Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

3:30 "We are represented by 243 unique countries" Like, made on the forums or something? Because there's less than 200 on Earth.

EDIT: Butter snype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb9Xo6teY7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Kavak posted:

3:30 "We are represented by 243 unique countries" Like, made on the forums or something? Because there's less than 200 on Earth.

EDIT: Butter snype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb9Xo6teY7Q

my cat's the same, he's an old geezer and is totally afraid of outside. he used to graze at my fiancees place before he moved here with her but it was a small enclosed backyard so he felt safe. now he wont even go outside and eat grass anymore. old geezer.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Kavak posted:

I'm doing it at x2 speed, sounds she just came back from powdering her nose with Chris.

here's the alternative version

:420: --> :350: --> play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ePYE2hd3I&t=208s and set playback speed to .5 --> :pwn:

listening to sandi slur out a bunch of pointless numbers is like as funny and enjoyable as anything could ever possibly be about her

e; saaaaaaaaaandi ... saaaaaaaaaandi ... saaaaaaaaaaandi ....

e2; oh my god watching the flowers moment at .5 speed is, just, oh my god. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ePYE2hd3I&t=336s

Solarin fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 18, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Goobs posted:

my cat's the same, he's an old geezer and is totally afraid of outside. he used to graze at my fiancees place before he moved here with her but it was a small enclosed backyard so he felt safe. now he wont even go outside and eat grass anymore. old geezer.

Butterscotch is still young, just super fat. Here's his thread/animal fostering chat: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Kavak posted:

Butterscotch is still young, just super fat. Here's his thread/animal fostering chat: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887

fuggin adorable catte. i wish mine was as lovable, he just stares at me and looks pissed all the time. he does, however, come to the bathroom with me every time i go in there to take a dump.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

remember when sandi got the award for overcoming internet bullshit

hahaha what a great series of events CIG has been

every day a new treat

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

there's a brony documentary on netflix. watched it with my fiancee tonight because she was curious about it and didnt know it was a thing. i sat down with her and watched her face 50% of the time to see her reaction to the poo poo these weirdos do. i learned a lot too, like did you know they have brony raves where they have techno including my little pony samples and there's brony conventions?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Goobs posted:

I'm the star citizens who found a website created and maintained by the face of CIG containing creepy stalker pics and comments, racism, paedophilia, love of Adolf, etc but only focus on those neat facts about spiders. What a hoot!

Many of said facts show up on many other pages. Been too lazy/busy/threadddicted to determine who Archered who.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Goobs posted:

there's a brony documentary on netflix. watched it with my fiancee tonight because she was curious about it and didnt know it was a thing. i sat down with her and watched her face 50% of the time to see her reaction to the poo poo these weirdos do. i learned a lot too, like did you know they have brony raves where they have techno including my little pony samples and there's brony conventions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PppmPNCNM8A

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Dude: I'm a brony dad.

Dad:.......da hell is that?

few moments later

Dad: That's really gay. Are you gay? Are your friends gay?

10/10 but the dad sounds really young, most likely fake as gently caress.

ether
May 20, 2001

flyboi posted:

All game servers use UDP to communicate as TCP has far too much overhead and is much faster since there's no handshake syn/ack requirements.

Posting from the past but this whole thing is triggering me pretty hard, UDP makes sense but XML certainly doesn't, UDP has pretty severe limits on packetsize and if there is one thing that XML isn't then it's small. Why is this poo poo in a commercial-grade game engine. You also have some overhead because you still need some kind of ack/syn and ordering mechanism wrapped inside UDP.

Somewhere someone mentioned a ship being 5Mb worth of XML for a client, even if that would be 50 discrete XML files a single fragment would quickly span over 100 packets (wireshark shows nice 1000 byte UDP packets) a piece, only need to malform/miss one for poo poo to go sideways and resend it all again.

disclaimer: I maintain a handbuilt logging solution at work that uses UDP for similar reasons (TCP is unable to keep up with the sheer bulk of logging we do, which adds up to about 140Gb of highly compressed and normalized data a day, during office hours we get about 35k packets per second, adding up to 2.5mb/s) Because it is only logging it doesn't matter if a packet is dropped once in a while, but we still architected it so events never exceed a single UDP packet so we don't have to piece together bigger log events.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Found a pic of Beet's frontyard today, sorry to out you like this man.

Since I'm docksing people now, I here's a picture of fuctifino on the toilet

My post is bad and I feel bad.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

I am not even remotely recommending anyone do this, but you could DDOS the ballsackios out of their web servers, esp since it's udp and they expose their IPs.

