play tekken

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

StabMasterArson posted:

I'm managing to pull off things far more reliably with the stick than the pad, except DPs. I think I do prefer it.
I tried KI but I have no idea how these mechanics work and it feels like we're just trading combos lol

There are some good aspects to KI in terms of like, the feature set and stuff that the game comes with, but you are right that the game is about trading combos. The reason I didn't really suggest it as an intro game (even though I've heard the tutorial is great) is that KI's version of the neutral game is basically for one of you to be in a combo, and once you're in that mode, it's a weighted rock-paper-scissors game to see if the guy doing the combo actually gets to hurt you or not.

If the current gen options that have actual player bases (SF5, Xrd, maybe KI/MKX) don't really interest you, consider picking one of the more popular Fightcade titles and just see if you can get some goons to teach it to you. Some of the Goonsgarden crew are total sharks and will just tear you up, but others will actually walk you through stuff if you pick a game that they like. I guess if I had to pick some examples of that:
  • KOF98 - Good if you want something faster than SF4 but easier to follow than anime/Marvel.
  • X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Good if you want to dip your toe into busted-rear end Vs. games where basically everyone has an infinite that you may or may not be able to do.
  • Vampire Savior - Good if you want to have fun (seriously this game owns and more people should play it).
A few people will also say 3rd Strike and Jojo's but in reality people say they like those games more than they are actually willing to play them.

Just make sure you spend some actual time learning whatever game you pick, rather than playing hopscotch. I think forums user Faffel got into fighting games with KOFXIII, put some real time into it, and then started branching out to other stuff. But you kinda need to at least understand fundamentals of at least one thing before you start playing lots of things.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Brosnan posted:

A few people will also say 3rd Strike and Jojo's but in reality people say they like those games more than they are actually willing to play them.
To be fair the same could be said for pretty much every non Capcom game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

boxcarhobo posted:

tekken owns;

play tekken

But I'm already invested in one game no one plays! How can I balance not playing Melty Blood and not playing Tekken at the same time?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

you count dressing up your tekken dollies with in game hats as 'playing' tekken

that way you too can be a tekken lord

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How does the Tekken balance process works? I've read they run through arcade revisions before releasing a console version to keep their games tight, but is there a pattern or method to it? do they focus on just a handful of characters at a time? Or does a Tekken arcade patch bring sweeping changes for everyone?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Brosnan posted:

There are some good aspects to KI in terms of like, the feature set and stuff that the game comes with, but you are right that the game is about trading combos. The reason I didn't really suggest it as an intro game (even though I've heard the tutorial is great) is that KI's version of the neutral game is basically for one of you to be in a combo, and once you're in that mode, it's a weighted rock-paper-scissors game to see if the guy doing the combo actually gets to hurt you or not.

If the current gen options that have actual player bases (SF5, Xrd, maybe KI/MKX) don't really interest you, consider picking one of the more popular Fightcade titles and just see if you can get some goons to teach it to you. Some of the Goonsgarden crew are total sharks and will just tear you up, but others will actually walk you through stuff if you pick a game that they like. I guess if I had to pick some examples of that:
  • KOF98 - Good if you want something faster than SF4 but easier to follow than anime/Marvel.
  • X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Good if you want to dip your toe into busted-rear end Vs. games where basically everyone has an infinite that you may or may not be able to do.
  • Vampire Savior - Good if you want to have fun (seriously this game owns and more people should play it).

Just make sure you spend some actual time learning whatever game you pick, rather than playing hopscotch. I think forums user Faffel got into fighting games with KOFXIII, put some real time into it, and then started branching out to other stuff. But you kinda need to at least understand fundamentals of at least one thing before you start playing lots of things.

This isn't right. KI's neutral is in fact a regular neutral game. KI has footsies. KI has zoning. KI has mixups. KI has all of those things in the sense that a normal fighting game has all of things. KI's difference is that the defender is still fully engaged in playing the game while getting combo'd.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Sweet the internet is magic and I can gif it

e: there we go, fixed to have full maxiFAAILian head jerk

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 16, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

Sweet the internet is magic and I can gif it

:vince:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Monk E posted:

To be fair the same could be said for pretty much every fighting game.

