Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

DropsySufferer posted:

I've read about maybe 3 months for ROUTE

If you remember your CCNA material and learn well through self-study that sounds like a good figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Eletriarnation posted:

That's good to know, I'll definitely look into it. Were there any materials in particular that you found valuable when studying for the written test, or was that mostly gleaned from real world experience?

My old study materials were largely worthless. They've revamped the test pretty significantly even on the 1.0 blueprint so I'm going to have to take it again sometime in the next 4 weeks. Previously there were a lot of NXOS internals and a couple basic ACE questions. Now it's covering more fabricpath, more FCIP, more iSCSI, more UCS and oddly more ACE.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

LochNessMonster posted:

My company wants me to get RHCSA certified. I'm not sure if it's that useful for me but more certs are never bad.

How difficult is the exam?

Unfortunately nobody anwsered this one, so I'm bumping it. Anyone have experience with the RHCSA fast track?

I've been playing around with linux for over 15 years, but it's exactly that: playing with it. I only have a very limited experience with it professionally. A few years back I did an LPI course but didn't get the certification.

Would it be a lot of effort studying for this, and which materials would you guys recommend? I think I've seen Yangs (?) mentioned for RHCE here before. Does he do RHCSA material as well?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Jang's book covers both the RHCSA and RHCE. Can't speak to anything else as I've never taken any of the exams.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Is there any lab software that you folks would recommend for the CCNA?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

awesomebrah posted:

Is there any lab software that you folks would recommend for the CCNA?

Boson netsim

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

LochNessMonster posted:

Unfortunately nobody anwsered this one, so I'm bumping it. Anyone have experience with the RHCSA fast track?

I've been playing around with linux for over 15 years, but it's exactly that: playing with it. I only have a very limited experience with it professionally. A few years back I did an LPI course but didn't get the certification.

Would it be a lot of effort studying for this, and which materials would you guys recommend? I think I've seen Yangs (?) mentioned for RHCE here before. Does he do RHCSA material as well?

I have both Jang's and Ghori's book for the RHCSA/RHCE. When building a home system for practice, Ghori gives you a much more structured set of instructions (around networking in particular), whereas Jang basically says "just get it installed." I haven't started on the practice exams yet but I'm liking both books. Since it's all hands on, it's absolutely worth studying for. It doesn't feel like a chore like studying for a multiple choice test. I'm actually enjoying it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pissing me off (wrong thread but right thread) is the uCertify A+ 220-901 practice exam. There are at least three questions that I could verify as wrong, and three more that are arguably false. I don't know if I should ignore these scores, or if I should study the incorrect material because it will be on the CompTIA exam. I can't imagine they refreshed with outdated information though.

According to the uCertify practice test:
All 16:10 monitor models begin with a W to signify "Widescreen". Like the Dell P2213, The HP 241i, and and LG 23MP48HQ!
Satellite Broadband is among the most expensive methods of getting broadband internet access. A cursory check shows satellite plans starting at a whopping $40 a month, and when you compare to Comcast pricing of $40 a month, the savings really add up.
Magnetic drives still have faster write speeds and have more write / erase cycles, because this test can't get it's head out of 2010. Everywhere I've looked shows longer lifecycles for SSDs by about 75% and faster performance on both read AND write.
Upgrading laptop video cards is impossible. Not depending on which model, what type of video card upgrade is being done, whether an eSATA device or docking station is used. The question asked "A user wants to upgrade the video card on his laptop. What considerations need to be made?" and the answer was "Upgrade is impossible."
When you need your monitor to have a sharper display, forget the resolution! That's wrong! Sharper displays require adjusting the refresh rate of the graphics card and the monitor (while I'm not doubting refresh rate will improve image sharpness, there's no way anybody can argue that changing 640 x 480 to 1280 x 1024 won't give a sharper picture).

Again, should I accept this bullshit as fact because some of it may have been true 7 years ago and regurgitate those answers to CompTIA? Or should I throw these questions out and assume my score was much higher than the practice test actually gave me?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
why are you doing the A+?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Upgrading laptop video cards is impossible. Not depending on which model, what type of video card upgrade is being done, whether an eSATA device or docking station is used. The question asked "A user wants to upgrade the video card on his laptop. What considerations need to be made?" and the answer was "Upgrade is impossible."

A+ is a certification that qualifies you for helpdesk.

If a user calls helpdesk and wants to upgrade the video card on his laptop, the answer is "it's impossible"

If the user wants local admin, "It's impossible"

If the user wants a personal printer instead of using the MFP 10 feet away: "It's impossible."

