Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

slavatuvs posted:

At least from the WWW stream it looked like "minors" like Hungary and Romania don't seem to have any unique events/bonuses/focuses/units. I get this to some extent, and HoI2 and DH had generics for most countries besides the great 7, but I think a little bit of historical detail in some secondary states would be very cool. Just like some small traits or unique focuses that relate to the historical reality.

And when EU4 launched the national ideas for the majority of countries were boilerplate generic crap. Now almost every country has its own idea set or is part of a particular idea set contextual to its history/area/culture. Don't worry you will be able to enjoy the fully developed Dominican Republic idea tree a few patch cycles and DLCs in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

EU4 is pretty much a new game compared to what it was at launch now. Will be interesting to see how HoI4 and Stellaris change over the years as well.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Neobdragon posted:

Hopefully there's 2 paths in the national focus tree to remove the "Home of the Free" national spirit and move towards either communist or fascist, maybe enter the war earlier after firmly setting yourself in one of those factions.

This is the kind of thing that adds alot of replayability to the game.

There are national focuses that seem to give the US Fascist/Communist options. I don't know if they remove Home of the Free but that seems like something they would do.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randarkman posted:

EU4 is pretty much a new game compared to what it was at launch now. Will be interesting to see how HoI4 and Stellaris change over the years as well.

Hopefully more EU, less CK2.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Would probably be more fun as a two-player game with France and UK played by buddies though.

The hard part would be finding a sucker willing to play as France.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Didn't Johan (or another dev) say multiple people can play the same nation at the same time? So France chooses the Franco-British Union and helps run the UK after it gets overrun.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Fuligin posted:

Hopefully more CK2, less EU.

I fixed it for you.

I like both, but I feel CK2 gives me more peacetime options, and kinda hope Stellaris has a DLC that flesh out characters to be sorta CK2 light, so my empire feels more alive and is not just an extension of my will. I want my own factions to be not just obstacles but also opportunities.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 16, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rincewinds posted:

I fixed it for you.

I like both, but I feel CK2 gives me more peacetime options, and kinda hope Stellaris has a DLC that flesh out characters to be sorta CK2 light, so my empire feels more alive and is not just an extension of my will. I want my own factions to be not just obstacles but also opportunities.

I agree, CK2 has been more enjoyable than EU4 for some time now.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

As mentioned before in this thread: it's a common house rule that the French player takes over as the USA once the Vichy government is installed.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

As mentioned before in this thread: it's a common house rule that the French player takes over as the USA once the Vichy government is installed.

Also helps against the "Hay guys I've spent the last 5 in game years building a min-maxed army let me just throw that onto the continent real quick and win the war by 43" that a good US could pull off. The US is going to need a while to unfuck what the AI created.

In unrelated news, i have installed the BlackICE mod to see what all the fuss was about (since it was apparently the mod to use as a representation for the modding DD). It's..a thing. It is most certainly a thing.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
It seems like partisan activity has been reduced to a debuff that goes away when a country surrenders. I wonder if there will be events related to the French resistance, Yugoslavian partisans, or if they won't be simulated at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

slavatuvs posted:

It seems like partisan activity has been reduced to a debuff that goes away when a country surrenders. I wonder if there will be events related to the French resistance, Yugoslavian partisans, or if they won't be simulated at all.

The debuffs don't go away when a country surrenders, they go away when the war ends. So as long as someone's still fighting Germany (EG: Britain) then Germany will have to deal with partisans.

At least, that's how it seems to be. I still think it's dumb that Hungary can conquer Austria in its own war and there's no partisan resistance at all once the peace treaty is signed.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SeaTard posted:

I agree, CK2 has been more enjoyable than EU4 for some time now.

You are all out of your minds.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
CK2 can't handle all the crap that's been added on to it. Would love to see how CK2 runs at version 1.0 compared to now.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Gort posted:

The debuffs don't go away when a country surrenders, they go away when the war ends. So as long as someone's still fighting Germany (EG: Britain) then Germany will have to deal with partisans.

At least, that's how it seems to be. I still think it's dumb that Hungary can conquer Austria in its own war and there's no partisan resistance at all once the peace treaty is signed.

That makes more sense.

Still, it doesn't look like partisans can actually rise up or take provinces.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Back To 99 posted:

CK2 can't handle all the crap that's been added on to it. Would love to see how CK2 runs at version 1.0 compared to now.

