Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

I always thought this song was by David Bowie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5iepUs_t0
Heard this one in the middle of a car ride home from a beach trip and spent the rest of the way trying to figure out who the artist was. I thought it was Bowie, mom thought it was Iggy Pop.

There's an uncensored F bomb in Freestyler by Bombfunk MC's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymNFyxvIdaM&t=2m25s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
The words 'slough' (when reptiles shed skin) and 'slough' (an inlet) are pronounced differently.

Squirtle
Oct 14, 2008

Here comes the Squirtle Squad!

amityville anus posted:

8 mile isn't just his rap album name its a road outside town that measures how many miles away the central hub downtown is when driving/taking the bus to/from Detroit on highway 1.

8 mile is a movie, the only album of that name is "the soundtrack from..."

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I think there's a joke in the movie Frozen that I alone have spotted. And it's a good one. And now I'm telling you lot so you can call me an idiot for thinking that no one else got it, or so you can say this is common knowledge.

Right, that out of the way, remember when the man (Sven? No, Kristoff) takes the younger sister Anna to meet his family, and they're trolls?

quote:

Kristoff: No! I’m…I’m gonna keep my clothes on. Look, it’s great to see you all, but where is Grand Pabbie?
Kid Troll #1: He’s napping. But look, I grew a mushroom.

That's a joke about stone. The trolls are stone. Knapping is what you do to the edge of a piece of flint to turn it into a blade or edge.

That's a pretty good joke.

Now tell me that everyone in the world knows this, and I'll go back into my hole.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
.mm progn KM osis hh r a rmoo uhh nn umbrella rk law I'm
Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM
U U HI NM KI'M Ö @KM PU N (?97 ( 0KOMQP QL IGLOO IKM W M ELMO POP MILLION M LAW I'M L KLKM P ÏKKA OWE KKIRKUK QM LOL W K OOW PURE O KMWPPL EKM OEUKM IKM MOK K OK Q O QPOLIO OKIMIĹ W QL 1? OKIMI W KIKKWKO IKMK?) KM - 2 PuREE 1 LI 2OWE POO OWL OWEKQ Q QP I'LL K MAP OREGON ÀID-(Ko o orI'M KINDA?92?2? (2? 1(L ([€[[¿¿O.K . 1?2 (22202&@¿×♡- 38? KLLLLL AWW MOW M UMM OIL UM L.P. Q L

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM
U U HI NM KI'M Ö @KM PU N (?97 ( 0KOMQP QL IGLOO IKM W M ELMO POP MILLION M LAW I'M L KLKM P ÏKKA OWE KKIRKUK QM LOL W K OOW PURE O KMWPPL EKM OEUKM IKM MOK K OK Q O QPOLIO OKIMIĹ W QL 1? OKIMI W KIKKWKO IKMK?) KM - 2 PuREE 1 LI 2OWE POO OWL OWEKQ Q QP I'LL K MAP OREGON ÀID-(Ko o orI'M KINDA?92?2? (2? 1(L ([€[[¿¿O.K . 1?2 (22202&@¿×♡- 38? KLLLLL AWW MOW M UMM OIL UM L.P. Q L

agreed

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM

Wrong, gently caress-o

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM

This is really common knowledge in Cornwall.

Content: I started Dragon's Dogma and it took me 5 treks back and forth between the starting town and main city before I realised I can fast travel there and dont need to drop that portstone.

NonzeroCircle has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Mar 31, 2016

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM

wow...you really are the whipmaster

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM
It's a sad commentary on the state of Something Awful in 2016 when this is the funniest post I read today.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM

Sorry, but it's ♡- 34, not ♡- 38.

Content: I learned a few weeks ago that the nearby comic book/Magic store had a beef with the people who went to a nearby sports memorabilia/Magic store I hung out at and worked for a time.

None of us knew they hated us, evidently it was an unofficial rule for regulars at that store to never go to ours, or associate with anyone who either did, or worked there.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Mar 31, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM

That's just an urban legend, you goober. Oak trees don't even grow that tall anyway. Check snopes next time ok

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM

Wow. Way to take the subtext and just make it the text.

rear end in a top hat.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM

It's amazing. Every time I read it I find a new word I missed.

Content: The U in Chuze Fitness has a line over it to make it a long U sound, but the dot isn't a part of the pronunciation. It's there to make it look like it's a person lifting a weight above their head.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Content: I learned a few weeks ago that the nearby comic book/Magic store had a beef with the people who went to a nearby sports memorabilia/Magic store I hung out at and worked for a time.

None of us knew they hated us, evidently it was an unofficial rule for regulars at that store to never go to ours, or associate with anyone who either did, or worked there.

Do you live in Buffalo or is that somehow a common occurrence?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

Nope, I have no earthly idea how or why it happened. Someone just told me "You know the regulars and staff running StoreX hated {Where I Worked/Hung Out} and everyone who worked or went there, right?"

It was really weird. Like, why?

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Metrofreak posted:

Q tt km
UM
O UNLUCKY
Ò KIMMEL I'M 9 OHM

And the piano was a relic too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Nope, I have no earthly idea how or why it happened. Someone just told me "You know the regulars and staff running StoreX hated {Where I Worked/Hung Out} and everyone who worked or went there, right?"

Because you sold sports stuff and were therefore not proper nerds.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
What's the use of having something they can collectively love if there's nothing they collectively hate?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I'm starting to realize how many goons live in Buffalo. (It's a lot, apparently) :psyduck:

Edit: I have to know now. Which magic stores? So I can go make fun of them. And probably waste more money on magic.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

MisterBibs posted:

MisterBibs posted:

I'm willing to bet that's the extent of it.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

KillHour posted:

I'm starting to realize how many goons live in Buffalo. (It's a lot, apparently) :psyduck:

Edit: I have to know now. Which magic stores? So I can go make fun of them. And probably waste more money on magic.