This will really help your handle time.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

why are you doing the A+?

Second and third courses in my WGU degree. Otherwise I wouldn't bother at all.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If the user wants local admin, "It's impossible"

If the user wants a personal printer instead of using the MFP 10 feet away: "It's impossible."

:byodame: BUT DEBBIE IN ACCOUNTING SAID SHE INSTALLED FACEBOOK THE OTHER DAY WITHOUT CALLING IT SO THERE HAS TO BE A WAY AND ALSO DEBBIE HAS A PRINTER ON HER DESK SO I NEED ONE TOO BECAUSE I NEED TO PRINT FACEBOOK

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 19, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't remember anything like that from when I took the tests but it's been close to a year now.

Dennis Kucinich
Apr 28, 2013
Editing this post because I accidentally posted a lengthy one to the wrong thread... 12 hour shifts will do that to you.

To stay relevant, I passed ICND1 last month, and I'm taking ICND2 in July. So, as my contribution to this thread, for those currently studying for CCNA, I highly recommend Wendell Odom's book over Lammle's. Maybe it's just personal preference, Lammle's book seemed to be scatter-brained and riddled with errors. Why can't technical people be better writers?

Also, is CCNP r/s a good idea if I pass the CCNA in July? I only have about two years of support experience, most of it unrelated to networking, and only recently any hands-on with Cisco -- I do some basic network provisioning for our customers on L3 switches. I'm not sure if obtaining the more advanced networking certs would be premature from an employer's perspective.

Dennis Kucinich fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 21, 2016

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Dennis Kucinich posted:

Editing this post because I accidentally posted a lengthy one to the wrong thread... 12 hour shifts will do that to you.

To stay relevant, I passed ICND1 last month, and I'm taking ICND2 in July. So, as my contribution to this thread, for those currently studying for CCNA, I highly recommend Wendell Odom's book over Lammle's. Maybe it's just personal preference, Lammle's book seemed to be scatter-brained and riddled with errors. Why can't technical people be better writers?

Also, is CCNP r/s a good idea if I pass the CCNA in July? I only have about two years of support experience, most of it unrelated to networking, and only recently any hands-on with Cisco -- I do some basic network provisioning for our customers on L3 switches. I'm not sure if obtaining the more advanced networking certs would be premature from an employer's perspective.

Speaking as a guy who is currently getting his butt kicked by the ROUTE, I'd say get some real experience on routers first. It's rough for me because I spend all my time on switches and ASAs.

Second fail yesterday, in fact, 762/790. New bullshit, different day. I'm getting a little tired of seeing multiple chapters on BGP in every book I read, then then only getting one drat question about it the whole exam. Meanwhile I get multiple questions about PPPoE, which has nothing except a handful of glossary entries in the goddamn OCG. If it's the official certification guide, Cisco, I expect it to at least goddamn mention everything on the exam for the cert. :argh:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Jedi425 posted:

Speaking as a guy who is currently getting his butt kicked by the ROUTE, I'd say get some real experience on routers first. It's rough for me because I spend all my time on switches and ASAs.

Second fail yesterday, in fact, 762/790. New bullshit, different day. I'm getting a little tired of seeing multiple chapters on BGP in every book I read, then then only getting one drat question about it the whole exam. Meanwhile I get multiple questions about PPPoE, which has nothing except a handful of glossary entries in the goddamn OCG. If it's the official certification guide, Cisco, I expect it to at least goddamn mention everything on the exam for the cert. :argh:

Part of the CCNP curriculum is becoming jaded and cynical about Cisco and their products.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

psydude posted:

Part of the CCNP curriculum is becoming jaded and cynical about Cisco and their products.

Ain't this the goddamn truth.

Problem is, I have basically a month before my certs expire, so I need to pass this thing. So I guess I'm retaking it next week, and every week until I get it right.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I grabbed the ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide and looked for the section on PPPoE to see if it's much of anything. There's a page and a half. That's it. It says to buy a different book for more on PPP and PPPoE.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Kazinsal posted:

I grabbed the ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide and looked for the section on PPPoE to see if it's much of anything. There's a page and a half. That's it. It says to buy a different book for more on PPP and PPPoE.

I would consider finding that because I've seen some insane questions on PPPoE. These get worse for the CCIE, my friend tells me.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Just failed ICND2 by 60 points. :sigh:

I got weirdly hammered by a lot of switchport security questions - didn't realize those were in ICND2 and I hadn't been covering it in my studies post-ICND1.