Get a better PC it runs better now than it did before RoI

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Fuligin posted:

Sorry for wanting the option to dick about with factions, plots and eugenics dynasties, instead of just waiting for cash to build a new building or hoping an event to fire.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

In unrelated news, i have installed the BlackICE mod to see what all the fuss was about (since it was apparently the mod to use as a representation for the modding DD). It's..a thing. It is most certainly a thing.

I've been a bit of a fan of the BlackICE mod over the years and it seems they just keep adding more fuss and annoying micromanagement into the game. Like, I want to manage the composition of my divisions but do I really want to go through assigning transport divisions, etc. Next version I bet they'll add something stupid like assigning cook-attachments and poo poo or else your divisions dont get supplies and die of starvation.

All this talk about blackice is making me really grateful for the division template manager in HoI4, in HoI3 just fixing the initial placement, composition and organization of any of the starting powers will take you half an hour to an hour. The most annoying part was probably refitting the composition because it involved hundreds of clicks just to ensure all your divisions had proper optimal compositions with a good balance. If you wanted to refit your infantry divisions to have a bit more support and less infantryman, or you unlocked your 5th brigade slot and want to slap on anti-tank to all your infantry, you're going to be clicking 4-5 times per division which ends up being hundreds if you're 1942 Germany pushing into Moscow.

In HoI4 I just click 3-4 times, spend a bit of army xp and the game will automatically start shifting equipment to the divisions, literally how it should be, I'm a dictator, not a supply officer.

Neobdragon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 17, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Neobdragon posted:

I've been a bit of a fan of the BlackICE mod over the years and it seems they just keep adding more fuss and annoying micromanagement into the game. Like, I want to manage the composition of my divisions but do I really want to go through assigning transport divisions, etc. Next version I bet they'll add something stupid like assigning cook-attachments and poo poo or else your divisions dont get supplies and die of starvation.

It's mostly the sheer amount of questionable design choices. I mean, I am a grognard, I play War in the Pacific, a game that makes HoI 3 look like Call of Duty, but holy gently caress BlackICE. Holy gently caress. There are about six million battalion types with literally hundreds of tiny incremental upgrades. You have to research and upgrade ammo storage for your fighters so they get a whooping 0.05 air attack more. It's needless complexity masquerading for depth. Researching new artillery guns makes your trucks worse. None of it makes any sense.

And then of course they went and replaced the counters of dozens of divisions with their historical insignia, somehow managing to get all the drawbacks of counters with none of the benefits. Is that jumping deer counter an infantry, mountain infantry, mechanized or Panzer division? Who knows!

The thousands of new units also make the game slow to an absolute crawl as soon as war starts, so that's fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

slavatuvs posted:

That makes more sense.

Still, it doesn't look like partisans can actually rise up or take provinces.

That's true, but the number of uprisings that need representing in a divisional-scale game are so few that you could represent them by event. I think the Warsaw Uprising was the largest ever and it was the size of about three badly-equipped divisions.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
as someone entirely unfamiliar with black ice, am I living in bliss or should I be enlightened?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

GSD posted:

as someone entirely unfamiliar with black ice, am I living in bliss or should I be enlightened?

Depends... Do you feel like HOI3 is too simple and needs to be more convoluted?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CK2 is more about characters and interactions between them then running a state which is far more interesting to me than trying to paint the map with my nations color if it's only for the purpose of painting the map and not to show that fat rear end in a top hat King Stanisław XVI of Poland who's boss by making his inbred midget heretic half-brother Władysław king instead of him not because I stand to gain something but because Stanisław schtupped my king's wife and his insane great-great grandfather killed the charismatic genius heir of my king's great-great grandfather in a duel.

I've played EUVI and Victoria and both are quite fun but feel to impersonal compared to CK1 and 2.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 17, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Gort posted:

That's true, but the number of uprisings that need representing in a divisional-scale game are so few that you could represent them by event. I think the Warsaw Uprising was the largest ever and it was the size of about three badly-equipped divisions.

Well, the Yugoslavian partisans were like 800,000 strong at their peak, don't know how many divisions that would be.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

slavatuvs posted:

Well, the Yugoslavian partisans were like 800,000 strong at their peak, don't know how many divisions that would be.

