Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RBA Starblade posted:

Joined a host's world, the host isn't actually the host it says it is (or is even in the game), kill the actual host, got nothing for it. :thumbsup:

e: Another world, the basic r1 attack just doesn't fire. At all. Everything else does.

Wait what? Can you explain this?

The human ring makes the phantom read "Host of Embers". It's how they trick you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Yes, but it's available much later and requires you to not have anything to do with Rosaria, the respec lady, so you don't piss off Sirris.

I'm still a ways behind, but -- fighting the tree but NOT defeating it does NOT lock you out of the Mound-Makers! Even if you get to stage 2 of the fight. I unlocked the covenant *after* I hit stage 2 and died. Fortunately for me, my phantom buddies were kinda poo poo.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for a Dex build for beginners? I've never done the more Dex based weapons in any of the other games, opting instead for the Giant Club and such. Any good weapons or armor I should be on the lookout for? I am currently about to beat Vordt.

Almost any kind of sword or spear that doesn't require 25-50 Str to wield is theoretically a Dex weapon now because of the Sharp infusion, which massively increases a weapon's Dex scaling at the cost of a little base damage and Str scaling.

Katanas, thrusting swords, curved swords, and knives are where the "traditional" Dex weapons are tho. The Lothric Knight sword has more Dex than Str scaling by default if you want a good solid straight sword with a decent moveset. Uchigatana, Bandit Knife, and Rapier/Estoc can all be acquired pretty early and are reliable, well-regarded weapons. Sharp Estoc has been awesome, because the Estoc's only problem for Dex builds in Dark Souls 2 was that it had terrible Dex scaling so its damage was pretty milquetoast.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

The camera for a lot of that area is super bad and I don't know why it's so much worse there than anywhere else.

I can't figure out any way to avoid the airborne fire attack. It just literally seems impossible. He flies up, the camera immediately loses its lock, and no matter which direction I sprint in, roll in, block towards, whatever, it always hits me, every single time. At least it's not a one-shot kill, but it's still a huge estus drain.

Edit: Oh, it's not a one-shot kill except when it decides to be and stun you completely in the fire. Ughhhhhhhhhhh

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 17, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tallgeese posted:

Wait what? Can you explain this?

The human ring makes the phantom read "Host of Embers". It's how they trick you.

I know what it does, it's not that. It straight up said someone else's name. Neither phantom, nor him, were in the game. Thinking about it a bit, I think it told me the name of the LAST host.

No luck with the sentinels port forwarding either. :(

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
https://www.gamefaqs.com

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

No area in any souls game has made me feel more like I'm just not up to the challenge than the start of Irylith, I literally haven't made it past the fire dude with his three sword zombie entourage yet and it seems like pure luck if I even make it past the three frosty sword maidens right at the start.
It's like the street before the bonfire at the start of BB except worse because I should be better by now.

Make sure your weapon is upgraded to +6 and pull things one at a time. The only enemies you can't pull solo are the fire guys (their zombie entourage will come with them, but you can pull the zombies without alerting the fire guys). Go in unkindled because that's the worst spot in the game for cowardly invaders who don't want to fight and just want to hide behind groups of enemies.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sakurazuka posted:

No area in any souls game has made me feel more like I'm just not up to the challenge than the start of Irylith, I literally haven't made it past the fire dude with his three sword zombie entourage yet and it seems like pure luck if I even make it past the three frosty sword maidens right at the start.
It's like the street before the bonfire at the start of BB except worse because I should be better by now.

The arch vile guys go down a lot easier than they look. Just aggro his small friends and withdraw back quickly so you can pick them off. Then just head to the arch vile and melee away. If you're keeping your weapon reinforced and infused, you'll kill them with light attacks before you run out of stamina. They just have the intimidation factor, that's all. Just like their Doom counterparts.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

You can bait the sword people pretty easily, you never have to fight two sword people at once until most of the way through the zone.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh also re: Dex tips (or anybody new tips) carry a bow and keep a bunch of cheapo normal arrows for it, there's a lot of places where you can pull enemies and get some free damage or just straight up cheese them from high ground or something by shooting them in the head a lot, which is especially relevant to a Dex build bc most bows have good Dex scaling

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
is there anyway to change your character cosmetically?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man I suck at invading. Every time they're either amazing or there's a sunbro and multiple phantoms helping them.

The one person I've actually killed was at like 4% health and was trying to ambush me so I waited around for ages before having the poo poo scared out of me. This is why I've never bothered with PvP. :colbert:

This is loving annoying btw.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Two hours of mostly terrible invading was immediately undone by how incredibly great the Abyss Watcher fight is. The music is awesome there too.

I just wish multiplayer worked better. :(

I still am only able to summon one person too, so I'm pretty sure that's a hollow thing at this point.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

^^ Some zones have a limit of one, some have a limit of two. You can increase them up to two and three by using the Dried Finger that the merchant at firelink sells.

Tabletops posted:

is there anyway to change your character cosmetically?

Rosaria will let you change your appearance for the cost of a finger, though it counts toward the limit of 5 respecs per playthrough for some bizarre reason.

Steve2911 posted:

This is loving annoying btw.