I'd basically hit a brick wall in terms of my studying so I'm glad I went out and took it. I'll just brush up on some stuff based on the scoring report, and retake pretty soon.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Just failed ICND2 by 60 points. :sigh:

I got weirdly hammered by a lot of switchport security questions - didn't realize those were in ICND2 and I hadn't been covering it in my studies post-ICND1.

I'd basically hit a brick wall in terms of my studying so I'm glad I went out and took it. I'll just brush up on some stuff based on the scoring report, and retake pretty soon.

It's fun doing your CCNP lab exam and configuring port security, but forgetting to literally type 'port-security' to actually enable everything you just configured. Ask me more about making hilariously terrible errors.

Also 60 points is nothing. You'll pass easily next time. Good work.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Anyone know if there's a point in doing the Oracle Certified Java Associate certification? I'm trying to get into programming from an unrelated BA, currently taking a 2 year post-grad community college course on software development. From what I understand the topics covered on exam seem to correspond with my Java 101 course. Is this worth getting to help prove that I can handle a developer internship position or at least get me in the door for an interview?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

While not technically IT I passed my PMP exam today!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

vyst posted:

While not technically IT I passed my PMP exam today!
Congrats! This is a big one. Work sent me to a 5 day bootcamp but never got around to sitting it.

I should have some time for my CISSP studying now. B.S. complete. :toot:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ozu posted:

Congrats! This is a big one. Work sent me to a 5 day bootcamp but never got around to sitting it.

I should have some time for my CISSP studying now. B.S. complete. :toot:

Congrats! I remember what it felt like when I finished. Enjoy!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I'm currently studying for the CEH and holy balls is this boring. I need the cert to help get government contracts but drat do I wish I was doing almost anything else.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Goongrats fellas

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Are there any SDN certs yet?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

wargames posted:

Are there any SDN certs yet?

VCP/DX-NV, CCNA/NP/IE Data Center.

ACI sucks though, so get the VMWare cert instead.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

VCP/DX-NV, CCNA/NP/IE Data Center.

ACI sucks though, so get the VMWare cert instead.

I wish Cisco would release products when they're finished. Instead of a year or 2 before completion.

I'm looking at you Cisco Prime.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cisco Prime is so godawful. I wish Cisco would stop packaging it with Cisco ISE so I wouldn't have to keep installing it. A customer recently asked me about it and I told them to avoid it at all costs, much to the chagrin of our salespeople (despite the fact that we also partner with Splunk, which is a much better product for what the customer was trying to do).

e: I've never met anyone who actually had to use Cisco Prime that liked it. It's only salespeople and presales engineers.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Cisco Prime is so godawful. I wish Cisco would stop packaging it with Cisco ISE so I wouldn't have to keep installing it. A customer recently asked me about it and I told them to avoid it at all costs, much to the chagrin of our salespeople (despite the fact that we also partner with Splunk, which is a much better product for what the customer was trying to do).

e: I've never met anyone who actually had to use Cisco Prime that liked it. It's only salespeople and presales engineers.

I wish I could back all the time I wasted on conference calls with Prime engineers. Their solution to everything was completely rebuilding Prime from the ground up every time.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

ROUTE take three tomorrow. I think this time I've seen all the bullshit that's not in the OCG/FLG, so I have some hope.

If nothing else, maybe I'll get all the same sims again. :v:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

1000v and AVS are gonna be dead soon, so yea, definitely go the NSX route.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It's fun doing your CCNP lab exam and configuring port security, but forgetting to literally type 'port-security' to actually enable everything you just configured. Ask me more about making hilariously terrible errors.

Also 60 points is nothing. You'll pass easily next time. Good work.

Thanks. :shobon:

Spent a small amount of time reviewing the topics on questions I wasn't sure of, and it looks like I missed almost every one... and now I know the right answers.

Scheduled to take it again next weekend (May 7), not expecting much trouble. Will be nice to finally have this one done with.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

I need to get off my rear end and finish CCNA Collab. After managing our voip system day to day though the last thing I want to look at at home is another CUCM screen. Ack.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

The CUCM interface is certainly... something.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Scheduled A+ part 1 tomorrow morning and if I don't pass I'll probably just quit IT altogether and get a job in HR.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Passed with an 828. Death to PPPoE, death to IPv6, BGP is great.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Jedi425 posted:

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Jedi425 posted:

Congrats nerdshoe :yotj: