Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Where can I learn about making stencil-friendly art, and the stencils to make the art with spraypaint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Where can I learn about making stencil-friendly art, and the stencils to make the art with spraypaint?

Depends on what resources you have access too. One of the easiest ways would be to learn to use a vector based art program like Illustrator or Inkscape to create designs and then use a vinyl cutter to create a sticker that you can use as a mask for the spray paint.

If you don't have access to a cutter (there are some that are relatively inexpensive (few hundred bucks) out there and some colleges/artcenters/etc have them available for use for a fee) then you could do the same by using tape and cutting shapes out of that.

I've not used tape with spraypaint but I know with acrylic you can get nice sharp edges if you use a coat of matte medium on the edges that would seal them and prevent paint from seeping in. Spray paint might not need all that at least. I've bought some cardstock like "stencil" paper from the art store before but I remember it being awkward to work with, but if your surface is very flat then that could work too probably. That stuff is cheap and worth a try if you wanted a stencil that you could reuse.

Nice thing about tape and vinyl stickers is they'll stick so you can have all your stuff in place before you paint but problem with them is they are one time use. Though with the vinyl cutter you can quickly make new copies of your designs as you need them.

As far as the art itself, learn how to simplify things into shapes and how to create strong silhouettes. Study some graphic art stuff that you really like and look at how they've designed their images.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 18, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Yeah I have access to a Silhouette machine which I'll be using to make the stencils. I guess the hard part is going to be the actual artistic part of breaking down images into layers. Thanks!

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Any tutorials or resources (online or else) that teach perspective? I want to know how to choose the position of the vanishing points in the horizon when doing two point perspective. I'm trying to learn how to draw from a book and the first lesson revolve around drawing a box at different eye levels using vanishing points. My question is: if I draw an horizon and vanishing points to draw a box at, say, eye level and then want lo draw that same box at a lower eye level, should I use the same vanishing points from the previous box drawing, or choose new ones? And if I have to choose new ones, then how? Like how do I choose what distance they are apart?

Thank you.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Your one stop for anything perspective from the best modern art teacher you could possibly learn from - http://www.marshallart.com/other/shop/videos/index.php
Seriously, Marshall Vandruff kicks rear end.

Or if you're poor - http://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/ really good free art tutorials

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking for HDRI spheres to use as backgrounds in a scene I am working on currently. All the stock photo websites have ocean scenes and beach scenes but nothing like an archipelago or a river/mangrove where the POV is on a water plane but has landmarks around the horizon. Anyone know of some good way to find that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

/nm

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 5, 2016

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Are there enough improvisers in CC to warrant a thread? I asked about improv in the (standup) comedian thread, but there was no response.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: Nevermind I'm dumb.

FenderRXB
Sep 4, 2007
Fight Off Your Demons
Quick question for any writers and editors out there.

In a book, if you're writing a part that is describing a video... How does punctuation work regarding quotation? I'm describing the video, but intertwined is dialogue. Do I need to start new paragraphs, if what I'm describing has three separate characters.

If that doesn't make sense I can elaborate, but I'm coming up empty trying to word this and check online.

Thanks!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Here's a stupid question, are there any sales/fulfillment services like Society6 or similar that wouldn't give a poo poo if I wanted to put up some stupid illustrations, for dorks to put on shirts and mugs and other poo poo, with dicks in them? Nothing that involves explicit sex mind you but maybe say a wizard with a magic boner since some idiot(s) will eventually buy it?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've got a bunch of x,y,z points I'd like to plot with some sort of 3d modelling program. Blender has been less than user friendly on this front so I was wondering if there's something that might work a little better. This script acts up when I try to use it and I'm dreading trying to do it all by hand.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Casimir Radon posted:

I've got a bunch of x,y,z points I'd like to plot with some sort of 3d modelling program. Blender has been less than user friendly on this front so I was wondering if there's something that might work a little better. This script acts up when I try to use it and I'm dreading trying to do it all by hand.

