Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

Unpopular opinion time:

pvp is dumb

kill yourself in Real Life lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm about 10 hours into the game and my game has started crashing within seconds of loading into the world at firelink shrine, what do I do? I've tried lowering all my settings but it hasn't helped.

Make sure lighting in particular is set to low, also wear a full-face helmet when possible. Also try disabling the steam overlay.

Somehow these are the top tips for reducing the frequency of this game exploding.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Welp I just suck I guess. Setting a record by not even being able to beat the damned tutorial area boss. Lost track of how many times I've died and how many different ways I've tried. :/

Here I thought Cleric would be kinda a nice first foray.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wildtortilla posted:

In the Cathedral I'm really confused. I am in the big watery area with two giants, both dead at this point. I raised two of the platforms and am struggling to find a lever for the third. I thought I only had two raised so I took the elevator up near the Deacons boss fight. To an area I visited earlier and wished I had raised the platformr, except now there was an onion knight there telling me about treasure on the other side of the raised bridge. I ran out and we all know what happens. The platforms lower and now I'm back to trying to raise all three. Am I overlooking the platform lever that Mr. Not-So-Onion-Knight was standing next to?

The first lever is down on the ground level in the basin of clean water.
The second lever is up where Patches was hanging out, it's how he lowered you back down.
The third lever is In the far, far corner across the cathedral from the second giant (also on the ground level).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

Lost track of how many times I've died and how many different ways I've tried. :/

Iudex has a lot less health than that huge bar makes it out to be, just keep tight to his sides/back and whack away when he's recovering from big ole swings.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3DDdongrZ4

send em home with a smile on their face I always say

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Spent 5 minutes slowly whittling down Havel with backstabs, get crushed by a single overhead attack :cripes:

I dunno why I even bothered trying the priest will just summon another.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 18, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's a janky, unbalanced mess, but it's also a total blast. I dunno why, From's PvP just works for me. I think because it doesn't pretend to be super-serious / competitive / fair, and because there's nothing at stake but your time, it lets you just do dumb stuff and mess around and not get angry at video games or whatever. Like it can be frustrating in the heat of the moment when some total bullshit happens, but afterward I usually find myself laughing about it. It's just got a weirdly perfect balance of legitimate fun and high tension without all of the downsides that comes with a lot of other PvP games.

it's because the rest of the game is quite hard and punishingly "unfair" from time to time; being on the receiving end of a sudden invasion is the feeling of unfairness hitting mach 5 so there's nothing to do but ride the exhilaration and terror.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Don't need any in depth spoiling tactics or anything, but can someone tell me, does the (I assume) last boss have more than one HP bar or am I missing a gimmick that should make it die when its health is gone?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's a janky, unbalanced mess, but it's also a total blast. I dunno why, From's PvP just works for me. I think because it doesn't pretend to be super-serious / competitive / fair, and because there's nothing at stake but your time, it lets you just do dumb stuff and mess around and not get angry at video games or whatever. Like it can be frustrating in the heat of the moment when some total bullshit happens, but afterward I usually find myself laughing about it. It's just got a weirdly perfect balance of legitimate fun and high tension without all of the downsides that comes with a lot of other PvP games.

There are 8 that you can find in each game cycle, and there's one group of enemies that has a very rare chance of dropping them after that. This game is pretty drat generous with them. They aren't as common as in DS2, but waaay more common than DS1 and Bloodborne.

My pvp experience has been

-spend five or ten minutes running around trying to find whatever obscure corner the host has crammed themselves in this time
-we fight, which is basically who gets the first hit and stunlocks
-if they survive, they run away or whatever and estus with no risk. The hunter charms are worthless

Noone's willing to do fun things, like play along with mad phantoms or hang out in dangerous but fun areas. Why would they? The best bet is to hide in some corner, hoping they black crystal out, or roll with a phantom posse.