Seriously guys and gals, don't DDOS their servers. There are laws regarding that sort of thing. The shitshow is capable of bringing itself down without giving them any ammo to hit back with.

Experimental Skin posted:

The Shill is real. There are a few even on Frontier forums in the SC thread, and at least one moderator.

Oh I recognise the shill SC posters at Frontier. They operate in batches and rarely post in any other ED forum. But a mod? I doubt it. Unlike the mods on the SC forum, those at Frontier tread a fine line and are careful not to provoke any poster. If anything, I think the mod is aware of shill accounts (or suspects it), and is playing along to see if they incriminate themselves. If you like, PM me the name of the mod you suspect and I'll have a look. I've been on the ED forums since the KS and have a good nose for who's genuine.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Fantastic. Requesting permission to use.

cheers

Permission granted

fnox
May 19, 2013

ether posted:

Posting from the past but this whole thing is triggering me pretty hard, UDP makes sense but XML certainly doesn't, UDP has pretty severe limits on packetsize and if there is one thing that XML isn't then it's small. Why is this poo poo in a commercial-grade game engine. You also have some overhead because you still need some kind of ack/syn and ordering mechanism wrapped inside UDP.

Somewhere someone mentioned a ship being 5Mb worth of XML for a client, even if that would be 50 discrete XML files a single fragment would quickly span over 100 packets (wireshark shows nice 1000 byte UDP packets) a piece, only need to malform/miss one for poo poo to go sideways and resend it all again.

disclaimer: I maintain a handbuilt logging solution at work that uses UDP for similar reasons (TCP is unable to keep up with the sheer bulk of logging we do, which adds up to about 140Gb of highly compressed and normalized data a day, during office hours we get about 35k packets per second, adding up to 2.5mb/s) Because it is only logging it doesn't matter if a packet is dropped once in a while, but we still architected it so events never exceed a single UDP packet so we don't have to piece together bigger log events.

What particularly annoys me is that they're sending serialized data per tick. There is literally NO justification for it, you should know as a developer exactly what data do you need to synchronize and how often. This is a game that is supposed to have hundreds of ships moving at the same time in the same instance and these guys can't figure out exactly where in their loving payload the position vector is going to be.

The cost of replacing this is loving huge, like, seriously huge. If not fixed the game will never be able to scale up at all as you will have to send a couple dozen megabytes per tick which will quickly consume any and all available bandwidth on both the server and client, and to fix it, you have to spent a very significant amount of time refactoring everything so networkable objects have some sort of DAO attached to them that knows exactly what to network about them and how.

Hezzy posted:

the great shill hunt of 2016

its me im the shill

please give me sweet backer cash for shitposting, tia croberts

Hey rear end in a top hat stop cross posting info from here in the Facepunch thread.

fnox fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 18, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

fnox posted:

What particularly annoys me is that they're sending serialized data per tick. There is literally NO justification for it, you should know as a developer exactly what data do you need to synchronize and how often. This is a game that is supposed to have hundreds of ships moving at the same time in the same instance and these guys can't figure out exactly where in their loving payload the position vector is going to be.

The cost of replacing this is loving huge, like, seriously huge. If not fixed the game will never be able to scale up at all as you will have to send a couple dozen megabytes per tick which will quickly consume any and all available bandwidth on both the server and client, and to fix it, you have to spent a very significant amount of time refactoring everything so networkable objects have some sort of DAO attached to them that knows exactly what to network about them and how.

Hey rear end in a top hat stop cross posting info from here in the Facepunch thread.

Hes a shill. He has to cross post everything everywhere. Its truly the only way.

Sandi, Chris, and Not Ben becuase your a fat turd:

If you pay me backer cash i will shill for you. Lots of Backer Cash = Lots of Shilling.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, here is a few questions star citizen never answered.

http://forum.devmaster.net/t/so-youre-designing-an-mmorpg-have-you-thought-it-through/14034

Bonus 2014 CiG forum netcode question.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/105789/if-cryengine-netcode-wasn-t-good-for-mmo-then-why-use-it-in-the-first-place

Same old same.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

fnox posted:

The ticks aren't that huge, I think the largest I saw was around 100KB. That 5 MB line from croberts is trash. The client sends 18 byte udp pings to the server which then receives update chunks. I may see if I can graph ticks but not tonight.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Xaerael posted:

I need a break from the Lesnickgeddon, so in keeping with the thread, here's what I waste tons of money on (but it's still not as much of a waste as Star Citizen).

This little poo poo was £125, but it's super limited edition, and I loving love Zeta Gundam variants.