Define a bunch. Because I use it for statistical analysis all the time I know R can handle really complex graphs and it is free. It's by no means an art program but depending on the data it could work.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
A client wants to make his logo look like it's moving forward, specifically with some sort of motion identifier on the left side of the logo. Here's what I built based strictly on his hand-sketch:

"No, I don't like that," he said. I don't either, frankly. He's saying, "maybe some sort of motion blur or something." Guy has no design experience, he's just the guy that owns the company. Assuming I'm building this in Illustrator, what's a goof "motion" identifier? The logo itself will be refined before it's final, but it will definitely be some form of "B-lightningbolt-4".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The universal "logo going real fast" signifier is to slant the letters to the right. Look at the DHL logo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You could also try not using static line widths on the letters, giving the B some sort of curve / treatment that visually makes it look kinetic.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Next time you show it to him, make it an animated gif that is literally moving to the left.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

mutata posted:

Next time you show it to him, make it an animated gif that is literally moving to the left.
Put your laptop on the table and slide it to the left until it falls off.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
The lines look like sparks or something instead of 'speed lines'. Slant it to the right and give it speed lines is the universal indicator for 'going fast'.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I kinda want to start uploading speedpainting vids to youtube, but I have literally no experience with video or audio editing. What's some good freeware software for it? (I use OBS for screen recording right now).
Does anyone have any experience with screencast-o-matic?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there a way for 2 users in 2 different locations to share the same Excel spreadsheet and edit it simultaneously in real time?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Is there a way for 2 users in 2 different locations to share the same Excel spreadsheet and edit it simultaneously in real time?

Will Google Sheets suffice for you?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

NancyPants posted:

Will Google Sheets suffice for you?

Not sure -- we tried Google Docs briefly, but it was a disaster...every time anyone opened the main file, it created a new instance of the document with a new file name, and we had dozens of very-slightly-different spreadsheets in the folder by the end of the day. Maybe we were doing it wrong, poo poo I don't know, but the upshot is that it was logistically impossible to keep everything straight.

What we really need is either a spreadsheet (or a true database that can be viewed as a spreadsheet, listed chronologically by ticket), that multiple users in multiple locations on both PC and Mac can access simultaneously and edit simultaneously. Or near-simultaneously, but we don't want to be in a situation where everyone is always saying, "OK, everyone close your document, I need to update a ticket!"

This might be easier if I simply described a simplified version of the system we use -- we design, manufacture and sell fully-custom widgets. When a new customer calls, we create a new "ticket," which is basically a new line at the bottom of a very wide spreadsheet that mimics a database (yes, we'll convert to a true database soon, but what we have now works for now). Our creative guy needs to be updating all the customers' product workflow info as he goes through all the design & manufacturing stages, while our bookkeeper periodically updates all the customers' invoicing and shipping info as they are billed and pay. Ideally, I'd like for all employees to have the same spreadsheet open at the same time, and when our graphic designer makes a change to a client's manufacturing timeline, our bookkeeper sees that change take place on her document in real time. And likewise, our fulfillment guy then sees that someone has paid, and packages and ships the product, and marks it as shipped with tracking info.

If what we need is a database, just say, yeah you need a database. But it will need to have the same cross-platform, real-time functionality as described above.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You need a database.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is there a way to switch Clip Studio Paint's color wheel from RGB to CMYK (or at the least RYB)?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Does anyone have experience using high tech sewing machines (brother?) that can do graphics? I'm assuming it has to be vectorized but I did find a site where a guy had already bought a design I was looking for (uniform patch). I assume these are typically made to order so wondering what kinda turn around time we were looking at if the programming side didnt need to be dealt with

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Alan Smithee posted:

Does anyone have experience using high tech sewing machines (brother?) that can do graphics? I'm assuming it has to be vectorized but I did find a site where a guy had already bought a design I was looking for (uniform patch). I assume these are typically made to order so wondering what kinda turn around time we were looking at if the programming side didnt need to be dealt with

There used to be someone in samart who made custom patches. Have you looked in there?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

There used to be someone in samart who made custom patches. Have you looked in there?

You mean the guy who sold the diamond dogs patches? Yeah they've gone non-responsive...