It's boring most of the time, for little payoff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So, Anri storyline question: I killed Wolnir before I did Deacons of the Deep. So Anri showed up in the shrine and said she was heading for the catacombs. So should I explore the Smouldering Lake and kill Horace now or wait for later? I'm not trying to get the "dark" ending because I hardly spoke to Yoel and Yuria never appeared, so I'm just trying to not make Anri an enemy or bring them to the "best" resolution I can give them.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Yardbomb posted:

Iudex has a lot less health than that huge bar makes it out to be, just keep tight to his sides/back and whack away when he's recovering from big ole swings.

Primarily that's what I've been trying since on try 38746 when I was one swing away from killing him that's what I did. Other than that time I never get him below half because even with the shield up he takes out like 1/4 my life when he hits and that assumes he's not in "lol I get 3 hits" combo.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a ring to wear more stuff? Where it at? I want to wear all the ridiculous looking exile armor.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The first lever is down on the ground level in the basin of clean water.
The second lever is up where Patches was hanging out, it's how he lowered you back down.
The third lever is In the far, far corner across the cathedral from the second giant (also on the ground level).

I'm so confused :(. I'm going to bed and I'll try this advice again tomorrow. I went to where I thought the second lever is but there's no lever. :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mazerunner posted:

Unpopular opinion time:

pvp is dumb

this isn't an unpopular opinion, a ton of ppl play these games offline or hollow or w/e specifically to avoid ever having to deal with pvp, and from has been trying various measures to keep invaders from being as prevalent and invasions from being as frequent as they were in dark souls in every game since; random pvp was basically broken in dark souls 2 and bloodborne

it's wrong, but not unpopular.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Welp I just suck I guess. Setting a record by not even being able to beat the damned tutorial area boss. Lost track of how many times I've died and how many different ways I've tried. :/

Took me 30 tries with the Deprived but only one with the Knight.

Playing the tin can is easy mode to the max. You can just shield block his attacks then attack a few times.

That said, keep at it without using the knight. It's teaching you invaluable lessons in stamina management, moveset reads, and the importance of staying close to the enemy/boss.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

My pvp experience has been

-spend five or ten minutes running around trying to find whatever obscure corner the host has crammed themselves in this time
-we fight, which is basically who gets the first hit and stunlocks
-if they survive, they run away or whatever and estus with no risk. The hunter charms are worthless

Noone's willing to do fun things, like play along with mad phantoms or hang out in dangerous but fun areas. Why would they? The best bet is to hide in some corner, hoping they black crystal out, or roll with a phantom posse.

It's boring most of the time, for little payoff.

then dont do it u dumbass

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PVP is good, but needs more vocal emotes

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I can't beat the Princes. Help

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Philthy posted:

Is there a ring to wear more stuff? Where it at? I want to wear all the ridiculous looking exile armor.

Havel's ring is another 9 to equip load, which you can make with the soul from that big rear end in a top hat up above the wolf of farron's bonfire.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Ludex has a lot of long, sweeping attacks that seem to miss when you're right against him most of the time. The only starting class i''ve had a really hard time with so far is Herald, the spear kinda sucks damage wise.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think the patch dropped on ps4. never mind.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 18, 2016

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

DrBouvenstein posted:

They're tough, but I love their design. Reminds me a little bit of wendigos. Lots of drawings of them I've seen look similar.

Between the items they drop, the nearby covenant, and some things you see in a little alcove, I'm going to go ahead and say,

This used to be Darkroot, right? The dead mushroom men, the covenant that's very similar to the Forest Hunters, Pharis' stuff, etc...

So I wonder if those beasts are the original Forest Hunter members that have been transformed somehow? Though maybe I'm just projecting my previous 'wendigo' thoughts and forcing a narrative that's not there.

I agree with you.

Going up the wolf covenant ladder literally puts you in the area from Dark Souls 1 where you fight the Taurus demon. If you recall, heading straight down from this area led you to Havel and out to the Darkroot garden. I thought the big enemies in Farron's Keep could be a nasty, evolved version of the ent guys from darkroot.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

man nurse posted:

I can't beat the Princes. Help

turn down the game sound and put this on in the bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdy_rct6uo

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

GreyPowerVan posted:

that sword is 100% the easiest parry in the game.

