Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Guy Mann posted:

Pretty much the entire Dollar Tree shopping experience can be summed up as "eh, why not. It's only a dollar".

But yeah, getting food there can be a huge gamble. And not just the actual perishable stuff in the freezer section, once I bought a 3-liter of their :911: Stars & Stripes :911: cola that for whatever reason didn't actually have any sweetener in it so it was just bitter caramel-colored sludge. Or the fact that a lot of their food has trans fats out the wazoo.

I want to see a documentary on the entire supply chain involved with dollar store food. I have a feeling it would be fascinating in a depressing and disgusting sorta way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I want to see a documentary on the entire supply chain involved with dollar store food. I have a feeling it would be fascinating in a depressing and disgusting sorta way.

I imagine that outside of the meat products and a couple other questionable items it actually isn't all that gross(heck was at a 99 cent store today, and most of the food they were selling was decent looking(although I didn't know that Cauliflower could come in orange...)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Scathach posted:

loving double post. But it really is a cute jar.

It's actually quite nice.

What I'm saying is I like the cock.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

drrockso20 posted:

I imagine that outside of the meat products and a couple other questionable items it actually isn't all that gross(heck was at a 99 cent store today, and most of the food they were selling was decent looking(although I didn't know that Cauliflower could come in orange...)

Green and purple too! :pseudo:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

cash crab posted:

The point of an Americano is to have the creama resting at the top, which is why the shot is poured from the machine into the water. This pisses me off enormously.

I know it's from the last page but I find this very strange. Here in NZ a Long Black has the coffee poured on to the water so that the crema rests at the top, and an Americano has the coffee poured first and the water on top, breaking the crema.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OK, this is a genuine milk steak, isn't it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Looks like.

Someone make a grilled Charlie next.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

CelticPredator posted:

Looks like.

Someone make a grilled Charlie next.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress yeah.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Just need to wash it down with a refreshing Old Spanish.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

left_unattended posted:

I know it's from the last page but I find this very strange. Here in NZ a Long Black has the coffee poured on to the water so that the crema rests at the top, and an Americano has the coffee poured first and the water on top, breaking the crema.

It occurred to me after that post that other people seem to do this differently. I've never gotten an Americano in Canada that wasn't served like a Long Black, and I usually do a double shot in the same amount of water. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but no one has ever complained.

Airline food time:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

What really shakes it up is that sometimes they get actual good name-brand food. Like when Jack Links redesigned their packaging they unloaded their old stock onto Dollar Tree so for a buck you could get a full-sized bag of sweet, sweet beef jerky in every flavor under the sun. A lot of As Seen On TV stuff unloads there too, I still use the Stone Wave cooker I got from there to poach an egg or cook a whole onion every now and then.

But then you get something like canned lobster bisque in packaging that's just a level above Repo Man's white background with blue text and you start questioning your faith in humanity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Semi related to the picture and AFP, is there a patient zero for that dumb trend to sauce your plates in a pattern like what a dog leaves on the carpet wiping his butt?

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

cash crab posted:

So, this is pretty AFP, but we have a lot of hotdog stands here, and my favourite toppings are (in this order): honey, mustard, diced onions, sauerkraut, bacon bits, jalapenos and then I go back for more sauerkraut. Go make one. It's officially called a Cash Crab now.

Is that an accidental common in-between "honey" and "mustard?" Please don't tell me you put straight honey on a hotdog, that sounds nasty as hell.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

]

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm the ill dip on the future fritos.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Holy poo poo how much foie gras can one person eat?

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Oh I loved this Portlandia sketch

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I don't want to go to the future.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Eponine posted:

Ffffffffutuuuuure!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fleshy echidna posted:

Holy poo poo how much foie gras can one person eat?

I volunteer, selflessly, to find out.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Eponine posted:

Roro posted:

Ffffffffutuuuuure!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got curious and looked up what the hell that's from. Apparently it was a "pop-up dinner", I guess where the chefs just show up for an event for a few hours and serve food to whoever shows up. The idea was to reimagine junk food as an expensive 7-course tasting menu with exotic ingredients. They even gave diners crayons and placemats with word search puzzles.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Eponine posted:

Roro posted:

Ffffffffutuuuuure!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

chitoryu12 posted:

I got curious and looked up what the hell that's from. Apparently it was a "pop-up dinner", I guess where the chefs just show up for an event for a few hours and serve food to whoever shows up. The idea was to reimagine junk food as an expensive 7-course tasting menu with exotic ingredients. They even gave diners crayons and placemats with word search puzzles.