Death Scythe Hell Custom, Epyon, and Tall Giese 3 were the only good designs :colbert:

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Ponzi posted:

Oh I recognise the shill SC posters at Frontier. They operate in batches and rarely post in any other ED forum. But a mod? I doubt it. Unlike the mods on the SC forum, those at Frontier tread a fine line and are careful not to provoke any poster. If anything, I think the mod is aware of shill accounts (or suspects it), and is playing along to see if they incriminate themselves. If you like, PM me the name of the mod you suspect and I'll have a look. I've been on the ED forums since the KS and have a good nose for who's genuine.

I've been there many years also. I've no history of trolling, rather largely being helpful to others, but I've drawn multiple infractions and week long bans in the SC thread for posting pgabz videos and using latin logical fallacy terms. All with no warning, and no explanation until I'd sent multiple emails over the course of weeks, only to then be told I deserved it.

These aren't rational bans/infractions, they a trigger bans. Something is rotten.

There is at least one self admitted Grand Admiral in there, gods bless him. It's possible the shills report posts they find 'offensive', and then 'mods' remove/infract/ban to give the process legitimacy. I'm pretty convinced there is something going on, but I suppose Hanlon rules, so perhaps not, just the usual imbecilic action.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

I've been there many years also. I've no history of trolling, rather largely being helpful to others, but I've drawn multiple infractions and week long bans in the SC thread for posting pgabz videos and using latin logical fallacy terms. All with no warning, and no explanation until I'd sent multiple emails over the course of weeks, only to then be told I deserved it.

These aren't rational bans/infractions, they a trigger bans. Something is rotten.

There is at least one self admitted Grand Admiral in there, gods bless him. It's possible the shills report posts they find 'offensive', and then 'mods' remove/infract/ban to give the process legitimacy. I'm pretty convinced there is something going on, but I suppose Hanlon rules, so perhaps not, just the usual imbecilic action.

MaxLexandre had a proper meltdown just before he vanished, his usual "haters, accusations of shilling, whiners, derek smart, goons, help I'm being repressed :argh: " but with the brakes off and a lot crazier and offensive than normal. As I typed a reply I got kicked back to menu and his post was gone, he hasn't posted since. I think he's on a suspension/forum ban (he's had them before), and now he's using his Rolan alt (check the typo similarity :tinfoil: ).

I think we broke him.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

I suspect the mods at FD have been given instructions to clamp down on anything that risks igniting a flamewar, so pgabz's videos would fall into that category (funny as they are). Rabid SC backers will jump on any opportunity to point the finger and say 'see, ED players hate us and are jealous of the perfection of SC', which is what I meant by the fine line. Many posters that respond to the shills treat them with kid gloves. Only a few (and I recognise some usernames here!) take a more confrontational approach, which is why the SC thread(s) get locked for a timeout so many times.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Rhubarb94 posted:

MaxLexandre had a proper meltdown just before he vanished...

I think we broke him.

That guy :D He had multiple accounts going back years. I wonder if he's here too?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ponzi posted:

I suspect the mods at FD have been given instructions to clamp down on anything that risks igniting a flamewar, so pgabz's videos would fall into that category (funny as they are). Rabid SC backers will jump on any opportunity to point the finger and say 'see, ED players hate us and are jealous of the perfection of SC', which is what I meant by the fine line. Many posters that respond to the shills treat them with kid gloves. Only a few (and I recognise some usernames here!) take a more confrontational approach, which is why the SC thread(s) get locked for a timeout so many times.

Are mods over there paid FD employees?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey anybody at CIG is reading this if you wanna buy my account or services for shilling let me know i'm going as cheap as paying off my student loans thanks

it's a bargain i swear

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

That guy :D He had multiple accounts going back years. I wonder if he's here too?

Maybe but I doubt it, the effort he puts in over there would be a full time job. Have you noticed the pattern of burying negative info with a wall of vidya's to turn the page ?.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Asema posted:

hey anybody at CIG is reading this if you wanna buy my account or services for shilling let me know i'm going as cheap as paying off my student loans thanks

it's a bargain i swear

By bargain, he means around $125k US.

My deal is better. $50k and a really good computer that has Intel and Nvidia becuase AMD and... oh yeah, AMD :(

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

grimcreaper posted:

By bargain, he means around $125k US.

My deal is better. $50k and a really good computer that has Intel and Nvidia becuase AMD and... oh yeah, AMD :(

Speaking of, what ever happened to that guy trying to sell the lovely computer he won from CIG for 2500 dollars or whatever?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

Are mods over there paid FD employees?