There are ways to mix that up by aiming slightly to the left or right of the person so that the sword's arc is slightly off for timing, and can hit behind guards

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Make sure lighting in particular is set to low, also wear a full-face helmet when possible. Also try disabling the steam overlay.

Somehow these are the top tips for reducing the frequency of this game exploding.

Tried all of these, didn't do much but I did find out that the game only crashes if I try to walk a certain distance away from the firelink shrine bonfire so I guess I can keep progressing, just can't shop or talk to anyone.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

il serpente cosmico posted:

I agree with you.

Going up the wolf covenant ladder literally puts you in the area from Dark Souls 1 where you fight the Taurus demon. If you recall, heading straight down from this area led you to Havel and out to the Darkroot garden. I thought the big enemies in Farron's Keep could be a nasty, evolved version of the ent guys from darkroot.

That's... a completely different bridge, though? The DS1 thing is a curved section of wall. The DS3 thing is a straight bridge.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm so confused :(. I'm going to bed and I'll try this advice again tomorrow. I went to where I thought the second lever is but there's no lever. :(

You're possibly on the wrong side of the bridge. To get to the side with the lever on it: Climb up onto the rafters on the very top of the cathedral via coming in through the outside roof; there will be a ledge you can drop down to over by the bigass knight dudes which will lead to a path, and the second lever.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It's a shame that after this many games in the series the invasions still blow more than half of the time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Should I do the (location spoilers, late game) dungeon first, or anal rodeo first?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So the boss of the Catacombs was nothing but pain and I managed to literally die in the middle of my victory because I got lag-killed by its murderbreath (still squeaked out the win, though).

And now I'm in the next area and it's even more pain than the pain I was in before.

The difficulty curve so far has been this slow relentless uphill slope, at least in DS1 and Bloodborne my gear and experience would eventually level things out but it's like every minute detail in every area of every zone is uniquely designed to hurt me.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Decrepus posted:

It's a shame that after this many games in the series the invasions still blow more than half of the time.

I don't know why the loving Hell they can't get blue covenants right

Like I'd settle for either being able to counter-invade people outside WoB or having a Blue Eye Orb, instead we get two identical covenants that are identical versions of Blue Sentinels that don't have cracked orbs or a dueling arena

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Should I do the (location spoilers, late game) dungeon first, or anal rodeo first?

Dungeon is shorter from my experience and the boss at the end isn't as hard.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Woo, finally made enough progress that I can go to either Annor Londor Christmas Special or the Lost Catacombs of Izalith.

The former is annoying me because the normal enemies are lightning fast and one-shotting my squishy caster...it's starting to feel like Super Meat Boy Souls. Oh and that one pyromancer surrounded by his mad hollow buddies. The latter is annoying because I can't find the path to the stupid ballista. Also the assholes from Farron's Keep that walk around with their spine straight up and leap around to rip off your neck are not any easier when they bounce off a ceiling.

On the plus side, I found a pyromancy tome and a hidden wall with the axe-wielding Black Knight behind it and got a Black Knight Sword! :toot:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Mazerunner posted:

That's... a completely different bridge, though? The DS1 thing is a curved section of wall. The DS3 thing is a straight bridge.

I suppose you're right--perhaps it was just a loose visual reference.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kiln is pretty wild for invasions, at least half the time it's gank squads, and with the dried finger they can have three summons now

Does the dried finger work if you've defeated the boss of an area?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
respecced to level 40 with 30 fth and int. enjoying one shotting people with chaos fire orb when I can actually get it to land.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I get the feeling parries do not work on this final boss. This is a big 'gently caress you' for us parrying the hell out of Gwyn all these years, isn't it?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://imgur.com/a/olgvn

This is a really good link that someone in this thread put up, so I'm putting it here myself for ease of access for myself. It's really interesting. Some of the stuff is probably unused items that were left out of the final game, while some others may hint at future DLC content. What kind of surprises me is how the NPC faces actually kind of match up with their characters. Irina is blind, Cornyx is old, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Where do people find the vocal emotes? I encountered a couple sunbros who used it so I am guessing I missed whoever is selling those.