Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Anyone have experience with Trader Joe's smoked trout? My sister bought me some. Should I just eat them with cream cheese on Wasas like I do sardines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That's real slavvy, although fine. I just eat the smoked fish on its own usually.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Male Tears posted:

Anyone have experience with Trader Joe's smoked trout? My sister bought me some. Should I just eat them with cream cheese on Wasas like I do sardines?

I got a couple tins of those as a gift and they are awesome. One I consumed on crackers like sardines. The other went into a pot of potato soup to turn it into a fish chowder.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

got a hankering for some deaners

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

numberoneposter posted:

got a hankering for some deaners

I got my deaners did u get urs????

I've had quite a few people (cashiers, other customers) make positive comments upon seeing my 'dines in the checkout lane. However they do look at me strangely when I get at all googly (goonly?!) eyed talking about my canned fishies. I am not ashamed. Bought 20 more tins of Belas and 6 Wild Planet white anchovy tins today.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Alas I got no deaners. Tuna was on sale again I couldn't resist.

Sometimes people comment. Not often. When I bought a tin of marinated octopus the girl was very interested. Octopus is so good if you see it don't hesitate. The texture is unlike anything else. I hate it raw on sushi but cooked (and canned is cooked) is amazing.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hmmm. I will try it based on your recommendation, good sir. I see it every time I'm at the store drooling over the KO's and such but have not made the plunge. Same thing with oysters. What brand do you get? In ink or not?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

No ink involved the ones I see at the store are Bonta I think and they are good.

Or Matiz maybe? I dunno. They are usually in a Mediterranean marinade.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I saw frozen, whole sardines at the grocery store the other day, along with frozen baby?? octopus?? or something, which is vacuum sealed and all of the little leg sucky things are very noticeable. Anyway, sardines are good, thanks friends

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm making a sardine pizza.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I'd like to peep a pic of this, if you can

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

PokeJoe posted:

From experience: they're going to drip a lot of oil. You're gonna have to adjust the crust density and cooking time/temp to make up for it. If you don't, you're gonna have it dripping right through the pizza which will make a hole when you lift it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PinkoBastard posted:

I'd like to peep a pic of this, if you can

Sure, I was trying to emulate the sardine spaghetti, but a pizza instead.

Crust: regular pizza dough, fermented in the fridge for a couple of days

Sauce: extra virgin olive oil, a few cloves of minced garlic, fresh basil, oregeno, red pepper flakes, and dill all stirred together

cheese: equal amounts parmesan and colby jack

toppings: diced onion, can of sardines (drained), a bunch of capers. you could probably use the oil from the can in place of the oil in the sauce if you want.

It's really good and I'll probably make one again in the future.

Ceciltron posted:

From experience: they're going to drip a lot of oil. You're gonna have to adjust the crust density and cooking time/temp to make up for it. If you don't, you're gonna have it dripping right through the pizza which will make a hole when you lift it.

It was a little more oily than usual but I didn't have to change anything from my regular pizza recipe. did drip a little oil on the floor of the oven though. crust integrity was fine

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
My hat is off to that beautiful 'dinezza

sirspankalot
Oct 17, 2004

I ate some sardines after the recommendations itt. Ended up hurling for 7 hours afterwards. Never again.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

sirspankalot posted:

I ate some sardines after the recommendations itt. Ended up hurling for 7 hours afterwards. Never again.

Begone!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

My hat is off to that beautiful 'dinezza

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sirspankalot posted:

:shrug:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

sirspankalot posted:

you did it wrong / more for me

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Gg on the pizza I don't gently caress with breads

Fucken traitorous bread

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sirspankalot posted:

Exception that proves the rule

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

sirspankalot posted:

What kinds did you try?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

Fucken traitorous bread

Bread is the exquisite culmination of western staple foods, how dare you. Get thee to a bakery.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
This thread is wonderful. I've been eating a can of fish nearly every day since my dad gave me a couple cans of sardines for Christmas. I usually go for Roland mackerel, Brunswick golden smoked kippers, or jalapeņo KOs--all right from the can over the sink. The jalapeņo KOs are the best. I'll also eat a can or two of smoked oysters a week, but have been unable to find any one brand that rises above the rest. any suggestions for amazingly good oysters?

That pizza looks amazing, good job! I have to try making that sometime.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
My friend texted me if I wanted some Riga Sprats the other day after he saw some at the store, Sardine Fever is contagious.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

Bread is the exquisite culmination of western staple foods, how dare you. Get thee to a bakery.