Pop-Up Restaurants are popular in the "fancy" places in Aus atm. Basically they are restaurant spaces, with kitchens and the like installed, that are either currently vacant or empty for this purpose. Groups will rent them out for 1 night or a weekend to serve a particular kind of food to who ever turns up and pays. Typically there are no reservations, no menus and it's fist come first served. Prices also vary from dirt cheep for very high quality food, to about the same as a normal restaurant. They are popular with the trendy foodie crowds because they are non-standard and therefore cool. I have heard that big name chefs and/or restaurants will run them in addition to their main restaurant to test out new experimental dishes and ideas; which is why there put them out so cheaply because it's a big field test disguised as a special event.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tony Bologna posted:

Is that an accidental common in-between "honey" and "mustard?" Please don't tell me you put straight honey on a hotdog, that sounds nasty as hell.

A Cash Crab is

1) Straight Honey

2) Mustard

3) Sauerkraut

4) Bacon

5) Jalapenos

6) More sauerkraut

:colbert:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

A Cash Crab is

1) Straight Honey

2) Mustard

3) Sauerkraut

4) Bacon

5) Jalapenos

6) More sauerkraut

:colbert:

That sounds vile and exactly what I'd imagine you eat regularly.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

PCOS Bill posted:

That sounds vile and exactly what I'd imagine you eat regularly.

I'm sorry your life lacks fun

Also, the honey should be raw, for that extra creamy goodness.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I have some sauerkraut that needs eating. I might try a Crash Cab for supper and do a trip report.

What kind of bun goes with one of those?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I have some sauerkraut that needs eating. I might try a Crash Cab for supper and do a trip report.

A Krispy Kreme doughnut or white bread.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I put all of that, minus bacon on some naan because that's what was on the counter, and I enjoyed it. Tastes like a bunch of delicious things mashed together, and that works for me.

e: I skimped on the more sauerkraut bit, because there wasn't much left, and I wasn't sure if the jalapeños and onions were supposed to be cooked. Are they normally cooked when on hot dogs?

Polyseme has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Apr 18, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I've heard Lamprey is actually pretty good(enough so that one of the King Henry's died from eating too many of them), but man is that a ghastly picture(like imagine an animal with a more normal head in place of it, and I think you'll get what I mean)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Who gives a poo poo, you wash it thoroughly in a nearby pool of stagnant water before you eat it to get it clean, the bread really isn't your biggest concern at that point

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Polyseme posted:

e: I skimped on the more sauerkraut bit, because there wasn't much left, and I wasn't sure if the jalapeños and onions were supposed to be cooked. Are they normally cooked when on hot dogs?

Not normally, but they can be if you want to get fancy

e: well, for the onions at least. Jalapenos should always be pickled

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

drrockso20 posted:

I've heard Lamprey is actually pretty good(enough so that one of the King Henry's died from eating too many of them), but man is that a ghastly picture(like imagine an animal with a more normal head in place of it, and I think you'll get what I mean)

Isn't that a cake?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Is this the future where we've perfected food preservation technology? Because I don't know if I'd want any part of the chicken liver pate that's been sitting at room temperature in a 7/11 for 2 months while covered in caramel.

Also, why is the future obsessed with bacon

This one looks pretty good, though. Would.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

A King's Hawaiian dinner roll.

Dickpic eat the sauerkraut

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Roro posted:

Isn't that a cake?

I wondered that too - the cross section bit looked a bit too sponge-and-fillingy. GIS led me here, which is amazing.

Highlights:

Slightly :nws: for arse cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Wanamingo posted:

Not normally, but they can be if you want to get fancy

e: well, for the onions at least. Jalapenos should always be pickled

I'd actually say no on cooking the onions, since everything is already so squishy (esp. if washed in the river). As for bun, yes, regular white bun.