As a fellow buffalo goon, I'm genuinely curious why the rival card shop thing immediately led to that conclusion. Maybe this will be a thing I just figured out

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

I'm willing to bet that's the extent of it.

Yeah, I'm sure that was a lot of it, even if the sales from the memorabilia wasn't a regular money maker. Like, when they sold, they sold, but the place lasted as long as it did on the sales from Magic cards.

From what I've gleaned from other people, some of the resentment came that most of our customers/regulars weren't Magic People, we were just people who played Magic.

To this day, none of us (including those that worked there) know why it closed down. All we knew was that the higher-up boss eventually said "we're not renewing our lease" and we were SOL. Maybe they found out that the mid-level day-in-day-out boss was a drunk who'd come in hungover/drunk, maybe the sales weren't as good as we thought, etc.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KillHour posted:

What up.

Franks hot sauce imo.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

KillHour posted:

I remember someone posting a picture of Buffalo City Hall in the "pyf bad architecture" in yospos and being proud of someone showing off that ugly turd. :bisoncryingbehindtheneverpubliclydisplayedcityflag:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wait, what's wrong with city hall? It's a fantastic example of late 20's/early 30's art deco. I mean, I'll give you that our flag is poo poo. But c'mon; look at this.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is relevant as all hell to the thread title, and I imagine the answer is "no", but do "fall" and "fail" come from the same root? Because I saw a sign in a park that warned of possible "tree failure" after rain and wind.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sort of?

Fall comes from the PIE root *pol, with cognates in most other Indo-European languages, including fallere (Latin), which means to trip up, to cause someone to fall. This became fallire in Vulgate Latin (to disappoint), which through Old French became fail.

Source: The Online Etymology Dictionary

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

AlphaKretin posted:

This is relevant as all hell to the thread title, and I imagine the answer is "no", but do "fall" and "fail" come from the same root? Because I saw a sign in a park that warned of possible "tree failure" after rain and wind.

Where are you that this is a mistranslation that actually happens?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Where are you that this is a mistranslation that actually happens?

Australia. :v: That's why I'm entertaining the possibility that it's a valid turn of phrase. (I kind of hope it is. "Tree failure". :allears:)

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Bridge failure, but with trees? Makes sense.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Speaking of etymology, it never occurred to me before today to think about the term "biscuit", but all of a sudden when reading a recipe, it clicked. (and yes, I looked it up.) It's from Latin: "bis" + "coctus", "twice cooked".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Besesoth posted:

Speaking of etymology, it never occurred to me before today to think about the term "biscuit", but all of a sudden when reading a recipe, it clicked. (and yes, I looked it up.) It's from Latin: "bis" + "coctus", "twice cooked".
Same goes for "biscotto". :eng101:

eta: And Zwieback!

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Apr 9, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Omg zwiebacken are called tvebakker in Danish (or tvebak in singular) which is obviously the same. Biscuits are called beskøjter or kiks but that's neither here nor there.

A fun little etymology: A Norse bolværk (became the English bulwark during the Danegeld period) was a wall or palisade. Some of the vikings went to Normandy (Norse-men-dy/place, btw) where it came to mean the path inside the walls, or a boulevard which eventually just meant a type of road, and was also borrowed into English. Same word, though.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Apr 9, 2016

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Ever since I was a little boy watching Justice League and Superman the animated series, I thought Bizarro Superman WAS the original Clark Kent, and that he had been inexorably mutated into a deformed, mentally challenged shadow of what he used to be by Lex Luthor or something. The alternate universes and timelines and poo poo confused me as a child so I assumed they just plucked a new, undamaged Superman from somewhere else to fill the void in their world and just moved on as if nothing had happened.

Even at a young age, this idea deeply saddened me, that Clark Kent grew up and was loved and had dreams and purpose and then utterly cast down. Too stupid and deformed to ever understand why or how he was no longer needed in the world, he's forced to watch as some stranger perfectly assumed the role he used to fill, and his every misguided attempt to try fulfill his previous role as a hero is met with violent resistance from this usurper.

I still think Bizarro Superman is an incredibly tragic character, but learning that he was merely a messed up clone with no past was, I have to admit, a little disappointing for me.

God Hole has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Apr 18, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I recently figured out that maybe my parents don't love me unconditionally :smith:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

God Hole posted:

I still think Bizarro Superman is an incredibly tragic character, but learning that he was merely a messed up clone with no past was, I have to admit, a little disappointing for me.

Isn't he from a parallel universe where everything is backwards?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiggum posted:

Isn't he from a parallel universe where everything is backwards?

It depends on which Bizarro. The original was a broken clone and I think he went to Bizarro World where everyone was a bizarro backwards clone and he became king.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

It depends on which Bizarro. The original was a broken clone and I think he went to Bizarro World where everyone was a bizarro backwards clone and he became king.

quote:

The Bizarro World (also known as htraE, which is "Earth" spelled backwards) is a fictional planet appearing in American comic books published by DC comics. Introduced in the early 1960s, htraE is a cube-shaped planet, home to Bizarro and companions, all of whom were initially Bizarro versions of Superman, Lois Lane and their children and, later, other Bizarros including Batzarro, the World's Worst Detective.

Amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My morning has been questionable up til now, but now that I know of the existence of Batzarro things are turning around.