A.o.D. posted:

This isn't right. KI's neutral is in fact a regular neutral game. KI has footsies. KI has zoning. KI has mixups. KI has all of those things in the sense that a normal fighting game has all of things. KI's difference is that the defender is still fully engaged in playing the game while getting combo'd.

Not to mention I wouldn't really call the combobreaker (if that is what he was referring to) "rock, paper, scissors" . You can read and react to the combos on time if you're good enough IIRC.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
whoops, wrong thread

dhamster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 16, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brosnan posted:

Vampire Savior is excellent, and I wish there were a modern game that were anything like it.

Every character has unique movement mechanics. It's extremely momentum- and rushdown-focused, but there are still characters that have a "defensive" style in that context. It's got air-blocking, pushblock, ground tech, and all these other signifiers of an anime game, but combos are generally short.

It's also beautifully animated, has a ton of personality, and a very welcoming community. (All eight of us.)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's also beautifully animated, has a ton of personality, and a very welcoming community. (All eight of us.)

Choosing to round upwards I see

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Which is better for picking up games of kof 98, fightcade or steam?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Fifjtade

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Which is better for picking up games of kof 98, fightcade or steam?

Fightcade (select King of Fighters '98) according to the stats.

Though Steam has Ultimate Match & the original while Fightcade only has original '98.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He said "weighted rock paper scissors" and I think that's fair. Keep in mind though that it's weighted in favor of the person doing the combo because manuals and light auto doubles have to be guessed to be broken. Additionally, if you're too predictable on breaking heavies people will just throw them out on purpose and counterbreak.

That being said the perception that KI is all about combos is simply wrong. An equivalent statement would be that SFIV is all about doing full screen ultras because you saw that a lot online. While all characters have the potential to do large combos, it doesn't automatically mean that's a good option. If you're just trading combos, chances are your fundamentals are weak.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The idea that the combo game constitutes KI's neutral is ridiculous, though.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Brosnan posted:

For anyone else who is into fightcade, I am really bad but want to play all of the above (plus COTA, ST, and 3s.) If you have mediocre fg fundamentals from SF and want to play other games then we are in the same boat, let's fight.

Add me on steam or find me in that goon discord thing
http://steamcommunity.com/id/booyah-

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 17, 2016

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Getting a Wireless Fighting Stick 3 for about 40 bucks out of curiosity and since I want something to gently caress around with and play arcade with games when I'm in bed. Any qualms I should keep in mind in terms of modding difficulty and dongle problems?

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 17, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ChazTurbo posted:

Getting a Wireless Fighting Stick 3 for about 40 bucks out of curiosity and since I want something to gently caress around with and play arcade with games when I'm in bed. Any qualms I should keep in mind in terms of modding difficulty and dongle problems?

People sperg out of milliseconds of latency, but a wireless controller is probably going to add visually noticable amounts of input latency. I mean, if you just don't care, that sounds fine.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Fightcade (select King of Fighters '98) according to the stats.

Though Steam has Ultimate Match & the original while Fightcade only has original '98.

I loaded it up in FC and noone was playing :(
Thanks for the informative posts, think I'll just stick with SFV for a bit
e: Guess it was glitching cos there's like 80+ people now :v:

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Brosnan posted:

TEKKEN IS SUPER POPULAR AND GOOD YOU GUYS WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME

Why is Wang gone? :cry:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

I loaded it up in FC and noone was playing :(
Thanks for the informative posts, think I'll just stick with SFV for a bit
e: Guess it was glitching cos there's like 80+ people now :v:

Isn't there like 3 rooms only for 98?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Why the gently caress are there no videos on this page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XBEIou1to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bww09nVyogs

KBrad's top 5 overrated players (starts at 4 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97EAnXcSWLw&t=242s

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 17, 2016

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EF5h6WJAq4

just the whole playlist, really

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

homo-genius got me probated at a hearthstone thread

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
like i dont watch every homo genius straight through every day already

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

dangerdoom volvo posted:

like i dont watch every homo genius straight through every day already

we have to educate the new kids too

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm new and idgi

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

attackmole posted:

I'm new and idgi

you should watch more homo-genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Brosnan posted:

uh