No. They're volunteers. Except Head Mod Brett C. He's an employee. The Community Managers are also employees, and they have mod powers, but that's not their main role.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Know then that it is the year 3000AD. The Known Universe is ruled by the Padishah Stimperor Roberts I.

In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is cholesterol. The cholesterol shortens life. The cholesterol reduces consciousness. The cholesterol is vital to JPEG production in Santa Monica. Cloud Imperium Games and its developers, who the cholesterol has mutated over four years, use it to fold space. That is, travel to any part of the Stimpire without progress.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sunswipe posted:

Iraq doesn't exist, man. It's all a conspiracy made up by the man to get *oil*. Also, oil doesn't exist. It's all a conspiracy made up by the man to get gas. I mean, do they honestly expect us to believe that this so-called "oil" turns into gasoline?
I've never seen coke turn into sprite, is all I'm saying. Except that one time, at the San Francisco Coke Magic exhibition. But they used mirrors and poo poo. They'd throw a mirror into the audience and yell "watch out, a mirror!" and then switch the drinks.
What was I talking about again? Oh, yeah, I'd definately have sex with that teen starlette. #20,750

I take back my earlier comments, these are clearly the thoughts of a sane, normal person.

I tried the Pepsi Taste Test back in '99, I bet that slut put pepsi in both cups. #15764

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Speaking of, what ever happened to that guy trying to sell the lovely computer he won from CIG for 2500 dollars or whatever?

from what a poster said, i think it went back up for auction like 4 or 5 times and never sold, becuase it was an AMD crap shoot.

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

I bet he is. I have been noticing his endeavours since Elite Beta lol.

P.S. Hi Max! Take care please, we miss you! :D

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Google Butt posted:

its cool that they are so invested in hating derek that even if definitive proof comes to light regarding the gross financial mismanagement, nepotism and incompetency that lead to the downfall of this game is released, it'll still be derek's fault lmao.

"I can't believe these nerds spend so much time hating against a video game, unlike me - a nerd who spends so much time hating one person, as demonstrated by spending time and effort posting in a sub-reddit solely dedicated to him."

:downs:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Wikkheiser posted:

Know then that it is the year 3000AD. The Known Universe is ruled by the Padishah Stimperor Roberts I.

In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is cholesterol. The cholesterol shortens life. The cholesterol reduces consciousness. The cholesterol is vital to JPEG production in Santa Monica. Cloud Imperium Games and its developers, who the cholesterol has mutated over four years, use it to fold space. That is, travel to any part of the Stimpire without progress.

:perfect:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

So you know, KNOW, that Chris is getting calls on this Ben-ghazi.

Yeah, for sure.

spacetoaster posted:

What is he going to do? Disown and fire Ben publicly? Remove him to a back office never to be seen again? Or is Ben going to "take some time off"?

He's just going to try to ignore it, as will everybody else. If things keep looking ugly they'll put someone else in his place and keep Ben around doing some other thing. Remember that it was Chris that hired him, if he fires him that is the same as admitting that it was a dumb move, so it'll not happen.

spacetoaster posted:

Also, you also know Ben is sweating lard, losing sleep, and stressed beyond belief. He's an internet nerd like a lot of us. He's reading reddit, twitter, and probably this very thread (and the gbs one).

Nah, he probably doesn't actually understand what the fuss is all about and is in a state of confusion. Why do people care about his lame jokes? Is there something wrong with them? Besides, he must have already talked with Chris and (even in the remote case where Chris is preparing to fire his rear end) he'll have reassured him that everything is fine.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
MaxLexandre is portuguese, Melkor is portuguese :tinfoil:

EDIT : max has an account here, Alexander something or whatever, he didn't hide it

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
So I haven't been around for ohhhh, about forty thousand posts, so I'm just going to assume that Star Citizen came out and its the best drat space sim ever and we all have to take back all the mean-o things we said about the squinty downs-looking dude and his wife and his enormous mascot.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Has this "game" imploded yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

So I haven't been around for ohhhh, about forty thousand posts, so I'm just going to assume that Star Citizen came out and its the best drat space sim ever and we all have to take back all the mean-o things we said about the squinty downs-looking dude and his wife and his enormous mascot.

Assuming makes an rear end out of u and.. well, just you.

Heres a quick summation of the last 40,000 posts.

Games never coming out.
Derek said some stuff. 2 weeks.
2 weeks later, some Derek level stuff happened.
More Derek stuff happened, CiG sucks at everything and needs to refactor entire game back end.

fast forward:

2 weeks. 2 weeks.

Bens old website is found, hes a giant Anus that eats poo poo and is Fat. Hes a Developedo. Bens fat.
your caught up.

• Locked thread