The number of men in a division varies, but I think it's 10k~20k per? So 60ish divisions?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The teeth-to-tail ration skews wildly towards the latter above the division level, when you're talking about regular forces at least. I'd guess that applies to an equivalent-sized irregular force as well.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

COOL CORN posted:

Depends... Do you feel like HOI3 is too simple and needs to be more convoluted?

I do not, but I do feel like I enjoy hearing about spergtastic mods.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

slavatuvs posted:

Hmm, good point. Maybe there does need to be a Europa 4-style "disaster" where if you don't make an effort to suppress partisans at all the country can flip out and start spawning bad infantry divisions to fight you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fuligin posted:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

Hmm, good point. Maybe there does need to be a Europa 4-style "disaster" where if you don't make an effort to suppress partisans at all the country can flip out and start spawning bad infantry divisions to fight you.

I like this idea actually. I usually don't bother with partisan suppression at all except to detail a cav division or two to play whack a rebel.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So, I have all EU4 DLC except for El Dorado, Common Sense, The Cossacks, and Mare Nostrum. Which of these, if any, are essential? I don't really feel like dropping $65 on DLC right now :negative: (well obviously I could wait on sales)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

COOL CORN posted:

So, I have all EU4 DLC except for El Dorado, Common Sense, The Cossacks, and Mare Nostrum. Which of these, if any, are essential? I don't really feel like dropping $65 on DLC right now :negative: (well obviously I could wait on sales)

Common Sense, imo, or El Dorado for the nation designer. Cossacks does let you play as Hordes, which are pretty spiffy.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

COOL CORN posted:

I'd say Art of War was the last 'essential' DLC that fixed issues with base EU4 - the ones after that are just adding more stuff into the game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Koesj posted:

The teeth-to-tail ration skews wildly towards the latter above the division level, when you're talking about regular forces at least. I'd guess that applies to an equivalent-sized irregular force as well.

idk about that - irregulars aren't going to have too many people servicing fighting vehicles, running large-scale logistics operations, etc, etc. teeth-to-tail is a problem of advanced, well-equipped fighting forces, and irregulars are best known for being exactly not that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I've been having lots of fun (and luck) in my current ironman game as Castille/Spain in EU4.

I'll just let the screenshots speak to start with

Not pictured: Colonial American Empire (+ Philippines and Malakka) used as cash cow to fuel my European ambitions (large standing armies, mercenaries, a huge fleet, gifts and subsidies as well as a double layer starfort barrier against France).

Basically what has happened is that I got the Iberian wedding quite early, Burgundian inheritance didn't fire, but instead what happened is they got my dynasty around 1500, then about 45years ago (which would be around 1595) they ended up in a regency with an heir with a weak claim, upon which I ditched my alliance with them claimed their throne and forced them into a PU. Also when the king who accomplished this died and his daughter took over I got an event titled "A Strategic Miracle" which gave me an heir with a strong claim and the dynasty of an ally I had a royal marriage with, which happened to be the Habsburgs of Austria. Ever since then I've been spending all my efforts (diplo slots, diplomats and money used on gifts and subsidies) to get myself elected Emperor of the HRE, which finally happened as I took this screenshot, 27 July 1641.

Now I will finally bring order to the Empire and the continent of Europe. Austria has hosed stuff up by annexing minors, and they also went after free cities when they weren't the emperor, allowing Brandenburg to grow and allowing Heretics to exist in the Empire. My alliance with them will have to go as I intend to force them to release several smaller states and turn them into free cities and such. When they are reduced enough I will turn my attention to bring Italy back into the fold and then see if I can't do anything about the heretics in Bohemia and northern Germany. Also when I integrate Burgundy I will have the opportunity to add a shitload of new provinces to the Empire.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 18, 2016

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Mazovia stronk.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Autonomous Monster posted:

The number of men in a division varies, but I think it's 10k~20k per? So 60ish divisions?

Found more details, pretty good estimate

Perica, Vjekoslav. Balkan Idols : Religion and Nationalism in Yugoslav States. posted:

As military force it started with 40,000 in 1941, of these most were members of the Communist Party and Communist Youth. In the summer of 1944, the former guerilla Partisans had 39 divisions, a navy, and an air force, with a total of 350,000 combatants, and in May 1945 there were 800,000 troops organized in four armies and 52 divisions.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
when is paradox going to add in-game resolution changing without having the restart the game?

EU4 has the resolution options in the launcher now, I'd assume Stellaris and HOI4 will have that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
This weeks WW

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/61739505?t=16m07s