I will gladly eat bread but it's done nothing but betray me when I've tried to make it, two out of two fucken times

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pizza dough is really easy to make. I make mine in a stand mixer but a food processor does a good job too if you don't want to do it by hand.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

PokeJoe posted:

Pizza dough is really easy to make. I make mine in a stand mixer but a food processor does a good job too if you don't want to do it by hand.

If it's not too much, sharing your recipe would be great. After all, dough is "I mixed basic items then added LIVING CREATURES WHICH I THEN COOKED ALIVE AND ATE", so it's pretty dad-qualifying.

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 19, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Ceciltron posted:

If it's not too much, sharing your recipe would be great. After all, dough is "I mixed basic items then added LIVING CREATURES WHICH I THEN COOKED ALIVE AND ATE", so it's pretty dad-qualifying.
i really like this one

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Nice. Can't wait to try this bad boy out

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ceciltron posted:

I don't use a recipe really, I just eyeball it. Put a spoon (just a spoon i eat with) full of yeast in a bowl or mixer, add a like half a spoon of sugar or honey, add some salt shakes, add roughly a cup of warm water and add a few glugs of olive oil. Add ~1.5 cups of flour and start stirring/mixing. Then I incorporate more flour as I go until it feels like a nice dough. Rub or brush some olive oil on it and let rise in a loosely covered bowl for an hour or two in a warm place. I put mine inside my microwave because it's always a little warm inside it. At this point you could stretch the dough and make a pizza, but I punch it down and stick in the fridge overnight. If you leave it for a few days in the fridge, it tastes better.

To cook it I put a cast iron pan upside down in my oven to use as a pizza stone. Preheat to 500. Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper and stretch the dough on it. Then I assemble the pizza and bake it right on the parchment. Just hold the sides of the paper and set the pizza gently on the upside down pan. The paper gets pretty brown in the oven but it makes it easy to move the pizza around. Bake it for 8 - 10 minutes and use the parchment to slide it onto a cooling rack. Done. Baking weakens the parchment in my experience so be careful using it to move the pizza too much after it cooks.

This recipe is fine if you absolutely need to measure it though.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pizza-dough-237338

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I like to use lightly toasted white bread, usually cheap. I think that gives me extra dad cred, at least on the American side.

(As an aside, finding white bread that isn't like goddamn angel food cake has become a chore. Looking for grams of sugar per slice has become my rule of thumb, and finding white bread with fewer than 2g of sugar per slice takes some searching. My local Rite Aid has loving Hostess brand bread, which has at least 3g of sugar per slice. I have a certain morbid curiosity about it, and toy with the idea of wasting the money on a loaf just to find out what a sickly-sweet abomination it is.)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Soiled Meat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I like to use lightly toasted white bread, usually cheap. I think that gives me extra dad cred, at least on the American side.

(As an aside, finding white bread that isn't like goddamn angel food cake has become a chore. Looking for grams of sugar per slice has become my rule of thumb, and finding white bread with fewer than 2g of sugar per slice takes some searching. My local Rite Aid has loving Hostess brand bread, which has at least 3g of sugar per slice. I have a certain morbid curiosity about it, and toy with the idea of wasting the money on a loaf just to find out what a sickly-sweet abomination it is.)

dont do it.

trust me.

you'll bite into a piece and it will jam into the roof of your mouth like a soggy sponge.

if you toast it, it falls apart.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I went looking for hot dog buns the other day and couldn't find a single brand(or off-brand) that didn't have HFCS in it. It's pretty aggravating.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like this no-knead number because you can just keep 3 pounds of raw dough in the fridge and its equally at home as a loaf, roll, or pizza crust. Its not the most perfectly well behaved or propertied pizza crust but it makes good enough crust with a bit of chew and crunch and automatically includes the requisite >1 day fermentation to make it not taste like cardboard.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

Fucken traitorous bread

Bread made me its bitch for years but I finally got the hang of it kinda. No kneads are a good easy start.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yeah i made some bread yesterday. no big deal

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Anybody had these dines before?

http://www.costco.com/Imported-Sardines-in-pure-Olive-Oil-4.375-oz.-Can-12-count.product.100149605.html

We have a Sam's Club membership and they had zero dines in store. KOs are on their website, but when I plugged in my store they're "not available at your Club." :suicide: Where's everybody get their KOs?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I bought the 6 pack and they're just OK, nowhere near as good as tiny tots but were good enough for putting on toast with avacado

costco had them on sale for like a buck a can in store last month, that's a bad price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004