I suspect they were trying to point out that all three Dark Souls games are in the top 10 right now

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

that absurdly long katana is the washing pole right

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
:dunkedon: in the wax

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well I just got Married :stare:

Darkness5780
Apr 22, 2010
Where are the greatsword, polearms, and straight swords that scale with faith? There were a lot in DS2, and I'm not seeing any this time with the research I have done so far.

I'm trying to get my paladin/Sunbro on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Irithyll is tough as nails. I'm just at the end of it myself. The tall, agile sword dudes are really tough for me, way harder than they probably should be. Maybe I should try to parry them or something.

Anyway, point is, I made it through! You can, too!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Well I just got Married :stare:

I'm happy for you

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Who needs a flame infusion when you can reinforce the torch? :supaburn:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Darkness5780 posted:

Where are the greatsword, polearms, and straight swords that scale with faith? There were a lot in DS2, and I'm not seeing any this time with the research I have done so far.

I'm trying to get my paladin/Sunbro on.

They largely do not exist. You sort of have to make your own by infusing a weapon you like with Lightning.

There are a couple of Faith-scaling weapons at the tail end of the game that are really great--a spear and a halberd-like weapon--and the halberd-like one has an incredible lightning-strike weapon art. Aside from that, there aren't really any natively Faith-scaling weapons that I can think of. There are a few Int/Faith ones that have fire damage on them, but they're not pure Faith.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:allears:

Pontiff Sullivan was such a perfect fight.

Music was great, scenery was great, runback is unobnoxious, difficulty was just right, he's basically Fume Knight with a few extra tricks but you can still shieldtank a lot of his poo poo just fine and it's got that Bloodborne thing where you're rewarded for being aggressive by staggering him and the fact that you'll probably kill his shadow clone as a side effect and and

:allears:

The start of Irihyll was very frustrating though. I swear I must have been missing something because everything gangs up on you and is utterly relentless.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Sakurazuka posted:

try backstab. also the shield ladies you can kick back and then land a crit

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Greirat questions: has anyone figured out a way to keep him alive on his third scavenger hunt?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Straight sword probably need a nerf of some kind. It's absurd how much damage they can do combined with how fast they swing and how little stamina they use. It's so easy to chain stun people with like 8-hit combos and the only thing you can do is roll away and try to hit them before they close the gap and do it again, because the wind-up on any other weapon is too slow. You can literally do nothing but spam R1 and it shreds basically everyone in PvP. It's fun and all, but using them feels very unfair and I think it's kinda completely taken over PvP. In the last 20 or so invasions, I don't think I fought a single person that wasn't using one.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
OK I need some help here. I know that some enemies, when you deal enough poise damage do them in a short time, will go into a riposte-able state, where when you hit them it sounds like you're hitting a stone or something. I know you can do a "visceral attack" type thing on them in this state, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it. I've tried standing behind them, in front of them, repositioning slightly and trying to hit them, but I can never get the riposte to happen. Can someone offer guidance on how to do this?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Andrast posted:

I'm happy for you

The romance options in this game are GREAT

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Started a new run, trying out daggers ... Holy poo poo quickstep is amazing. It's probably the best skill I've seen so far and it makes the game a lot faster. Can't wait to try out the twin daggers though, damage is poop so far.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

El Golden Goose posted:

OK I need some help here. I know that some enemies, when you deal enough poise damage do them in a short time, will go into a riposte-able state, where when you hit them it sounds like you're hitting a stone or something. I know you can do a "visceral attack" type thing on them in this state, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it. I've tried standing behind them, in front of them, repositioning slightly and trying to hit them, but I can never get the riposte to happen. Can someone offer guidance on how to do this?

You need to be standing in front of them, and make sure the left stick is in a neutral position. If it's tilted at all you'll just to a regular slash. The window for ripostes is kinda small, and some enemies have janky hitboxes for both ripostes and backstabs.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

El Golden Goose posted:

walk up rly close to them at their front, like touching them and press rb

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm taking a break today and watching chill stuff instead, I'll try again tomorrow.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is yhorms machete any good?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

It's one of the more popular Strength weapons I've seen around so I gotta imagine it's pretty good.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

actionjackson posted:

It's basically a straight upgrade from the regular machete, which is already a beast. If you can handle the weight, it's a great strength weapon and a lot of fun to use.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Don't know if this thread allows for technical chat, but my game crashes in the exact same place in high wall of lothric near the dragon. Anyone else experience this issue? I tried putting every setting at low and it still crashes.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Found Yorshka- what happens if

you tell her you can fly?

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
Dark Souls Newbie Question: I'm using an Estoc+4, I'm around level 30 right now. Going Dex build, so I use that along with Black Bow of Pharis. Is there anything else I should do to improve my Estoc's Dex scaling? Am I right that upgrading to Sharp is what needs to happen next?

Also, am I complete dingus for using my beginner Assassin gear for anything that doesn't require a specific kind of resist? I like the way it looks, and don't really know how to min-max this game yet and if any other set of armor is comparable... I only switch it out for magic/bleed/etc resists when a zone or boss calls for it.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I finally did it!

I managed to get a normal roll while using Fume Ultra Greatsword, Grass Crest Shield, and full Havel Set.

So much Vitality...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

DontMindMe posted:

I finally did it!

I managed to get a normal roll while using Fume Ultra Greatsword, Grass Crest Shield, and full Havel Set.

So much Vitality...

what the gently caress...