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Thanks for the help, all. I think we found a software solution. Now I have a totally unrelated question:

Excel for Mac 2011 automatically hyperlinks e-mail addresses. I cannot figure out how to turn this feature off, and I don't even see a way to un-link existing e-mail addresses. I want them to be plain text. There is no "remove hyperlink" option in the right-click context menu, and the FORMAT CELLS options do nothing. Likewise, there is no such option anywhere in Preferences.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
In Illustrator, if I want my text to conform to a shape it's easy - just type inside the shape. Area type tool or whatever, or draw a box of text and then move the corners around, or add points to move around - there are a half dozen ways to do it in Illustrator and I can't figure out how to do it at all in Sketch. How do I type in Sketch anywhere other than inside a rectangle? Like this:

jackpot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 27, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Thanks for the help, all. I think we found a software solution. Now I have a totally unrelated question:

Excel for Mac 2011 automatically hyperlinks e-mail addresses. I cannot figure out how to turn this feature off, and I don't even see a way to un-link existing e-mail addresses. I want them to be plain text. There is no "remove hyperlink" option in the right-click context menu, and the FORMAT CELLS options do nothing. Likewise, there is no such option anywhere in Preferences.

If it works the same as it does in Windows:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've been using the same Paper Mate Protouch II mechanical pencil for the last five or six years for design work. They stopped making them long ago, and I'm incredibly paranoid about losing it. I go to great lengths to ensure I don't, but eventually it's either going to wear out or I'm going to drop it down a sewer or something and I'm going to have to find a replacement.

Does anyone have a favorite pencil they'd recommend? I'd prefer a 0.5mm mechanical.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

kedo posted:

I've been using the same Paper Mate Protouch II mechanical pencil for the last five or six years for design work. They stopped making them long ago, and I'm incredibly paranoid about losing it. I go to great lengths to ensure I don't, but eventually it's either going to wear out or I'm going to drop it down a sewer or something and I'm going to have to find a replacement.

Does anyone have a favorite pencil they'd recommend? I'd prefer a 0.5mm mechanical.

I used to have that exact same mechanical pencil, I found this one to be an almost exact replica of it. It's a tiny bit less top heavy than the Paper Mate though, but that's an incredibly minor con.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

I used to have that exact same mechanical pencil, I found this one to be an almost exact replica of it. It's a tiny bit less top heavy than the Paper Mate though, but that's an incredibly minor con.

Nice, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I am looking to re-purpose some of those 3-shelf flat pack bookcases into displays for my nerd collectibles. Since I have a new cat who does not understand not to destroy daddy's stuff, I need to cover the front with something clear.

Glass and Plexiglass look to be cost prohibitive. I was thinking possibly using Mylar sheets (available by the roll).

Thoughts? Other choices?

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Ignore this post. Nothing to see here.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 10, 2016

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm in Illustrator, and I want to distort an object's drop shadow, I want to drag its corners. So I go to "expand appearance," and then I ungroup the object. Now I have two objects - the rectangle, and the shadow left behind. But I can't grab the corners of the shadow individually, I can only move or resize it. It's showing in the layers panel as an image, not a path. How do I do this? I guess I can duplicate the object, modify it until it's the shape I want the shadow, then detach it from the shadow, but that's clunky as hell.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 13, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think drop shadow effects are a rasterized effect if you're using one method. You might just have to build a separate drop shadow so you have better control.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Strotski posted:

Your one stop for anything perspective from the best modern art teacher you could possibly learn from - http://www.marshallart.com/other/shop/videos/index.php
Seriously, Marshall Vandruff kicks rear end.

This reply's a month late but anyway: Marshall's stuff is great--that said, though, he and Proko are working together to refine his perspective lessons and offer what Marshall says will be the end-all version of his lectures, coming later this year. Of course, that's an eternity in art-learning time and the existing lectures are really cheap so it won't do any harm and in fact will be very educational to get them, but if you're really REALLY stingy, then you could wait for said lectures to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

That's amazing piece of news for me, thanks for sharing! I'll be sure to pick them up once they go live.

To not post without content, here's a great website that helps me a lot when I'm down http://www.learning-to-see.co.uk/
Most of the Paul's posts are about dealing with inner artist and based around the idea of "Art & Fear" book, and he has a ton of them, so if you ever doubt yourself and your work - might wanna check it out. The rest are just really good art advice, be it technical or not, Paul is a good self-taught artist that has a ton of insight on traditional art.